Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-17-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jwTU_-UpU9g?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoilered pics for size:
Spoiler:

Last edited by dex14; 06-17-14 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spoilered pics for size
Old 06-17-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

Definitely want to get this but it seems the BD does not have English subtitles.

Some additional footage in the music video:

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/83302281?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="207" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yoann Freget B.O. "La Belle & La Bête" - Sauras tu m'aimer from COME ON productions on Vimeo.

Old 06-17-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: La Belle et la Bête (2014) D: Christophe Gans, S: Vincent Cassel, Léa Seydoux

That's the FR BD?

I figured they would have an English friendly version like they did with Gan's Silent Hill (director approved) version. Speaking of Gans, Crying Freeman was just released over there and it IS English friendly and according to BD.com it is excellent.

I will blind buy this version at some point.
Old 06-17-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's the FR BD?

I figured they would have an English friendly version like they did with Gan's Silent Hill (director approved) version. Speaking of Gans, Crying Freeman was just released over there and it IS English friendly and according to BD.com it is excellent.

I will blind buy this version at some point.
Yes, that's the French BD.

Yes but Metropolitan released Silent Hill and Crying Freeman on BD. They seem to be English-friendly. Pathe released the French BD and it seems they only included French subtitles.

I want the Metropolitan release of Crying Freeman but it is currently a steep EUR 28,94.
Old 06-17-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Yes but Metropolitan released Silent Hill and Crying Freeman on BD. They seem to be English-friendly. Pathe released the French BD and it seems they only included French subtitles.

I want the Metropolitan release of Crying Freeman but it is currently a steep EUR 28,94.
Ah, it's Pathe. They're usually not ENglish friendly.

A group buy would knock them charges down a bit.
Old 06-17-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Wow, I had heard nothing about this, strange since it's Gans.
Old 06-17-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, it's Pathe. They're usually not ENglish friendly.
Which is quite a shame since this looks stunning.

I wish Metropolitan would also do a re-issue of Le Pacte Des Loups. I don't know who released the current BD (and it does have English subtitles) so I've no idea if it's region free like Metropolitan's releases tend to be.

A group buy would knock them charges down a bit.
That seems like a plan. We set this up via PayPal? Although I think the "group" would simply consist of us two.
Old 06-17-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is quite a shame since this looks stunning.

I wish Metropolitan would also do a re-issue of Le Pacte Des Loups. I don't know who released the current BD (and it does have English subtitles) so I've no idea if it's region free like Metropolitan's releases tend to be.

That seems like a plan. We set this up via PayPal? Although I think the "group" would simply consist of us two.
Over at HDD there would be a designated person who would buy the entire order up front from wherever (UK, FR, GR, etc.) and once that person received the entire order would charge each person the price of the item and local shipping charges to them via paypal and such.

If it were just us then we might as well eat the cost of international shipping. Or find another merchant outside of Amazon that is cheaper.

It's 45.95 shipped from France to US.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for deals and GB's, etc.
Old 06-17-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish there was a version of BOTW with the commentaries subbed.
Old 06-17-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I wish there was a version of BOTW with the commentaries subbed.

There's the 3 disc Canadian set that has everything. It's the best version of that film on DVD. I don't remember about the commentaries being subbed by I'd wager that they are. I used to own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Brotherhood-Wo...od+of+the+wolf

I have the FR HD-DVD of BOTW and that one is the best version of the film out there even though it's a movie-only version.

EDIT - thanks for reminding me. I may just pick me up a copy of that one for under $10 shipped. I'd just have it for the supplements. It's packed full of them and it also has some great deleted scenes, too.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 06-17-14 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-17-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On the subject of the movie this thread is about, I really like the design of the Beast. He reminds me of Pan from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

For size:

Spoiler:
Old 06-17-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's awesome.
Old 06-17-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Is Mark Dacascos in this? Does it have kung fu? If not, I'm not interested and I'll stick with the Cocteau.
Old 06-17-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'll stick with the Cocteau.
Old 06-22-14, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems there is also a 2-disc set but all I see it ads is a DVD copy of the film: http://www.amazon.fr/Belle-B%C3%AAte...lle+et+la+bete

For fans of the Cocteau version, there is a new 4K remaster on BD.
Old 06-22-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems there is also a 2-disc set but all I see it ads is a DVD copy of the film: http://www.amazon.fr/Belle-B%C3%AAte...lle+et+la+bete

For fans of the Cocteau version, there is a new 4K remaster on BD.

I have the Criterion BD of the Cocteau version.
Old 06-22-14, 10:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

There's the 3 disc Canadian set that has everything. It's the best version of that film on DVD. I don't remember about the commentaries being subbed by I'd wager that they are. I used to own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Brotherhood-Wo...od+of+the+wolf

I have the FR HD-DVD of BOTW and that one is the best version of the film out there even though it's a movie-only version.

EDIT - thanks for reminding me. I may just pick me up a copy of that one for under $10 shipped. I'd just have it for the supplements. It's packed full of them and it also has some great deleted scenes, too.
I love the 3 disc set. The documentaries are indeed subtitled in English. Unfortunately, the one thing I really wanted was the audio commentary with Vincent Cassel and Samuel Le Bihan to be subtitled in English. Sadly that was the one thing not included.

I have the French blu ray of this movie which is great but it is a Region B. And like the HD-DVD, it is movie only.

As for Beauty and the Beast, I'm pondering just picking up the French set.
Old 08-05-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a heads up for those interested in the Metropolitan BD release of Crying Freeman, it is region B locked. I was able to watch it since I have TotalMedia Theater 6 and it allows me a total of five region changes (I now use my PS3 as my default BD player so I didn't mind using up one of the changes). It looks and sounds great (though some shots tend to be a tad hazy and the gunfire/explosions sound dated).
Old 08-05-14, 01:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

What about the subtitles on Crying Freeman? Do they translate the Japanese dialogue to English? I've been wanting to pick this up on Blu (or BR!), but haven't been able to confirm how they address the Japanese dialogue.
Old 08-05-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd love to get that Metropolitan release of Crying Freeman. I'll have to see if this version of Beauty and the Beast is available via Amazon UK. The UK version would no doubt have non-forced-English subtitles.
Old 08-05-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by trespoochies
What about the subtitles on Crying Freeman? Do they translate the Japanese dialogue to English? I've been wanting to pick this up on Blu (or BR!), but haven't been able to confirm how they address the Japanese dialogue.
There are no English subtitles so the Japanese and Chinese dialogue remain without subtitles. However, I was able to follow what was being said without issue since characters often break into English (even repeating what was said in the non-English scenes).
Old 08-05-14, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soooooooo anyone see this yet and how faithful is it to the original tale?
Old 08-05-14, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doesn't the original sorry have some really weird sexual stuff in it?
Old 02-14-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I finally saw this today and it is beautiful. The narrative isn't perfect (the courtship between Belle and the Beast is so rushed that it must have happened off screen) but the movie is a feast for the eyes and actually quite fun. Don't expect a faithful adaptation of the original story, however. It has the same general beats to set things up but it goes on its own tangents. If anything, I wish it would have gone even more outlandish. It feels at times like it's playing safe when it really yearns to go full Guillermo Del Toro with the more out there embellishments to the narrative.

It was nice to see Eduardo Noriega in this as well.

Overall, I think the upcoming Disney live action adaptation has to really step it up to at least match this one.
Old 02-14-15, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which BD did you end up getting?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.