Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
10.68%
35.92%
32.04%
10.68%
3.88%
0.97%
2.91%
0%
0%
0.97%
0%
I’d rather have IT lopped off than watch this!
1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-12, 01:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Looper" (Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano, Jeff Daniels, Piper Perabo, Noah Segan)

Release Date:
9/28/2012

Rating:
R (for strong violence, language, some sexuality/nudity (you see a girl’s rear for a bit, and some ittie bittie titties) and drug content throughout)

Running Time:
118min. (1h. 58m.)

Budget:
$50 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
In 2072, when the mob wants to get rid of someone, the target is sent 30 years into the past, where a hired gun awaits. Someone like Joe, who one day learns the mob wants to 'close the loop' by transporting back Joe's future self.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.5 (6,372 votes as of 9/29/12)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:168 Rotten:13 (93% as of 9/29/12)

Metacritic:
84 metascore ('Universal acclaim reviews' as of 9/29/12)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="347"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/58908"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/58908" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="347"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
Old 09-25-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Looper (Johnson, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Paul Dano is in this? huh. I didn't notice him in any of the trailers I've seen.
Old 09-25-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Paul Dano is in this? huh. I didn't notice him in any of the trailers I've seen.
He appears in the trailers but very briefly. I think he appears even less than the blink-and-you'll-miss-it footage of Piper Perabo in the trailers.
Old 09-25-12, 03:04 PM

thank you!
Old 09-27-12, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caught a screening of Looper tonight in the Bay Area, was excited to check it out after reading the interesting premise and seeing the well put together trailer. Plus I'm a fan of sci fi and I thought Rian Johnson's Brick was great (Brothers Bloom underwhelmed me).

It was a great movie. The advertising for this movie was perfect, I won't be giving anything away, but everyone does a fantastic job and the movie has more going on than I anticipated. It takes it's time to build up the story and characters before really rolling into gear, but once it does it had me completely hooked and I was super interested to see what would happen next.

No, the makeup on Joseph Gordon Levitt does not detract from the movie or his performance.

I'd say ***1/2 out of ****, I look forward to seeing it again. I'm in for whatever Rian Johnson has coming next too
Old 09-27-12, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sharkstank
Caught a screening of Looper tonight in the Bay Area, was excited to check it out after reading the interesting premise and seeing the well put together trailer. Plus I'm a fan of sci fi and I thought Rian Johnson's Brick was great (Brothers Bloom underwhelmed me).

It was a great movie. The advertising for this movie was perfect, I won't be giving anything away, but everyone does a fantastic job and the movie has more going on than I anticipated. It takes it's time to build up the story and characters before really rolling into gear, but once it does it had me completely hooked and I was super interested to see what would happen next.

No, the makeup on Joseph Gordon Levitt does not detract from the movie or his performance.

I'd say ***1/2 out of ****, I look forward to seeing it again. I'm in for whatever Rian Johnson has coming next too
nice review. don't forget to vote.
Old 09-27-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it last night for free through Gofobo.

It was completely different from what I was expecting, much more complex and layered. Not predictable (at least for me). Terrific performances all around. I'm not sure I got everything and I'm looking forward to repeat viewings to further sort it out. Not that it's all about the mechanics of time travel and the paradoxes etc. It's about much more than that and the time travel, while clearly the framework of the film, becomes almost secondary.

Masterful filmmaking. I voted ****1/2.

Edit: This has nothing to do with the film but the theater was full (comes with "free") and some were turned away. (With Gofobo, they tell you the passes will be overbooked and some may not get in.) When we went into the theater, it was going very slowly. I was perplexed. When we got closer I saw they were "wanding" everybody and looking inside women's purses. They said it was because of the incident in Colorado and also to prevent video piracy. When we got in they announced that they were told to collect cell phones (which I don't believe - what a nightmare) but they weren't doing that but if anyone turned one on during the movie they would be thrown out.

Anyone else ever run across something like this?

Last edited by movielib; 09-27-12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 09:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I, too, saw it last night at a free screening. I thought it was great. Entertaining, violent, complex but not convoluted. A solid 4/5.

They were also handing out these at the screening:
Spoiler:
Old 09-27-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
Edit: This has nothing to do with the film but the theater was full (comes with "free") and some were turned away. (With Gofobo, they tell you the passes will be overbooked and some may not get in.) When we went into the theater, it was going very slowly. I was perplexed. When we got closer I saw they were "wanding" everybody and looking inside women's purses. They said it was because of the incident in Colorado and also to prevent video piracy. When we got in they announced that they were told to collect cell phones (which I don't believe - what a nightmare) but they weren't doing that but if anyone turned one on during the movie they would be thrown out.

You just described a majority of free and test screenings.
Old 09-27-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

His part is rather small.
Old 09-27-12, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Yeah, that is standard for most advanced screenings and has been happening for years.
Old 09-27-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
You just described a majority of free and test screenings.
Originally Posted by mdc3000
^Yeah, that is standard for most advanced screenings and has been happening for years.
Really? I hadn't been to one since Warrior last year and they didn't do it then.
Old 09-27-12, 10:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

They didn't use the wand on anybody at my screening, but they had security guys with night vision or infrared cameras making sure no one was recording it.
Old 09-27-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
They didn't use the wand on anybody at my screening, but they had security guys with night vision or infrared cameras making sure no one was recording it.
We had that too.
Old 09-28-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
When we got in they announced that they were told to collect cell phones (which I don't believe - what a nightmare) but they weren't doing that but if anyone turned one on during the movie they would be thrown out.

Not uncommon for studios to do when a movie hasn't been released yet. Tapes for screenings, for example, are usually transported by studio staff (not contractors or security guards).

Last movie I remember this happening was when I saw 127 Hours early.
Old 09-28-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My review:

Doing a concept for a sci-fi movie isn't too difficult. It's probably the easiest part about making the film. Take our world, and just juice it up differently. Let's say currency is now time, and everyone transfer it through their skin. Or we're all batteries enslaved by a machine hive-mind. Or people can enter your dreams.

For the average sci-fi film, this is enough to fill about half of the running time. You have a voiceover or a character explaining how things work in this world, and you get some nice little FX set pieces to hold your audience's attention.

The problem is, at some point you run out of the show and have to start with the tell. And the average sci-fi film that hits your local multiplex does a really, really bad job with this. By the time you actually have to tell the story, most filmmakers have either forgotten that there should be a story, or have been so busy working on the intricacies of their universe that they're not able to pull a worthwhile story through the maze of rules they have created.

Luckily, Rian Johnson is not most filmmakers. Looper throws in two separate, major sci-fi developments:

One, time travel has been invented in the future but has become highly illegal. Only the most powerful crime syndicate in the world has access to it, and uses it to disappear people into the past.

Two... well, two's not in the trailers (that I can remember).
Spoiler:
Humans have developed the ability to use "TK" (telekinesis) although it's about as useful as wiggling your ears: a neat party trick, nothing more.

The story itself is about straightforward as a hard-boiled time-travel crime story can get, although there's one chicken-and-egg sequence that I am still trying to wrap my head around. The crime story turns into a revenge tale. Then the entire movie suddenly shifts towards becoming an elegiac discourse on the power of love and the endless cycle of human abuse that reminded me of A Perfect World. But with science fiction.

There's a lot of points I wasn't too keen on (and the ending is a bit predictable) but this is still one of the better sci-fi films of the last decade. You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you miss it.
Old 09-28-12, 09:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Great review.

Since this is the review thread, I don't know if spoiler tags are necessary, but...
Spoiler:
I don't remember seeing any reference to the importance of the child in the trailers. Good on them for leaving that out.
My only disappointment was that I could have easily watched an entire film (or TV series??) based on the 30 years the "old Joe" had before the crime syndicate found him and his wife. I call this a "disappointment" because that montage was a little too short.
Old 09-28-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I would say yes. Reviews threads should contain Spoiler tags unless the topic specifically says "Spoilers" in it. A lot of people want to read other peoples opinions of movies before dropping $14 and 2 hours+.
Old 09-28-12, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I would say no. If you want to discuss the movie with spoilers go to the original thread.
Old 09-28-12, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Original thread deserves spoilers. Reviews don't. That's part of the point of a review. To review.
Old 09-28-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Just got back from seeing it and it was bloody fucking cool! Bruce Willis is the Terminator! This one will probably go on my top 10 of the year. I did enjoy it more than The Avengers, though. Still not better than Dredd, but that's just personal opinion.

Good shit right here!
Old 09-28-12, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

BTW, Piper Perabo shows of the itty, bitties. You're welcome.
Old 09-28-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Review threads don't need spoilers, but I'd say usually the first week or so most people do it out of courtesy.
Old 09-28-12, 03:44 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really expected not to like this one. I have to nitpick the time travel stuff...
Spoiler:
They can't or won't kill people in the future? Instead they use a TIME MACHINE to routinely send LIVE victims back in time (Alive? even tied up that's dangerous) so that they can be killed/cleaned. They can't vaporize people in the future? Or blow people up? Do they care that much if the police find a dead body?? The whole concept is like using a Porsche to haul trash. That and the 4th grade way they handled paradoxes.

STILL, this movie was awesome. Great action and actors working together. Fun fun movie.
Old 09-28-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I really expected not to like this one. I have to nitpick the time travel stuff...
Spoiler:
They can't or won't kill people in the future? Instead they use a TIME MACHINE to routinely send LIVE victims back in time (Alive? even tied up that's dangerous) so that they can be killed/cleaned. They can't vaporize people in the future? Or blow people up? Do they care that much if the police find a dead body?? The whole concept is like using a Porsche to haul trash. That and the 4th grade way they handled paradoxes.

STILL, this movie was awesome. Great action and actors working together. Fun fun movie.
Saw it.

My only beef with the movie was your beef. If criminals have access to time travel, they would be using it to do a hell of a lot more than what they were in this movie. I think TimeCop did a better job of illustrating what would happen in that regard than this movie. Still, the time travel is just a plot device for this movie, not the actual plot.

Overall, very well made. The best parts of the movie are what you can see from the world created that aren't mentioned or made part of the plot (rich people non-chalantly killing the poor in the street). JGL did a great job, and if they want to re-boot Die Hard with him as John McClane, I say go for it. Too many twists and turns to go into detail, but good sci-fi that actually was sci-fi, not an action movie posing as sci-fi.

That said, I see this getting bad word of mouth. A lot of the TV ads are trying to make it look like another Willis action movie. While there is some good action, it is far from that in just about every regard. Joe Public will go on thinking it's one thing, and when they get what it truly is, they will hate it and trash it to their friends. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I see happening.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.