Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Defiance

Old 04-16-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Defiance

Hey

i thought there was a thread on this but couldn't find it so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. that said I was wondering if anyone here is playing the game (and watching the new series)? I was a bit interested but figured with last months GOW and now Bioshock i wouldn't have time or something else would be going on.

i've got two friends that picked it up and they were a bit skeptical at first but now have said it's really a fun game despite some bugs and server issues. i'm still thinking of getting it since I got my $25 BB bonus for signing up on the new gamers club while pre-ordering GOW.
Old 04-16-13, 10:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Defiance

I tried the Beta of this, couldn't even connect to the server.
Old 04-18-13, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I went ahead and got the game yesterday using my $25 BB Gamer Bonus. I finally got around to actual play after a long session of loading the game (have to) and one of the biggest "patch/updates' I've even had to load. After spending a good deal amount of time trying to get the right character to choose from...two races, male and female, skin and hair....I got in to the game.

There's been some calling this a "low end Borderlands rip-off" or parts of several games altogether. it's fun, it's dull, it's new, it's old and love or hate it. It's different for sure and don't think it's dull at all. Yes it does have some borderlands in it as well as Red Dead, Mass Effect, Earth Defense Force and a couple of others.

Similar to...

Borderlands...not entirely but there are some aspects. you are given a choice of four "Egos"...Cloak, Decoy, Overcharge and Blur to choose from. The difference is any character can choose an ability and not character specific. Then within those abilities you can upgrade...much like you do in Borderlands but a little more limited. However you can add perks...mini abilities to choose from healing to damage.

You can pick up stuff like money and items to use or sell. You won't find the zillion weapons but you can upgrade stuff (like in Dead Space). like Borderlands you get a a shiled, grenades and only two weapons in your rotation. Several slots to pick and add stuff and can expand.

Earth Defense, Dead Space and Borderlands...you fight bugs and zombie looking characters. Bugs ar from small to extemly huge...too huge to take alone.

Red Dead...If you played the open world of Red dead and liked the ability to roam, do missions, side missions and when stuff just popped up out of the blue..you'll love this but it's almost 4-5 times the action. You can head to do a mission and while getting there anything can happen...see something on the side like a rescure, battle gong on either AI or others in the game, a road block or when a Ark Falls...you can play or ignore. Finish a mission and a side mission might pop up. you might be doing a mission and someone might jump in and help. it's basically anything can happen and anyone can come and go.

I got in on one of the "Big Bug" shoot outs last night and there was every bit of 40 characters shooting it up...some AI and some real persons...it was wild! Everyone gets XP for the kill and also get drops...money, shields, guns, etc....

Mass Effect...there are some parts of the menus you use that looks like it. Plus there is some converstion between missions and characters. There s a great deal of customization on your character, your abilities, weapons, upgrades, how to spend the different monies (it's not all the same money). You will not be bored in that area.

If you're looking for a well polish great look game then this is not it. the graphics are behind but the gameplay makes up for it big time. there's alot going on the screen especially in the big battles and I didn't see any lag. Yes there are still weird things...some just vanish and re-appear down the road or close by. You do have to load the game and it's all online. You do earn "Ark Points" which can be entered at the main site. Your console can be tied to that so the points are then added to your character. pretty neat feature.

I can see why several say it's rough around the edges but has tons of potential...which it does. Actually i can remember before the second Borderlands game came out many were suggesting a more "open play style" like Red Dead where stuff just popped up anywhere and you could drop in or out like in the Posse Mode. Even though you can enemies are still restricted in certain areas where you know where they are and what to expect....not so here. Even when paused looking at the map (which is pretty good detail and info) you suddenly can be ambushed and slapped around out of the blue. I'll post more after a week of playing but for now it's pretty fun.
Old 04-18-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think a big plus is the free to pay model. That could be attractive.
Old 04-18-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Green Man Gaming has the PC download for $41.99 and supposedly there is a coupon code you can use to bring it down to $33.60, but I can't seem to find the code.

***Edit: found the code GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-18-13 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I think a big plus is the free to pay model. That could be attractive.
Huh?
Old 04-18-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Huh?
Well, you ARE free to pay.
Old 04-18-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

So this is an MMO? I thought it was a third person shooter from the ads.
Old 04-18-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
So this is an MMO? I thought it was a third person shooter from the ads.

It is "3rd person". I found the IGN Wiki on the game to be the most helpful.

http://www.ign.com/games/defiance/xbox-360-110770
Old 04-19-13, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

Yikes. 5.5 from IGN.

Glad I passed.
Old 04-19-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Yikes. 5.5 from IGN.

Glad I passed.

yea but.....8.6 user rating

Also Gamespot gave it a 6.0 but users average is 7.7

http://www.gamespot.com/defiance/rev...eview-6407242/

Yes it has some issues and far from being more polished like Borderlands but no-where near Aliens or RE. That said I probably wouldn't pay full price and feel getting it for $38.00 was ok. The scores and reviews on this are all over the place from 5 to 10. i've played twice now and both times another patch...the first one being the 15min DL. Last night was a small one. I wish they would've put out a normal demo for everyone to play but the way it's setup I'm not sure how.
Old 04-21-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched the pilot TV show last night. Not bad, could have been worse. Pretty cliche story and characters. How exactly does the game fit into the story line? Before or after?
Old 04-21-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edstein
I just watched the pilot TV show last night. Not bad, could have been worse. Pretty cliche story and characters. How exactly does the game fit into the story line? Before or after?
I thought during....
Old 04-22-13, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah during. Supposedly there will be subplots started in the show, continuing in the game, and vice versa. With characters crossing back and forth between the two.
Old 04-22-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well the other night I finally ran into the notorious Server Issue...getting bumped four times in one hour. in some of the major Ark Falls battles ther were signs of slow down but only when it was large clusters of battle and action centralized on the screen.

I'm still trying to get my head around the leveling of weapons, shields and missions. Shame one coudn't take the more polished play, menues and layout of borderlands and put it with the open massive world of Defiance with both AI and Live players.
Old 04-23-13, 10:16 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I started playing this on the 360....and it is actually getting its hooks in me.
Old 04-23-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I started playing this on the 360....and it is actually getting its hooks in me.

It's that way everytime I pop the game in with an intention of only playing a short time. It's not like you can say..."ok, I'll do two missions and call it a night". Because by the time you head to the first one, something is happening on the side of the road you jump in, see some others doing something, come upon a side mission like a time trial or one of those onslaught ones where you just want to keep trying or even better when Ark Falls and everyone close by heads over fora massive battle to get rewards in Keys, XP and Drops. And then it starts all over again.

By the way look at IGN's wiki and help on this...there is a small link in there for 120 codes to enter on the offical site where you link to the console and it keeps up with you status.
Old 04-28-13, 01:14 AM
gamer for life

I have put 15 hours into this and I keep coming back. It continues to blow me away.
Old 04-28-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Something that raised my eyebrows...I hang out from time-to-time at AGE...adult gamers and they have thread on Defiance. You're Level is based on EGO and I asked just how does this go. I'm at 428 and was told the cap is "5000"!!.

I've only touched about 1/3 of the main map and haven't even crossd the an Fran Bridge yet. I do wish getting together or even in co-op missions would be easier. Just me and one other did one last night where I got introduced to "The Hulk". I personally like the co-op missions but have only done two. One friend on my list is alredy at 1200 and he's still finding new stuff everyday.
Old 04-28-13, 10:23 AM
gamer for life

how do you unlock more coop missions? It still has only 1 coop missions available to me. (after I posted this the second coop popped up)

Last edited by foxdvd; 04-28-13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 10:37 PM
gamer for life

I am at 450 ego now...the game is so addicting...I hope people start figuring out how much fun this game is and sales pick up.
Old 04-28-13, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You to guys need to stop talking up this game. Its making me very tempted.
Old 04-29-13, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

I thought the same thing and saw how bad the reviews were elsewhere
Old 04-29-13, 12:32 PM
gamer for life

if anyone ever gets a legendary weapon, and wants to be nice enough to let me equip it, I will give it right back. Frustrating how they don't drop....you can only get them in boxes...
Old 04-30-13, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Right now I'm at 598 and still learning, still doing new things, still unsure on how things work and still having fun.

Along with the co-op missions bunch of stuff becomes available when you complete "pursuits"....co-op missions, more perks, weapons, outfits, currency, etc...

Just go to "Goals"....pull up the map and hit "LT" I think. When the wheel comes up highlight and enter "Goals". Then you'll see all your pursuits. When you complete say 1 of 5 you'll get stuff. But when you complete everything ithing the major pursuit you'll get even better stuff. You'll also unlock stuff when you hit 400, 500, and so on. Also check your "combat" and "contracts". There is so much going on and so much to do in this game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.