Reload this Page >

DC to publish Watchmen prequel?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 12-01-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

I ssaw Kevin Smith twwittered a blurb from bleeding cool that DC plans to publish a prequel to the series.

from bleeding cool.....
"We’ve had his name mentioned to us before, regarding this project. There is circumstantial evidence to support it.

Well, today Bleeding Cool had it confirmed. Not officially of course, don’t be ridiculous. But we’ve been informed quite conclusively from a reliable source at DC Comics that Andy Kubert is drawing one of the four Watchmen prequel miniseries we’ve heard so much about. Taking one of the principle characters from the series and telling a pre-Watchmen tale.

But I understand he may not be the only Kubert getting involved with this."
Old 12-01-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: DC to publish Watchmen prequel?

Were the Simpsons right?! Are we getting Watchman Babies?!
Old 12-01-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's been in the planning phase for a while now. It's the second hush-huh, non-disclosure project DC had going (the first being the New 52).

I guess after DC offered the Watchmen rights to Moore and he rejected it, they decided to go for broke.
Old 12-02-11, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I totally missed the story when it happened. How do you just say no to the rights to Watchman? That has to be a nice chunk of change.
Old 12-02-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I totally missed the story when it happened. How do you just say no to the rights to Watchman? That has to be a nice chunk of change.
Alan Moore has already turned down a lot of money for the movie adaptations of his works. So he has a history of turning down lots of money if it means his name would appear on something he doesn't approve of.

A pretty in-depth article on this:
http://www.comicsbeat.com/2011/12/01...on-watchmen-2/
Old 12-02-11, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well la di da Mr. Moore! I wish I could just say now to trash bags full of cash! It must be nice to be British and ethics and morals!
Old 12-03-11, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I'll take "Things that are going to suck" for $200, Alex!
Old 12-03-11, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

This is probably going to turn out very badly. DC knows this but also knows the Watchmen name alone will make it a best seller.
Old 12-04-11, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

So Moore owns the rights to The Watchmen, and they will revert to him fully when the graphic novel goes out of print? But until then, WB can do whatever they want with the property? Strange contract.

It makes sense to me that Moore turned down the deal. Why would he want to plow over ground that he left behind 25 years ago? It's not likely to get his creative juices flowing. Also, artistic works often turn out badly when the artist revisits something he did as a young man, because he's not the same person anymore.
Old 12-04-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
So Moore owns the rights to The Watchmen, and they will revert to him fully when the graphic novel goes out of print? But until then, WB can do whatever they want with the property? Strange contract.

It makes sense to me that Moore turned down the deal. Why would he want to plow over ground that he left behind 25 years ago? It's not likely to get his creative juices flowing. Also, artistic works often turn out badly when the artist revisits something he did as a young man, because he's not the same person anymore.
Just look at Frank Miller
Old 12-05-11, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Yeah, that's what I've heard. There is a stipulation that the rights to Watchmen and V for Vendetta will revert to Moore and Gibbons/LLoyd if the books ever go out of print.

At the time, the mid-1980s, it was virtually unheard of for companies like Marvel and DC to keep things in print perpetually. There were very few paperback collections available at that time, and if you wanted to read old stories it meant you had to hunt down back issues.

Ironically, it was Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Dark Knight Returns that started the TPB revolution.
Old 12-05-11, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

In addition to what Josh-da-man wrote, this is what Wikipedia has on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchme..._and_reception
Disagreements about the ownership of the story ultimately led Alan Moore to sever ties with DC Comics. Not wanting to work under a work for hire arrangement, Moore and Gibbons had a reversion clause in their contract for Watchmen. Speaking at the 1985 San Diego Comic-Con, Moore said "The way it works, if I understand it, is that DC owns it for the time they're publishing it, and then it reverts to Dave and me, so we can make all the money from the Slurpee cups." For Watchmen, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons received eight percent of the series' earnings. Moore explained in 1986 that his understanding was that when "DC have not used the characters for a year, they're ours." Both Moore and Gibbons said DC paid them "a substantial amount of money" to retain the rights. Moore added, "So basically they're not ours, but if DC is working with the characters in our interests then they might as well be. On the other hand, if the characters have outlived their natural life span and DC doesn't want to do anything with them, then after a year we've got them and we can do what we want with them, which I'm perfectly happy with."

Moore said he left DC in 1989 due to the language in his contracts for Watchmen and his V for Vendetta series with artist David Lloyd. Moore felt the reversion clauses were ultimately meaningless, because DC did not intend to let the publications go out of print. He told The New York Times in 2006, "I said, 'Fair enough,' [...] 'You have managed to successfully swindle me, and so I will never work for you again.'"
As the Wikipedia article references, the vast majority of comic book creation was done as work-for-hire, so the reversion clause was fairly revolutionary, if ultimately ineffective in this instance.
Old 12-05-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So does Moore get a percentage of every TPB sold? If so, he's still making a small fortune to this day!
Old 12-05-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's virtually the same deal DC had with William Moulton Marston for Wonder Woman. As long as DC continued to produce a Wonder Woman comic, they could keep the rights to the character. If the comic stopped, Marston's heirs would regain control of the character. It surprised me to learn that that deal lasted into the 1980s and DC had to produce a mini-series (The Legend of Wonder Woman) in the gap between Wonder Woman Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 or they would have lost her before the reboot.

DC eventually bought the character outright.
Old 12-05-11, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

It was that weird contract with Marston that kept Wonder Woman being published for many years when sales justified its cancellation. Wonder Woman has always worked better outside of comics in terms of popularity, as much as DC has tried to foist upon the readership in recent years that she is the equal of Superman and Batman.
Old 12-05-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

There is historical justification in making Wonder Woman the equal of Superman and Batman. Ron Goulart once wrote that Wonder Woman sold a million plus copies every month back at her peak, and that she was the best-selling superhero of all.
Old 12-05-11, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

There is historical justification in making Wonder Woman the equal of Superman and Batman. Ron Goulart once wrote that Wonder Woman sold a million plus copies every month back at her peak, and that she was the best-selling superhero of all.
But Captain Marvel outsold them all, and he's kinda the red-headed stepchild of the DC Universe.

I had no idea that DC bought the rights back, because I had always thought that WW was published through thick and thin because of that contract even when it sold dismally (and I don't think it was that long ago that it was selling dismally). But Busiek himself said that they bought the rights outright, so there you go.

I had thought that back when DC Direct cancelled their Watchman figure offerings for the 15th anniversary, that they did so because Moore still held some right of refusal, but maybe that was just them trying to mend fences. You'd think by now they'd have learned after their sequels to things like the Dark Night Returns and Kingdom Come that you don't go to the well again after such a long hiatus, but hey, maybe they can do something new with quali... hahaha, sorry, couldn't finish that thought with a straight face.

If they had the concept of Elseworlds or Hypertime or whatever way back when, I wonder how different it would have been with the actual Charlton characters.
Old 12-25-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watchmen 2 Art:

Part 1: Night Owl
Night Owl by Andy & Joe Kubert

Part 2: The Comedian
Comedian by JG Jones.

Old 12-26-11, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rumors circulating that Amanda Conner is working on a Silk Spectre mini.
Old 12-26-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is Amanda Connor?
Old 12-26-11, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Who is Amanda Connor?
The best Power Girl artist.
Old 12-26-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-26-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
The best Power Girl artist.
Looks the same as all the other artists who make gigantic boobed superheroins.
Old 12-27-11, 09:55 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like J. Michael Straczynski is involved, so I guess this will never come out -- at least, the end will never come out.
Old 12-27-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonF
Looks like J. Michael Straczynski is involved, so I guess this will never come out -- at least, the end will never come out.
Or someone else will finish it based on his notes. Or it will be finished, but there will be a several year gap between issues.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.