Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 10-30-12, 04:47 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
The Roku Thread

This is an all-in-one thread for Roku-related stuff.

To start it off, here's info on the new Roku Search feature. I just tried it out and it works pretty well. I hate typing with the remote. But I can use the iPad app for that.

Roku Search makes it a snap to find movies, TV shows, actors and directors across Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, Crackle, VUDU and HBO GO. When you search for a title, Roku Search shows you where it’s available on the Roku platform. Simply select a channel and Roku Search will take you straight to your desired movie or show. Check out the video below to see Roku Search in action.

Roku Search works with Roku 2, Roku LT, new Roku HD players and the Roku Streaming Stick. You can even search with the keyboard in the Remote tab of the Roku iOS and Android mobile apps!

We’ll automatically push a free update including Search to supported players over the next week. If you just can’t wait, select Settings > Software update > Check now on your Roku player to update your software to version 4.8 352x (available later today). Then click here to install Roku Search via channel code.

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/10/29/roku-search/
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pfx_TLlQyxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-30-12, 05:00 PM

Re: The Roku Thread

Here's another new feature. You can now browse/add channels from the Roku website.

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!browse/most-watched

Old 10-30-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

It would be nice if they would have the feature to automatically go to the next episode with Netflix. Hell, I'd be happy if it would allow me to choose the next episode without having to back all the way out to the main menu.

I used to really dig the Roku, but it's been causing enough problems that I've been using my PS3 almost exclusively.
Old 11-01-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my Roku. This new feature is definitely something I'm interesting in playing around with. I'll have to check my player later.
Old 11-01-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I basically only use my Roku at this point. I actually find myself using the Android app freqeuntly to control it as well.

One thing in particular I like and wish they could implement more broadly is streaming from your phone via the app. I'd like to see an AirPlay-style streamer. I'm sure they're working on it.
Old 11-01-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you can stream photos and music. Hopefully they get video sorted out soon, then that would be something.

I played around with the search function a bit. Verdict: it's pretty damn awesome. Great UI, simple, precise.
Old 11-01-12, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plex via Roku is awesome. We ripped all my daughter's DVDs to a network HD and it's a huge time saver (and a really slick interface.)

I wish the Search feature could be extended to some other channels (EPIX, Popcornflix, even your local Plex storage.)

I do wonder if after the recent Vudu add if they've now pretty much exhausted the app/content space. Seems like everything that comes out now is either super-niche, religious, or the same old public domain content in a new package.
Old 11-16-12, 01:22 PM

Roku sent out an email hyping a Black Friday deal. They claim it's their "best deal of the year", and it'll have free shipping. It'll go live on Wednesday night. So if you're thinking about getting a Roku, it might be worth waiting for the sale.
Old 11-16-12, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was planning to buy 2 for family for Xmas gifts, so I'll be keeping an eye on that sale. I hope it beats BB's price of $59 for an XD.
Old 11-17-12, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Same, but I still plan on hitting Best Buy for the $40 Harmony remote since the screen on my existing one just died out of warranty.

EDIT: May just go to Radio Shack for the $30 one instead.

Last edited by printerati; 11-17-12 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-21-12, 11:04 PM

The Black Friday deal just went live. It's 25% Off with Free Shipping.

Roku HD - $44.99
Roku 2 XD - $59.99
Roku 2 XS - $74.99

http://www.facebook.com/roku/
Old 11-22-12, 02:28 PM

Save $20 on Select Roku Streaming Players and Get a $5 Amazon Instant Video Promotional Credit

For a limited time only, save $20 on select Roku streaming players and get a $5 Amazon Instant Video promotional credit with the Roku LT, Roku HD, Roku XD, and Roku XS. $20 savings valid until 11/26/2012 at 11:59 PM PST.

Roku HD - $39.99
Roku 2 XD - $59.99
Roku 2 XS - $79.99
Old 11-24-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course Amazon would offer a little extra incentive after I already bought 2 XDs off Roku's site. Oh well, I don't mind supporting them directly.

On another note, I just discovered how awesome PLEX is.
Old 11-26-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Have any of you tried hooking a hard drive up to a Roku 2 XS. I bought one for someone and I know they'll want to do this. Does it require a special type of hard drive, or will just about any drive work?
Old 11-26-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Ordered the XS on Saturday! $79 seemed like a steal...
Old 11-26-12, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nick1091
Plex via Roku is awesome. We ripped all my daughter's DVDs to a network HD and it's a huge time saver (and a really slick interface.)
Interesting.
What are the specs on the network HD are you are using?
Old 11-26-12, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by John Slider
Have any of you tried hooking a hard drive up to a Roku 2 XS. I bought one for someone and I know they'll want to do this. Does it require a special type of hard drive, or will just about any drive work?
I've heard you need to use either a USB flash drive, or an external drive that uses an AC cord. I think the small portable drives don't get enough power through the USB connection.

I've tried a USB flash drive and the drive itself worked fine. I had more of a problem with the codec support on the Roku. It didn't like some of my files.

If you want to watch video files off a hard drive, your better option is using PLEX. It allows you to stream videos from your PC/Mac hard drives to the Roku through the home network. It's very easy to set-up and use. I posted some more info about it here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ur-pc-mac.html
Old 11-26-12, 05:43 PM

Thanks, BigDave. That's a lot of help.
Old 11-30-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

ive used both plex and xbmc on my atv2, and definitely prefer xbmc
its not a deal breaker for me though
i actually share the files out on my computer with tversity, and then connect from my atv2 with xbmc
with a roku and plex, would i be able to easily connect back to my tversity share?

i havent put much time into looking at roku yet.. which model(s) would you recommend?
Old 11-30-12, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
i havent put much time into looking at roku yet.. which model(s) would you recommend?
I recommend the Roku 2XS which is the top of the line model. It's only $20 more than the other 1080p model.

2XS is the only one with an ethernet port, and I prefer a wired connection. It's also the only one with a USB port. But the USB's abilities are fairly limited, and I haven't used it. The other features (motion control, games, memory expansion) are worthless. For me, that ethernet port is worth $20.

Here's a comparison of the various Roku models:

http://www.roku.com/roku-products
Old 11-30-12, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

and they all do a relatively equal job of streaming content from a pc/mac? how is their format compatibity?
Old 12-01-12, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by twikoff
and they all do a relatively equal job of streaming content from a pc/mac? how is their format compatibity?
To stream from a PC/Mac, you have to use a 3rd party app like Plex. I think there are a couple others that are compatible with Roku, but Plex is the most popular. It's similar to how AppleTV works with iTunes.

http://www.plexapp.com/

Plex works on all the Roku models. I don't think there's any quality difference. But I don't use it much. You might be able to get better info on Plex's Roku forum:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...aming-players/

I use a Boxee for local streaming. It does that stuff better than any other box.
Old 12-01-12, 09:45 AM

BigDave, can you stream from websites using Plex?
Old 12-01-12, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by John Slider
BigDave, can you stream from websites using Plex?
I think you can do some stuff like that using Plex Channels. You have to use a plug-in for each website. You can find more info here:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...plex-channels/

I don't use that stuff, because the quality almost always sucks. Usually these website streams are low quality and you get buffering problems.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-01-12 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-01-12, 11:00 AM

That's what I figured. Still disappointing to hear. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.