Reload this Page >

Stephen King's The Dark Tower 4.5: The Wind Through The Keyhole - 2012

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 03-10-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope it adds to the story, I was so disappointed in the last DT book.

Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland’s old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It’s finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won’t tell you much that’s new about Roland and his friends, but there’s a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT-4.5. It’s not going to change anybody’s life, but God, I had fun.

-- Steve King
Old 03-10-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear Constant Readers,

At some point, while worrying over the copyedited manuscript of the next book (11/22/63, out November 8th), I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again. The major story of Roland and his ka-tet was told, but I realized there was at least one hole in the narrative progression: what happened to Roland, Jake, Eddie, Susannah, and Oy between the time they leave the Emerald City (the end of Wizard and Glass) and the time we pick them up again, on the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis (the beginning of Wolves of the Calla)?

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape. I saw a line of riders, one of them Roland's old mate, Jamie DeCurry, emerging from clouds of alkali dust thrown by a high wind. I saw a severed head on a fencepost. I saw a swamp full of dangers and terrors. I saw just enough to want to see the rest. Long story short, I went back to visit an-tet with my friends for awhile. The result is a novel called The Wind Through the Keyhole. It's finished, and I expect it will be published next year.

It won't tell you much that's new about Roland and his friends, but there's a lot none of us knew about Mid-World, both past and present. The novel is shorter than DT 2-7, but quite a bit longer than the first volume—call this one DT 4.5. It's not going to change anybody's life, but God, I had fun.

Steve King

---

Might be a bit early going back to this well but it sure made my day.
Old 03-10-11, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower 4.5: The Wind Through The Keyhole - 2012

I'm in. I was hoping to re-read the series in anticipation of the live action versions anyway and this makes for an extra excuse
Old 03-10-11, 08:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Stephen King's The Dark Tower 4.5: The Wind Through The Keyhole - 2012

Interesting. I'll buy it.
Old 03-10-11, 09:19 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I figured we hadn't heard the last of Roland and his ka-tet. Glad to look forward to another DT installment.
Old 03-10-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man it would be perfect if it would come out now as I'm in the middle of the fourth and fifth book.
Old 03-10-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know the only thing worse than prequels? Interquels. At least with a prequel, you know Anakin's going to turn into Darth Vader and kick some serious ass at some point. With this, whatever happens will be so inconsequential that nobody ever mentions it in the other books.
Old 03-10-11, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Until the Special Editions of 5-7.
Old 03-11-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
At some point... I started thinking—and dreaming—about Mid-World again.

There was a storm, I decided. One of sudden and vicious intensity. The kind to which billy-bumblers like Oy are particularly susceptible. Little by little, a story began to take shape.
Now this sounds promising. 1-4 seemed to come about in the same fashion and not forced out like 5-7.
Old 03-11-11, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm unsure how I feel about this.

If it has the same feel as books 1 through 4 - I'd be happy to read it. I didn't enjoy most of books 5 through 7.
Old 03-11-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Sounds awesome to me. I'm in!
Old 03-12-11, 07:22 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Now this sounds promising. 1-4 seemed to come about in the same fashion and not forced out like 5-7.
Exactly . . . couldn't agree more.
Old 05-23-11, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I might start reading these now
Old 05-24-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,387 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdragon
I think I might start reading these now
I've been thinking about it too. I like some King stuff every now and then (The Shining, The Mist, Under the Dome), and I kinda like the idea of a big epic story like this.
Old 03-23-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First review I've seen:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54448

There may be spoilers, I didn't read it all of the way through. My question is this: I stopped reading the Dark Tower books after #4. I've been debating whether to start them again and was wondering if anyone has heard if they should be read in order of publication or should I read this before wolves.
Old 03-24-12, 01:16 PM

So I am a little torn. Originally I was going to wait until April and buy the Scribner’s edition. But now I see that the illustrations will only be in the AE Grant’s edition.

I have all the Grants Part I-VII. But this Grant is $75. I could care less that it’s a signed edition. So I would be paying $75 basically for added illustrations and the Grant logo. Seems a little steep. Wish this was a 30-40,000 print run without it being signed like some of the previous books.

Does anyone think Grant will release another printing that’s not a signed copy at some point in the future? I really want the illustrations and also nice to have the Grant logo to match up the rest of my DT books, but not sure I can justify $75 for it.
Worth it or no?
Old 03-24-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
First review I've seen:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54448

There may be spoilers, I didn't read it all of the way through. My question is this: I stopped reading the Dark Tower books after #4. I've been debating whether to start them again and was wondering if anyone has heard if they should be read in order of publication or should I read this before wolves.
I think that I read that it goes inbetween 4 and 5. I will see if I can find the article.
Old 03-24-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movie diva
I think that I read that it goes inbetween 4 and 5. I will see if I can find the article.
Yeah. I'm hearing that it is 4.5. I guess the question I'm having is if I read the entire season (it's been years since I read the first 4 -and may not have even finished #4- so I'm essentially starting fresh) should I read this last or after 4 and before 5?
Old 03-26-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I have mixed emotions on this ... I whole-heartedly echo Sean O'Hara's sentiments; but first I have to say "you just realized there is at least one hole in the narrative?!"

OK, now ... I was always craving more and would very much like to be on board with another story, but that fervor died down with each successive novel after four. Is it too much for me to hope that story 4.5 causes an alteration in the events in stories 5-7 and we see a whole new "alternate" story/timeline emerge?
Old 03-27-12, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by movie diva
Title and first post of the thread...
Old 04-25-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any thoughts on this one?

I'm in the middle of Game of Thrones, so I'll start it after I finish that.
Old 04-25-12, 12:47 PM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

I have it coming from Amazon. Going to re-read the series, I think. So I'll probably read it after book 4 and see how it fits in.
Old 05-06-12, 09:39 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I read it. Good book, but there very little of actual consequence regarding the time frame between 4 and 5. I don't see it mattering at all whether a person reads this after 4 or after 7, or even skips it altogether.
Mild spoilers, mainly about how the book is set up:
Spoiler:

Roland, Eddie, Jake, Susannah and Oy get caught in a storm called a starkblast. They take shelter in a building while Roland tells a story from his past that takes place not too long after the events in Mejis with Susan Delgado. During that story, he tells another story, one that reads like a fairy tale, but happened hundreds or thousands of years ago in Mid-World. So, it's mostly a story within a story within a story. This story is worth the read alone, and could have worked just as well as a DT novella, leaving out Roland completely.
Old 05-07-12, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Does it read like 1-3 or more like 4-7? I loved 1-3 but the tone felt way off and different with 4 that i just stopped after reading 4.
Old 05-07-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you have no idea if the tone of 5-7 are like 1-3 or 4?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.