Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Starhawk (PS3) Thread

Old 05-08-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Starhawk (PS3) Thread

It seems impossible with the active Warhawk thread, but apparently there is no thread dedicated to Starhawk, which comes out today. I didn't know if anyone here is getting it. The reviews have not been too kind. I ended up getting it for New Egg as a pre-order (mostly because I forgot to cancel in time). As I contemplate sending it back and paying a 15% restocking fee, I saw this announcement from the Playstation Blog, which is pretty epic, actually:

Starhawk Out Today, MLG Tournament, All Map Packs Free!

+ Posted by Dylan Jobe // President, LightBox Interactive

May 8th is finally upon us and Starhawk is now available in stores all over North America! The team has put a lot of work into this game and we hope you all enjoy it! To celebrate the release of Starhawk, here’s a look at our launch trailer…

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x4-GSu5sxXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But, as I mentioned in my last post, the release of Starhawk is really just the beginning of our ongoing support for our international community. And to support our online multiplayer community we have some really great announcements for you all today. First, we’re honored that Major League Gaming has taken a strong interest in Starhawk with its blend of shooter and strategy gameplay, and they’re kicking things off right with a tournament worth $20,000 in prizes so get over to http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/starhawk and sign-up! And if you missed it last night, be sure to check-out the live stream that we did for the MLG Starhawk exhibition with pro gamers Tsquared, Hastr0, and GoldenBoyFTW! We cover single-player, co-op, and of course hot multiplayer action. Witty commentary supplied by me, of course ;-).

Secondly, and this is the announcement that you guys probably were *NOT* expecting…there was a lot of discussion here at LightBox Interactive and Sony Santa Monica on how best to support the community and keep our player base all together as one cohesive group. We really didn’t like how in Warhawk when we released a new map pack, it forced these divisions on our players. And after we released three expansions, our player community was pretty fractured. With Starhawk that ends! We are incredibly excited to announce that all map packs for Starhawk will be free. Yeah, you read that right…FREE. Whenever we release a map pack you won’t have to pay a friggin’ dime! And we’ve already started the early stages of our next map pack for you guys. Check out these very early sketches from the new planet of Cypress! A lush, swampy world that’s home to an abandoned research facility that many years ago was responsible for researching the mysteries of Rift Energy.

Now certainly we’ll have some paid DLC content in the future as well as our free map packs, but we’re still playing around with what that will be. We’re going to be looking to see what the player feedback is on Starhawk in the coming weeks to help steer the DLC that we develop for you all. This is our commitment to all of you, the players. I hope you all get a chance to enjoy Starhawk – not only with today’s retail release but for the months and years to come!
Old 05-08-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Starhawk (PS3) Thread

Ugh. I think everyone in the Warhawk clan was turned off by the beta or everything that was written by those that tried the demo. I know I was disillusioned by the beta. I'd love to be wrong because I've spent more hours in Warhawk than anywhere else...
Old 05-08-12, 11:53 AM

Now IGN's review is much more positive than some of the early ones. This could be interesting :

<object id="vid_b40642f890c83da42d1b47be627b8c17" class="ign-videoplayer" width="468" height="293" data="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://oystatic.ignimgs.com/src/core/swf/IGNPlayer.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/05/07/starhawk-video-review"/></object>

Closing Comments
Like its protagonist, Starhawk is a half-breed, something out of the ordinary and against tradition. It picks up the narrative slack on the battlefield, where a simple strategy system is an inspiring spin on the third-person shooter.

This hybrid form of thinking and shooting has a layered depth that comes completely to life in multiplayer, where building a fortress to protect a flag is as fun as flying headlong into the enemy’s HQ. Combining these gameplay elements seems so obvious that, in hindsight, it’s a wonder it’s taken this long to take off.

The defining factors of Starhawk will, in all likelihood, garner a strong community to support it for years. Deservedly so: This is multiplayer at its finest, and it’s among the best you’ll find on any platform.

IGN Ratings for Starhawk (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
6.0 Presentation
Cool-looking comic book cutscenes do what they can for a limp story.
8.5 Graphics
There's great visual diversity in the pretty settings plus some nice explosions and effects.
8.0 Sound
There's a ton of great action sounds at any given moment and a killer soundtrack.
9.5 Gameplay
It's awesome to summon structures, build bases, and go on the attack in powerful vehicles. This is a smart shooter that understands what makes games fun.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Unlockable skills and cosmetic customiztion are novelty perks to a multiplayer experience you won't want to let go of.
OVERALL

Amazing

(out of 10)

Old 05-08-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I sure hope that's accurate. The game just lacked the beautiful simplicity of Warhawk.
Old 05-08-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

GameTrailers 8.3 out of 10
Playstation Universe 8.5 out of 10
Game Informer 7.5 out of 10
Game Revolution 3.5 out of 5
Playstation Official Magazine UK 8 out of 10
IGN 9 out of 10
GamesRadar 8 out of 10
PlayStation LifeStyle 7.5 out of 10
Old 05-08-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish they would have just given us more maps and vehicles for Warhawk. I would have paid $60 for that, but not this garbage.
Old 05-08-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Slider
I wish they would have just given us more maps and vehicles for Warhawk. I would have paid $60 for that, but not this garbage.
I concur wholeheartedly. It's like they didn't even understand why people loved Warhawk in the first place.
Old 05-08-12, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll likely get this at some point, but I'm hardly in a hurry. It's just an unnecessary departure from the core game that made Warhawk so amazing. For me, the only game that's ever given me the same "playground" appeal is Battlefield Bad Company 2, and even that was ruined in BF3.

It's just a good thing I don't mind playing old games!
Old 05-08-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

What are the changes that have all you Warhawk players upset? Sorry if I missed it in the comments, but I couldn't figure it out.
Old 05-09-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's difficult to express, but my take is simply that it's more complicated and slower.

Warhawk is an extremely simple, fast and fluid game with tons of auto-aim and no "aim" button, simple but fun vehicles, and huge maps. It was very easy to jump into an compete but had some complexity if you wanted to put some time into it. It was simply a playground with wonderful balance.

The Starhawk beta had shooting that felt more like Gears or Uncharted, had gimped vehicles and an overly complex tower defense element, was slower paced, and felt "smaller". Even as a Warhawk veteran, I didn't feel like I knew what was going on or could compete in the beta, but someone who was good at Gears would probably do just fine.
Old 05-10-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
It's difficult to express, but my take is simply that it's more complicated and slower.

Warhawk is an extremely simple, fast and fluid game with tons of auto-aim and no "aim" button, simple but fun vehicles, and huge maps. It was very easy to jump into an compete but had some complexity if you wanted to put some time into it. It was simply a playground with wonderful balance.

The Starhawk beta had shooting that felt more like Gears or Uncharted, had gimped vehicles and an overly complex tower defense element, was slower paced, and felt "smaller". Even as a Warhawk veteran, I didn't feel like I knew what was going on or could compete in the beta, but someone who was good at Gears would probably do just fine.
It was way too complicated. I played a dozen or so Beta rounds. All I wanted to do was play Warhawk in space. I'm a pretty proficient with Warhawk and I went a number of rounds with K/D ratios of 2-20, 0-12, etc. I found it cluttered, over-complicated and unnecessarily busy. Warhawk is as deep as you want it to be. You could pick it up and run with it. But if you want to master any of the vehicles, especially the Warhawk, you had to play for hundreds of hours to learn. This had a huge barrier to entry for me and I had very little patience for a game that ruined the near-perfect Warhawk balance.
Old 05-10-12, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Nobody has bought a copy of this? I was considering getting this but it doesn't appear that many of the Warhawkers on here are interested in playing it.
Old 05-10-12, 01:38 PM

Mine is coming via New Egg today or tomorrow, but I'm thinking of returning it. I also thought it would be well-received by the Warhawkers here, If they're not interested, I'm not either. Plus Diable III comes out in a few days.
Old 05-10-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure all of us Warhawkers want to be wrong about our initial impressions. But I'm not sure any of us kept our pre-orders after that demo to prove ourselves wrong.
Old 05-10-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't let our lack of enthusiasm for the game color your buying choice. To me, it feels like a much more mainstream game, and there's a good chance you'll like it.

I wanted another Warhawk and didn't get it, but folks who weren't into Warhawk in the first place will likely enjoy the game.
Old 05-10-12, 06:03 PM

I'm picking up my pre-order from Gamestop today.

However, since Jobe said that all maps were going to be free DLC, should we assume the map pack included in the Limited Edition will be free at some point? I already have the PS1 Warhawk, so there's not much incentive to get the Limited Edition if those other perks are going to be free later on.
Old 05-10-12, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I would think that the map pack would be free at some point. Otherwise, if they kept to their word by never releasing the map pack at all (since they can't charge for it), you'd have only a small contingent of people able to play on those maps.
Old 05-12-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Who has their copy and is ready to give it a shot? I got mine yesterday and got everything installed.
Old 05-12-12, 10:54 PM

I sent mine back to New Egg for refund. Just didn't think it was a game I would play much, especially without the support of the guys here. Sorry, Shea.
Old 05-13-12, 03:54 AM

Everybody who was planning on getting this, but didn't, should get Warhawk and the map packs so maybe we can get the weekly games going again this summer. Woo woo woo.

Seriously.

Please.
Old 05-13-12, 09:14 AM

Sure. I actually own the game and have it somewhere. I don't think I ever played it though.
Old 05-13-12, 06:14 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

I'm in. For Warhawk Summer, that is. As for Starhawk, since the map packs will always be free, this is something I might buy down the road at $30 or lower.
Old 05-13-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The game has been out a week already and no reviews from dvdtalkers. That's not a good sign.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.