Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Descendants $11.99 at Bestbuy.com

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 05-06-12, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this at bestbuy.com, We Bought a Zoo is also 11.99.
If you trade and upgrade and use the coupon.com coupon for the Descendants you can get it for $2 and some change.

Last edited by doraemon10; 05-06-12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Descendants $11.99 at Bestbuy.com

You should have put the $2 for the Descendants in the title. I did this this morning. Don't know when the 11.99 ends though --- sometimes these are 2-day sales.
Old 05-06-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
You should have put the $2 for the Descendants in the title. I did this this morning. Don't know when the 11.99 ends though --- sometimes these are 2-day sales.
Yeah I saw it online this morning for $11.99 and don't recall any advance warning of that price. I did this deal at my BB today also.

My store had no shelf tag indicating it was $11.99 and no price tags on the copies, but it rang up for that price.

Your advice to anyone who wants it (in case this is a short-term sale) is good: grab it now. I was mulling it last week; glad I waited.

EDIT: Just checked blu-ray.com where this is being discussed. A member there said he received an email that this is indeed Sunday/Monday pricing only. I checked and I received no such email, but probably better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by Superdaddy; 05-06-12 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on "We Bought a Zoo"... snagged the last copy at my BB using a $5 Trade and Save coupon.. $6.99 + Tax out the door...
Old 05-06-12, 06:30 PM

you can not combine 2 coupons to get descendants for $2( i tried doing this today she did not let me do it) $8 is still a great price.
Old 05-06-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks! Picked up The Descendants this afternoon with U&S. Glad I didn't pick this up when it was first released. Now waiting on a Shame price drop among others...
Old 05-06-12, 07:44 PM

Worked for me $2.12 out the door.
Old 05-06-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Sure you can. A lot of people have had success doing it today and by BBY own corporate policy it should be allowed to use MQ along with the U&S coupons. It doesn't mean all stores will follow the rules, but this has been confirmed again and again with Upper Level CSR.
Worked for me, but only because my gf is more persistent than I am.

CS wouldn't let me combine the offers, so I was stuck with a $5 coupon I had only intended in pairing with the Descendants offer. Picked up Fast Times for $4.99 as I didn't want to leave empty handed when my gf suggested I try the deal on a cashier instead. I asked him if he would combine both coupons and he said "sure."

Descendants for $2.53 out the door.
Old 05-06-12, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tried to get a price adjustment for Descendants and Zoo today after having purchased both last Tuesday. Was given the "you don't get the value of the U&S coupon" nonsense by the cashier and manager for a good 10 minutes before getting "ok, we'll do it just this once, but it's against policy". Why is it every Best Buy interprets policy a different way and yet spouts it as gospel.
Old 05-06-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is also 11.99... And Happy Feet Two...
Old 05-07-12, 01:29 AM

Late to the party but the coupon did work for me as well. I was at the Murfreesoboro TN BB. The clerk balked at it but I told him to run it through as tender rather than a discount and it worked fine. Then had to have help from a manager however as I had picked up Fargo and it wouldn't take the U&S discount. The manager had me purchase it and then immediately did a return and price adjustment. It added about 90 seconds to my trip and I was out the door. I feel like I'm going to run out of BB karma though as my last several trips have actually gone well.
Old 05-07-12, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had just bought The Descendants a few days ago. Took the receipt to them and they gave me $8.00 back, making the price $2.00. Also got We Bought a Zoo. Thanks.
Old 05-07-12, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there anywhere else I can download the coupon? Work blocks the coupons .com website... grrr.
Old 05-07-12, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by conscience
Is there anywhere else I can download the coupon? Work blocks the coupons .com website... grrr.
Try a library, that's a good option as I'm going to assume you don't have a printer at home obviously.
Old 05-07-12, 01:33 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

This is not a 2 day sale. The $11.99 tag shows the deal running through the entire week.
Old 05-07-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
This is not a 2 day sale. The $11.99 tag shows the deal running through the entire week.
Are you sure? I was not prepared with my DVD and coupon today. I don't have the printer at my workplace set up on my computer and would rather avoid asking someone else to print out a coupon for me unless I have to. It would be more convenient to wait until tomorrow to pick it up.

Also, I know this is slightly off topic, but I figure someone will be able to answer pretty quickly. How many DVDs can you take in at one time? No, I wasn't planning on bringing a big stack but figured maybe 2 or 3.
Old 05-07-12, 02:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Are you sure? I was not prepared with my DVD and coupon today. I don't have the printer at my workplace set up on my computer and would rather avoid asking someone else to print out a coupon for me unless I have to. It would be more convenient to wait until tomorrow to pick it up.

Also, I know this is slightly off topic, but I figure someone will be able to answer pretty quickly. How many DVDs can you take in at one time? No, I wasn't planning on bringing a big stack but figured maybe 2 or 3.
Best Buy says 5.

It did scan at 11.99 today (Monday), but there were no signs up where I was.
Old 05-07-12, 04:05 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
The store I was at today over lunch had the $11.99 tag, and I checked the date to verify that it did not expire today since I forgot to bring the $5 coupons.com coupon. I plan on going back tomorrow and will pick up Underworld Awakening 3D.
Old 05-07-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PerryD
The store I was at today over lunch had the $11.99 tag, and I checked the date to verify that it did not expire today since I forgot to bring the $5 coupons.com coupon. I plan on going back tomorrow and will pick up Underworld Awakening 3D.
Great news. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-07-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excellent news that it lasts all week. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get to print it off since my work blocks the site and Best Buy is just so far out of the way from my house.

When does the $5 mgr coupon expire?
Old 05-07-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

May 13, 2012
Old 05-07-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good news that it will last all week!

The YMMV honoring of the coupon is annoying, but I would have taken this for $6.99 as well. Great deal for a release this new.
Old 05-07-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All right, I got my coupon printed and some DVDs to trade in. Everything is already in my car so I won't forget about it. Ready to pick up some movies during lunch tomorrow!
Old 05-07-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
Good news that it will last all week!

The YMMV honoring of the coupon is annoying, but I would have taken this for $6.99 as well. Great deal for a release this new.
Amen about the YMMV coupon business being annoying. Again (like a broken record) the YMMV-ness of coupons at BB is the main reason I dislike them. I get denied about 3 out of 4 times using any manufacturer's coupons at BB. Somehow I managed to get When Harry Met Sally with the U&S + $3 mfg coupon a week or two ago, but I think that was my 1 out of 4 times that I got lucky. The next 3 will probably be denials.

I've been told many times (by just about everyone except BB employees) that a mfg. coupon is just like cash and should be treated that way, but BB employees do what they want. Getting the deal is a YMMV of which employee you get and how they feel (or that store's general policy towards coupons). BB can always get out of any coupon by claiming that a sale price or U&S is a special offer and cannot be combined.

I also confirmed on the phone that the sale on this title and We Bought a Zoo is through Saturday, but the bigger issue will be them running OOS. My store had 3 of each on Monday morning. I thought about driving out there for these knowing they have good reviews (though they'd both be blind buys), but I considered the probability of not being allowed to use the $5 mfg. coupon on The Descendants to be about 80%, and I just knew I would've gotten mad and felt like it wasn't worth it only for We Bought a Zoo for $6.99. For any special round trip to BB I have to add in about $3-$4 of gas + time. If I have any errands near BB in the next day or two, I'll go and give it a try... IF they have any left in stock. At least that way if they say no I don't feel like I wasted time and gas.

Who knows if they'll restock by Saturday or not. Bottom line... I'd rather risk missing these entirely than making a special drive and not being allowed to use the mfg. coupon. Why? Because I expect BD prices will keep going down and not up, so if an item has been this price once it should be this price again in the next year or two somewhere.
Old 05-07-12, 10:26 PM

My Best Buy wouldn't accept both coupons. The girl at customer service was kind of grumpy to begin with. I'm sure that wasn't helping. But I didn't feel like arguing b/c $6.99 (using one of the coupons) was still a good enough price for me. I bit.

It was a blind buy but I love Alexander Payne's other movies & figure I couldn't go wrong for $7.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.