Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember Musicland?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-26-12, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I was watching Skateland a movie on Directv and one of the characters worked at Musicland.

Anyone remember that store from the 80's and share your experiences?

Back then they still sold LPs and cassettes and I think I bought Purple Rain there.

Old 04-26-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: Anyone remember Musicland?

I remember Musicland stores in the shopping malls. I always preferred Camelot, though, since they had a better selection of the stuff I liked. The best one, though, was Hastings because they had a really selection of heavy metal and alt rock, and were still selling LPs while everyone else was switching over to CDs.
Old 04-26-12, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

In college when Def Leppard's Adrenalize was released the Musicland just off campus had an entire row devoted to the new CD release. Seemed a bit overkill...
Old 04-26-12, 11:03 AM

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,092 Posts

A real conversation between 16-year-old me and my mother circa 1996:

MOM: Ugh, you bought another CD?
ME: Yeah, what's the big deal?
MOM: I don't know how you can just plunk down $20 on a CD without thinking twice.
ME: ...You think a CD costs $20?
MOM: Don't think that I don't know that.
ME: I don't pay more than $12 for a CD. Most of what I get is through BMG and it's like $3 apiece.
MOM: Well I don't know about BMG but I know there aren't CDs for $12 in stores.
ME: ...Where are you buying CDs?!
MOM: When I buy you and your sister CDs for Christmas at Musicland in the mall the sale price is usually $18 or $19. And that's down from the regular $26 price. I know how much these things cost! You're wasting money!
ME: ...

Thanks, Musicland, for creeping into the malls of our great nation and fooling parents into paying way too much for CDs and then getting even more angry than they need to be over how they think their teenagers are spending their pocketmoney.
Old 04-26-12, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I was cheap back then so I would only loiter in there while cruising the mall.

I remember the jingle -

"Musicland - we bring entertainment to life (echo) to life to life to life!"
Old 04-26-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes Musicland was probably the next most prominent record store around here in the late 80's to early 90's when I was in HS. The biggest one being Peaches/Coconuts. I also remember Sound Warehouse.
Old 04-26-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
In college when Def Leppard's Adrenalize was released the Musicland just off campus had an entire row devoted to the new CD release. Seemed a bit overkill...
While it didn't sell 20 million copies like Hysteria, it did sell 3 million in the US, debuted at #1 and was a huge album regardless.
Old 04-26-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Wasn't Musicland yet another brand of the FYE/Sam Goody/Suncoast/etc. company, or am I thinking of something else?
Old 04-26-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I spent hours browsing at Musiclands while waiting for my wife, waiting for a movie to start etc. Never bought ANYTHING at those overpriced shitholes.
Old 04-26-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Wasn't Musicland yet another brand of the FYE/Sam Goody/Suncoast/etc. company, or am I thinking of something else?
Yes I think you are correct. At least around here the Musicland's and Sam Goody's seemed interchangeable. Not sure about FYE - we never had them here but I think Coconuts was linked to them.
Old 04-26-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I used to wonder how they stayed in business with the prices they charged. Everyone else finally got smart too.
Old 04-26-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I remember the jingle -

"Musicland - we bring entertainment to life (echo) to life to life to life!"
A link?

I think I spent more time browsing there than actually buying stuff and it was usually when my Mom was at Macys or some other boring store.

I think this one kid was sampling Walk This Way by Run DMC and his dad did not like "Penis flying up in the air" as mentioned in the lyrics and told his son we are not buying this album and left the store.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 04-29-12 at 05:35 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 04-26-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to browse their massive book/catalog all the time. They had it on a riser near the register. I would always order the cassette singles I couldn't find on the shelves. Back in the day I was into Teddy Riley and that dude would always do remixes that was always the flip side on the cassette singles(or, if you will, Maxi-singles). I think I might still have a few of those around.

I always liked that they displayed the Billboard charts near their NEW offerings. I would buy unheard of singles and CDs just based on the songwriters/producers I found on their charts.
Old 04-26-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Musicland Group ran Musicland, Sam Goody, Suncoast, On Cue, and Media Play stores. On Cue was later just rebranded as Sam Goody towards the end of the company's life.

Best Buy bought them out, but the company bled money so they sold it off to TransWorld Entertainment (FYE).

Media Play was my favorite store. Lots of great memories shopping there when I was younger.
Old 04-26-12, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

^Gotcha, I think the sale must have happened before or around the same time that we first got FYE around here, because all I remember is walking around the mall and realizing these places were all part of the same company because everything had the same price stickers on it (and the same riduculously overpriced product)
Old 04-26-12, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first is from '81, the second from '85?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8j5-gxQqtas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0HPkPhzViYw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Personally, I avoided the mall music stores, too expensive. I would buy at Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc.
Old 04-26-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I remember shopping at all of those stores. Well, I mostly browsed, since I didn't have much cash. Hastings was the best.
Old 04-26-12, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I browsed Musicland quite a bit but never bought. Had brief experiences with Camelot and Peaches and preferred those. But I bought most of my music at Tower.
Old 04-26-12, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another one, from '93. And if anybody is wondering, they filed for bankruptcy in '06.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b4plS_SHYUw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-26-12, 09:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Media Play was my favorite store. Lots of great memories shopping there when I was younger.
I worked at a Media Play for 4 months. The single worst job experience I've ever had. Total nightmare. I worked with the biggest bunch of a-holes. We used to get patted down in front of customers if we needed to leave the building. The people who did inventory were soul-dead. And MP still owes me $200 to this day. Are they completely gone? Sorry.
Old 04-26-12, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I worked at the Wherehouse in the 80s. Selling albums, cassettes and hardcore Swedish Erotica video.
Old 04-26-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I worked at a Media Play for 4 months. The single worst job experience I've ever had. Total nightmare. I worked with the biggest bunch of a-holes. We used to get patted down in front of customers if we needed to leave the building. The people who did inventory were soul-dead. And MP still owes me $200 to this day. Are they completely gone? Sorry.
The whole chain went under in early 2006.

Best variety of music and movies at any retail store where I grew up. I knew people that worked there and I never heard horror stories. Weird they treated you like that.

Last edited by My Other Self; 04-26-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Musicland Group ran Musicland, Sam Goody, Suncoast, On Cue, and Media Play stores. On Cue was later just rebranded as Sam Goody towards the end of the company's life.

Best Buy bought them out, but the company bled money so they sold it off to TransWorld Entertainment (FYE).

Yeah, I remember Musicland - used to work at one back in the 80's.

Now here's something you might not know, or have ever been aware of...

FYE started out as Record Town Inc. (part of Trans World Entertainment), which included Record Town, Tape World, Peaches and Coconuts amongst it's stores for most of the 80's. They were an independent chain until probably the early 90's, when they went corporate.

I forget the exact timing, but somewhere between 1996 and 2000, TWE started acquiring a bunch of other chains that were either failing, or about to. They merged with Camelot/Specs/The Wall, bought out Musicland Group (and the stores mentioned above), bought the Strawberries/Waxie Maxie chain, and a few other smaller ones along the way . (Most recent was the Manifest chain in the South East US). Other current holdings include Second Spin and Wherehouse.

Around 2001, with so many store banners under their name, they decided to re-brand to the FYE (short for For Your Entertainment) name for most of their locations for easier use. They are currently the country's largest music retailer that isn't a big box (Wal-mart, Best Buy) or online site (Amazon, I-Tunes).
Old 04-26-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Yeah, I remember Musicland - used to work at one back in the 80's.

Now here's something you might not know, or have ever been aware of...

FYE started out as Record Town Inc. (part of Trans World Entertainment), which included Record Town, Tape World, Peaches and Coconuts amongst it's stores for most of the 80's. They were an independent chain until probably the early 90's, when they went corporate.

I forget the exact timing, but somewhere between 1996 and 2000, TWE started acquiring a bunch of other chains that were either failing, or about to. They merged with Camelot/Specs/The Wall, bought out Musicland Group (and the stores mentioned above), bought the Strawberries/Waxie Maxie chain, and a few other smaller ones along the way . (Most recent was the Manifest chain in the South East US). Other current holdings include Second Spin and Wherehouse.

Around 2001, with so many store banners under their name, they decided to re-brand to the FYE (short for For Your Entertainment) name for most of their locations for easier use. They are currently the country's largest music retailer that isn't a big box (Wal-mart, Best Buy) or online site (Amazon, I-Tunes).
Yep, we had a Record Town in our mall when I was growing up. The only reason I recall it was because there was a big 50s Chevy in the actual store in front of one of the windows. They opened up an actual FYE store in the same mall, and they both operated at the same time for at least a year until they finally closed the Record Town. I very rarely shopped there but I remember getting the Busta Rhymes CD "Anarchy" because it was the cheapest price the week it came out.

I don't see FYE lasting much longer. Mall record stores are a dying breed. The only one we had in all of Sacramento closed about 2 years ago. The closest one now is over an hour away at a mall in the sticks.
Old 04-26-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, we had a Record Town in our mall when I was growing up. The only reason I recall it was because there was a big 50s Chevy in the actual store in front of one of the windows. They opened up an actual FYE store in the same mall, and they both operated at the same time for at least a year until they finally closed the Record Town. I very rarely shopped there but I remember getting the Busta Rhymes CD "Anarchy" because it was the cheapest price the week it came out.

I don't see FYE lasting much longer. Mall record stores are a dying breed. The only one we had in all of Sacramento closed about 2 years ago. The closest one now is over an hour away at a mall in the sticks.
It's hard to say. They've been tolling those death bells for Mall record stores, and record stores in general, for years now, but they keep on kicking. Here in the North East, we've even got one of the larger indie chains - Newburry Comics - that is actually starting to move their locations into Malls, instead of the normal strip locations they've been in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.