Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

It's a New Sheepy Year (Sheep Game)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a New Sheepy Year (Sheep Game)

It has been a while since the last one and I think it is time for another game of Sheep.

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unless specifically mentioned in the question, all games include console games, handheld games, PC games,
    XBLA/PSN/VC/WiiWare, iOS/Android games and arcade games released officially in the United States. For games released "this generation", XBLA/PSN remakes do not count and any VC game does not count. XBLA/PSN originals, even ones based on previously released games (i.e. Pacman CE) do count.
  • Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. You are allowed to use up to all 5 of your {sd}s on any given question.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

I will take no more than 25 participants not including myself (though will make special dispensations for anyone who has run a Sheep game in the past) not and plan on starting some time early next week (Tracer Style).

Now on to the questions.

The Questions

1. S: What is the best iOS or Android game?
  2. R: Name a game released in the US for the DS (not 3DS) with the word "Mario" in the title.
  3. S: What was the best game released on a handheld or home console in 2012?
  4. S: What is the best movie that is based on a video game?
  5. R: Name a Final Fantasy game that was released in the US without an X or II in the last decade.
  6. R: Name a US launch title the Playstation vita (released within 2 weeks of vita's release; psn titles okay).
  7. S: What is the best movie licensed game of all time?
  8. S: Name a karaoke game released on the Xbox 360.
  9. R: Name a Guitar Hero game or expansion released on a home console or handheld. (Track Packs do not count, nor do mobile phone games).
  10. S: Name a game with the word Super in the title.
  11. R: Name a retail Kinect dancing game.
  12. S: Name a "metroid clone"
  13. R: Name an instrument that can be played in Rock Band 3.
  14. S: The best home console is________
  15. R: Name a first party PS3 controlor color (only solid color controlers count).
  16. R: Name a game with Katamari in the title.
  17. S: The best character in Boarderlands 2 is_______
  18. R: In what year did you buy a Xbox 360? (any years prior to release or in the future will be counted as wrong)
  19. S: Name the best Kart Racer without the word Mario in the title.
  20. R: Lego games are extreamly poplular. Name one that has been released on the 360, but not the original Xbox or PS2 (Note that 360 games which combine all the levels of 2 xbox games are wrong).

New:

The winner will receive 2 movie ticket codes to see a Warner Brothers movie (expires 2/12/13).

Last edited by orangecrush; 01-02-13 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: It's a New Sheepy Year (Sheep Game)

A new sheep game! I always enjoyed those but didn't play all that many. How are you taking participants--by PM only then you'll announce when it's full?
Old 12-31-12, 02:58 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Sweet! Thanks for running this, orangecrush! You are awesome! You'll have my answers shortly.
Old 12-31-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently read through my sheep responses and games through my Google Docs. I wept. Now I celebrate!
Old 12-31-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
A new sheep game! I always enjoyed those but didn't play all that many. How are you taking participants--by PM only then you'll announce when it's full?
Yeah, PM me and I'll announce in here if we are getting close to full. Remember your {sd}
Old 12-31-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Question about #5. I'm not a FF guy but since FF uses roman numerals wouldn't that cover every game in the series released since 8?
Old 12-31-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Question about #5. I'm not a FF guy but since FF uses roman numerals wouldn't that cover every game in the series released since 8?
There are a lot of correct answers to that question.
Old 12-31-12, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Cool. thanks for doing this. Answers submitted.
Old 12-31-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have 4 entrants thus far.
Old 12-31-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Answers submitted ... been a long time since we've played Sheep ... thanks for hosting!
Old 12-31-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

5 entrants. Some wrong answers already on R questions. Remember to be specific in your answers to game titles.
Old 12-31-12, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
5 entrants. Some wrong answers already on R questions.
I don't care what you say. My copy of Rock Band 3 came with a sousaphone.
Old 12-31-12, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I sent my answers but it goes to show how quickly we forget. I was planning to google a bunch of these because I don't play handhelds other than iOS and don't play a lot of console games either--a winning combination!
Old 12-31-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I sent my answers but it goes to show how quickly we forget. I was planning to google a bunch of these because I don't play handhelds other than iOS and don't play a lot of console games either--a winning combination!
No Googles!
Old 12-31-12, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome! I'll send answers tomorrow.
Old 12-31-12, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This was a blast last time, I'll have mine in tomorrow as well.
Old 01-01-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

No Googles!
Unless noted otherwise "use only what's in your head" as Sheepmaster Emeritus Bus would say.
Old 01-01-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Answers sent...Had to use some major Googlepower brainpower on this one!
Old 01-01-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No Googles!
My crappy answers should prove that I didn't google
Old 01-01-13, 10:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm in, and I didn't Google one answer.

Spoiler:

I really miss these, but not enough to put one together myself. Thanks to orangecrush for putting this together.
Old 01-01-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm in, and I didn't Google one answer.
So you googled the other 19?
Old 01-01-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine in. Pretty sure I bombed at least two answers, as I don't know what a Metroid clone is and I haven't played a Final Fantasy game in years (or payed attention to them).
Old 01-01-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

My metroid clone answer is wrong, I think, because the more I thought about it, the game that I picked, it might've come before Metroid.

Edit: Ok, I just googled it. It didn't. Phew. My gaming memory was horrible for stuff in the 80's. Thank god my job managing at a game store saved my bacon quite a few times in this.
Old 01-01-13, 11:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Metroid clone is a sheep question so you don't have to be right, just popular!
Old 01-01-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Even still, I don't think mine will be a popular answer. I mean, it could be, but it's such an old and random game. Oh well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.