Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

FOO FIGHTERS: Sonic Highways - Fall 2014

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-15-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

Foo Fighters Reveal New Album Details, HBO Series

A new Foo Fighters album is due out this fall and with the as-yet-untitled effort, HBO will air a new series chronicling the "eight-city odyssey during which the record was created."

The band officially announced their plans on Thursday, May 15, revealing that Foos frontman Dave Grohl directed the series which will visit studios in eight cities: Chicago, Austin, Nashville, Los Angeles, Seattle, New Orleans, Washington, DC and New York.

The band recorded one song at each stop with local legends sitting in (for example, members of Cheap Trick are said to be featured during the Chicago portion, according to a source) while the lyrics were written "in an unprecedented experimental style," reads a statement detailing the project. "Dave held off on putting down words until the last day of each session, so as to be inspired by the experiences, interviews and personalities that became part of the process."

The series, which Worldwide Pants is executive producing, comes on the heels of Grohl's directorial debut, the 2013 Grammy-winning doc "Sound City," which told the story of the Van Nuys, Calif. studio where Nirvana recorded the seminal album "Nevermind" and featured interviews with such iconic artists as Paul McCartney, Stevie Nicks, Neil Young and Trent Reznor, among others. Similarly, the HBO series will, in Grohl's words, present "a love letter to the history of American music" with each episode exploring the cultural impact of these artists' hometowns.

The HBO series is produced in conjunction with James A. Rota, John Ramsay and Therapy studios, and written by Mark Monroe and Grohl for Roswell Films, a division of the Roswell Records label that releases Foo Fighters' music.

An official release date for the Foos' forthcoming eighth album has yet to be announced.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...bo-documentary
Old 05-15-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
re: FOO FIGHTERS: Sonic Highways - Fall 2014

I'm excited, they're one of my favorite bands at the moment. Interested in the new HBO series as well. The concept of the album being recorded in different cities and Grohl waiting to write the lyrics until he was in each place for a few days is pretty cool too. Hopefully a tour announcement isn't too far off.
Old 05-25-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Papunaaaa
Great album!
They never should have released "Nosebleed" as the third single. Should have been "The Sun Never Sets".
Old 06-01-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teaser for the show released today - titled "Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways". I like it - good chance the album title is the same.
Old 06-01-14, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Didn't get to see them on tour last time around; hope to catch them this time.

I'm kicking myself for missing them in KC...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6e5hRLbCaCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...granted, I likely would have missed because I would have been in KCP&L getting shitfaced.
Old 06-01-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only seen them in concert once for the Wasting Light Tour but would gladly see them again. The show I was at they played close to three hours, which I believe was longer than they were supposed to be on but I think they knew some people were upset as Motorhead was supposed to be playing but had to cancel. The show was excellent though and the band was full of energy. One of my favorite concerts I've attended.
Old 06-02-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

full article
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...sonic-highways

Foo Fighters' eighth studio album will be released in November through Roswell/RCA, according to a press release. The as-yet-untitled effort will follow 2011's "Wasting Light," which was nominated for album of the year at the Grammy Awards.
Old 06-02-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wasting Light is one of the better rock albums of the past 5 years. I'm really looking forward to their next one.
Old 06-04-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I've been to the last two Foo shows in Detroit. The Wasting Light show exceeded three hours... I can't think of a single track they didn't play which wasn't a deep track.
Old 06-04-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I am thinking this will either be brilliant or Lulu ... not seeing a lot of in between here

The series follows the Foos as they traveled to famous recording studios across the U.S. as they record their new album. Each city also comes with its own musical history, which Grohl said inspires the feel of the track recorded there. "So once the music and the theme of each city was set, we traveled to each place and spent a week there," Grohl tells THR. "We’d get there, start recording and I would just run around town filming and interviewing as many people as I can. I did over 100 interviews. At the end of the week, I’d take all of my transcripts, put them on the floor, sit there with a pen and my journal and I reduce all of these stories into a song. I take from peoples' backgrounds, anecdotes, the environment — it's like reporting. It's musical bungee jumping."

In addition to previously announced collaborators like Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen, Gary Clark Jr. and Joe Walsh, Grohl also reveals that he shared studio time with Carrie Underwood, Chuck D and Butthole Surfers' Gibby Haynes. "You'll recognize Foo Fighters in this record but you'll also be surprised by us. We're doing things that we've never done before," Grohl said. "And I want to say that it's only eight songs but I think it might be our longest record because, as I was writing these songs, I had to take a cinematic approach. Like I couldn't just write a three-and-a-half-minute long KROQ jingle and film it for the finale of an episode about the history of music in New Orleans, ya know?" In a press release, the Foo Fighters also announced the eight cities they visited while recording their new album: Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Nashville, New York, Seattle, and Washington D.C., where Grohl started his musical journey as the drummer in a hardcore band called Scream.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz33fKHZB55
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 07-30-14, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-30-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Need tour dates.
Old 07-30-14, 06:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan
I am thinking this will either be brilliant or Lulu ... not seeing a lot of in between here
It's nice to see a band of this calibre experimenting this far into their career. I'm sure it keeps things fresh for them as well. That being said, on that list of guest musicians the only one that doesn't make me wince a little is Chuck D, and even then it's not like Public Enemy has recorded anything worth listening to in the last 15 years.
Old 08-12-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Album is called "Sonic Highways" and will be released November 10th.

Track List as follows:

1. "Something From Nothing"
2. "The Feast and the Famine"
3. "Congregation"
4. "What Did I Do?/God as My Witness"
5. "Outside"
6. "In the Clear"
7. "Subterranean"
8. "I Am a River"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-list-20140811
Old 08-12-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, I'm sure there will be a Deluxe Edition with a few more songs, but really? Only eight songs?
Old 08-13-14, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Damed
Album is called "Sonic Highways" and will be released November 10th.

Track List as follows:

1. "Something From Nothing"
2. "The Feast and the Famine"
3. "Congregation"
4. "What Did I Do?/God as My Witness"
5. "Outside"
6. "In the Clear"
7. "Subterranean"
8. "I Am a River"
Sounds like it could be tracklist from a Rush album.
Old 08-14-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm disappointed it is only 8 songs (even though they said it clocks in at 44 minutes) - screams of a re-release where they'll bump it up to 11 later....I hate shit like that.
Old 08-14-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So there's nine different album covers to choose from for this album. One for each city that inspired a track off the album and one main cover. Also they're selling an ultimate edition of the album here: http://sonichighways.foofighters.com...ts/mega-bundle

Personally I love the band but I'm not sure if I'll bite on the ultimate set. I probably will end up getting a copy of the album on both vinyl and CD and wouldn't mind the shirt but not sure if I can justify the extra price for the wooden box, wall flag, and puzzle.
Old 08-14-14, 12:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

8 songs for their 8th album. Coincidence?!
Old 08-14-14, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 538 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-14-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Short albums are coming back into style all over the place. I think the new Smashing Pumpkins album is only 9.
Old 08-14-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As it should be. Most albums don't have 3 good songs much less 14 or 16.
Old 08-14-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Ultimately the artist will decide if the album is complete. In many cases ~45 minutes is a fine length for an album. In some cases 65 minutes worked. Really depends on the material.
Old 08-14-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts

Dave said, it might be their longest album. So 8 songs > 57:55 (Wasting Lights running time)
Old 08-14-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah there's not a perfect length for an album. I'm fine with only eight tracks for Sonic Highways if that's what the band feels is right for this album. Quality over quantity.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.