View Single Post
Old 09-26-12, 10:40 PM   #117
jacob_b
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The 8th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

Shooting for 110 movies. Came close to 100 last year. Going to try to hit the challenges as well this year. Any first time viewings will have * next to it. Blu-Ray movies will be in blue while DVDs will be in red. Theater movies will be in green and anything watched on TV will be in purple.

Movie List
Spoiler:

OCTOBER 1st
1. Drag Me To Hell: Have not seen this film since the theaters. For a comedy film, it's great. Sam Raimi is a great comedy director who uses some low budget CG and effects. As a horror flick, I laughed more than anything else. Some great one-liners, but just doesn't do it for me as a horror film. Still give it 3/5 stars, though.
2. The Ward: Thought it was my first time watching it and then once I got towards the ending, I remembered watching it last year. Good ending, but the middle just cannot hold up. A better movie like this would be Girl, Interrupted. I'll give it 2 out of 5 stars.
3. The Last House on the Left (2009): Remake was very well done. I really enjoyed it, especially the acting and story to it. One of the better remakes of films out there, plus the women are hot. Give it 4 out of 5 stars.
4. *The Last House on the Left (1972): I may have seen this before, but just never paid attention to it, so I'm counting it as a first view. I always find it hard to get into older movies because budgets are usually less, graphics are way different, the style of clothing isn't my thing, etc. So it took me a good while to get into it. It was especially hard because I saw the remake first and really liked the way the remake was done, so it was hard to watch because the criminals, especially the young boy, just were not as good. Overall, though, I did get the feel of the movie and I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 2nd
5. The Birds: Movie picked up extremely slowly and the ending was just eh. Watched this as a child and liked it, but just could not hold my attention as an adult. Give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.
6. Thir13en Ghosts (2001): I always enjoy this movie. Matthew Lillard has become one of my all-time favorite actors. Worthy of a watch every year. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 3rd
7. *Village of the Damned (1960): Really decent film. Did take some time to pick up, but liked the ending of the film. A good 3 out of 5 stars film.
8. *Children of the Damned: Not as good as Village, but still a really decent film. Loved the events leading up to the ending. A good 3 out of 5 stars film.
9. Repo the Genetic Opera: Really great film. I'm a fan of rock musicals and horror, so this was perfect for me. Paris Hilton was very good in her role and I love me the girl from Spy Kids and Bill Moseley. Sarah Brightman and Terrance Zdunich were incredible as well. A great 4 out of 5 stars film.
10. *Village of the Damned (1995): Not that bad of a remake. Got my attention and the kids were creepy. Decent 2.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 4th
11. They Live: Best action scene in a horror film. I love Piper as well. Really interesting story and lots of fun. 4 out of 5 stars.
12. *Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Decent film. Never really watched the show, but thought the movie was not too bad. There were some parts that were dumb, which is typical in a teenage horror flick, but the Pee-Wee death scene was classic. That alone I'll give 2.75 out of 5 stars.
13. The Cabin in the Woods: Really good film. Stoner is probably the best horror movie character (good guy) of all-time. Really good lines and interesting concept. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 5th
14. The Thing (1982): There's some good horror elements to this film, but it just doesn't live up to the hype that the film gets. It is a pretty good story, but seems to drag on during certain parts of the film. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
15. *Prince of Darkness: There's nothing good I can say about this film. I know what the film is about, but couldn't say much about the film besides if you need something to put you to sleep, this is it. 1 out of 5 stars.
16. House on Haunted Hill (1999): Not that bad for a remake. Like the nod to Mr. Price in it too. A nice 2.5 out of 5 stars for this film.
17. *I Spit on Your Grave (2010): Amazing remake. The female lead is extremely hot and most of the villains are good actors. The only bad thing are the deaths. Some of them are just unbelievable and not like the original. I do like the last death, though. Decent 3 out of 5 stars film.

OCTOBER 6th
18. *Frankenweenie: This movie is TRASH. I don't know why Disney and Burton continue to put out trash. SO GLAD this movie did not make any money and I have no clue why it got such high reviews. There's some decent art work, but the characters, story, etc have all been done before. 1.5 out of 5 stars just for the designs.
19. Evil Dead 2: Really good film. Can't believe I just watched the Evil Dead series last year. Lots of fun, blood, and laughs. The only annoying thing is the beginning where they change the story. Give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 7th
20. Behind the Mask: Always a good film to watch. Very unique and an interesting story. Such a damn shame they did not get the funds to do a sequel. Great 4 out of 5 stars film.
21. Final Stab Not very unique and the acting is pretty sub-par. Still, if you like a slasher and 90's horror flicks, this would be good for a view. 2 out of 5 stars.
22. The Surge: I highly recommend this film to anyone who likes cheap, low budget horror flicks. This was before The Chronicle and ahead of its time. Decent cast, funny colors for the powers, a must watch film. Only bad thing is the typical outcast characters and everyone looks like they can be a model. 4 out of 5 stars.
23. *Prom Night (1980): Was expecting more from a Jamie Lee Curtis film. Horrible lightening and terrible cast killed the movie. The start of the movie was a bit freaky and enjoyed the dance, but that's about it. 1.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 8th
24. *The Legend of Sorrow Creek: I honestly could not tell you much about the film. Semi confusing plot, sub-par acting, but what can you expect on an 8 pack DVD film set? Was hoping for a couple of scares and some blood, but really only one good scene. 1.5 out of 5 stars.
25. Ghost Ship This movie probably has the best opening sequence out of any film. Add in Quinn from Dexter and you got a really decent movie. A must play every year. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
26. Night of the Living Dead (1990): Anytime you have Bill Moseley and Tony Todd, it's a great film. Loved the acting of the film, but the ending isn't nearly as good as the original. Still, a must watch film. 3.5 out of 4 stars.
27. Night of the Living Dead (1968): The story is much better than the remake, but I'll take most of the acting in the remake than the original. If they could combine the two movies, they would easily have the best horror film out there. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 9th
28. *Day of the Dead (1985): I don't know why people think this movie is so good. Really dragged on and on as well as the filming and acting were just awful. The end of the movie got good, but strange ending as well. 1.5 out of 5 stars.
29. Otis: This is an interesting film. Some fat bastard kidnaps girls and tries to recreate a high school prom moment. Lots of good one liners and decent acting. I'll give it a 3 out of 5 stars and say it is a must watch at least once.
30. *Young Frankenstein: Finally got around to seeing this. Very funny and always love Gene Wilder in anything he does. Some great lines and comedy. Kind of dragged a bit here and there, but overall, a good film. I'll give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
31. *Sorority Row: This was another interesting film. Great good, but some poor acting. I do like some of the actors, but their parts weren't that long. If you like teen slashers, I'll give it a look, especially for the nudity. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
32. The Tripper: Killer in a Reagan mask and hippies...add in Pee Wee Herman...shall I say more? Sadly, could have been better, but I love Pee Wee and it's good for a one time view. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 10th
33. Shaun of the Dead: English comedy zombie film...pretty damn entertaining. Not as great as it's hyped to be, but still good for laughs. 4 out of 5 stars.
34. *An American Werewolf in London: This was pretty decent, but had some dry spells. It's good to watch at least once, but nothing to write home about. 2.5 out of 5 stars.
35. *The Triloquist: The movie started out as a good story, but by the middle of the film, the acting got annoying. The female lead was all talk, but didn't bring the goods. Her brother got pretty annoying without saying a word. The dummy had good comedy, but I don't know why he couldn't break free from the female. A few random questions towards the end that weren't explained as well. If you want a horror film with lots of tits, though, this is a good film. 2 out of 5 stars.
36. *The Orphanage: I heard a lot of good things about this film, so I had high expectations for the film. Sadly, it kind of disappointed as there was a lot of question marks. If you like a good ghost story, this may be a film for you if you don't mind having all the answers. A good film, but not as great as others make it out to be. 3 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 11th
37. Abbott & Costello meet Frankenstein: Good comedy film with old school monsters. Must see for anyone that loves monsters and comedy. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
38. Let The Right One In: Great vampire movie with an old school feel. One of the best vampire films out there with a nice romantic story in it. 4.5 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 12th
39. *Sinister: Great film. One of the best horror films made in recent years. Up there with Cabin in the Woods, but on a different level. A must see for any horror fan. 4 out of 5 stars.

OCTOBER 13th-OCTOBER 21st (Lost track of when I watched what movies as I got sick)
39 1/2. Dexter Season 7.1: Great opening episode. So glad this show is back on the air. 4.5 out of 5.
40. Dexter Season 7.2: Even better episode with a pretty shocking twist for me. 5 out of 5.
40 1/2. Dexter Season 7.3: Pretty sick new criminal was show who was a total freak show. 5 out of 5.
41. Dexter Season 7.4: great way to move the story along, but not as great as the rest of the season so far. 4 out of 5.
42. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978): Extremely creepy and freaky film with great acting. Loved every second of it. 4 out of 5 stars.
43. *Hell: Started out decently, but was very slow in the middle and end. Had a decent story to it, but just couldn't really pull it off. 1.5 out of 5 stars.
44. Halloween (2007): I'm a big Rob Zombie fan and I enjoyed what he did with his version of the film. Sure, there were a couple of things I didn't like (he portrays the typical white trash stereotype too much) but I enjoyed most of the acting and story. 3 out of 5 stars.
45. Case 39: While not the best movie, there were a few things that were good about it and the girl was creepy. Could have done more with the story, though. For that I will give it 2 out of 5 stars.
46. Insidious: Love the mom in the film. Sadly, I think it's overrated though by the public. Great build in the beginning, but then it falls flat for the most part. Especially the clowns that were the ghost hunters, totally ruined it. 2.5 out of 5 stars as the first half was a 5, second half, 1-2. Hopefully the planned sequel won't fall flat.
47. The Exorcism of Emily Rose: Really love this film, especially since it has Debra from Dexter. Very suspenseful and love the courtroom part of it as well. 4 out of 5 stars.

Theme Nights
Spoiler:
--- 10/01: Cessation City - Urban Horror - The Last House on the Left (1972)
--- 10/02: Peace, Love & Dismemberment - 1960's Horror Cinema - The Birds
--- 10/03: The Doctor is In ...sane - Medical Horrors - Repo the Genetic Opera
--- 10/04: Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge, Kill Kill - Meta Horror Films - The Cabin in the Woods
--- 10/05: Gruesome, Greasy, Grindhouse Sleazy - Exploitation Horror - I Spit on Your Grave (2010)
--- 10/06: Movies That Mess With Your Head - "Exploding Head" Horror - Evil Dead 2
--- 10/07: Day of the Pissed Off Woman - Scream Queens - Prom Night (1980)
--- 10/08: The Ultimate Pointless Cash Grab Blood Feud! - Remakes Vs. Sequels - Night of the Living Dead (1990)
--- 10/09: Dawn of the Decaying - Zombie Films - Day of the Dead (1985)
--- 10/10: Sweaty Asses Scaring the Masses - Rubber Suit Horror Films -
--- 10/11: Avant-garde, Surreal & Without Mass Appeal - Arthouse Horror Films - Let the Right One In
--- 10/12: When Metal Meets Flesh - Killer Robots / Evil Technology -
--- 10/13: Angst-Ridden with Blemishes Hidden - Teen Screams -
--- 10/14: Buried Alive and Itching to Survive - Subterranean Horror -
--- 10/15: Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Frankenstein / Mad Doctor Films -
--- 10/16: Die You Nazi Bastards! - Third Reich Terrors -
--- 10/17: Rent's Overdue & So Are You! - Apartment Horror -
--- 10/18: Viking Decapitation Via Windmill - NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian Horror -
--- 10/19: It Slices, Dices & Guts You Like a Fish - Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers -
--- 10/20: Bela...Bram. Bram...Bela. - Bela @ 130 & Bram @ 165 -
--- 10/21: The Earth Died Screaming - Apocalyptic Horror -
--- 10/22: The Last Man on Earth is Not Alone - Cinema Inspired By Richard Matheson -
--- 10/23: The Asian Buffet of Tantalizing Terrors! - Korean / Thai / J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian -
--- 10/24: Some Folks Have a Strange Idea of Entertainment - Grave Robbing Horror -
--- 10/25: It was a Dark and Stormy Night... - Campground Tales -
--- 10/26: For God's Sake, Get Out! - Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost -
--- 10/27: Mass Marathon of the Damned 3: Battery Acid Tea -
--- 10/28: On the Highway to Hell - Road Terrors -
--- 10/29: Lychanthrope Lunacy - Werewolves & Were-Creatures -
--- 10/30: The Demented Debauchery of Devil's Night - Demonic Possession / Satanic -
--- 10/31: All Hallows Eve Hellfest - Halloween Related -

31 Film Subset
Spoiler:
--- 10/01: clckworang - Blacula (1972)
--- 10/02: orlmac - The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
--- 10/03: Dimension X - The Dentist (1996)
--- 10/04: arw6040 - The Cabin in the Woods (2011)
--- 10/05: NoirFan - Count Yorga: Vampire (1970)
--- 10/06: Trevor - Touch of Death (1988)
--- 10/07: riotinmyskull - Return of the Living Dead (1985)
--- 10/08: DEEveeDEE3 - Mother's Day (2010)
--- 10/09: cwileyy - Deadgirl (2008)
--- 10/10: Screwadu - Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
--- 10/11: Mister Peepers - Dead of Night (1945)
--- 10/12: LJG765 - Class of 1999 (1990)
--- 10/13: indiephantom - Forget Me Not (2009)
--- 10/14: edwardnortonfan - Buried (2010)
--- 10/15: SterlingBen - Frankenhooker (1990)
--- 10/16: Viewaskewbian - Chillerama (2010)
--- 10/17: rbrown498 - Noroi: The Curse (2005)
--- 10/18: terrycloth - Saint Nick (2010)
--- 10/19: Bladz - Deep Red (1975)
--- 10/20: BobO'Link - White Zombie (1932)
--- 10/21: SethDLH - Stake Land (2010)
--- 10/22: shellebelle - The Last Man on Earth (1964)
--- 10/23: ororama - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)
--- 10/24: tarfrimmer - I Sell the Dead (2008)
--- 10/25: Darth Maher - Lake Mungo (2008)
--- 10/26: Chad - The Innkeepers (2011)
--- 10/27: Undeadcow - Fascination (1979)
--- 10/28: jmsmath - Rubber (2010)
--- 10/29: Darkgod - Night of the Werewolf (1981)
--- 10/30: J. Farley - The Pyx (1973)
--- 10/31: Gobear - Murder Party (2008)

Last edited by jacob_b; 10-24-12 at 02:13 AM.