TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bates Motel -- "Nice Town You Picked, Norma..." -- 3/25/13

Old 03-25-13, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Bates Motel -- "Nice Town You Picked, Norma..." -- 3/25/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

Dylan Bates (Max Theriot) immediately begins causing trouble; the Bates are drawn into the secrets surrounding White Pine Bay.

Episode 2 of 10
Old 03-25-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bates Motel -- "Nice Town You Picked, Norma..." -- 3/25/13

Good second episode. Norman was a bit creepy when he was lying on the floor after the fight scene.
Old 03-26-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by writer106
Good second episode. Norman was a bit creepy when he was lying on the floor after the fight scene.
I agree. He was pretty creepy in that whole scene, especially when he was lying there on the floor. That kid is a great fit for the role, which is a good thing because had they miscast the role this whole thing would've been dead on arrival.

Really enjoyed the first 2 episodes; hope they can keep it up. It's promising for sure.
Old 03-26-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Good 2nd episode. Really enjoyed Highmore's acting as Norman.

I think Norman exemplified some of his future behavior during that fight scene with Dylan.

at Norman and Oxygen tank girl finding the Mexican Pot farm. That was a little out of place in this episode.

Norman is turning into a player. Now he's got 2 girls interested in him.

Okay, so is there some kind of serial killer running around setting people on fire?

Vera Farmiga was solid as Norma. Norma is both hot and creepy at the same time.
Old 03-26-13, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay, so is there some kind of serial killer running around setting people on fire?
I think the deputy said that the town finds a way to exact justice on folks that break the rules. I took it as one of the guys that work for the burned guy in the car, burned one of the guys that did the burning. More of an eye for an eye.

Seems like the whole town is into illegal activities.
Old 03-26-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

2nd episode was ok but definately a step down from the pilot.

Dylan the other brother can not last for the entire season that is for sure.

Just hope they don't focus too much on Normas love life which is kind of boring.
Old 03-26-13, 09:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

My DVR cut off right when Norma looked back at the burning man. Did I miss anything?

Ugh. I hate when shows do this. I'll need to pad this show as well.
Old 03-26-13, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks really interesting, but a bit jumbled. If it was following the timeline of the movies, then this series should be set in the early to mid 50s or thereabouts. What period is this set in ? Also, do we know if this is made on the actual house and motel from the movies ? I know they still exist but were moved from their original location.
Old 03-26-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
This looks really interesting, but a bit jumbled. If it was following the timeline of the movies, then this series should be set in the early to mid 50s or thereabouts. What period is this set in ? Also, do we know if this is made on the actual house and motel from the movies ? I know they still exist but were moved from their original location.
It has nothing to do with the movies. It's a re-imagining of the Psycho story using the characters. It takes place in 2013.

It's shot on location in British Columbia, Canada. The house and motel are newly built sets.
Old 03-26-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
My DVR cut off right when Norma looked back at the burning man. Did I miss anything?

Ugh. I hate when shows do this. I'll need to pad this show as well.
You didn't miss anything. Norma drove by the burning body and it went to black and the credits rolled.
Old 03-26-13, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Did you not notice the use of cell phones?
Old 03-27-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm having a hard time believing a girl with CF and backpacks with oxygen tanks could outrun two healthy men.
Old 03-27-13, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The first two episodes have been okay. I don't get why Norman is attracting so much attention from all the girls in his school, they are throwing themselves at him. I really don't like the constraints a 10-episode season imposes on the plot and pacing, A&E only does that to keep their financial risk down.

I have some guesses as to where the story is going, but some of the loose plotting we've seen in the first two episodes indicate this series cares more about maintaining suspense each episode than a carefully plotted story arc.
Old 03-27-13, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatlander
I think the deputy said that the town finds a way to exact justice on folks that break the rules. I took it as one of the guys that work for the burned guy in the car, burned one of the guys that did the burning. More of an eye for an eye.

Seems like the whole town is into illegal activities.
Yep, that's exactly what he said. And I just realized he was one of the pilots from Pan-Am.

I'm still really liking this series, but the brother is kind of an annoying addition. Hopefully he's not around too long.
Old 03-27-13, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I'm having a hard time believing a girl with CF and backpacks with oxygen tanks could outrun two healthy men.
Who said they were healthy?
Old 03-27-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

I think I missed something...how did Norman and that girl from school get the journal? I saw the part at her store where she's telling him the story but I don't know how it all got brought up.
Old 03-27-13, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan
I think I missed something...how did Norman and that girl from school get the journal? I saw the part at her store where she's telling him the story but I don't know how it all got brought up.
Norman found it in one of the rooms when tearing up carpet and took it to his room. when the girl came over to work on the poem for school, she found it under his bed and asked him about it. then she took it with her to check it out more and texted Norman to come meet her at the shop to discuss it.

Is that what you meant?
Old 03-27-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 871 Likes on 642 Posts

Thanks. So it was the same book he was looking at with a flashlight at the beginning? I didn't see the part where she found it; I was in and out of the room for some of it.
Old 03-27-13, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The first two episodes have been okay. I don't get why Norman is attracting so much attention from all the girls in his school, they are throwing themselves at him. I really don't like the constraints a 10-episode season imposes on the plot and pacing, A&E only does that to keep their financial risk down.

I have some guesses as to where the story is going, but some of the loose plotting we've seen in the first two episodes indicate this series cares more about maintaining suspense each episode than a carefully plotted story arc.
I think so far it seems that only Bradley and Emma are romantically interested in Norman. Bradley's friends seem to like him, but not romantically. I think they are interested in Norman mostly because he is the new fish in town. I kind of like that they aren't doing the usually outcast or bullying storylines right now. I predict Bradley's boyfriend will end up doing something to Norman.
Old 03-27-13, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Traxan
I felt the same way about that scene.
Old 03-27-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 462 Likes on 306 Posts

Hmmm, I may not stick with this show afterall. I liked how low key and atmospheric the first episode was. Very suspenseful, lots of character moments. But with this episode, it looks like the show is going to be more action packed.

I'm also not keen on the idea that everyone in town is involved with some shady dealings, and there is a whole secret community under the surface. What is this? Norman Bates moves to Twin Peaks. Norman and his mother seem a lot less interesting to me if everyone around them is just is sick and twisted.
Old 03-27-13, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I found this second episode to be just as entertaining as the first.

I'm definitely in for the season.

Ratings were steady. i.e. very good for A&E.
Old 03-28-13, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It has nothing to do with the movies. It's a re-imagining of the Psycho story using the characters. It takes place in 2013.

It's shot on location in British Columbia, Canada. The house and motel are newly built sets.
It has nothing to do with the movies? News to me.

I see it as a "floating timeline" thing. Even with the contemporary setting they're still doing a lot to evoke the film. And I guarantee you the series finale isn't gonna be a modern remake.

It certainly contradicts all the ridiculous backstory nonsense in the Psycho sequels but if you can get past the iPhones and the Radiohead (or the early-60's setting of the film if you wanna repurpose it as the finale) I think it'll be a pretty interesting telling of the character's backstory.
Old 03-28-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Did you not notice the use of cell phones?
Or the swiffer or the cars.
Anyway so far so good for me.

I thought Norm was going to clobber his brother with a cast iron pan.
A shovel would have been funny.
Old 03-28-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm also not keen on the idea that everyone in town is involved with some shady dealings, and there is a whole secret community under the surface. What is this? Norman Bates moves to Twin Peaks. Norman and his mother seem a lot less interesting to me if everyone around them is just is sick and twisted.
That is clearly included to flesh out the series' subject matter, if it happens to go on for a few seasons. There is only so much story to tell about Norman and his mother, so they had to set it in the evil version of Twin Peaks to fill episodes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.