Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "I'm finally embarrassed to be a KISS fan" thread.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-26-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

What was that crap they did at the Olympics?????

Just when you think KISS couldn't hit NEW LOWS, this garbage lipsync fest was vomited onto fans all over the World!
Silly skaters skating around them UGH!!!

It was like DISNEY ON ICE!!!

What happened to the DANGEROUS, SEXY, and BLOOD LETTING KISS of long ago?!?!?!?!?! Don't get me wrong...I WILL ALWAYS LOVE KISS... but come on guys and gals!!!!

THE KISS CHEESE IS SMELLIN' UP THE JOINT!!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-26-02 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-26-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
That was terribly lame, wasn't it? They looked like a KISS tribute band or something.

I was more embarassed when they started selling coffins with their faces plastered all over them.
Old 02-26-02, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe it or not..all the groups had to lip synch..
They werent given a choice in the matter.
I think they were singing so you could see their breath..but it wasnt going out over the PA's..
I have an article regarding this..I will post it later..
Old 02-26-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod
Believe it or not..all the groups had to lip synch..
They werent given a choice in the matter.
I think they were singing so you could see their breath..but it wasnt going out over the PA's..
I have an article regarding this..I will post it later..

Yeah I know about the lipsynching thing...

I realize Synching is something that has to be done at times so it didn't bother me that much. It was the same ole crap from Kiss that bothered me.

Plus the skaters....
Old 02-27-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
It WAS the biggest audience that they will ever play to, so it's not all bad - and many people in Utah bitched and moaned about KISS playing the Olympics - they thought KISS was evil and inappropriate for such an event!

So KISS can still ruffle a few feathers....
Old 02-27-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B5Erik
It WAS the biggest audience that they will ever play to, so it's not all bad - and many people in Utah bitched and moaned about KISS playing the Olympics - they thought KISS was evil and inappropriate for such an event!

But is it really much of a challenge to "ruffle a few feathers" in Utah?
Old 02-27-02, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't they retire yet? Its pretty sad when you have been to 3 farewell kiss tours.
Old 02-27-02, 05:49 AM

didn't they retire yet? Its pretty sad when you have been to 3 farewell kiss tours.
They were all pretty fun from where I sat.
Old 02-27-02, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,031 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Yes it was embarassing. I like to console myself by thinking about the strong likelyhood of Gene Simmons trying to nail Katerina Witt backstage. If that happened, it was all worthwhile.

Anyone know anything about a Kiss Live in Las Vegas DVD that may have come out yesterday?
Old 02-27-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Giantrobo, you are FINALLY embarrassed to be a Kiss fan?
You mean, you weren't starting to be embarrassed back
around 1980?
Old 02-27-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
around 1980?
Old 02-27-02, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Yes it was embarassing. I like to console myself by thinking about the strong likelyhood of Gene Simmons trying to nail Katerina Witt backstage. If that happened, it was all worthwhile.

Anyone know anything about a Kiss Live in Las Vegas DVD that may have come out yesterday?
It may not come out now because KISS doesnt want it to...
Old 02-27-02, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by B5Erik

Bigger than the Super Bowl?
Old 02-27-02, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Everyone should know that Farewell tours mean nothing..

Ozzy retired how many years ago and how many times??
and didnt The Who retire back in the early 80's?
Old 02-27-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by atlantamoi
around 1980?

Spoiler:
I love you to...
Old 02-28-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't know anything about lip synching....Does anyone have an article they could post?

BTW, I live in Utah, and I'm not from here and most importantly (hehe) not mormon. I wouldn't be surprised if some people here really WERE disturbed by kiss thinking they are the epitomy of evil in our society....
Old 02-28-02, 01:24 PM

www.calendarlive.com/top/...91,00.html

Saturday, February 23, 2002

The Music Isn't Live, Either
Cold weather and a global audience require performers to try to match recordings during the opening and closing ceremonies.

By CHRISTOPHER REYNOLDS, Times Staff Writer

Take heart, Olympic detail fiends: If the last two weeks have gotten you in the habit of squinting at your television in search of flubbed lutzes and leaning judges, you'll still have plenty of subtleties and misdirection to look for in Sunday night's closing ceremonies.
Like the performances that opened the Games on Feb. 8, the send-off performances won't be as live as they look.
Instead, facing a global audience and treacherous weather, the producers and headliners will be relying on recordings to bolster performances on a bill that includes 'N Sync, Harry Connick Jr., Gloria Estefan, Christina Aguilera, Bon Jovi, Dianne Reeves, Earth Wind & Fire and dancer Savion Glover, along with a few surprises.
"There are some people who are electing to do things live, but I haven't heard yet if we're going to let them," said a spokeswoman for Don Mischer, the executive producer of the ceremonies. "The weather will obviously play a role."
The opening ceremonies, watched by an estimated 45.6 million viewers in the U.S. and 3.5 billion worldwide, featured bow-syncing by the Utah Symphony Orchestra and Yo-Yo Ma, and lip-syncing by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Sting and others. Producers and participants said performers were singing and playing over recordings of themselves made weeks or months before.
The not-quite-live nature of these performances has been something of an open secret. Officials at the Utah Symphony, in fact, discussed the arrangements in public interviews before the Games. Mischer told reporters that "we feel it's important to have the orchestra and choir on stage, but it's most important that the sound be good around the world. Music is more or less the soul of the ceremonies."
For West Coast viewers, the rest of the Games haven't been entirely spontaneous either. Despite the word "LIVE" appearing frequently in the upper-left-hand corner of NBC's screen, most Olympic events have been tape-delayed to reach viewers during prime-time hours here. The network acknowledges that with a second superimposed footnote: "Recorded live from a previous broadcast."
Still, it's likely that millions of viewers have been imagining more spontaneity than they've actually seen. The Games' broadcaster, NBC, has contributed to that. On Jan. 15, for instance, the "Today" show featured an interview with Olympics theme music composer John Williams, and co-host Matt Lauer signed off by saying first that Williams' Olympics-commissioned composition, "Call of the Champions," was on a CD available in stores, and then that the
piece "will be performed live on Feb. 8th during the opening ceremonies."
What Lauer didn't say is that without the recording, the Feb. 8 show would have been impossible.
"It's not something that we'd do in any circumstances other than this," said David Green, orchestra manager for the Utah Symphony, noting that temperatures on the field were around 20 degrees on the night of the opening ceremonies.
"None of the musicians would even entertain the idea of putting their instruments out of doors in that weather," said Green.
In those temperatures, fingers soon lose their nimbleness, wood warps or cracks and strings quickly slip out of tune. Fifty-six of the orchestra's 83 musicians play stringed instruments.
So Mischer's production company came up with a way to make it work: Mischer would provide a disposable set of instruments, which after the show would be given to Utah schools, and it would outfit the orchestra members for the cold—from sweaters to scarves to hats to gloves to silk underwear, Green said.
From the pre-Olympic recording sessions in November and January to the performance at Rice-Eccles Olympic Stadium, "it's been an educational experience," said Keith Lockhart, the music director of the Utah Symphony.
Lockhart has also served as conductor for the Boston Pops since 1995. He noted that on Feb. 3, when he directed the Boston orchestra's pregame performance at the Super Bowl in New Orleans—a room-temperature gig in the Louisiana Superdome—the producers and players had the same prerecorded setup in place.
Basically, said Lockhart, he's learned that "any time this sort of thing happens, it's done this way." And when the temperature is below freezing, he added, there's no real choice: "Orchestral instruments don't function when it's 25 degrees."
As for the needling references he's heard to the Milli Vanilli lip-syncing scandal of 1990, Lockhart said there's no parallel because "everything that was recorded, we played."
In the Milli Vanilli controversy, the pop band's frontmen, Rob Pilatus and Fabrice Morvan, and their German producer Frank Farian admitted that the duo never sang a note on their "Girl You Know It's True" album, which sold 10 million copies, or in concert. In a 1992 move to settle a consumer lawsuit, the duo's record company, Arista, agreed to give partial refunds to fans who bought recordings and attended concerts.

Playing Live Along With
Recorded Soundtrack

One of eeriest aspects of the Olympic adventure, Green said, was sitting amid the musicians during their quasi-performance, hearing genuinely live instrumental sounds around him while the full recorded soundtrack echoed through the stadium.
"I sat right in the orchestra," Green said. "And they were very caught up in the experience of it all, and they did play. They either followed the conductor closely or wore headsets. You could hear some instruments stick out, because the strings really get swallowed up. You could definitely hear the percussions and the brass. It was like an orchestra that wasn't well-balanced.... I think the world would have looked at the Utah Symphony pretty sadly,
had we not prerecorded."
In the offices of the 360-voice Mormon Tabernacle Choir, spokesman Randy Riplinger said those singers "have many times prerecorded and sung over the top of it." Among the occasions: presidential inaugurals, Utah Jazz basketball games and church productions at the 21,000-seat Conference Center in Salt Lake City.
But not every performer in Salt Lake was well-versed in these subtleties. When dancer Glover landed a spot in the closing ceremonies, the producers surprised him by insisting that he prerecord a "tap track" and dance along to it, instead of creating the sounds live.
"I've never done that before, I always improvise my solos," Glover told The Times. "But now I have to choreograph a routine and stick to it."
Word of the prerecorded performances has provoked no particular outcry in Salt Lake City, although the subject was raised in a Feb. 19 letter to the editor of the Salt Lake City Tribune.
In that note, reader Bill Bynum complained that at the opening ceremonies, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's performance of Williams' composition also included the voices of the child choristers of the Madeleine Choir School, "who had recorded the song earlier with the Tabernacle Choir and the Utah Symphony" but were not invited to appear in the stadium.
Apparently, the letter writer suggested, the event's organizers believe "that children should be heard but not seen."

Copyright 2002 Los Angeles Times
Old 02-28-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
I wouldn't be surprised if some people here really WERE disturbed by kiss thinking they are the epitomy of evil in our society....
If Kiss epitomizes anything, it would be crassness
Old 02-28-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What songs did Kiss play?

Also, remember that Kiss is very popular internationally, and the Olympics are an international event...
Old 02-28-02, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Heat
What songs did Kiss play?

Also, remember that Kiss is very popular internationally, and the Olympics are an international event...

The only song they ever play..."Rock n roll all night"
Old 02-28-02, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

The only song they ever play..."Rock n roll all night"

tell me about it.

this group has 30 years under its belt and they can only play this song when making appearences.
Old 03-01-02, 01:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

at least they didn't play "I Was Made for Loving You"!!

<small>It annoys me that Black Sabbath are always expected to play Paranoid when they have other, better songs that could impress new listeners.</small>
Old 03-01-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by benedict
at least they didn't play "I Was Made for Loving You"!!

<small>It annoys me that Black Sabbath are always expected to play Paranoid when they have other, better songs that could impress new listeners.</small>

Like Children of the Grave. I love that song. When i saw Sabbath last year they closed with that song and I had a fit.

Kiss is awesome in concert and are a good band.
Old 03-01-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a friend who was hanging on for dear life to being a fan of KISS. Then I played him the interview of Gene Simmons by Terri Gross on NPR...it was so demeaning and condescending that he swore off of Kiss.

Two nights later, we saw them on the Olympics, and I told him "You made it just in time."
Old 03-01-02, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Three Day Delay
I have a friend who was hanging on for dear life to being a fan of KISS. Then I played him the interview of Gene Simmons by Terri Gross on NPR...it was so demeaning and condescending that he swore off of Kiss.

Two nights later, we saw them on the Olympics, and I told him "You made it just in time."

If a band members personal politics make you dislike a band, then Id say you really werent a fan to begin with.
I like them for their music and show...I could care less what Gene says or does..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.