Reload this Page >

NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 01-21-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This is a thread for anyone with NetFlix for recommending titles (movies, documentaries, or TV shows) available in NetFlix's online streaming "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" feature, which is now unlimited for members with an unlimited rentals account. Given the "limited" selection of titles available in the online viewing area, it can be tough to find worthy ones to watch, so the hope is people will use this thread for recommending some "diamonds in the rough" that they have found.

(Note: I put this thread here in the "DVD Talk" subforum because NetFlix is mostly known as a DVD rental site and it has both movies and TV offerings in its online streaming area, so this subforum made more sense than either "Movie Talk" or "TV Talk" for this thread.)
Old 01-21-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll recommend Long Weekend (1979), an Australian film that's definitely "of its time" but is interesting in the depiction of how out of place urban people are in a natural environment.
Old 01-21-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dhmac
(Note: I put this thread here in the "DVD Talk" subforum because NetFlix is mostly known as a DVD rental site and it has both movies and TV offerings in its online streaming area, so this subforum made more sense than either "Movie Talk" or "TV Talk" for this thread.)
Well, yes, Netflix is known as DVD rental - however, the Watch Now feature are streaming, its much different from DVD itself. IMO, Movie Talk/TV Talk are probably the best place for this kind.
Old 01-21-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by McHawkson
Well, yes, Netflix is known as DVD rental - however, the Watch Now feature are streaming, its much different from DVD itself. IMO, Movie Talk/TV Talk are probably the best place for this kind.
But the thread can only go in one subforum (here or Movie or TV), so there's the rub.
Old 01-21-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
I recommend the Film Crew releases on there if you are a Mystery Science Theater fan.
Old 01-21-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But the thread can only go in one subforum (here or Movie or TV), so there's the rub.
Yeah, we can leave it to Moderators to decide.
Old 01-21-08, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by McHawkson
Mod note:
Actually I think the Reviews/Recommendations forum makes the most sense. Since noone else thought of it though I'm not sure how many people actually know about it

WRT answering the question personally I've found the best use of it so far to be old TV shows, I went through most of Hercules and Xena (actually still working on this), next up is Dexter and Mindfreak. What I really hope they do, now that they removed time limits, is allow the profiles to access the "Watch now" feature (currently they don't have that ability). This would mean you can create a "watch now" queue and be able to keep it separate from your regular queue. As it stands I have a "watch now" profile, but I have to login to that to see what's on there, then login to my main account (actually I usually just use different browsers) and actually watch it, then go back to the profile and delete it. Kind of cumbersome but it works...

Last edited by nemein; 01-21-08 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Until there's some way to get Netflix streaming on my TiVo and/or TV and not just my computer monitor, I doubt I'll ever use it.
Old 01-21-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
Until there's some way to get Netflix streaming on my TiVo and/or TV and not just my computer monitor, I doubt I'll ever use it.
HTPC. It's the only way to fly.
Old 01-21-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and I watched the classic Marilyn Monroe movie The Seven Year Itch on Watch Now the other day. Good fun.
Old 01-22-08, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No end in sight is a good documentary about the war in Iraq. For those who haven't seen it, I recommend Dexter (showtime tv show)...

I have also used this new feature to check out things I never would have rented, such as educational videos...
Old 01-23-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coop22
No end in sight is a good documentary about the war in Iraq.
I second that, No End In Sight is the best documentary I've seen on the Iraq War. Well-worth seeking out.
Old 01-24-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll recommend Long Weekend (1979), an Australian film that's definitely "of its time" but is interesting in the depiction of how out of place urban people are in a natural environment.
I don't have Netflix anymore, but I'll second this great movie! And, of course, what better time to watch it since Hollywood is remaking it...
Old 01-26-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are some great concert documentaries on NetFlix's Watch Now. These are the ones I've seen so far:

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense - Jonathan Demme's great concert film starring the Talking Heads. All music, no talking, and superbly shot.

Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same - the original version, but still a nice "quick fix" until the new Hi-Def editions finally gets released to disc.

Cream: Farewell Concert - this is their original farewell concert in 1970, not the reunion one 30 years later, so they are in their prime. However this is in the old-fashioned music documentary style in which too much time is devoted to talking, not enough is devoted to the music

Festival Express - kind of like "'Woodstock' on a Train", this 1970 tour featured the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, and The Band and was only a few month's before Joplin's death.

LoudQUIETloud: A Film About the Pixies - this is about the Pixies reunion of the past few years.

Storefront Hitchcock - Jonathan Demme's return to music documentary, this time featuring Robyn Hitchcock.
Old 01-27-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I found The Cars video to be pretty amusing.
Old 01-29-08, 12:34 PM

when do you suspect Netflix' online catalog will catch up to its dvd rental catalog?
Old 01-29-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OutRun2
when do you suspect Netflix' online catalog will catch up to its dvd rental catalog?
Due to the additional rights issues involved for online viewing, I don't think it ever will match the disc rental selection.
Old 01-30-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Amazing Stories: Season 2 is on there.
Old 01-31-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just noticed that the nature documentary Blue Planet: Seas of Life has two episodes on there ("Tidal Seas" / "Coasts"). This documentary series is from the same group who made Planet Earth and - dare I say - I think this previous documentary is even a bit better than that great one. "Watch Now" doesn't have the whole thing, but these two episodes are a good way to check it out first.
Old 02-02-08, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ten
Old 02-04-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another great documentary I ran across on Watch Now:

Maxed Out

(Here's the DVD Talk review of this documentary)
Old 02-08-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Grindhouse: Death Proof and Grindhouse: Planet Terror just were added to Watch Now
Old 02-12-08, 12:11 AM

Keep the recommendations coming.

I signed up for Netflix over the weekend again (the 3rd time) and I'd like to know what movies on the instant view feature are worth the watch.
Old 02-15-08, 12:05 PM

A few new seasons of Showtime series are now available, including The L word and Brotherhood

I recommend both of these

I haven't watched the Penn and Teller series, but that is now available too...
Old 02-15-08, 12:37 PM

I've always meant to watch "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and "Shampoo."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.