Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

47 Ronin (2013, Reeves)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

47 Ronin (2013, Reeves)

Old 03-01-11, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47 Ronin (2013, Reeves)

Considering how much of a beloved and timeless story 47 Ronin is in Japan (a historical fact that it happened as well), I'm not too sure how well it will be received by a Western audience with some Hollywood actors. Though I am pleasantly surprised by the involvement of very well-respected Japanese actors such as Sanada & Asano.

UNIVERSAL PICTURES ANNOUNCES START OF PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY ON 47 RONIN, THE NEW EPIC 3D FANTASY-ADVENTURE STARRING KEANU REEVES

Japanese Superstars Hiroyuki Sanada, Kou Shibasaki, Tadanobu Asano and Rinko Kikuchi Join Cast of Epic Inspired by Ancient Japan's Most Enduring Legend

LONDON, ENGLAND, March 1, 2011--Universal Pictures announced today that principal photography begins March 14 on 47 Ronin, the new epic 3D fantasy-adventure inspired by ancient Japan's most enduring tale. Keanu Reeves leads the cast as Kai, an outcast who joins Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada), the leader of the 47 Ronin. Together they seek vengeance upon the treacherous overlord who killed their master and banished their kind. To restore honor to their homeland, the warriors embark upon a quest that challenges them with a series of trials that would destroy ordinary warriors.

47 Ronin is helmed by visionary director Carl Erik Rinsch (The Gift). Inspired by styles as diverse as Miyazaki and Hokusai, Rinsch will bring to life the stunning landscapes and enormous battles that will display the timeless Ronin story to global audiences in a way that's never been seen before.

Joining Reeves in the cast are a who's who of Japanese superstars, including Hiroyuki Sanada (The Twilight Samurai, Sunshine, The Last Samurai) as the clan's chief samurai, Oishi; Kou Shibasaki (The Lady Shogun and Her Men, One Missed Call) as their master's daughter and the love of Kai's life, Mika; Tadanobu Asano (Mongol, Ichi the Killer, upcoming Thor) as the treacherous Lord Kira; and Academy Award®-nominated actress Rinko Kikuchi (Babel, Norwegian Wood) as the mysterious lady Mizuki who executes Kira's every request in his search for ultimate power.
The film is from writers Chris Morgan (Wanted, Fast Five) and Hossein Amini (upcoming Drive, The Wings of the Dove). Scott Stuber (The Kingdom, upcoming Battleship), Pamela Abdy (Garden State, Man on the Moon) and Eric McLeod (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and At World's End, Tropic Thunder) produce the epic.

Rinsch leads a behind-the-scenes crew comprised of two-time Academy Award®-nominated cinematographer John Mathieson (Gladiator, Robin Hood); two-time Academy Award®-nominated production designer Jan Roelfs (Alexander, Gattaca); editor Craig Wood (Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, The Ring); costume designer Penny Rose (Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, Evita); special effects producer Paul Corbould (Mamma Mia!, The Wolfman); and visual effects producer Garv Thorp (The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Your Highness).
Old 03-01-11, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 47 Ronin

A shame they're going to insult the Chushingura with some horrendous film.
Old 03-01-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They had me up until the named the writer.
Old 03-01-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't wait to see what the Scott Brothers protege/son in law does in his feature film debut.
Old 03-02-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Press con:
http://47ronin.jp/pres.html
Old 03-02-11, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well that was interesting...kind of boring though.

I'm assuming this will be all in Japanese?

Wait...foolish me...

Reeves will play a samurai who is half-Japanese and half-British; the character was created for the film. Sanada will play clan chief Oishi, Asano will play Lord Kora, and Kikuchi will play "the mysterious" Lady Mizuki. Shibasaki will play the love interest of Reeves's character in her Hollywood debut.
Guess not...well some of it maybe in Japanese. I'm assuming that w/ the inclusion of Reeves it was easier to convince the studio to back it?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-02-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Half British? British can encompass alot. He could be half Chinese then.
Old 03-03-11, 12:52 PM
Banned

how tall are the other guys, I forgot. Isn't he a bit taller? lol.
Old 03-03-11, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

See the 1963 version, CHUSHINGURA, with Toshiro Mifune. Can't go wrong there. No Hollywood stars in it. Nick Adams, the Keanu Reeves of his time*, had to wait a couple of years for his first Japanese film.

(*That's a joke, son, that's a joke.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-03-11 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As per wiki, this will be more of a fantasy based story rather than history:

47 Ronin is directed by Carl Erik Rinsch based on a screenplay by Chris Morgan and Hossein Amini. While the film is based on the true story of the forty-seven Ronin, it is a fantastical take, being set "in a world of witches and giants".[4] The studio Universal Pictures first announced the project in December 2008 with actor Keanu Reeves attached to star. Variety reported, "The film will tell a stylized version of the story, mixing fantasy elements of the sort seen in 'The Lord of the Rings' pics, with gritty battle scenes akin to those in films such as 'Gladiator.'" Universal planned to produce the film in 2009 after finding a director.[5] In November 2009, Universal entered talks with Rinsch to direct the film. For Rinsch, who has filmed "visual and stylish" blurbs for brands, the film is his feature film debut.[6]

In December 2010, the studio announced that the film would be produced and released in 3D.[7] Between March[8] and April[9] 2011, five Japanese actors were cast alongside Reeves: Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano, Rinko Kikuchi, Kou Shibasaki, and Jin Akanishi. According to Variety, Universal chose them to make the story more authentic instead of choosing actors that would be recognizable in the United States. Universal is providing Rinsch with a production budget of $170 million despite his lack of feature film experience, which The Hollywood Reporter considered to be a "large-scale, downright risky" move. Filming began on March 14, 2011 in Budapest.[10] Production moved to Shepperton Studios in the United Kingdom; additional filming in Japan is also planned.[2] Reeves said that scenes are filmed first in the Japanese language to familiarize the cast, and the scenes are filmed again in the English language.[4] The actors' costumes were designed by Penny Rose, who said, "We decided to base it on the culture and what the shapes should be—i.e., everyone's in a kimono—but we've thrown a kind of fashion twist at it. And we've made it full of color, which is quite unusual for me."[11]
Old 05-09-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm surprised we've only seen a few set pics but not so much as a teaser already.
Old 05-09-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

And people wonder why Universal makes shitty decisions on which films to greenlight.
Old 05-09-12, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

There were so many Japanese films based on this that I have completely lost track.
Old 05-09-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole
There were so many Japanese films based on this that I have completely lost track.
Yeah, I recently picked up a DVD of the 1958 version, which I'd never heard of before I came across it in a store. I have at least four other versions in my collection including a Japanese stage musical version with female pop stars in the lead roles.
Old 08-15-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Keanu Reeves-starrer 47 Ronin pushed from February 8, 2013 to Christmas Day, 2013. It’s the second time that the film has been pushed, and this delay revolves around the need for a bit of re-shooting and visual effects work that is being done in London and couldn’t be executed while the Olympics were going on. There have been rumors of woe on this one, directed by heralded commercials helmer Carl Erik Rinsch. While movies that are doing reshoots have become the target of bloodsport reporting, studio insiders maintain that the film is getting where it needs to be to succeed.
Old 08-15-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
There have been rumors of whoa! on this one
Fixed
Old 08-15-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite version remains:

"Edokko Chushingura" (2003), a stage musical with the Japanese pop group, Morning Musume:

(And that's sub-group Minimoni in the snazzy ninja outfits)

Here's the DVD cover:
Old 08-15-12, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Keanu Reeves-starrer 47 Ronin pushed from February 8, 2013 to Christmas Day, 2013. It’s the second time that the film has been pushed, and this delay revolves around the need for a bit of re-shooting and visual effects work that is being done in London and couldn’t be executed while the Olympics were going on. There have been rumors of woe on this one, directed by heralded commercials helmer Carl Erik Rinsch. While movies that are doing reshoots have become the target of bloodsport reporting, studio insiders maintain that the film is getting where it needs to be to succeed.
Damnit, I didn't realize it had been pushed back once before. Thought it was coming out around Thanksgiving this year.
Old 08-15-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Crap. I was hoping for a trailer by now.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
My favorite version remains:

"Edokko Chushingura" (2003), a stage musical with the Japanese pop group, Morning Musume:

(And that's sub-group Minimoni in the snazzy ninja outfits)

Here's the DVD cover:
And now I have to see this. Damn you, Ash Ketchum!
Old 08-15-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp

And now I have to see this. Damn you, Ash Ketchum!
It's probably on-line somewhere with subtitles. (The MM fans at Hello Online are very good at posting stuff like this with subs.) The DVD I purchased has no subs. and was very expensive. But I loved it anyway.
Old 08-15-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's probably on-line somewhere with subtitles. (The MM fans at Hello Online are very good at posting stuff like this with subs.) The DVD I purchased has no subs. and was very expensive. But I loved it anyway.
I haven't been able to find it on YouTube. Am I at least on the right track?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NTxlxgZYEIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-12, 06:14 PM
Banned

man that's weird.
Old 08-15-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
man that's weird.
No weirder than this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EPcBaOcQOE0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bWcVES9UPSQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome movie (despite some crappy CGI gore), if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-15-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

For minute I thought his was the film Keanu was directing. I guess not.
Old 08-15-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No. Man of Tai Chi is the film Keanu is directing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.