Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Series Should I Be Reading Right Now?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 04-25-12, 10:56 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I haven't read monthly comics in 20+ years. And I was thinking about trying to pick up a few current series. I'm open to anything. But there's so many titles out there it's a little overwhelming.

Is there anything that's really hot right now? What series do you recommend?

Thanks.
Old 04-25-12, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Which Series Should I Be Reading Right Now?

Scott Snyder is very hot on Batman right now. Batman and Flash are my two favorite books currently. Nightwing and Batman & Robin are also pretty good, but the rest of the Batbooks are pretty mediocre.

Grant Morrison is typically a good writer, and I liked him on Batman, but his current Action Comics isn't as good in my opinion. The main Superman title started out poorly, but it improved greatly last month when a new writer came on board.

Geoff Johns has been writing Green Lantern since 2004. Its been consistently good with only a few rough bumps here and there. He is also currently writing Justice League which isn't nearly as good.

I haven't read the main Marvel books since the 90s, but the Ultimate universe has been pretty good lately. It was pretty rough a few years ago during the whole Ultimatum event, but it has improved drastically lately. It also helps that Brian Michael Bendis has been the writer of Ultimate Spider-Man ever since it began in 2000. He has been writing Spider-Man longer than Stan Lee did...

Some people don't like Bendis' style of dialogue. I didn't either originally, but it grows on you. Just be warned though that the Ultimate universe is very different from the main universe, especially post-Ultimatum.
Old 04-26-12, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Scott Snyder is very hot on Batman right now. Batman and Flash are my two favorite books currently. Nightwing and Batman & Robin are also pretty good, but the rest of the Batbooks are pretty mediocre.
Are those (Batman, Flash, Nightwing, Batman & Robin) the New 52 versions you're talking about?

Are there any other good New 52 series? That would probably be a good place to start. I can easily go back to the first issue and get caught up.

I haven't read the main Marvel books since the 90s, but the Ultimate universe has been pretty good lately. It was pretty rough a few years ago during the whole Ultimatum event, but it has improved drastically lately. It also helps that Brian Michael Bendis has been the writer of Ultimate Spider-Man ever since it began in 2000. He has been writing Spider-Man longer than Stan Lee did...
So Marvel's Ultimate books are in a different universe than the regular series?

I loved Marvel back in the 80s. I was thinking about getting back into the X-Men. But there's so many X-Men series, I have no idea where to start.
Old 04-26-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Are there any other good New 52 series? That would probably be a good place to start. I can easily go back to the first issue and get caught up.
I like All-Star Western, but only if you think you might enjoy western stories starring Jonah Hex.
Old 04-26-12, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Daredevil
Animal Man
Amazing Spider-Man
Saga

As for the X-Men, both Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine & the X-Men are supposed to be very good these days, and while I haven't read either, the writers (Rick Remender and Jason Aaron) both do very good work.
Old 04-26-12, 01:00 AM
Banned

Are those (Batman, Flash, Nightwing, Batman & Robin) the New 52 versions you're talking about?
Yes

Also since you haven't read comics in 20 years, Batman & Robin may be slightly confusing since the current Robin is Damian Wayne, who is the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul. Damian was introduced back in 2006 at the beginning of Grant Morrison's run.

I have heard good things about Animal Man and Swamp Thing, but I haven't personally read them so I can't judge them for myself.

So Marvel's Ultimate books are in a different universe than the regular series?
Yes, they are completely different universes with different characters. Many of the characters are just "ultimatized" or modernized but some are completely different from the main universe. For instance, Peter Parker is dead in the Ultimate universe and Spider-Man is a kid named Miles Morales.

There is supposed to be crossover called Spider-Men coming out sometime this summer where Miles will meet the main universe Peter Parker. Its the first time the Ultimate and main universes have crossed over.

I loved Marvel back in the 80s. I was thinking about getting back into the X-Men. But there's so many X-Men series, I have no idea where to start.
Yeah, classic Chris Claremont X-Men was awesome. Then it all went to shit in the 90s and became way too convoluted. The main universe has been shitting all over Spider-Man the last couple of decades as well. Maximum Carnage, The Clone Saga, The Other, Sins Past, One More Day were all just very very very bad Spider-Man stories. Sins Past and One More Day especially are not only the two worst Spider-Man stories, but also the two worst comic book stories of all time period. Its basically the reason I don't even bother with main Marvel anymore.
Old 04-26-12, 01:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Swamp Thing but I feel like the New 52 issues have been rather anemic, honestly. I haven't read the last issue or two so maybe it's picked up but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't read comics in many decades.

Animal Man, on the other hand, is excellent. My favorite of the new 52 titles.

I also think Batgirl has been doing some interesting stuff.

As for non-DC/Marvel stuff, The Walking Dead is a gazillion times better than the TV show and very much worth reading from the start. I also love Ex Machina a whole lot, although that series is done now, it's still worth getting into.
Old 04-26-12, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Check the New 52 thread--some people have been reading a lot of the titles regularly and are recommending their favorites. I haven't read them but am planning to get some of the trades, and Animal Man is on my list based on that thread.

I'd echo Supermallet and say The Walking Dead. The good thing about current but long-running series such as that and Invincible is that you can pick up the first trade (at the library if possible) and get a good idea if you want to pursue it.
Old 04-26-12, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The Goon!
Old 04-26-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

I know you want to get into monthly collecting, but I still think it's better to start off with a good collection (like Geoff John's earlier Green Lantern, Bendis's New Avengers, Morrison's early Batman run, or Brubaker's early Captain America, Hickman's Walking Dead or Invincible collections, etc.) that will give you a good idea of what has happened in the last few years and give you an idea of whether or not you'll like the current runs. The new 52 has gotten to the point where the first trades and hardcovers are coming out and that might be a good start. If you just want to read good comics, there are tons of things we can recommend in collections; even stuff you enjoyed as a kid, since Claremont/Lee X-men is back in print as an omnibus.

IMHO, even with the new 52, it's hard to jump into monthly collecting unless you're a comic fan that has either been following along for a while or who is resilient to being confused by the sheer number of characters and plotlines. X-men just rebooted last year, but is almost impenetrable now with Avengers vs. X-men going on. Of course, I've pretty much entirely given up on the monthly comic book, so I'm a bit biased.

Of course, when I was a kid I would just jump into the middle of storylines and I didn't care, so if you're just a comic fan, you can pretty much pick up anything and then build up your knowledge.

From Image, Saga is only on issue 2, that's been getting rave reviews and a few recommendations in here. I've heard the new Prophet run is also good.
Old 04-26-12, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would pick up the first collection of Batman from the New 52 and then wait for the inevitable Night of Owls trade to follow. I have enjoyed All Star Western, Aquaman and Swamp Thing way more than I ever thought, too.
Old 04-26-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saga
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Aquaman
Wolverine & The X-Men
Amazing Spider-Man
Invincible
Peter Panzerfaust
The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
Batman
The Manhattan Projects
American Vampire
Daredevil
Thief of Thieves
Old 04-26-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Pick up some of the major trade paperbacks from when you left off, they should be able to cover it.

I really love XTinction Agenda, XCutioner's Song, and Fatal Attractions in the 90's, and the Messiah Complex/Messiah War/Second Coming arc from the last 5 years.
Old 04-26-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Pick up some of the major trade paperbacks from when you left off, they should be able to cover it.

I really love XTinction Agenda, XCutioner's Song, and Fatal Attractions in the 90's, and the Messiah Complex/Messiah War/Second Coming arc from the last 5 years.
Well, depending on your tastes and age, you may find, reading the older stuff, that it wasn't quite as good as you remember... or nostalgia could bring you right back.

I agree with the Messiah Complex/Messiah War/Second Coming recommendation; that really was a callback to old-school 80's and 90's X-men to me. Also, X-force and X-factor have been consistently good while the main X-books change direction every few years.
Old 04-27-12, 07:10 AM

Ended up grabbing the New 52 Batman. I'm 5 issues in, and it's really good. I'll probably pickup a few issues from a couple other New 52 series and see what I like. I'll definitely grab some Animal Man since I've seen so many recommendations.

I'm surprised to see people recommend Swamp Thing. I never took that book seriously. Is it really that good?
Old 04-27-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ended up grabbing the New 52 Batman. I'm 5 issues in, and it's really good. I'll probably pickup a few issues from a couple other New 52 series and see what I like. I'll definitely grab some Animal Man since I've seen so many recommendations.

I'm surprised to see people recommend Swamp Thing. I never took that book seriously. Is it really that good?
I'm enjoying Swamp Thing quite a bit. I tried Animal Man but it was just too... dark? for me. Not that Swamp thing is a ray of sunshine I guess...

Seven words for you on the Batman front: Get the hell out of my house!
Old 04-27-12, 11:08 AM
Banned by request

Swamp Thing has generally been a good book, but when Alan Moore was writing it, it was one of the best books. Again, I'm not too impressed with the New 52 Swamp Thing run so far.
Old 04-29-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I absolutely love the Animal Man series running now.
Old 04-29-12, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Saga - it's great to have Vaughan back in action, teamed up with a great artist
The Walking Dead - been reading this for years, and it's still really good.
Fables - I haven't read it since issue 90 something, but I really like it. However the constant crossovers and extra series, books meant I lost track, so I'll have to catch up at a later time.

Ex Machina was a disappointment for me, and I have all the singles of that. I loved it for years, but it really hit the deep end near the last year or so.
Old 04-29-12, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
The Goon!
Yep. And Scalped, Uncanny X-Force, Hellboy, and Criminal.
Old 04-30-12, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Animal Man TPB was in my Gold Box picks for $7.79--ordered!
Old 04-30-12, 10:09 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Ex Machina was a disappointment for me, and I have all the singles of that. I loved it for years, but it really hit the deep end near the last year or so.
Shit. I haven't gotten to the end yet. I felt the same way about Y: The Last Man. Great for about 3/4ths of the way through, then the last quarter was full of bad decisions by the creative team.
Old 04-30-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hellboy
B.P.R.D.
Old 05-02-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Shit. I haven't gotten to the end yet. I felt the same way about Y: The Last Man. Great for about 3/4ths of the way through, then the last quarter was full of bad decisions by the creative team.
I actually enjoyed Y all the way through, but the last issue of Ex Machina was rage-inducing. (Very mild spoiler)

Spoiler:
It actually ruins everything that went before it by design.
Old 05-02-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Yeah Y was weird as shit reading month to month, especially with all the delays in the last few years, so you end up forgetting the details of some events. However, I later read the whole series in one sitting (yeah it took a couple hours) and it made way more sense that way, and worked pretty well.

Ex Machina....that just broke down, in that there's no way to come back from what was done, although I might re-visit it down the line.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.