Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

ALANIS MORISSETTE: "Havoc and Bright Lights" -8/28/12

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-05-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

Alanis Morissette Brings 'Havoc,' Her 7th Album, in August

Alanis Morissette's next album will be her first release outside of Warner Music Group as Collective Sounds issues "Havoc and Bright Lights" on Aug. 28.

It's her seventh studio album and first release in four years. Guy Sigsworth, who has worked with Morissette, Madonna and Britney Spears, and Joe Chiccarelli, who engineered recordings for Frank Zappa, the Shins and Grace Potter, produced. The first single, "Guardian," will be available on iTunes on May 15, four days after it is shipped to radio.

Morissette is managed by the Collective, which started a label last year with former Warner Bros. executive Tom "Grover" Biery at the helm. Sony's RED distributes Collective Sounds.

"This record, as always, is a snapshot of what I currently obsess about, care about, and what strikes me at 4 in the morning in my most introspective moments," Morissette said in a statement. "It is my emotional, psychological, social and philosophical commentary through song."

Track listing for "Havoc and Bright Lights":

"Guardian"
"Woman Down"
"'Til You
"Celebrity"
"Empathy"
"Lens"
"Spiral"
"Numb"
"Havoc"
"Win and Win"
"Receive"
"Edge of Evolution"

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/alan...06936752.story
Old 05-07-12, 08:43 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: ALANIS MORISSETTE: "Havoc and Bright Lights" -8/28/12

Nice.. Looking forward to this.
Old 05-07-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Huge huge fan of A.M. Personally, I thought each album was better than the last. Really looking forward to this.
Old 05-07-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Agreed. Anxious to hear this.
Old 05-08-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Huge huge fan of A.M. Personally, I thought each album was better than the last. Really looking forward to this.
I've always liked her. When she really nails a ballad......it's pretty much a classic on repeat to me.

Haunting yet beautiful vocals all at the same time.
Old 05-11-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/doN_hn-TcbI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/doN_hn-TcbI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Old 05-13-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really love her voice, but the first single is disappointing. It sounds like a reworking of many of her others songs but not as good and with ridiculous lyrics.
Old 05-13-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Not bad. One of those grow on you songs I believe. However, most of her recent cds for me have been one or two good songs and lots of filler. I don't expect another Jagged Little Pill with every song good top to bottom. Just don't give me an album of 12 songs with one keeper. It just encourages a brief iTunes visit and then I move on.
Old 05-14-12, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Barth
Not bad. One of those grow on you songs I believe. However, most of her recent cds for me have been one or two good songs and lots of filler. I don't expect another Jagged Little Pill with every song good top to bottom. Just don't give me an album of 12 songs with one keeper. It just encourages a brief iTunes visit and then I move on.
It's REALLY growing on me and my opinion of it has totally reversed in just a few days. Alanis songs tend to do that. My first reaction was that she had already done this song and done it better and I kind of wanted something that showed some growth or change. But I won't judge the rest of the record by the first single, even if I'm liking it now.

Alanis does filler better than most, but I'm also hoping we get a stronger album and not everything else that is mostly like the first single or other things she's already done.
Old 05-16-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
It's REALLY growing on me and my opinion of it has totally reversed in just a few days. Alanis songs tend to do that. My first reaction was that she had already done this song and done it better and I kind of wanted something that showed some growth or change. But I won't judge the rest of the record by the first single, even if I'm liking it now.

Alanis does filler better than most, but I'm also hoping we get a stronger album and not everything else that is mostly like the first single or other things she's already done.
Took the words out of my mouth. While her last few albums have been light on singles, ALL of the songs are extremely listenable and I don't think any as fillers. I listen from start to finish, never skipping ahead.
Old 05-17-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Glad she left the evil empire Warner Bros.

I think she has done some of her best work the last 2 albums.

So what if billboard does not give her any love and she is better than Kesha, Nicki Minaj, and the other female artists who are so popular now.
Old 10-08-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Solid album. My favorites are Celebrity, Woman Down and Numb.
Old 10-17-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jagged Little Pill is being reissued on vinyl next month. Great considering that record has been fetching over $100 on ebay for some time.

I consider Havoc And Bright Lights a bit of a comedown from the greatness of Flavors Of Entanglement but there's still some really strong tracks here like Havoc, Numb and Celebrity.
Old 10-17-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

She has co-written some her husband's album http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/...07982562.story
Old 10-18-12, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Couldn't get into this. I understand it's what she currently obsesses about, but unfortunately right now that seems like it's parenthood, and I really don't care to listen to songs about protecting her child, etc.

Kind of reminds me of how Seal got neutered when he got with Heidi Klum.
Old 03-05-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'Alanis Morissette: Live At Montreux 2012' Blu-ray Announced

The Canadian singer's 2012 performance from the jazz festival is coming to Blu-ray in April.
In an early announcement to retailers, Eagle Rock Entertainment is prepping 'Alanis Morissette: Live At Montreux 2012' for a high-definition release on April 23.

'Live At Montreux 2012' is Morissette’s first live release in 10 years. Filmed in high definition on July 2, 2012, this set features a blend of songs from her most recent album, Havoc And Bright Lights a bevy of her beloved hits: “Ironic,” “Hand In My Pocket,” “You Learn” and “Thank U,” as well as the revolutionary kiss-off “You Oughta Know.” This stop on the Guardian Angel tour (in support of Havoc) was Alanis’ third appearance at the famed Montreux Jazz Festival.

Of course, the sheer poetry and emotional spirit of Alanis Morissette’s music is what’s truly on display here. The genuine, honest soul-baring nature of her songs, carried by her instantly recognizable and absolutely unique vocal style is on evident on 'Live At Montreux.' Alanis is one of the most successful female artists and songwriters of all time, having sold in excess of 60 million albums worldwide. It is plain to see why she has achieved such accolades when you witness a performance like this set at Montreux.
'Alanis Morissette: Live At Montreux 2012' features the following line-up: Julian Coryell (guitar); Michael Farrell (keyboards); Jason Orme (guitar); Cedric Lemoyne (bass); Victor Indrizzo (drums).

TRACK LISTING

1) I Remain
2) Woman Down
3) All I Really Want
4) You Learn
5) Guardian
6) Flinch
7) Forgiven*
8) Hands Clean
9) I Remain*
10) Citizen Of The Planet*
11) Ironic
12) Havoc
13) Head Over Feet
14) Versions Of Violence
15) I Remain*
16) You Oughta Know
17) Numb
18) Hand In My Pocket
19) Uninvited*
20) Thank U

*Not on CD format
Specs and supplements have yet to be revealed, but suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $19.98.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...nnounced/11231
Old 03-06-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice I still love her first concert dvd. It's so great. Hope this is just as great.
Old 03-15-13, 08:43 PM

I was disappointed by the last album but saw her on the tour and it was a great show. Will definitely pick up the blu-ray