Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-10-11, 11:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I figure since this is a brand new way digital copies and downloads will be handled by the studios, it may be best to have a seperate thread for it. As of now, here's how the process works. From http://www.uvvu.com/

Disc, stream or download
Purchasing UltraViolet content gives you flexibility to watch the way you want:

•Stream to any internet-connected device, including cable/satellite set-top boxes
•Download for offline viewing, including full HD copies
•Get a disc included even when you buy online - either download or streaming

How do you want to watch?
At home or on the go, UltraViolet lets you watch where you want:

•TVs
•Computers
•Tablets
•Game consoles
•Set top boxes
•Blu-ray players
•Internet TVs
•Smartphones

Choose your brand
You can watch the titles in your UltraViolet Digital Library on devices from multiple brands:

•Stream to ANY internet-connected device, including cable/satellite set-top boxes
•Download copies to any UltraViolet-logo app or device that can store and play video files

Choose your experience
Build and personalize your Ultraviolet Library for each family or household Member:

•Filtered library views and personalized recommendations
•Parental Controls to help provide a safe viewing experience for kids

No Special Equipment
You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Library - watch on the devices you already own today!

Strong Industry Support
UltraViolet is backed by many of the world's leading entertainment and technology companies, who share the vision of UltraViolet as a key part of the future entertainment landscape.

Last edited by E Unit; 10-10-11 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: The Ultraviolet (UV) Thread

Old 10-10-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With an amazing 5 titles coming out in the next 2 months. While it's backed by a bunch of tech companies, the trick is to get the studios to move away from what they're doing now.
Old 10-10-11, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of this. What movies have this?
Old 10-10-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen this with ads for Horrible Bosses. Meh.
Old 10-10-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that Sony and Warner are aboard for launch and Disney is supposedly on board for post-launch (although I'm not sure if I believe that).

Also, UV may draw the distinction between HD and SD, meaning if you purchase a SD copy, a FREE eventual upgrade to HD may not happen.
Old 10-10-11, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing I was confused about with this when it was initially announced is that it seemed as if you needed an internet-capable BD player to even play the disc. Is that no longer the case?
Old 10-10-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
The one thing I was confused about with this when it was initially announced is that it seemed as if you needed an internet-capable BD player to even play the disc. Is that no longer the case?
That was never the case, actually. One of the early "articles" on the internet about UV had a lot of incorrect information in it.
Old 10-10-11, 02:53 PM

Okay, that's good. My main BD player is not BD-Live capable, so it really had me kind of upset when I read that.

So you can still physically download the digital copy for these releases, right? Can the physical download be played in iTunes? I have an iPod Classic, and yeah, it's not fun to watch a movie on there on a consistent basis, it's good once in a while for a trip, and I like to be able to put my Digital Copies on there.
Old 10-10-11, 02:53 PM

Okay, that's good. My main BD player is not BD-Live capable, so it really had me kind of upset when I read that.

So you can still physically download the digital copy for these releases, right? Can the physical download be played in iTunes? I have an iPod Classic, and yeah, it's not fun to watch a movie on there on a consistent basis, it's good once in a while for a trip, and I like to be able to put my Digital Copies on there.
Old 10-10-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can download a local copy. I don't believe it is integrated with iTunes though. My understanding is, you would use the UltraViolet app on your iPod to download the desired content from your UV library (which is in the "cloud") to watch later on the device.
Old 10-10-11, 03:18 PM

So if you have an older iPod, you're SOL I guess. I doubt there's an UltraViolet app for an iPod Classic, lol. Oh well.
Old 10-10-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if you have an older iPod, you're SOL I guess. I doubt there's an UltraViolet app for an iPod Classic, lol. Oh well.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like:
Downloads

UltraViolet titles will soon be available from all UltraViolet participating retailers in a standard downloadable file format that will work on all UltraViolet-compatible media players apps and devices, and which can be copied from one UltraViolet-compatible app/device to another. Members will be able to download at least three of these files from the selling retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price for a period of one year after the purchase. Additional file downloads will be available, and may have service fees associated with providing them. They will be able to play these downloaded files on up to 12 UltraViolet-compatible apps/devices that are currently registered in the Member's UltraViolet account. The functionality and rights for downloads that are described here are planned, but not guaranteed, and are subject to change.

Before UltraViolet's standard downloadable file format and compatible apps/devices become available, the retailer from which the member obtains a title with UltraViolet rights may offer the ability to download files to certain devices. The number and type of devices to which downloads are permitted may vary by retailer and title. Additionally, UltraViolet retailers may offer account members the chance to download files associated with UltraViolet rights they have purchased from other UltraViolet retailers.
On the upside, at least it's a more standardized digital copy scheme with more flexibility and convenience in accessing the content.
Old 10-10-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds very promising, but I still want to see it in action. It's nothing that I'd want to pay a premium for.
Old 10-10-11, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-10-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

"Add it to your digital library"? I don't HAVE a digital library!

No Special Equipment
You don't need any special equipment or additional technology to enjoy your UltraViolet Library - watch on the devices you already own today!
You mean my Blu-Ray player and TV, right? Or can I play it on my VCR too?
Old 10-10-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

Try again. Whatever you tried to post isn't there.
Old 10-11-11, 04:55 AM
Banned

Great. Another fad that's going to die off before you know it. Sort of like 3D....only worse.
Old 10-11-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read the fine print: the UV DC is yours for only 3 years, then you'll have to pay to use it again. Plus since it doesn't support Apple products -- no import into iTunes -- then it becomes virtually useless for millions of people. This is just studios' war against Apple, who made digital downloads viable.
Old 10-11-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Read the fine print: the UV DC is yours for only 3 years, then you'll have to pay to use it again. Plus since it doesn't support Apple products -- no import into iTunes -- then it becomes virtually useless for millions of people. This is just studios' war against Apple, who made digital downloads viable.
I posted the fine print and it doesn't say anything about the downloaded copies no longer playing after 3 years. Neither do the terms of use. Where did you see that?

Also, I wouldn't say that it's useless for Apple products, since undoubtedly there will be a UV app for iOS. The only real difference in usage is that it will use the UV cloud instead of iTunes/iCloud to deliver to or play on your device.
Old 10-11-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple doesn't support UV. It was their choice not to join up. So that's not the fault of UV. Literally every company is on board, except for Apple and Disney. So I'd say it's Apple's greed and not the "studios' war against Apple" as the reason for the lack of support.
Old 10-11-11, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Read the fine print: the UV DC is yours for only 3 years, then you'll have to pay to use it again.
This isn't true. From the FAQ:
http://www.uvvu.com/faqs.php#question-22
Will my UltraViolet Rights expire?
Your rights to the movie or TV show you purchase do not expire
Then it links to this page:
http://www.uvvu.com/uv-offer-details.php

Where some limits are mentioned:
Streaming
UltraViolet rights include streaming from the selling UltraViolet retailer, at no extra charge above the original purchase price, for at least one year after purchase.
It goes on to say that attempting to stream after a year, or with a different retailer, may incur fees, of which you'd be notified of upfront before using.

Downloads
Members will be able to download at least three of these files from the selling retailer, at no extra charge above the original content purchase price for a period of one year after the purchase.
Again, downloading more than 3 copies or downloading after a year may incur fees. However, the previously downloaded copies should be able to be locally transferred between devices, and never expire.
Old 10-12-11, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, you are out of a luck. A notice pops up when you try and stream. Just a fantastic start to this service.
Old 10-12-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So if you have a Jailbroken iPhone, you are out of a luck. A notice pops up when you try and stream. Just a fantastic start to this service.
That's not really surprising. Jailbroken phones can circumvent the DRM, which is why some companies, including Apple, have apps that attempt to detect jailbreaking.

http://www.cultofmac.com/82097/ibook...roken-iphones/
http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...phone-4.79410/
Old 10-12-11, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Has nothing to do with UV. Guess they would rather me pirate them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.