View Single Post
Old 03-25-13, 07:40 PM   #18
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: List thread for Fourth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30

Goal: 60
Legend
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- April 18th -
35.)
Cheering Section (1977) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Plenty of sex in this one but like most comedies it did not age well and ends up being more boring than entertaining (that is something that might have been exacerbated due to the poop picture quality). Also another movie specific song, I forgot how common this was, it is a trend that should come back.
(2.5 out of 5)
- April 19th -
36.)
The Revenge Of Trinity (1970) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: As I get deeper and deeper into this spaghetti western thing there are 4 words that seems to be repeated over and over; DJango, Terrence, Bud & Trinity. A cursory google search shows this to be an in name only Trinity movie but it was still decent. I avoided westerns for so long due to it being the only thing my grandfather ever watched and it kind of being categorized as an old person genre for a long time, but there is a great wealth of entertainment here. Even in mediocre titles such as this.
(3 out of 5)
- April 20th -
37.)
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (2013) (TV) (Wild Card #1) *
My Thoughts: There are some shockumentary elements here as Bourdain eats his way across Myanmar, enough maybe even to justify wildcard usage. Quite an interesting look at a place that I thought had zero allowed tourism. There were a lot of things I would really enjoy going and doing if not quite eating in Myanmar. Also why is this on CNN? Are they trying to branch out like MTV did? I hope so if this is a good example of the quality we can expect.
(4 out of 5)
- April 21st -
38.)
Black Belt Jones (1974) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: This was a really good 4 pack; Black Samson, Black Belt Jones, Hot Potato and Three The Hard Way (That is the order I suggest watching them in btw). Also I love how Warner Brothers couldn't bring themselves to say Blaxploitation and had to call it an Urban Action collection. Black Belt Jones plays like your standard Kung-Fu school movie. Threat to the school, headmaster killed, only one man can save us. There are some over the top fun variations on the theme, double crosses and some really weird beach fight/chase seduction sex. If it is a genre you are interested in this is a must see.
(4 out of 5)
39.)
A Man Called Sledge (1970) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: It is so weird seeing James Garner as an anti hero. That and in a surprisingly good heist movie that takes a very weird turn. A surprisingly good movie that kept me guessing. I might have to check out a few more of these Most Wanted Westerns releases.
(4 out of 5)
40.)
Resident Evil: Retribution 3D (2012) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: This one plays the most like a video game out of any from the series and that is not necessarily a good thing. I was partial to parts 3 & 4 and the post apocalyptic setting. This one is a bit too sterile and contained in a still perfectly functioning Umprella base. But it was still an amazing showpiece for my 3DTV.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 22nd -
41.)
Commentary For Resident Evil: Retribution (2012) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Finally! After being absent for the commentaries on the last 2 movies, Milla is back. And she is just as weird and enchanting as ever. She is a bit tempered by having husband, Anderson, in the booth. They need to liquor her up and throw her in there with Rodriguez again. Still better than the average commentary.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 23rd -
42.)
Female Demon Ohyaku (1968) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: Not quite the Pinky Violence outing I was expecting but still quite good. Sometimes I think I should just buy the whole Synapse library, I would most defiantly sign up for it if it were done with a subscription service. This one plays a lot like classic Japanese movies set in the time of Samurai and courtesans but gets progressively more and more exploitative as the the film progresses. High class trash.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Great Japanese movie. Japanese movie is very violent. And I realize japanese like revenge. I can give them 4 star revenge movie, owari.
(4 out of 5)
- April 24th -
43.)
Convoy Buddies (1976) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: By all accounts this wasn't a good movie, it was ridiculous, stupid, often poorly acted/dubbed, the video quality was awful but I loved it. A slapstick 70's comedy about 2 idiot vagabonds who sign up to truck a load from Italy to France. While I admit alcohol might have played a slight roll in my enjoyment here there was also something about this duo of actors that just made this a treat.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 25th -
44.)
Sorry Wrong Bedroom (1973) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Another German sexploitation, there is something abut those German girls and their Oktoberfest outfits. This one is about a German strip club that decides that it's clients want more country girls. Which means girls from Holland I guess? Anyway it turns into a road trip movie and has lots and lots of naked European girls. There is some weird off putting dubbing where girls refer to sex as making whoopee (there is something about that particular piece of 70's vernacular that really doesn't work for me), but it is thankfully infrequent.
(3.5 out of 5)
45.)
The Promotion (2008) (TV) (Wild Card #2) *
My Thoughts: I know this was a comedy but I found it so utterly depressing. This is my life now, I have got to get out of the retail racket. Self introspection aside the movie was exceedingly average but most movies about 9 to 5 jobs are... except 9 To 5 which I quite enjoyed.
(3 out of 5)
46.)
V.I. Warshawski (1991) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Woah, this is the most 90's thing I have seen in quite awhile. Plays like a super cliched 90's tv show with just enough swear words sprinkled throughout for plausible deniability to be categorized as an actual movie while remaining easy to televise with just a little dubbing. It is pretty bad and I think this title will have the dubious distinction of being the first Blu-Ray I get rid of (and I still have VHS tapes). What happened Kathleen Turner?
(2 out of 5)
47.)
Black Shampoo (1976) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Kind of a by the numbers blaxploitation but still fairly entertaining. Liked the sex crazed white girls, in fact lots of nudity all around, and I think one ball slip for the ladies. Evil white guys, but a least they aren't racist, just evil. And a shocking climax that feels almost out of place in what is predominately a comedy. I got my $5 worth of entertainment.
(3.5 out of 5)
48.)
Commentary For Black Shampoo (1976) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Long moments of silence punctuated by so and so actor has passed away. There were a few nuggets here and there but this was mostly a waste of time. What they should have done was edited the phone interviews with the main actor into this commentary. It could have easily been accomplished and have made this a passable track.
(2 out of 5)
49.)
Red Scorpion (1988) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: I never really covered the Russians in africa in any history classes I ever had so I always find movies about that period fascinating and this was no exception. That and we have Dolph just generally being awesome and doing the Avatar/Dances with Wolves thing. I obviously really liked this movie so instead of gushing I will relate a brief aside I had with the wife. There was a scene where the Russians are moving in and attacking this village with flamethrowers and the wife says: "Bad Americans". To which I reply "Those are Russians". She thinks about it for a second and says "All white people the same".
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: He's very hot. It was great movie but it was little too violent and similar story movies are existed. But I like it, (you) need to lose weight. He's so hot. Good movie, thank you.
(4 out of 5)
- April 26th -
50.)
Commentary For Red Scorpion (1988) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Good commentary, excellent moderation. Of course we would have all preferred to have Dolph for the commentary but what can you do? Lots of interesting info about the film and it's success, which is odd considering I have never heard of this film prior to the bluray release.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 27th -
51.)
Diamond Peddlers (1976) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Hey it's the guys from Convoy Buddies! Looking at wikipedia there are several other movies with this duo that I need to track down, they are for some reason so highly enjoyable. There is this song that plays throughout both movies that is so 70's/weird/out of place but is so oddly amusing. As you can see I am struggling to accurately explain what this movie does for me when I could really just say fun goofy Italian slapstick comedy. I don't have nearly enough Italian movies, that is something I should rectify.
(4 out of 5)
- April 28th -
52.)
The Call Him Bulldozer (1978) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: OK I am going to say WTF here on the Spaghetti Western Bible 10 pack, I think the majority of the movies I have watched from this set haven't been westerns at all. This one is about a disgraced former football player who trains a team of neighborhood street rats to play football against some army guys who are harassing him for almost no reason. Had this movie been American I would have had almost zero interest in it at all but as an Italian film pretending to be an American film it holds a certain amount of interest. But otherwise it's just kind of average.
(3 out of 5)
- April 29th -
53.)
Wandering Ginza Butterfly (1971) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: I, like many, became a fan of Meiko Kaji following the release of Kill Bill Vol 1. There was even a point where I had all region 1 releases starring her but I drifted into other things and trailed off. So this is the first Kaji fix I have had in years and I really enjoyed it. Radiant and deadly as ever and it would seem Kill Bill Vol 1. owes quite a bit of it's climax to this movie (perhaps). Also it was fun to see her play the hostess roll which is completely out of character for everything I have ever seen her in. I think I will have to get back into the Meiko Kaji racket.
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It's great movie, sad ending, I did not expect that ending. I saw many famous actors now. Meiko Kaji very pretty but where is she now?
(4 out of 5)
- April 30th -
54.)
Jesse And Lester, Two Brothers In A Place Called Trinity (1972) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Double picture boxes!! Almost, they took the original cut off the sides for full screen, then that print was taken and made widescreen but in a full screen picture (bars added to the top and bottom). The movie content wise as a lot more mediocre than it's plot synopsis would belie. Not tear your eyes out bad or anything but not the bang I was really wanting to go out on for the challenge.
(2.5 out of 5)
Checklist
Spoiler:

10 Free Spots

Watch one film from every decade of film history.
--- 1890 -(Optional)
--- 1900 -(optional)
--- 1910 -(optional)
--- 1920 -(optional)
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
-x- 1960 - In Like Flint (1967)
...............Viva Django (1968)
...............Superargo (1968)
...............Female Demon Ohyaku (1968)
-x- 1970 - Black Samson (1974)
...............Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade (1978)
...............The Grand Duel (1972)
...............Three The Hard Way (1974)
...............Wacky Taxi (1972)
...............Keoma (1976)
...............Lonely Wives (1972)
...............Hot Potato (1976)
...............Blackie The Pirate (1971)
...............Tedeum (1972)
...............King Frat (1979)
...............Cheering Section (1977)
...............The Revenge Of Trinity (1970)
...............Black Belt Jones (1974)
...............A Man Called Sledge (1970)
...............Convoy Buddies (1976)
...............Sorry Wrong Bedroom (1973)
...............Black Shampoo (1976)
...............Commentary For Black Shampoo (1976)
...............Diamond Peddlers (1976)
...............The Call Him Bulldozer (1978)
...............Wandering Ginza Butterfly (1971)
...............Jesse And Lester, Two Brothers In A Place Called Trinity (1972)
-x- 1980 - The Exterminator (1980)
...............Commentary For The Exterminator (1980)
...............Ninja Power Force (1988)
...............Ninja Phantom Heroes (1987)
...............Golden Ninja Invasion (1987)
...............Famous T & A (1982)
...............Video Violence 2 (1987)
...............Vigilante (1983)
...............Savage Island (1985)
...............Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except (1987)
...............Commentary For Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except (1987)
...............Riot On 42nd St (1987)
...............Bad Girls Dormitory
...............Red Scorpion (1988)
...............Commentary For Red Scorpion (1988)
-x- 1990 - Shadow Zone (1990)
...............V.I. Warshawski (1991)
-x- 2000 - Killjoy (2000)
...............The Marine (2006)
...............Killjoy 2 (2002)
...............42nd Street Forever Vol 5: Alamo Drafthouse (2009)
...............The World Sinks Except Japan (2006)
...............The Promotion (2008)
-x- 2010 - Killjoy 3 (2010)
...............Screaming In High Heels (2011)
...............Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown (2013)
...............Resident Evil: Retribution 3D (2012)
...............Commentary For Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)

Watch a film for each rating:
-x- G - Wacky Taxi
..........Superargo
-x- PG - Hot Potato
............Tedeum
............Convoy Buddies
-x- PG-13 - The Marine
-x- R - Black Samson
..........Shadow Zone
..........Killjoy
..........The Exterminator
..........Commentary For The Exterminator
..........Killjoy 2
..........Ninja Phantom Heroes
..........The Grand Duel
..........Killjoy 3
..........Three The Hard Way
..........Vigilante
..........Savage Island
..........King Frat
..........Cheering Section
..........Black Belt Jones
..........A Man Called Sledge
..........Resident Evil: Retribution 3D
..........Commentary For Resident Evil: Retribution
..........The Promotion
..........V.I. Warshawski
..........Black Shampoo
..........Commentary For Black Shampoo
..........Red Scorpion
..........Commentary For Red Scorpion
--- X (or NC-17) -
-x- Unrated (post-MPAA 1968) - Ninja Power Force
............................................42nd Street Forever Vol 5: Alamo Drafthouse
............................................Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade
............................................Screaming In High Heels
............................................Golden Ninja Invasion
............................................The World Sinks Except Japan
............................................Famous T & A
............................................Video Violence 2
............................................Keoma
............................................In Like Flint
............................................Lonely Wives
............................................Viva Django
............................................Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except
............................................Commentary For Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except
............................................Blackie The Pirate
............................................Riot On 42nd St
............................................Bad Girls Dormitory
............................................The Revenge Of Trinity
............................................Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
............................................Female Demon Ohyaku
............................................Sorry Wrong Bedroom
............................................Diamond Peddlers
............................................The Call Him Bulldozer
............................................Wandering Ginza Butterfly
............................................Jesse And Lester, Two Brothers In A Place Called Trinity

Watch films in at least three formats (DVD, BD, HD DVD, Laserdisc, TV, online, Streaming Netflix type, UMD, theater, iPod, VHS-sourced{VHS transferred to DVD-+R is fine}).
-x- First format, (DVD), (Black Samson)
.................................(Shadow Zone)
.................................(Killjoy)
.................................(Killjoy 2)
.................................(Ninja Power Force)
.................................(42nd Street Forever Vol 5: Alamo Drafthouse)
.................................(Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade)
.................................(Ninja Phantom Heroes)
.................................(Killjoy 3)
.................................(Three The Hard Way)
.................................(Screaming In High Heels)
.................................(Golden Ninja Invasion)
.................................(The World Sinks Except Japan)
.................................(Famous T & A)
.................................(Video Violence 2)
.................................(Wacky Taxi)
.................................(In Like Flint)
.................................(Lonely Wives)
.................................(Viva Django)
.................................(Hot Potato)
.................................(Savage Island)
.................................(Superargo)
.................................(Blackie The Pirate)
.................................(Riot On 42nd St)
.................................(Bad Girls Dormitory)
.................................(Tedeum)
.................................(King Frat)
.................................(Cheering Section)
.................................(The Revenge Of Trinity)
.................................(Black Belt Jones)
.................................(A Man Called Sledge)
.................................(Female Demon Ohyaku)
.................................(Convoy Buddies)
.................................(Sorry Wrong Bedroom)
.................................(Black Shampoo)
.................................(Commentary For Black Shampoo)
.................................(Diamond Peddlers)
.................................(The Call Him Bulldozer)
.................................(Wandering Ginza Butterfly)
.................................(Jesse And Lester, Two Brothers In A Place Called Trinity)
-x- Second format, (TV), (The Marine).
...................................(Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown)
...................................(The Promotion)
-x- Third format, (Blu-Ray), (The Exterminator).
.......................................(Commentary For The Exterminator)
.......................................(The Grand Duel)
.......................................(Keoma)
.......................................(Vigilante)
.......................................(Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except)
.......................................(Commentary For Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except)
.......................................(Resident Evil: Retribution 3D)
.......................................(Commentary For Resident Evil: Retribution)
.......................................(V.I. Warshawski)
.......................................(Red Scorpion)
.......................................(Commentary For Red Scorpion)

--- Watch a film in an actual Drive-in. (optional) (insert title)

Watch a film in the following genres:
-x- A Token Science Fiction B-Movie: Shadow Zone
...................................................The World Sinks Except Japan
...................................................Superargo
-x- A Token Horror B-Movie: Killjoy
........................................Killjoy 2
........................................Killjoy 3
........................................Video Violence 2
........................................Resident Evil: Retribution 3D
........................................Commentary For Resident Evil: Retribution

Italian (or European) films of the following Genres:
--- Eurospy (James Bond ripoffs)
--- Giallo
--- Sword & Sandal
-x- Spaghetti Western - The Grand Duel
.................................Keoma
.................................Viva Django
.................................Tedeum
.................................The Revenge Of Trinity
.................................Jesse And Lester, Two Brothers In A Place Called Trinity
--- Cannibal Film
-x- Mafia/Gangster Film - Black Belt Jones
...................................Convoy Buddies
...................................Wandering Ginza Butterfly

Martial Arts film:
--- Bruce Lee-sploitation (Starring any variation on Bruce Li, Le, etc.)
-x- Hong Kong (or other Asian) film - Ninja Power Force
...................................................Ninja Phantom Heroes
...................................................Golden Ninja Invasion
-x- American film - Black Belt Jones
-x- Any "Ninja" film - Ninja Power Force
..............................Ninja Phantom Heroes
..............................Golden Ninja Invasion
--- Bonus* Actual Bruce Lee film

--- Biker Film
--- Stoner Film
-x- Carsploitation Film - Wacky Taxi
.................................Convoy Buddies
-x- Blaxploitation - Black Samson
...........................Three The Hard Way
...........................Hot Potato
...........................Black Belt Jones
...........................Black Shampoo
...........................Commentary For Black Shampoo

Sexploitation:
-x- Any type - Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade
....................Lonley Wives
....................Sorry Wrong Bedroom
--- Nudie Cutie
--- Roughie
--- 70s Porn
-x- Emmanuelle Film - Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade
-x- Teen Sex Comedy - Cheering Section

--- Nunsploitation
-x- Shocksploitation - Video Violence 2
--- Rape/Revenge Film
-x- Vigilante Film - The Exterminator
...........................Commentary For The Exterminator
...........................Vigilante
-x- Women in Prison - Savage Island
...............................Bad Girls Dormitory
...............................Wandering Ginza Butterfly
--- Nazisploitation
--- Eschploitation (religious end times, or general religious exploitation)
-x- Hixploitation/Moonshiners - The Marine
--- Roadshow Exploitation/30s-40s "Cautionary" films
-x- "Hood" Film ("Gangsta") - Killjoy
.........................................Killjoy 2
--- Hollywood Gangster film (Film Noir era)
--- Juvenile Delinquent Film
--- 60s Beach Movie
--- Film starring Musical Group or Music Star (that did not become a legit actor)
--- *Bonus* Elvis film
--- Ozploitation
-x- Mexican Wrestling Film - Superargo
--- Foreign "Ripoff" film (such as Turkish cinema)
--- Eco-Terror Film
--- "Mondo" Film
-x- Documentary ABOUT B-Movies/Exploitation/Drive-ins - Screaming In High Heels
--- Video Nasty
--- TV-Movie
--- *Bonus* Lifetime Channel Movie
--- Bad Sequel to a "Well regarded film"
--- DirectToVideo sequel
--- Critical Bomb (Less than 20% Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic or IMDB
-x- Bottom 100 IMDB {Bottom 100 archive} - Killjoy
--- Financial Bomb
--- MST3K/RiffTrax (or Cinematic Titanic) version of a film
--- Non-MST3K version of a film featured on MST3K (or CT)

Watch 10 films starring anyone from the actors safe list.
-x- 1). William Smith in Black Samson
-x- 2). Laura Gemser in Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade
-x- 3). Lee Van Cleef in The Grand Duel
-x- 4). Fred Williamson in Three The Hard Way
....................................Vigilante
-x- 5). Brinke Stevens in Screaming In High Heels
-x- 6). Linnea Quigley in Screaming In High Heels
-x- 7). Bruce Campbell in Commentary For Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except
-x- 8). Jack Palance in Tedeum
-x- 9). Dolph Lundgren in Red Scorpion
...................................Commentary For Red Scorpion
-x- 10). Richard Harrison in Jesse And Lester, Two Brothers In A Place Called Trinity

Watch 10 films Directed/Produced by anyone from the directors/producers safe list.
-x- 1). Shadowzone (Charles Band)
..........Killjoy
..........Killjoy 2
..........Killjoy 3
..........Famous T & A
..........Savage Island
-x- 2). Vigilante (William Lustig)
-x- 3). Tedeum (Enzo G. Castellari)
-x- 4). Black Shampoo (Greydon Clark)
--- 5).
--- 6).
--- 7).
--- 8).
--- 9).
--- 10).

Watch 5 films from those in the Studio/Distributor safe list.
-x- 1). Shadowzone (Full Moon Pictures)
..........Killjoy
..........Killjoy 2
..........Killjoy 3
..........Famous T & A
..........Savage Island
-x- 2). The Exterminator (Synapse)
..........Commentary For The Exterminator
..........42nd Street Forever Vol 5: Alamo Drafthouse
..........Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except
..........Commentary For Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except
..........Female Demon Ohyaku
..........Red Scorpion
..........Commentary For Red Scorpion
..........Wandering Ginza Butterfly
-x- 3). Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade (Severin Films)
-x- 4). The Grand Duel (Mill Creek Entertainment)
-x- 5). Wacky Taxi (Code Red)
..........Lonley Wives
..........Superargo
..........Riot On 42nd St
..........Bad Girls Dormitory
..........King Frat
..........Cheering Section
..........Sorry Wrong Bedroom
-x- 6). Vigilante (Blue Underground)
-x- 7). Black Shampoo (VCI)

Awards
Spoiler:
*Wild Cards Omitted From Awards

Best Title Watched:
Screaming In High Heels
Runner Up:
Vigilante

Wife’s Best Title Watched:
Red Scorpion
Runner Up:
Female Demon Ohyaku

Worst Title Watched (Soon to be known as the obligatory Full Moon award):
Killjoy

Wife’s Worst Title Watched:
Video Violence 2

Best Spagetti Western:
The Grand Duel

Worst DVD Menu:
Code Red & their Septic Cinema menus for their Exploitation Cinema 2 Packs

Best Use Of Beach Girls:
Putting them to work to help steal money from the mob in Black Belt Jones

Me And My Wife Completely Agree On:
Emanuelle And The White Slave Trade (3)
Female Demon Ohyaku (4)

WTF Award (Honorary Alejandro Jodorowsky award)
Golden Ninja Invasion
Runner Up:
The World Sinks Except Japan
Additional Statistics
Spoiler:
Number of 1st time viewings:
53 out of 54 (98%)

Number of titles watched with wife:
7 out of 54 (13%)

Most Watched From Decade:
1. 1970 - 23 out of 54 (43%)
2. 1980 - 15 out of 54 (28%)
3. 2000 - 6 out of 54 (11%)

Most Watched By Rating:
1. Unrated (Pre & Post MPAA) - 25 out of 54 (46%)
2. R - 24 out of 54 (44%)
3. PG - 3 out of 54 (5%)

Most Watched By Format
1.) DVD - 40 out of 54 (74%)
2.) Blu-Ray – 12 out of 54 (22%)
3.) Internet - 3 out of 54 (5%)

Highest Rated Viewings:
(4.5 out of 5 or better)
The Exterminator (4.5)
Screaming In High Heels (5)
Vigilante (5)
Red Scorpion (4.5)
Wandering Ginza Butterfly (4.5)

Wife's Highest Rated Of The Challenge:
(4 out of 5 or better)
Female Demon Ohyaku (4)
Red Scorpion (4)
Wandering Ginza Butterfly (4)

My Lowest Rated Titles Of The Challenge:
(1.5 out of 5 or lower (1 being the lowest possible score))
Killjoy (1)
Video Violence 2 (1.5)

My Wife's Lowest Rated Titles Of The Challenge:
(2.5 out of 5 or lower (1 being the lowest possible score))
Video Violence 2 (2)

Last edited by SterlingBen; 05-06-13 at 01:34 AM.