Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Albums with different tracklistings for different regions?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-03-12, 11:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I discovered the other day that the Sam Roberts album, We Were Born in a Flame, has different tracklistings in the US and in Canada. Specifically, the song "The Canadian Dream" does not appear on the US version (could it be the controversial "S.O.C.I.A.L.I.S.M. is the only way?" lyric? )

Further, the Matthew Good Band album, Beautiful Midnight, has an entirely different tracklisting. The US version has a number of songs removed, and they're replaced with songs from MGB's previous album, Underdogs. Some tracks just have different "censored" names. The Canadian version of this album is VASTLY superior, for those willing to seek it out.

I know a lot of Japanese or UK imports have bonus tracks, but they typically still have the exact same songs in the exact same order before the bonus songs.

So...
what other albums are missing songs, or have extra songs in place of missing songs?
Old 05-03-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Albums with different tracklistings for different regions?

Ida Maria's Fortress Round Your Heart has three different versions: a 10-, a 14-, and then a 10-track version (although I think the last one was digital download only). The tracks are in a different order on each, and the 10-track versions don't have all of the same tracks. The first edition contains a track not in the later versions.

It's really annoying.
Old 05-03-12, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Japanese version of Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral has a cover of Dead Souls inserted into the later part of the album.
Old 05-03-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost every Beatles album.
Old 05-03-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The Clash - The Clash
Old 05-03-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

The Bon Scott AC/DC albums were an unholy mess of track listing follies back in the 70's/early 80's.
Old 05-03-12, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The albums Attack of the Grey Lantern and Six by Mansun were different in the US and the rest of the world.

Attack of the Grey Lantern was re-sequenced and had one song substituted with another, while Six was not only re-sequenced, but had 2 songs cut out, 1 song cut from the 8 minute original to a 3 minute remix, and the final song was shortened as well. Considering both albums are essentially concept albums, the original versions are obviously superior. Six also featured a completely different album cover, removing the original painted cover, and replacing it with a generic logo cover

Last edited by Labor; 05-03-12 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Elvis Costello "This Year's Model"

UK has "I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea" and "Night Rally" and no "Radio, Radio" included.

US has "Radio, Radio" but no "I Don't Want To Go to Chelsea" and "Night Rally".

(Different album covers, also)
Old 05-03-12, 05:06 PM

UK version of Hendrix's Are You Experienced? is different because it has "Remember" and "Red House", but I forgot what the US version has instead of those. Different jacket as well.

The Beatles records from the first one up to Revolver are all different, but there were so many exchanges of songs that there were extra LPs in the US like Yesterday and Today and The Early Beatles.
Old 05-03-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

The 60s Animals albums
Old 05-03-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
The Japanese version of Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral has a cover of Dead Souls inserted into the later part of the album.
Even moreso, the US and UK versions of Further Down The Spiral differ significantly in content and track order.
Old 05-03-12, 09:10 PM

The Strokes replaced the song New York City Cops from their first album because of 9/11.

From wikipedia:
The U.S. CD version has "When It Started" (2:57) as track 9 instead of "New York City Cops".
Old 05-04-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Deep Purple - Fireball

U.S. version has "Strange Kind Of Woman" on track.

UK version has "Demon's Eye" instead.
Old 05-04-12, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably every single album to come from a European/UK band.
Old 05-04-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

It used to happen all the time in the 60's and 70's before record companies became huge international corporations. Different record companies would release the albums in each country, and sometimes they wanted different track listings or song orders.

The Beatles, Hendrix, Uriah Heep, AC/DC - all had different track listings in different countries. Different album titles at times, too. In the 80's Geffen even went so far as to have Whitesnake have new guitarist John Sykes record guitar parts for their Slide It In album (and then had it remixed).
Old 05-04-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2 great albums, regardless of US or UK versions.
Originally Posted by Labor
The albums Attack of the Grey Lantern and Six by Mansun were different in the US and the rest of the world.

Attack of the Grey Lantern was re-sequenced and had one song substituted with another, while Six was not only re-sequenced, but had 2 songs cut out, 1 song cut from the 8 minute original to a 3 minute remix, and the final song was shortened as well. Considering both albums are essentially concept albums, the original versions are obviously superior. Six also featured a completely different album cover, removing the original painted cover, and replacing it with a generic logo cover
Old 05-04-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Not "different tracklistings" per se, but the European versions of a metric asston of CDs from 80s bands had extra tracks. Most of the early albums from The Cult, The Cure, etc. were created with vinyl in mind, and were well short of the 74 minutes that a CD could hold. So I guess European labels put extra tracks on the CDs to get people to buy them. US labels hated it, however, and the RIAA whined to the Federal Trade Commission, who banned for resale any import CD for which a domestic version was available. Although the rule was only around for a couple of years, it was the final nail in the coffin for most "CD-only" record stores. Atlanta CD, for example, was teetering on the edge financially, and when the feds told them they couldn't import CDs anymore... they were out of business in a couple of months.
Old 05-04-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It's rarer to find an album that is identical in all territories than one with different editions. Almost all Japanese CDs contain extra bonus tracks not found anywhere else because of their exorbitant pricing structure.
Old 05-05-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Another one: the US version of Duran Duran's Rio album was released on Harvest Records, and was identical to the version released in the UK and elsewhere. However, Harvest's parent company - Capitol Records - became convinced that Duran Duran would be the Next Big Thing™, so they bought out DD's contract from Harvest and hired producer David Kershenbaum to remix a bunch of tracks from the album. Kershenbaum had already remixed some tracks for 12" singles and an EP called Carnival, so he edited some of those down to album length, remixed a few other songs, and Capitol put out the "new and improved" Rio album, which was a massive hit in the US. To this day, the US version has different mixes of "Rio", "My Own Way", "Hungry Like The Wolf", "Lonely In Your Nightmare", "Hold Back the Rain" (and, possibly, "New Religion") than other countries.

I know all this because I was a huge Duran Duran fan back in the day, and I got in to collecting records because of them. I owned 6 different versions of Rio: - both US versions, the UK version, the Japanese version, the Dutch version and the German version. I noticed something odd about them: the inner sleeve has a picture of the band on the roof of a building at night (picture here). On the British version of the sleeve - and only the British version - the picture is flipped, with Andy Taylor on the far left instead of the far right. I've never been able to find out why that is.
Old 05-05-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's rarer to find an album that is identical in all territories than one with different editions. Almost all Japanese CDs contain extra bonus tracks not found anywhere else because of their exorbitant pricing structure.
Back when I was collecting CDs, I used to search high and low for Japanese versions. They were always the best possible release. I have the Japanese "The Holy Bible" by Manic Street Preachers which was a bit of a Moby Dick for me back in the ninties. One of the best albums of the ninties, IMO.

I also found the Japanese version of Flying Burrito Brothers' "Guilded Palace of Sin" in an NYC record shop about twenty years ago. At the time, that album was long out of print in the US and basically impossible to find. I was really into Gram Parsons, it was a big deal for me to finally have the album. I paid something like $50 for that copy.

Kids these days, they have no idea.
Old 05-05-12, 09:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Keane: Hope & Fears - different track order and and the UK version has the extra song: 'On A Day Like Today'

Kaiser Chiefs: 'Future is Medieval' title changed to 'Start the Revolution Without Me' for US release with different track listing and removing 4 songs from the import edition and replacing different songs.
Old 05-06-12, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

The early Mott The Hoople (pre-Columbia) have different versions.
Old 05-06-12, 06:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The Cardigans-Life has two very different track listings.
Old 05-06-12, 10:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Back when I was collecting CDs, I used to search high and low for Japanese versions. They were always the best possible release. I have the Japanese "The Holy Bible" by Manic Street Preachers which was a bit of a Moby Dick for me back in the ninties. One of the best albums of the ninties, IMO.

I also found the Japanese version of Flying Burrito Brothers' "Guilded Palace of Sin" in an NYC record shop about twenty years ago. At the time, that album was long out of print in the US and basically impossible to find. I was really into Gram Parsons, it was a big deal for me to finally have the album. I paid something like $50 for that copy.

Kids these days, they have no idea.
in regards to the Manic's 'Holy Bible'

"On 6 December 2004, an expanded version of The Holy Bible was released, containing two CDs and a DVD. Disc 1 comprised a digitally re-mastered version of the original album plus four live tracks. The DVD features an interview with the band, footage of TV and festival appearances and promo videos. The second CD includes a remix of the album by Tom Lord-Alge. The remixed version had been intended for release in the US, but this never happened "for well-documented reasons", according to James Dean Bradfield.The band felt the second mix was superior to the version originally released. As Bradfield puts it: "For once we got something back from the American record company—who we despised—and it was brilliant"
Old 05-07-12, 04:43 PM

I have that Manics set

The US mix is nice, but I think the original mix is far superior. The US mix is overall glossier and more, I dunno...clean? Words that I think anyone who has ever heard The Holy Bible would agree have no place in any description of that album. The UK mix is rougher around the edges and fits the album far better.