Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The all things METALLICA thread!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-23-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnetic Update

About a month ago we mentioned that we have a live DVD in the works to complete the Death Magnetic experience and leaned on you to help us decide which songs would be on the main disc. As promised, we're back now with more details on that DVD, Quebec Magnetic (!?!) which will find its way to your local retailer, online store, Metallica.com and favorite digital provider on December 10, 2012.

This release is a first for us... yes boys and girls, the DVD and Blu-ray will be come out on our very own label in North America! There are still some "i's" being dotted and "t's crossed, so we can't give you a name or fancy logo just yet, but we're pretty excited that for the first time we get to hold all the reins on a release from start to finish. Since we now get to call all the shots, the double DVD and single disc Blu-ray will be available for a price we thought was very Metallica fan friendly - suggested retail will be $15.98 for either format.

Just in case you missed the first story, the DVD was shot by our long time cohort Wayne Isham, capturing the two World Magnetic shows in Quebec City in the fall of 2009. You were kind enough to help us select the set list by voting here on this site, choosing the songs played in setlist number two as the main program. All the songs played at those two shows will be included on the DVD/Blu-ray. You can peruse the set list and, of course, check out the cover below.

Tracklisting
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
The Four Horsemen
The Shortest Straw
One
Broken, Beat & Scarred
My Apocalypse
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master of Puppets
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Killing Time
Whiplash
Seek & Destroy

Bonus Songs
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Holier Than Thou
Cyanide
Turn the Page
All Nightmare Long
Damage, Inc.
Breadfan
Phantom Lord
Old 10-23-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

$15.98 for a Blu-ray? See, it's shit like this that reminds me why Metallica is one of those bands that really is all about the fans.
Old 10-23-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love it if they'd include a deluxe version with all the selected songs on two or three CD's as well. But I agree, that price for a blu-ray is an absolute steal.
Old 10-23-12, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I haven't seen anything, so have they stated they will bring their new stage out on tour? It seems like a lot to create for a single run in Mexico, regardless of how many shows the did do there.
Old 10-23-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
$15.98 for a Blu-ray? See, it's shit like this that reminds me why Metallica is one of those bands that really is all about the fans.
My first though is like most music these days Music Blu Rays aren't exactly flying out the door.
Old 10-23-12, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ARG, why couldn't they film the MONTREAL shows instead of the Quebec City ones!?

I was at the Montreal show and it was kick ass! Hey at least it's in the same province
Old 10-23-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jippy
I'd love it if they'd include a deluxe version with all the selected songs on two or three CD's as well. But I agree, that price for a blu-ray is an absolute steal.
that's a good idea - like what they did with the Mexico release right? I also liked what they did with the France set with the deluxe treatment but too bad that one didn't come with CDs.

Metallica is one of those bands that I can never get tired of listening to 'live'.
Old 10-23-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Didnt they perform Orion at some of these 2009 shows? I would love to see their live rendition of it.
Old 10-23-12, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Magnetic Update

About a month ago we mentioned that we have a live DVD in the works to complete the Death Magnetic experience and leaned on you to help us decide which songs would be on the main disc. As promised, we're back now with more details on that DVD, Quebec Magnetic (!?!) which will find its way to your local retailer, online store, Metallica.com and favorite digital provider on December 10, 2012.

This release is a first for us... yes boys and girls, the DVD and Blu-ray will be come out on our very own label in North America! There are still some "i's" being dotted and "t's crossed, so we can't give you a name or fancy logo just yet, but we're pretty excited that for the first time we get to hold all the reins on a release from start to finish. Since we now get to call all the shots, the double DVD and single disc Blu-ray will be available for a price we thought was very Metallica fan friendly - suggested retail will be $15.98 for either format.

Just in case you missed the first story, the DVD was shot by our long time cohort Wayne Isham, capturing the two World Magnetic shows in Quebec City in the fall of 2009. You were kind enough to help us select the set list by voting here on this site, choosing the songs played in setlist number two as the main program. All the songs played at those two shows will be included on the DVD/Blu-ray. You can peruse the set list and, of course, check out the cover below.

Tracklisting
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
The Four Horsemen
The Shortest Straw
One
Broken, Beat & Scarred
My Apocalypse
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
The Judas Kiss
The Day That Never Comes
Master of Puppets
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Killing Time
Whiplash
Seek & Destroy

Bonus Songs
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Holier Than Thou
Cyanide
Turn the Page
All Nightmare Long
Damage, Inc.
Breadfan
Phantom Lord

how dare U start a new thread!

Old 10-23-12, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Surprise!! One More Show for 2012

Happy Halloween! We've got a last minute addition to the schedule for you as we will be traveling to New Orleans on Saturday, October 27 to be a part of our first ever Voodoo Music + Arts Experience. Our good friends and fellow Bay Area residents Green Day had to unfortunately cancel their plans to be there, so we are more than happy to fill in for them in our own unique way. We’re hoping we can fill those very large shoes and do them proud!

Tickets for the whole weekend festival as well as the Saturday show are still available. All the information is posted at thevoodooexperience.com.

Hope to see you out there for the festivities and some Halloween fun.

ROCK IN RIO

We're back with another show announcement and unlike last week's posting, we're giving you almost a whole year’s notice!! We are super psyched to be returning to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil for our sixth Rock in Rio on September 19, 2013. How's that for advance planning?!

Tickets will be available in a special pre-sale for Rock In Rio members beginning October 23 at 12:01 AM. Rock in Rio cards, the equivalent of a ticket in advance for one day, will go on sale on October 30 at 12:01 AM and this sale is open only to fans who are Brazilian residents. (please click here for more info about Rock in Rio cards) For those of you who live outside the country and plan to travel to Brazil, there will be an international ticket sale in April of 2013 and we will keep you posted here once we have specific dates and times. All the festival and ticket information is available at www.rockinrio.com.br.

Hope to see you out there for one of our favorite festivals!
Old 10-23-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully with their new label they will release the 16-Disc Blu-ray set of their 30th Anniversary shows and also the Orion Fest "Black album" show.
Old 10-23-12, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
how dare U start a new thread!

I had to! This one encompasses all things Metallica, not just "one song from the Death Magnetic sessions".

It's all yours now! Go for it!
Old 10-23-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a scary feeling they're going to release the 30th Anniversary shows as the next "fan can".

Which sucks because you had to be (a LUCKY) part of the fan club to get into the shows. And if they do it as part of a "fan can", only a select people from the fan club who win a lottery will get it.
Old 10-23-12, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I have a scary feeling they're going to release the 30th Anniversary shows as the next "fan can".

Which sucks because you had to be (a LUCKY) part of the fan club to get into the shows. And if they do it as part of a "fan can", only a select people from the fan club who win a lottery will get it.
Shit I hope not, haven't been a member in ages and when I was I did get the first four FAN CANS.

And it sucks 'cause the last Fan Can was with the DENMARK Blu-ray

I WANT MORE "MET" BLU-RAYS!
Old 10-24-12, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow I didn't know that they released a BD just for fan club members... Now I gotta go check on ebay...
Old 10-24-12, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More Metallica news: METALLICA will enter the studio "in the next couple of months" to begin work on its next full-length album, tentatively due in 2014. Speaking to Loudwire, the band's guitarist, Kirk Hammett, stated about the status of the songwriting process for the next CD, "We just filmed a 3D movieup in Vancouver. That's been at the forefront of our attention right now. We've been dealing with the audio aspect of that and pretty soon we're going to start seeing footage from the concert. Once that particular project kind of dies down and we complete what we need to do with that, then we're going to start writing songs. We're going to meet up and start throwing ideas together. That should be really, really interesting. I'm really looking forward to that. What's not going to be so fun is going through all the musical ideas that we have. I'm not really good at editing myself because I think it's all good. To be more thorough on that, though, I foresee us starting to get together fairly soon, like in the next couple of months. We'll start hammering away on it."

"Death Magnetic" was METALLICA's last under its contract with Warner Music Group — where the band has been making records since 1984.

METALLICA frontman James Hetfield told The Pulse Of Radio about the end of the band's contract with Warner, "It's kind of a good feeling to feel that you're free from any piece of paper that binds you to something. But over our career, we've learned a lot about record companies, the goods and evils of the business and this and that, and we're not very focused on that right now. It is what it is, and when it becomes time for us to either renegotiate or shop around or do things ourselves or something like that, we don't know. There's nothing but options, which is great."

METALLICA's 3D movie will reportedly mix concert footage with a storyline.

The band is financing the project itself and has hired "Predators" director Nimród Antal to get behind the camera. Antal filmed METALLICA's three concerts in Vancouver, Canada for use in the movie.

The show featured a brand new 140-foot-by-50-foot stage that included what a post at the band's web site called "colossal components and striking visual elements spanning METALLICA's entire 30-year career."
Old 10-25-12, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to hate Metallica. I think it was because for so many years people basically shoved them down my throat as the best metal band and I got sick of their attitude about them (kinda like people from Texas) that i wouldn't listen to them. I started listening to metal my Sophmore year of high school in 2000 and didn't really try Metallica till 07. Slowly but surely that got turned around and I fell in love with them. I ended up loving all their albums except St Anger (just an awful sounding record). Finally got to see them live 3 years later in Atlanta right after i came back from my first deployment. Was close enough to high five James. Was an amazing show with Godjira and Lamb of God opening, the later i had seen 3 times before and always kill so it made the show even more fun.

I thought the last record was great. Just a straight thrash metal album that had the speed of Kill em All. The only downfall was the production. It's been well talked about the loudness of the album and the terrible mixing. I hope with the new record they can fix that and keep the push up on the speed of the album. One of the things i love about them is how much they make available to their fans. Every concert is different and every show they seem to just be having fun. I also appreciate that they make their concerts available after the show. I have to wonder why more bands don't do this. Puts easy money in the band of the pocket and having a tshirt and a copy of the concert you attended is the perfect reminder of what a great show it was.
Old 10-25-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow for once some positive comments towards Metallica on their threads .
Old 10-25-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metallica's 'Quebec Magnetic' DVD Captures 'Two Phenomenal Shows'

Though a couple of video projects -- including a 3D movie for next year -- are dominating Metallica's time at the moment, the group is getting ready to start making some new musical noise in the not-too-distant future.

Guitarist Kirk Hammett -- who's busy with a book about his horror memorabilia, "Too Much Horror Business," and a new line of Kirk Von Hammett horror toys -- tells Billboard, "We're going to seriously start thinking about making a new album soon. We have tons of ideas, and that really is never a problem. We never have a lack of ideas -- if anything, the problem is we have too many ideas. But, yeah... it's something we're gonna start thinking pretty seriously about here. In about a couple months or so we're gonna seriously start working it out."

Before that, however, Metallica is focused on the Dec. 10 release of "Quebec Magnetic," a two-DVD/Blu-ray concert set filmed by Wayne Isham during a two-night stand in October of 2009 in Quebec City -- which will also be Metallica's first self-released project. "We just played two really phenomenal shows. They were outrageously great and the audience was great and we had a bunch of people filming it," Hammett recalls. "We felt like we're really doing a disservice just sitting on this great live footage, so we decided to put it out." "Quebec Magnetic" will feature one entire show and eight bonus songs taken from the other performance.

The 3D movie, directed by Nimrod Antal and due out in the summer of 2013, will combine performance footage from August at Rogers Arena in Vancouver with what Hammett describes as "a storyline that weaves in and out of the film...but there's no real dialogue. The storyline actually involves the band, and it's a very cool thing. I'm really looking forward to it." The film will feature professional actors, including Dean DeHaan ("Chronicle," "Lawless," HBO's "True Blood") as "a Metallica fan, and his performance is just as intense as our own performance."

Hammett adds that he and his bandmates are currently "kind of working our way through the audio portion of this 3D movie, just making sure that everything`s right, and the same with the 'Quebec' DVD. We're kind of working our way through it and making sure everything's right with it -- the packaging's right, the sound is right, the editing's right."

http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/...07991192.story
Old 10-26-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$11.19 Quebec Magnetic [Blu-ray] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
Old 10-28-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NEW ORLEANS, LA
October 27, 2012
Voodoo Music + Arts Experience - City Park

MAIN SET
1. Hit the Lights
2. Master of Puppets
3. Holier Than Thou
4. Harvester of Sorrow
5. Of Wolf & Man
6. Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
7. All Nightmare Long
8. Sad But True
9. Fade to Black
10. Orion
11. One
12. For Whom the Bell Tolls
13. Blackened
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
ENCORE
16. Creeping Death
17. Battery
18. Seek & Destroy
Old 11-19-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

JASON NEWSTED: 'It Took Me 12 Years To Come Back To Earth' After Leaving METALLICA

Former METALLICA and VOIVOD bassist Jason Newsted was interviewed on this past Friday's (Novermber 16) edition of Eddie Trunk's "Friday Night Rocks" radio show on New York's Q104.3 FM. A few excerpts from the chat follow below (transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET).

On what promped him to launch his official web site, NewstedHeavyMetal.com, and release music under his own name after so many years:

Jason: "I've thought about this for a long time, putting my name on a project other than just coming up with a clever name, like ECHOBRAIN or PAPA WHEELIE or something. We have a lot of cool names for projects, but this is the first time with my name and really trying to get out to the people that I played for by the millions in the past with METALLICA. I think I've waited just long enough, and I think the people are ready, and I'm ready, so I'm gonna try to get some music together and see what I can do for some people. We'll see what comes about in the next couple of months here."

On what the project is going to be called:

Jason: "It'll be called Newsted Heavy Metal Music. Whatever it ends up being — if it's five songs, 20 songs, 50 songs… I don't even know what the heck I'm gonna do. I have so much music from over the years. I have a bunch of new stuff, I have so many mixes of projects with people — new players, young players, old-school players like myself — so I'm just trying to figure out exactly what I wanna unleash on everybody first. That's kind of what it's coming down to — the timing of things and how I wanna hit people with it, and which stuff [to release first]."

On how he plans to release his music:

Jason: "I see a couple of the old avenues still being there that will always be there in the purest form — making the vinyl and everybody having the special-edition vinyl to be able to read the lyrics, stuff like you and I loved the most, that's the closest to us that's the most endearing and the most personal. So that's always gonna be there and I never wanna dismiss that, so that will be percentage of it for the fans that really dig the real American kick-ass guitar music. So I wanna make sure that that part is there. And then the newest avenues that I'm just really now learning about as I expose myself to all this stuff… I saw a piece of one of ['That Metal Show' espisodes on VH1 Classic] and somebody talked about DOWN and some other bands doing four tracks at a time in EP form every few months, letting people have some fresh metal. I think that's a pretty good concept, a pretty good formula — I'm hip to that, [and] I'd like to warm up to that. Since it is new territory for me, I'm really open to that idea; I think it's a good way to spread stuff. Like today, [my official] web site has been up up there for 12 hours officially and there's been thousands and thousands of people from all over so many countries already saying, 'Let's come up with some tunes for us to listen to.' Back in the day, man, when I was tape-trading and working with FLOTSAM AND JETSAM, I had to put one tape at a time in an envelope with custom tags and I had to figure out how much it was to go to Ireland or Spain or wherever, man — one at a time. I had to go to the post office and mail it and I did it, and I did it very dilligently, and that's why FLOTSAM got to be where they were, and that's actually the very reason that I got the gig with METALLICA, because of all of those letters and my correspondence all over the world. When Lars [Ulrich, METALLICA drummer] called out and reached out to all of his contacts across the world, my name came out of everyone's mouth: 'This kid is organized.' That's why I got the gig — because I tape-trader and I was so committed to sharing the music. Now I can do that with one push of a button and it's a squillion people. I know about the labors and what it takes one at a time, and I'm not afraid to do that, but I know that I have the chance now, from all of my hard work for 30 years, I'm gonna be able to share [the music] with a bunch of people at once. Anybody that really gives a snot about the music and cares about what I'm doing, I wanna share with them. Everybody else: peace, man. There's room for everybody. Enjoy what you enjoy. It might not be for everybody, but the people that it's for, let's go get it, you know?!"

On whether he plans on embracing the social media full-on after leading such a reclusive life for the past decade:

Jason: "It's kind of two very diferrent sides of the same coin in the way that in all of my time with METALLICA, I went to every single pre-show and every single after-show. I might have missed literally four out of two thousands [after-]shows, and the only reason I did is because the kids' fingers and lips were turning blue and it was so cold, we couldn't go outside to sign for them. That was the only reason that I've ever been held back where I would ever not go and make those connections. So that's the part of me with the people, being fueled by their energy and the energy exchange and the love for the metal and being together with that. Everybody that knows anything about how I've run my game, run my life over time on a professional level [knows it was all about] that — the connection with the people, the eye-level thing, always giving somebody a minute. That was always my mantra: I can always give every one of these people one minute. There was weeks when [we were doing] the 'Black' album tour, we did 24 months in a row, or whatever the heck that thing was, with no stopping, there was five or seven or nine hundred or eleven hundred people every week that I would look in their eyes and shake their hand and give them one minute. And I always did that. Now, after I got out of METALLICA, there was all kinds of crazy, heavy emotions [I felt] that nobody knows about. And I'm the only guy on the planet that was in that band and I'm out of that band, but I'm still breathing. So I did a very serious, reclusive deal. I built a ranch in Montana in the center of a forest of millions of acres of nothing. That kind of thing where I just said, 'OK, screw it, man! I'm outta here.' I went that far opposite of my connection with the people. It took me 12 years to come back to earth, and here I am now. And my big, black boots are on the ground and I'm ready to go."

On how perfming with METALLICA in December 2011 at all four intimate shows at the Fillmore in San Francisco as part of the band's week-long celebration of its 30th anniversary as a group gave him the incentive to reconnect with the fans again:

Jason: "The initial thing of the obvious stimulation and the 'adrenaline starts to flow,' and all that kind of thing, that was just right there, palpable. [I was] with my boys again, everybody, looking in each other's guys, going to rehearsal and jamming that stuff loud again and feeling the wall of sound, and just 'Wow!', levitating right off the ground. Then I get to the show and what really did it, what really was the catalyst [for me getting the urge to reconnect with everyone] was the people. I had no idea what to expect when I got there, but the response from the fans… There was people from all over the world there at those shows. And in so many languages and so many accents and stuff, they're screaming, man. And I hadn't been to shows enough to realize… It used to be the lighters that show the appreciation, now it's the screens of the phones that show the appreciation. And as I look out there, when [Rob] Halford comes on, half the room's got the screens up, and when King Diamond comes on, a third of the room's got the sceens up. When Jason comes on the stage, every screen in the room is up in the sky and people are chanting. And I'm like, 'Holy crap, man!' I was so overwhelmingly pleasantly surprised that that just hit me. Like, 'Wow, you know what?! I might be able to do this again. The appreciation of the people can bring me back.' The reason why I ever freakin' did it and loved it so much to begin with is the thing that brings me back."

On the neck and back injuries he sustained banging his head every night onstage with METALLICA which contributed to his decision to leave the band:

Jason: "If you go back and look at those videos, like any of the live videos and stuff, oh my God — there's no wonder that it's the way it is; there's definitely some serious degeneration that's taken place in my vertebrae. I don't know how many people spun their head like that that early in the progress of all this. I'm not gonna take the blame or the credit for anybody doing it anymore these days, but I know I did my share. I've had three shoulder surgeries and going back and forth with them, kind of to fix everything up, so I've been in rehab for many, many years trying to get everything back together. So I'm a lot better than I was for the last, probably six or seven years, I'm a lot stronger. I've always retained my same fighting weight, I've kept myself fit in that way, so that's all cool. And I'm pretty close to the monster, and I think if I work on it a little bit, I can be the monster again."

BLABBERMOUTH.net
Old 11-19-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0dsmswM72wI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-28-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UHhDep1NzWE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-29-12, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Are they ever going to release the 30th Anniversary show to DVD/Blu-ray?

I have the mp3s, but it just isn't the same as seeing it...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.