Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hill Street Blues- Season 3 (and Beyond)???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-24-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the DVD release this great series going to die on the vine with only 2 seasons available? Same goes for Taxi.
Old 10-24-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure about Hill Street Blues but I heard that Paramount currently has no plans to put the last two seasons of Taxi out on DVD. Which is a crime, really. Even if they made limited edition runs of the last two seasons that would be better than nothing at all.

And I found this on IMDB.com's message boards about Hill Street Blues:
Re: Season 3 DVDs in USA?
by elliatt 3 days ago (Sat Oct 21 2006 09:11:06 )
Ignore this User | Report Abuse Reply
Season 3 is NOT being released. I received a reply from an email and the reason is poor sales for seasons 1 & 2.

Guess i willhave to buy a DVD recorder and transfer all my tapes.

Last edited by calhoun07; 10-24-06 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-25-06, 09:40 AM
mxv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man I hope that doesn't turn out to be true. Hill Street Blues is my favorite TV show ever and originally Season 3 was supposed to be out in November
Old 10-25-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts
That's very disappointing. I really enjoyed watching this on DVD after not seeing it since it was originally on. It's a show I can easily go back to again (and enjoy again!).

And don't get me started on Barney Miller!!
Old 10-25-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This stinks

I've really enjoyed going through seasons 1 & 2. Even got my wife hooked on the show as she didn't watch it back in the day. Oh well, maybe Fox will give it up and let someone else with lower expectations release it.
Old 10-13-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Hill Street Blues- Season 3 (and Beyond)???

Just wanted to bump this after 3 years and hopefully get an update from someone "in the know". As it has come to pass, "Taxi" did get it's ultimate release completion set for the end of 2009. Season 4 was recently released a month or two back, with the final season due in December.

Now, what about Hill Street Blues??? S1 and S2 have been released. However, theres' a lot still collecting dust in the vault. This was a high quality multi-emmy award winning TV show. Can't believe with all the obscure fly-by-night shows already getting released that this show can't seem to get any love.
Old 10-13-09, 09:24 PM
Cool New Member

Season 3 of HSB is available for download in iTunes, which makes me think Fox prepped it for DVD release, but pulled the physical release after sales for seasons 1 and 2 were less than they wanted.

I think for shows like this (small but enthusiastic audience), if they're not going to license it to another distributor, they should pass on season sets and just release a complete series box set and be done with it.

Same goes for St. Elsewhere.
Old 10-14-09, 10:15 AM

Same goes for NYPD Blue after season 4. I'd buy a box set if that's what it takes to get the rest of the episodes.
Old 10-14-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"Ally McBeal: The Complete Series" is moving A LOT more units than FOX expected (most stores have been out of stock since last week waiting for reorders) while a lot of the "First Season" sets havn't moved that well.

This could be a good indication of "Complete Series" one-off's in the future. Hopefully starting with "Hill Street Blues" and "Boston Public"
Old 10-14-09, 01:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

HSB like many others that seemed to not live up to sales expectations ended up in those two season packs at a discounted price (I paid $15 for both HSB seasons from Target). These bundles seem to have done pretty well. So some possibilities are:

1. They were just dumping existing stock as best they good with no real intent to ever revisit the series in the future.

2. They were getting the existing stock out in anyway possible to build up a customer base that after seeing seasons 1 and 2 will want more. Once demand has been built up, push out season 3, which has most likely already been transferred. Depending on season 3 sales, prep for future seasons.

I'm hoping for option 2 since I would like to see more seasons.

I highly doubt they will do a complete series set without testing the waters again with season sets. Too much upfront cost with no guarantee of a satisfactory return. Ally Mcbeal is a different case in that it is a more recent show (still in peoples minds), and was released in other regions so they have some idea of how well it will sell in region 1. Also, if it is revisited, it will be because of all the people that bought the season 1 and 2 set. Those people won't want to buy seasons 1 and 2 all over again.
Old 08-20-11, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bumping again to see if there's any news or reason for us Hill Street Blues enthusiasts to be optimistic that we'll get to enjoy viewing season 3 and beyond episodes of this show on DVD anytime soon?
Old 08-21-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing as of yet Jack...if anything, it will show up on the WB Archives/MOD discs.
Old 12-25-11, 08:53 AM

I was hooked on HSB and watched the entire series back in the '80's. I purchased seasons 1 and two and eagerly awaited seasons 3-7. I found that 52 disc set and bought it. Some episodes are perfect and others are unwatchable. They are also not in order. They came boxed fron China or somewhere. The only TV show I ever purchased was this one. If WB or whoever won't release it why won't they sell the series to someone who will? They can make money that way. I met Bruce Weitz once when he did appearances to promote the show back in the early '80's. He autographed a photo as Belker, growled at us, and then bit off a piece of the picture. A moment I'll never forget! The show was on TV Land about 9 yrs ago in the afternoon. There is more crap being released on dvd these days...I WANT MY HSB!!
Old 12-25-11, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here! Here! It boggles my mind why this Emmy winning series has not seen the light of day when so many other lower quality and frankly less deserving shows have.
Old 01-03-12, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Quality doesn't matter--sales do. And if a show has already been released and not sold well, MOD is the likely best hope as already mentioned. That said, Fox did release the complete Ally McBeal and sold the rights for The Girls Next Door to MPI so nothing's impossible.
Old 03-09-12, 11:13 PM

Season 3 is on hulu.
Old 12-19-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Thanks to Shout Out Factory you can get the complete series

Long unavailable, Steven Bochco and Michael Kozoll' Hill Street Blues
is coming to DVD from Shout Factory. This handsomely packaged 34-DVD collector’s box set contains all 144 acclaimed episodes, the original pilot, a commemorative 24-page book with a special essay written by the Pulitzer Prize-winning TV critic Tom Shales, and retrospective bonus content, featuring new interviews with Steven Bochco, the cast and more.
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...te-series.html

Old 12-22-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had posted the same info with an Amazon link within a thread on the TV forum. It's currently listed at $179.99 there. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSTHCHQ/...=I1UT06W7O862K At that price, I'm going to wait and see if they end up releasing S3-S7 individually.

Btw, for some reason they left off or omitted J.D. LaRue (Kiel Martin) from the side of the box.
Old 12-25-13, 06:47 PM
Banned

Can't Freakin Wait!!! Its about Damn Time!!! Where the Hell is Batman now!!!

Just checked out the Australian Complete Series of this set! Its $130.00 shipped and is a 42 disc set...not sure of extra's though- will probably wait for region 1 release though!

Last edited by smurr05; 12-25-13 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-25-13, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
I had posted the same info with an Amazon link within a thread on the TV forum. It's currently listed at $179.99 there. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GSTHCHQ/...=I1UT06W7O862K At that price, I'm going to wait and see if they end up releasing S3-S7 individually.

Btw, for some reason they left off or omitted J.D. LaRue (Kiel Martin) from the side of the box.
It's $139.99 on the Shout website.
Old 12-26-13, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's $139.99 on the Shout website.
Also ships 6 weeks early if pre- ordered through Shout and comes with free standard shipping!
Old 12-26-13, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!!
Old 03-27-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got the box set from Shout! Another dream fulfilled! I started waching S4. Picture looked real good given the age of the material. Will really enjoy watching this again after so many years!

I think it's listed for $120 at Amazon last time I looked but they aren't shipping yet.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-27-14 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-28-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received my set on Wednesday. Enjoying the set. Starting at the beginning. So glad to have the complete series in my hands.

Doug