Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

Old 04-16-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

presents

The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge
May 1-31, 2013

The list thread is now active.

May is just two weeks away, so it's time, once again, to take a look at your dusty, unopened box sets, your unwatched stacks of Blu-rays, DVDs, HD-DVDs, LDs, VHS or Beta tapes, your DVR, your Netflix queue, etc., and decide what you should spend 31 days watching. Now's your chance to finally watch all the stuff that didn't fit, or that you just didn't get around to, during the other Challenges.

You choose your own Challenge theme and you make the rules.

There are however a few guidelines which everyone should follow.

Challenge Guidelines:

The Challenge runs from May 1 through May 31.

Sure, you can run your May MYOC in September if you want, but the list thread will only be stickied during May, so if you want anyone else to see what you're up to, please try to keep it within those dates.

Please state your challenge theme and your challenge goal and rules (if any) at the top of your list(s) in the list thread so others can tell what you're doing.

Please don't duplicate an existing "Official" DVD Talk Challenge.

This guideline is mainly here so we don't subtract from participation in any of the other Challenges, and to encourage participants to focus on genres not already covered by a Challenge, but since everyone's "need to watch" list is different, and you're able to watch stuff that qualifies for one or more of the other Challenges during every other Challenge, you're free to narrow the focus of one of the broader "Official" Challenges.

For example; Say you only collect horror, then you could make your Challenge to watch just horror films, or just horror TV shows, or just zombie films, etc. Or if you have lots of unwatched Sci-Fi, then your MYOC could be just watch Sci-Fi movies, or watch Star Trek shows, or watch TOS, etc.

Here's Trevor's handy-dandy list of Challenges from his "Official" DVDTalk Challenges Compendium thread:

DVDTalk Challenge Schedule

Month
Month-long Challenge
Partial Month Challenge
JanuaryTVHoliday ends on the 1st; varying Academy Award
Februarynonevarying Academy Award
MarchAction/Adventure/Crimevarying Academy Award
AprilDrive-In/Exploitation/B-Movienone
MayMake-Your-Ownnone
JuneHistorical Appreciationnone
JulySci-Fi/Fantasynone
AugustAnimationnone
SeptemberCriterionnone
OctoberHorrornone
NovemberComedyHoliday starts week of Thanksgiving
DecemberHolidaynone

New for this year: Since we already have Monthly "Unwatched Movie Pile" Threads, please do not use "Unwatched Movie Pile" as a theme.

There was some discussion of this last year where people weren't happy with this being used as a theme, and I tend to agree that it is a little lazy. So how about giving a little thought to the theme and coming up with something a little more creative, please?

Check out the previous threads for ideas:
2010 discussion thread.
2010 list thread.
2011 discussion thread.
2011 list thread.
2012 discussion thread.
2012 list thread.

Free stuff!

provided by

Thanks, GoldenWheels!

On June 1st, three winners will be randomly chosen from the Challenge participants (using Random.org). In keeping with the spirit of the Make-Your-Own Challenge, those three winners will pick their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com.

Prize selection will be limited to items priced $20 or less.

Any unclaimed prize opportunities will be re-gifted on June 4.

I will announce the prizes chosen so we can all be envious and/or amused by the selections.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-24-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

I'm going to do another Commentary Track Challenge this year.
Old 04-16-13, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Fourth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2013

Hmm, I am definitely participating but I have no idea what I'll be watching. It'll be my first time in this particular challenge. Hmm, what to watch, what to watch... I may lean toward unwatched TV series, or is that too broad? I know during January, I kept on thinking of series that I could add in and just didn't get to.
Old 04-16-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm still neck deep in the Stargate franchise so I'll continue that for this challenge.
Old 04-16-13, 06:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Part of my major spring cleaning involves most of my DVDs going to storage for a short while, so my options are limited.

I'll probably take the easy way out and just try to plow through a season or two of Lost, a project my wife and I started last July.
Old 04-16-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LJG765
Hmm, I am definitely participating but I have no idea what I'll be watching. It'll be my first time in this particular challenge. Hmm, what to watch, what to watch... I may lean toward unwatched TV series, or is that too broad? I know during January, I kept on thinking of series that I could add in and just didn't get to.
"Unwatched TV series" is okay. It narrows the focus enough to be different from the TV Challenge, and it's not a duplication of the "unwatched" thread. Actually naming a few TV shows or seasons would be better, but if you have some reason for keeping it more open it's okay by me.
Old 04-16-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wanna prune my collection and get rid of alot of titles i know im not big on because i got them cheap or heard good things but never got around to watching em.

im gonna be rewatching my entire collection before buying anything new *yeah right so im gonna start this as my own challenge and start it next month.
Old 04-16-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I think a mixture of nature docs and animated tv shows to avoid burnout.
Old 04-16-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Number nine with the diggy. Same as last year, the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.
Old 04-16-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Number nine with the diggy. Same as last year, the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.
How far are you on it? I've got 770 done.
Old 04-16-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Looking forward to my challenge as I've been waiting for a chance to watch my Blue Planet and Planet Earth sets.
Old 04-16-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Impressive!

I've wavering between doing something super easy or making the rules complicated. So, I'll either do a straight forward "I Love the 90s" challenge and just focus on films and television from that decade, or I will somehow incorporate in tvtropes.org. I had an idea of doing a sort of Degrees of Kevin Bacon thing where the films have to be linked by a shared trope. (Ex. After watching Die Hard, I could watch The Incredibles since both share the "Outrun the Fireball" trope.) However, as I am typing this, my trope idea feels too complicated and perhaps too much brainpower.
Old 04-16-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
A pitiful 119. I'd be further along but sometimes you have to take some time away from the arty stuff and watch something enjoyable.
Old 04-16-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I did Latin American and Asian, I think I will do the same this year but maybe I will pick one of the two and go with that. I have a large backlog of both.
Old 04-16-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
"Unwatched TV series" is okay. It narrows the focus enough to be different from the TV Challenge, and it's not a duplication of the "unwatched" thread. Actually naming a few TV shows or seasons would be better, but if you have some reason for keeping it more open it's okay by me.
Hmmm... I'm considering "Movie Serials" again as I've picked up enough to do a full "first viewing" of them but the prospect of watching unwatched TV series is interesting. I'm assuming "unwatched" means "have never seen before" rather than "unopened". At least that's how I'll interpret it should I select that theme. I have a few series for which I've never seen only a single episode (to determine a purchase) and a couple for which I've never seen a episode. Naming them would be no problem and help me keep focus. But then there's that "Bob Hope" theme I've leaned towards a couple of years and I have a few more films he's done to fill the time in better. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by BobO'Link; 04-16-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
A pitiful 119. I'd be further along but sometimes you have to take some time away from the arty stuff and watch something enjoyable.
My excuse for most of them is that I started watching movies at a really early age and I'm in my mid-30s now. Never cared for the arty stuff, so I avoid that stuff as best I can.
Old 04-16-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Hmmm... I'm considering "Movie Serials" again as I've picked up enough to do a full "first viewing" of them but the prospect of watching unwatched TV series is interesting. I'm assuming "unwatched" means "have never seen before" rather than "unopened". At least that's how I'll interpret it should I select that theme. I have a few series for which I've never seen only a single episode (to determine a purchase) and a couple for which I've never seen a episode. Naming them would be no problem and help me keep focus. But then there's that "Bob Hope" theme I've leaned towards a couple of years and I have a few more films he's done to fill the time in better. Decisions, decisions...
Hmm, I don't think I have enough "never seen before" TV that I could watch for a whole month. Most of mine are older shows that I picked up here and there for nostalgia reasons and haven't gotten to them as there was something else that caught my attention. I have 2 seasons of Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Dresden Files, at least 2 seasons of Facts of Life, 1 season of Charles in Charge, a volume of Tiny Toons that is definitely on my list to watch and a bunch more I don't remember off hand. I will look and see if I can narrow it down more...

Hmm, maybe unwatched TV shows from my childhood? 90s and earlier? That would include the majority of them, I think, that I'd want to watch right now. I'll have to think about that.

Is there a checklist at all or do people do one on their own?
Old 04-16-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a checklist at all or do people do one on their own?
You get to do your own.

Since you're doing a TV-related Challenge, maybe you can adapt the TV Challenge checklist to fit your challenge. And since it sounds like you want to make it an actual "challenge," don't forget to set a goal (like 100 shows watched).
Old 04-16-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I was thinking about Canceled TV Shows and Movies With The Wife.
Old 04-16-13, 08:00 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Oh no, I am not ready for this. I have no idea what to pick... the only thing I can think of is "I Love the 80s Movies" or a "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" style challenge.

Last edited by Indy24LA; 04-16-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm gonna do what I always do... Clean off the hard drive challenge... 100gb... But also add in a Dr. Who challenge.
Old 04-17-13, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I've decided I'm going to do a Name Challenge of sorts. Every TV show or film will contain a person's name in the title.
Old 04-17-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to use someones idea from a few years ago and do a 1 Degree of Separation Challenge. Each movie shares a star with the previous movie watched
Old 04-17-13, 02:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I do it, might just go simple and do unwatched DVD pile, failing that something like an objections of my affection one (both films and TV shows starring my favourite actresses out there).
Old 04-17-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atticusfinch
If I do it, might just go simple and do unwatched DVD pile, failing that something like an objections of my affection one (both films and TV shows starring my favourite actresses out there).
It says in 1st post we can do a unwatched pile. i was going to do same thing until I saw this

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.