Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-29-12, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an a HDTV or a blu ray player so I still buy DVDs exclusively. I have a fairly small collection (maybe about 100 titles). Anyone else still buy them?
Old 04-29-12, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Am I the only person who still buys DVDs?

I was buying them regularly as recently as February. Since I went HD and got a Blu-ray player, BDs make up the majority of my purchases. I do still buy some stuff on dvd but not nearly as much.
Old 04-29-12, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I still have CRT and DVD. When the CRT dies I'll replace it with a HDTV. Most of the content I purchase is older TV programming or "catalog" type movies, both of which rarely receive a Blu-ray release, so I have little interest in that format. I purchase 10-20 DVD titles per month and it seems to be increasing with all the studios "clearancing" their DVD releases.
Old 04-29-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I still buy DVDs for movies I might use in class since my university doesn't have blu-ray players.
Old 04-29-12, 03:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With the return of the flea markets, I'll be buying them by the bagful again. On average, they're $2/each (generally $1, $2, $3 max), so it doesn't sting as much to take chances. I like to stock up on old (and newer) horror movies, which often won't make it to blu-ray.
Old 04-29-12, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not and will not ever buy anything else but SD DVD's. My collection is too large and they look just fine to me on my TV. I absolutely have no need to change to Blu-ray ever! Nuff Said-
Old 04-29-12, 04:15 PM
Banned

Since certain worthless directors refuse to put out the real versions of their movies, I'll stick with the dvds. Same with the Star Trek movies. Until they put out the cuts of the movies that were on the 2 discs sets from a few years ago, I'll keep the dvds. Or The Thing, which the blu-ray doesn't have the right features. Or Predator, which as everyone knows, has a blu-ray transfer for the simple minded.

Keeping buying dvds all depends on wether the blu-ray has a defective transfer like Predator, or doesn't have the right features or cuts like the Star Trek movies and Star Wars. If you care about film, you'll buy the best cut of the movie with the proper features, even if it's on dvd.
Old 04-29-12, 05:46 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

No Aceguy, you're not the only person who still buys DVDs. My entire collection is DVD, I don't have a blu-ray player, don't plan on getting one unless my DVD player dies at which point I may look into buying a blu-ray player and subsequently blu-ray discs. At this point in time I don't really care about blu-ray, my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing. I'll continue to buy standard DVDs until it becomes more advantageous to buy blu-ray. Probably by the time I'm ready to start buying blu-rays, the next new technology will have surfaced, everyone will have moved to it, and I'll have to bear their derision at not having moved along with it as well. Can't win for losing. -kd5-
Old 04-29-12, 06:12 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Yesterday I purchased two Full TV Series, one Mini-Series, nine Movies and four Documentaries, on VHS while "Garage Sailing", all for FOUR BUX!

I have three VHS Players in Storage in case the one I'm currently using dies. As long as they work and as long as I can fined something on VHS for CHEAP, I'll continue using them.
Old 04-29-12, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I still buy them. Just over a week ago I went to Entertainment Outlet on 14th Street in Manhattan and bought 5 DVDs containing 11 movies for a total of about $69 + tax, all from the classic film section. I once lucked out there with a 2-for-$10 deal, where I spent $30 on 6 DVDs containing a total of 18 films, all classics, all legit studio releases.

I go to Book Off for used DVDs and HQ Video for Japanese releases. When Book Off was still selling VHS, I was buying those because the prices were so good and I could pick up stuff I wanted to see but didn't want to pay a lot of money for and didn't care if it was on DVD or not. That's how I finally saw MAGNOLIA, AMADEUS and OUT OF AFRICA.
Old 04-29-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
I have not and will not ever buy anything else but SD DVD's. My collection is too large and they look just fine to me on my TV. I absolutely have no need to change to Blu-ray ever! Nuff Said-
Grandma said the same thing about VHS. She's dead now. Coincidence?
Old 04-29-12, 09:21 PM
Cool New Member

I'm glad there is still support for the format. I've watched Blu-Rays before and I am not impressed. I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray. DVD is dying slowly, and it will be around for at least a few years (I say 5-10). I really don't care about the DVD and Blu-Ray quality difference, I care more about watching movies with good quality and awesome sound. DVD delivers all I want, and besides, you can find some good titles in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart (The Green Mile, bare bones but so worth it).
Old 04-29-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Aceguy
I'm glad there is still support for the format. I've watched Blu-Rays before and I am not impressed. I find that an upscaled DVD will sometimes look as good, if not better, than a Blu-Ray. DVD is dying slowly, and it will be around for at least a few years (I say 5-10). I really don't care about the DVD and Blu-Ray quality difference, I care more about watching movies with good quality and awesome sound. DVD delivers all I want, and besides, you can find some good titles in the $5 bin at Wal-Mart (The Green Mile, bare bones but so worth it).
Ignorance is bliss...
Old 04-30-12, 07:39 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
Ignorance is bliss...
Why is it ignorance? If DVDs provide everything we need, why is it ignorance not to jump on the blu-ray bandwagon? Or are you alluding to the fact that blu-ray has its own bargain bins? -kd5-
Old 04-30-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Robert
Ignorance is bliss...
Really. I'd been buying DVD's since the day they came out and amassed over 3000 of them, but once I saw the improvement on blu-ray it was time to move on and I haven't looked back. Did the same with laserdiscs. It's evolution.
Old 04-30-12, 07:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
No Aceguy, you're not the only person who still buys DVDs. My entire collection is DVD, I don't have a blu-ray player, don't plan on getting one unless my DVD player dies at which point I may look into buying a blu-ray player and subsequently blu-ray discs. At this point in time I don't really care about blu-ray, my DVDs have been more than satisfactory for our movie and TV series viewing. I'll continue to buy standard DVDs until it becomes more advantageous to buy blu-ray. Probably by the time I'm ready to start buying blu-rays, the next new technology will have surfaced, everyone will have moved to it, and I'll have to bear their derision at not having moved along with it as well. Can't win for losing. -kd5-
It became more advantageous to buy BDs years ago. I've bought dozens and dozens of BDs that were cheaper than their DVD counterparts, more than making up the cost of the player ($40).

I still buy lots of DVDs too. The coexist peacefully in my reality, but it would have been a big mistake of me to not go blu, IMO.
Old 04-30-12, 07:56 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

I have a good reason to keep an old format alive, there are some TV Shows and Movies that were released on VHS that simply aren't available on DVD OR Blu-Ray. Of course, I have to thank the people who sell used videos (any Format) at Garage and Yard Sales, as these can be picked up for PENNIES on the Dollar! Among the Gems I found while searching through the 'hoods last year I was over a dozen Movie Serials (Totaling almost 150 Chapters) on VHS for ONE DOLLAR! Then there are the four COMPLETE Star Trek Series that I snatched up for 100 Bux at another sale. This past Holiday Season I did pick up a Blu-Ray Player for about 50 Bux during a "National Day of Insanity" Sale at my Local Mall, and caved in and ordered the Original Star Trek Series on Blue-Ray, but that was my "Christmas Splurge". VHS, DVD or Blu-Ray, if it plays in my Machines, and is available for the right price, I'll "Git it while the gittin's good!"

One other thing, If I have a Movie on VHS, and it now comes out on DVD or Blu-Ray, do I run out and purchase a replacement? NO WAY! That would set me back $10.00 or more! My VHS Copy is perfectly good (Even if it's "Full Screen"), and I also adhere to the adage "If it ain't Broke, DON'T FIX IT!"

Last edited by Regulus; 04-30-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-12, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
It became more advantageous to buy BDs years ago. I've bought dozens and dozens of BDs that were cheaper than their DVD counterparts, more than making up the cost of the player ($40).

I still buy lots of DVDs too. The coexist peacefully in my reality, but it would have been a big mistake of me to not go blu, IMO.
The price issue is really what sold me. It irked me to see blu-rays that were cheaper than the DVD. Some were even combo packs that came with a DVD anyway. You might as well buy a blu-ray player just so you have more options. That doesn't mean you have to start buying blu-rays, but if you see one that's cheaper than the DVD, it will save you money.
Old 04-30-12, 09:25 AM

I've had a Blu-ray player for 3 years, yet I still buy quite a few DVDs. Just last week, got season 2 of "Car 54, Where Are You?" on DVD.

There's a LOT of older stuff like that which will NEVER be released on Blu-ray!
Old 04-30-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I still buy DVDs for movies I might use in class since my university doesn't have blu-ray players.
I'm in the same boat. I didn't jump on the BD bandwagon until last year, and then I wasn't thinking about the fact that my university didn't have the appropriate technology. Had to improvise lesson plans when I couldn't show Food Inc. one day!

I try to buy films in the best format available. I just purchased some DVDs from Kino since the films were not available on BD.
Old 04-30-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I actually prefer using VHS in the classroom when showing film clips because you can cue a tape up to the particular clip and not have to plow through an FBI warning, ads, the menu and several chapter stops. When I have to show a Miyazaki clip in class using a Disney DVD, it's a nightmare trying to set it up. And with some DVDs you have to set up the language and subtitles in advance because they don't let you switch once you're into the film. I think that's the case with the Disney DVDs.
Old 04-30-12, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot
That doesn't mean you have to start buying blu-rays, but if you see one that's cheaper than the DVD, it will save you money.
SECONDED!

That's the reason why I purchased the original Star Trek on Blu-Ray. It was about $50.00 CHEAPER than DVD, and it had BOTH the Original SFX (For the Purists) along with the reworked SFX. (For those who'd rather have "Updated' CGI SFX. IMO It's just as good one way as it is with the other.

Now if they'd just rework the SFX on those old 1930s Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers Serials.
Old 04-30-12, 10:42 AM
Banned

I collect all formats. I have 2 or 3 different brands of VCRs in storage and a back up DVD player just in case my main player breaks down. I'll bet anything my DVD player dies before my VCR though. I only have one Blu-ray player, and about 25 titles right now so I don't watch them very often. I've noticed a VCR will last YEARS longer than a top of the line DVD player would, so if I come across a dime tape while garage "sailing" I'll pick it up if I don't already have it. Plus, the VHS artwork is usually much better than the DVD/Blu-ray counterpart.
Old 04-30-12, 10:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I still buy plenty of dvds, although it's mostly stuff not offered on blu-ray like History channel shows and tv on dvd.

If the price is a lot cheaper than blu, I'll go with the dvd. I picked season 1 of Downton Abbey on dvd for $14.99 at Sam's. Would have cost me 10 dollars more to own it on blu-ray.

The upconvert features on blu-ray player really makes dvd look darn near BD quality. I just watched my SD of Titanic and I was amazed at the details I could see. I could easily see the many small wrinkles in old Rose's face and individual strains of hair in the closeups.
Old 04-30-12, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceguy
I don't have an a HDTV or a blu ray player so I still buy DVDs exclusively. I have a fairly small collection (maybe about 100 titles). Anyone else still buy them?
Doesn't look like you really buy them either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.