Reload this Page >

Divinity: Original Sin

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-13-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any PC gamers playing this? Best RPG I've played in many many years. Very old school CRPG with tons of character customization, an excellent turn based combat system, and absolutely crazy amount of freedom to do things in the game's totally open world. Thousands of items can be combined and crafted in interesting ways, objects in the world can be manipulated (blood conducts electricity, set oil on fire, etc.), and any NPC's can be killed. The game is structured around two main characters so there are lots of interesting dialogue options, especially in coop, where both players direct the conversation and may disagree on things. I'm only about 8 hours in but just overall an excellent game that isn't getting the press it deserves. There is so much strategy in the combat and a ridiculous number of player abilities and skills that impact how you fight. Of course you can add NPC players to your party that you can also control.
Old 07-13-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Divinity: Original Sin

I just came here to ask about this, saw a really good review from a place called angry centaur gaming, he mentioned GOTY at the end of the review. I'll have to check it out.

Forgot to mention this was a kickstarter game, much less pub than the ones from Fargo & Obsidian, might be the best though.
Old 07-13-14, 06:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was a Kickstarter backer of this, but haven't had a chance to play yet. Glad to here it's good!
Old 07-13-14, 07:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I was a Kickstarter backer of this, but haven't had a chance to play yet. Glad to here it's good!
It's good over there too!

I almost Kickstarted it, but figured that by the time I play the first two (super cheap in bundles), this one will be in bundles or super cheap.
Old 07-13-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This game is incredible. It's been eating up all my gaming time for the last couple of weeks. Truly a old school CRPG, but with a incredibly deep combat system. It's also very cool to be able to move objects around in the world. I hope that Pillars of Eternity and Torment are anywhere near as good as this.
Old 07-14-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I backed this and I'm pretty excited to start playing, but I haven't had a lot of time yet. I have started a pair of characters, but I haven't progressed too far.
Old 07-14-14, 03:04 PM

It's hard as hell. This isn't a game where you can just check your quest log which blatantly instructs you about your next task. I almost completely fumbled the first main story quest by

Spoiler:
Having Esmerelda arrested for the murder. Really it was Evylin but I wouldn't know that unless I accused Esmerelda in person with the clues I found before speaking to the head of the legion.

Before reloading the game to correct my mistake, it looked like the game was just going to let me go right on playing after having the wrong person arrested. This is what I like about the game. It doesn't have stupidly obvious "good" and "bad" moral choices in a convenient, single dialogue window. I wasn't sure who was guilty and I couldn't find anymore evidence, so I just did what I thought was right, but it was very wrong!

That said, how the HELL do I get to Evylin's lair on the beach? I see it marked on my map but I can't find the tunnel to get there. I'm level 4 but constantly hitting huge groups of level 5 plus enemies trying to find a way out. Me and my buddy searched for a good couple hours last night.
Old 07-15-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just started playing really like how your choices impact you even early in the game. I accidentally killed the legionaries guys at the start because I thought they were forcing me to meet the wizard. I hope it doesn't come back and bite me.

Also how do you move items out of the way (like crates etc)

Really loving the game though, love the Turn based combat using action points like fallout
Old 07-15-14, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Just started playing really like how your choices impact you even early in the game. I accidentally killed the legionaries guys at the start because I thought they were forcing me to meet the wizard. I hope it doesn't come back and bite me.

Also how do you move items out of the way (like crates etc)

Really loving the game though, love the Turn based combat using action points like fallout
Haha, we did the same thing to those guys. I loved the dialogue options and couldn't resist murdering them.

To move items you just need to be close to it. Select and drag nearby with LMB.
Old 07-15-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't even begin to know what LMB is lol.

I look at killing those guys as nice exp and some loot.

I wish there was a way to quick 'loot all' on ground like being able to 'take all' from boxes.
Old 07-15-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Left Mouse Button.
Old 07-15-14, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Major reviewers starting to chip in

IGN: 9/10

Outstanding tactical combat and engaging quests make Divinity: Original Sin one of the most rewarding RPGs in years.
Old 07-15-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/div.../1100-6421145/

Critics are loving this. Slam dunk for top 10 lists and RPG of the year.
Old 07-16-14, 08:56 AM

Wow, I finally located the cave but I can not defeat the horde guarding it. Even tried luring them away and then fleeing but they run back to their original spot. There like two wizards, four boars, two skeleton archers, and two or three skeleton knights, all level 5. I let Johan take care of the wizards with freezing and teleportation so they can't fuck me with their spells, but those boars are like tanks!
Old 07-16-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the elemental effects and how each skills etc has really good uses (Like Water puts out fire, Fire puts out Poison) really good details.

So question, I rolled a Knight & Wizard, come to find out the 2 Main NPCs that can join are a Knight & Wizard. Should I re-roll?
Old 07-16-14, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I love the elemental effects and how each skills etc has really good uses (Like Water puts out fire, Fire puts out Poison) really good details.

So question, I rolled a Knight & Wizard, come to find out the 2 Main NPCs that can join are a Knight & Wizard. Should I re-roll?
I would have at least one Ranger. They take a bit to get going but you can make a lot of special arrows easily to take advantage of the elemental stuff and deal huge damage. Poison cloud arrows especially. I just read you can actually steal those barrels and throw them in your inventory for a basically unlimited source to use on crafting special arrows.
Old 07-16-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One tip, with Teleportation you can actually drop enemies on top of other enemies. It's a bit of a pain, because you can't target directly on top of an enemy, but if you target close enough they'll both take damage.

My lineup is: Man At Arms, Ranger, Aero/Hydro, Earth/Fire. I think that's pretty much a perfect party. Maybe the tank could be swapped out with another heavy damage dealer or a debuffer/buffer though, since there really isn't any real "agro" rules in the game.
Old 07-17-14, 08:33 AM

Yeah, teleportation is amazing. I think it's a skill you should try and work into every character in your party. It's devastating and offers lots of helpful strategies. Especially with archers/mages.

I finally beat the enemies guarding the cave. It was a tough fight and two people died, with the last two close to death, but we did it. I finally explored the crafting a bit and made a ton of steamcloud, fire and poison cloud arrows. Disappointingly the enemies were immune to poison, but the fire + poison combo was... explosive. I would use the steamcloud arrows on groups of enemies and then use Johan's (?) lightening spell to electrify the cloud and stun groups of enemies. So badass!

Now we're in Evelyn's lair, but the cultists defeated us with their annoying frozen/petrify spells.
Old 07-23-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Just got my Kickstarter Collector's Edition box. Some pretty cool stuff, including an old school cloth map.

I think they were talking about potentially selling the box at retail, though I don't know if anything's set in stone.
Old 01-03-15, 06:24 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Downloaded this. I just hope it isn't too complicated for me. I love RPGs but I have never been much of a turn based player. I have also never played baldur's gate which this one looks like
Old 05-15-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Coming to XBox and PS4.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/15/860...box-one-pc-mac
Old 05-18-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sweet. I'm not a PC gamer so this is welcome news for me.
Old 05-20-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Two us who play Diablo were talking last night after a run in Destiny about upcoming games and trying to do 1-2 more "Cow Levels" in Diablo when she mentioned some game she saw this was on the PC and coming to consoles, Frankly I never heard of this and decided to see what this is.

We're big on Diablo...like the layout, the look, the pace, 4-player co-op, different characters and their abilities and the combat which can be hectic at times. I checked a few videos and from what I've seen this leans way more to RPG with tactical combat than the fast hectic combat Diablo can has. I watch 10 minutes of one video and all I saw was 2 on 2 with lots of dialogue, making choices, picking items to use, etc...And when there was combat it was one doing one thing against one enemy waiting for the result or trying something else.

I'll check more of this to see but the reviews for this were stellar everywhere getting high scores. While it might have that "Diablo Look"...not sure it comes close to the pace & combat.
Old 05-20-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Two us who play Diablo were talking last night after a run in Destiny about upcoming games and trying to do 1-2 more "Cow Levels" in Diablo when she mentioned some game she saw this was on the PC and coming to consoles, Frankly I never heard of this and decided to see what this is.

We're big on Diablo...like the layout, the look, the pace, 4-player co-op, different characters and their abilities and the combat which can be hectic at times. I checked a few videos and from what I've seen this leans way more to RPG with tactical combat than the fast hectic combat Diablo can has. I watch 10 minutes of one video and all I saw was 2 on 2 with lots of dialogue, making choices, picking items to use, etc...And when there was combat it was one doing one thing against one enemy waiting for the result or trying something else.

I'll check more of this to see but the reviews for this were stellar everywhere getting high scores. While it might have that "Diablo Look"...not sure it comes close to the pace & combat.
This is more a Baldur's Gate style game, not a Diablo style game. It was common in the 90s for RPGs and Action-RPGs to use the isometric view, and they all played similarly, but Diablo was more combat oriented whereas the more RPG oriented ones were more about exploring. Divinity goes the turn based route, but is still fun, it just isn't the almost twitch based click fest that Diablo is. It is a much slower rate of play, which usually fits the atmosphere of the games (I haven't played Divinity enough to comment overall.)

In other words, it's like comparing the combat in World of Warcraft to Bloodborne.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-20-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-16-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

I see this coming out the 27th this month and looks good on the PS4...or at least the footage. I'd like to learn more on this but with COD coming out November 9th, finishing Shadow of Mordor and still toying with Diablo just don't know. This seems to be a bit more involve and take more time but still interesting.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xjAbFeiEdQs?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.