Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't 24 (TV series) getting a Blu-ray release?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-01-14, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Amazon at least, 24 is getting a new complete series set including Live Another Day on DVD but not on Blu-ray. Why isn't this coming to Blu-ray? I thought 24 was pretty popular, and I would think it would be a big seller. I can understand obscure shows not getting a Blu-ray release, but 24 not getting a Blu-ray release just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-01-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Re: Why isn't 24 (TV series) getting a Blu-ray release?

This has been covered before. Seasons 7 and 8 along with Live Another Day are/will be on Blu Ray. But, a complete series isn't happening.

TV on Blu-Ray, especially for FOX, has been poor sellers. They have discontinued producing BDs for a few of their shows including Modern Family and Bones. Many FOX titles only get DVD releases.

Back to 24, Seasons 1-3 were shot in SD Enhanced Widescreen. Season 4 was the first time it was broadcast in HD. All the seasons can be watched in HD on Directv's Audience Network or Amazon Prime, but FOX doesn't want to spend the money to master them to disc apparently. I don't know the technical aspects, but I've read that mastering them to disc is expensive. So it's probably not worth it for FOX to risk doing it. The reality is that most people just don't want to spend the money on catalog titles anymore. Complete Series sets, especially on BD, aren't cheap. Look at all the hesitation in the Breaking Bad complete series thread on whether or not to buy that set. And that is one of the most popular shows in this forum. Most in that thread think the sets are too expensive. And now you think people will spend a couple hundred bucks on 24?

Last edited by DJariya; 09-01-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 07:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Thankfully we can own Dick Van Dyke and Little House on the Praire though.
Old 09-01-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's always the possibility Fox releases it in others territories on Blu-ray.

Universal has released House as a Complete Series box in the UK, Germany, and soon France. Only the last 3 seasons were released on BD here. Although, from what I've read, they cheapened Seasons 6 - 8 and re-authored them without lossless audio and used standard DD 5.1 as a cost-saving measure for the amount of discs needed.

Last edited by My Other Self; 09-01-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Possibly, but decidedly unlikely. The market for TV on Blu is demonstrably pretty small, and for archival stuff, smaller still .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-02-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Back to 24, Seasons 1-3 were shot in SD Enhanced Widescreen.
Nah, it was shot on film. How they originally aired doesn't necessarily reflect a limitation of the source material. Plenty of those 'enhanced widescreen' series on Fox have popped up in HD since then.

With HD masters clearly already handy, there's nothing technical getting in the way (unless Fox just isn't happy with the way those early seasons look in high-def).
Old 05-31-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, this MIGHT be good news. The remaining six seasons of 24 are getting released in Japan on July 21st. All six seasons are available for preorder on Amazon Japan. Fingers crossed for a US release.

Old 06-02-17, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

"Legacy" has been unofficially cancelled, right? I read somewhere that Corey Hawkins was essentially allowed out of his contract to do a Broadway show. I never got past the second episode...I didn't care for it at all.
Old 06-03-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I wonder if those will be region free. I'm down for revisiting seasons 1-3 & 5.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
"Legacy" has been unofficially cancelled, right? I read somewhere that Corey Hawkins was essentially allowed out of his contract to do a Broadway show. I never got past the second episode...I didn't care for it at all.
Same...so far. I started it when it aired, but let it pile up on the tivo for summer viewing.
Old 06-03-17, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I wonder if those will be region free. I'm down for revisiting seasons 1-3 & 5.
Japan and the U.S. share the same region code, unless you really want a region free Blu-ray.
Old 06-04-17, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

As much as I love "24", I'll skip the blu-ray releases. Though hopefully any new releases will pick up some new fans.

I finished 24 Legacy and I'm on the fence about getting the eventual blu-ray release. It was a lazy attempt at trying to revive the franchise. It didn't fool anybody.
Old 06-04-17, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EinCB
Japan and the U.S. share the same region code, unless you really want a region free Blu-ray.
That's what I meant.
Old 06-05-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Off topic but reading this thread makes me miss a couple posters. I always wondered what happened to My Other Self as it seems like he was here one day and then just never came back and even taffer while annoying at times was entertaining.
Old 06-06-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Off topic but reading this thread makes me miss a couple posters. I always wondered what happened to My Other Self as it seems like he was here one day and then just never came back and even taffer while annoying at times was entertaining.
I saw who posted this thread and stopped clicked because I thought maybe he was back.
Old 06-19-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apparently the Japanese releases just have lossy audio. If they were exclusive to Japan and decidedly not trial runs for a U.S. release, I'd be disappointed but not surprised.
Old 09-27-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

adding to this thread, for anyone who wants 24 Legacy (also not on Blu-ray!)

Source: tvshowsondvd.com

THE CLOCK COUNTS DOWN AGAIN WITH

24: LEGACY

Available on DVD on November 14th

The clock ticks again with 24: Legacy, the next evolution of the Emmy Award-winning series 24, arriving on DVD November 14th from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. The 12 episode series chronicles an adrenaline-fueled race against time to stop a devastating terrorist attack on United States soil - in the same real-time format that has propelled this genre-defining series.

Six months ago in Yemen, an elite squad of U.S. Army Rangers, led by Sergeant Eric Carter (Corey Hawkins), killed terrorist leader Sheik Ibrahim Bin-Khalid. In the aftermath, Bin-Khalid's followers declared a threat against Carter, his squad and their families, forcing them into federal witness protection. But a recent attempt on Carter's own life makes it clear to him that his team has been exposed.

To thwart further attacks, Carter enlists Rebecca Ingram (Miranda Otto), who directed the raid that killed Bin-Khalid; a brilliant and ambitious intelligence officer who has stepped down from her post as National Director of the Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) to support her husband, Senator John Donovan (Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner Jimmy Smits), in his campaign for President of the United States.

The series also stars Teddy Sears (The Flash, Masters of Sex) as Keith Mullins, head of CTU; Emmy Award winner Dan Bucatinsky (Scandal, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life) as Andy Shalowitz, communications analyst at CTU; Anna Diop (Quantico, Greenleaf) as Nicole Carter, the wife of Eric Carter and nurse; Ashley Thomas (The Night Of, Black Mirror) as Eric's older brother Isaac Carter; Charlie Hofheimer (Off Season, Mad Men) as Ben Grimes who suffers from PTSD after being in the army and Eric's old comrade in arms; Coral Peņa (Blue Bloods) as computer analyst Mariana Stiles; Emmy Award winner Gerald McRaney (This Is Us, House of Cards, Deadwood) as Henry Donovan, a powerful man in the oil industry who is dedicated to helping his son John Donovan win the presidential election; Raphael Acloque (Burnt, The Danish Girl) as Jadalla Bin-Khalid who has continued his father's jihadist campaign; and Sheila Vand (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Argo) as Nilaa Mizrani, campaign manager to presidential hopeful, John Donovan. Carlos Bernard (Hawaii Five-0, Castle) also guest stars in a recurring role, reprising his original series character, Tony Almeida.

24: Legacy is created by Manny Coto (24, 24: Live Another Day) and Evan Katz (24, 24: Live Another Day), based on the television series 24, created by Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran.

24: LEGACY DVD:

DVD Release Date: November 14, 2017
Screen Format: Widescreen 16:9 (1.78:1)
Audio: English / Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English / Spanish / French
Total Run Time: Approx. 525 minutes
U.S. Rating: TV-14
Closed Caption: Yes

Special Features:

24: The Legacy Lives On Featurette
Deleted Scenes

ABOUT TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film. TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions as well as all third party distribution partners on DVD, Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD, Digital, and VOD (video-on-demand). Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets and digital stores throughout the world.

I'll most likely skip this, unless it ever hits the $5 clearance bin. Thankfully I'm not a "24" completist.
Old 09-27-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Jesus, why did FOX put Season 1 on it? The season ended 5 months ago and it was cancelled in June. So much time to make it The complete series.

Not surprised about them passing on a BD release. It was the lowest rated and worst reviewed season.

For those who didn’t watch, skip it. Not worth a blind buy or to fill your OCD 24 completist set.
Old 09-28-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I would never waste my time watching this ever again. They need to jump on the fucking ball and release the real series on Blu Ray.
Old 09-28-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually looking at getting the Blu Rays through Amazon Japan now, but Chrome won't translate it. Any ideas?

EDIT: Well forget that, $235 for 6 seasons.
Old 12-27-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.amazon.co.jp/TWENTY-%E3%...ds=24+complete

24: the complete series all on BD, including all 9 seasons plus the Redemption movie and even the shitty Legacy now available only in Japan.

Only $411.79 if you absolutely have to have this now.
Old 12-27-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And if you're really into "24: Legacy", you can own some of the screen used props! - starting January 5th

FOX VIP Fan Auctions

I currently have three 24 props (two from the original series and one from Live Another Day), but I'm definitely passing on this auction. But I highly recommend the seller if you're ever interested in owning some TV props (they have other shows and movies as well).
Old 12-27-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$40 a season isn't much of a discount for buying the whole shebang. Maybe for $411 for 4k, not BD at this point.

Honestly, I just want season 1 and I would totally pay $50 for it.
Old 12-28-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

I don't think Disney/Fox would issue it in the United States but I could see the European division issuing that Japanese set. Since the heavy work on the Blu-ray set is now done, there is some hope it comes out in a more affordable Euro release.