Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 04-25-12, 02:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Looking to buy a 60" TV soon, and plan to get the room and furniture set up first.

We found a nice little console that says it supports something like 240 lbs and a 55" TV. I don't see why a much lighter 60" TV wouldn't fit. What's the rationale for trying to limit it, just to prevent it extending over the sides? The base that actually will rest on the console will fit with tons of room to spare obviously.
Old 04-25-12, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Entertainment Center/Furniture says 55" TV max - Really?

Originally Posted by Trevor
Looking to buy a 60" TV soon, and plan to get the room and furniture set up first.

We found a nice little console that says it supports something like 240 lbs and a 55" TV. I don't see why a much lighter 60" TV wouldn't fit. What's the rationale for trying to limit it, just to prevent it extending over the sides? The base that actually will rest on the console will fit with tons of room to spare obviously.
If the weight is under the specced limit, you'll be okay, as long as you're okay with the TV "sticking out" on the left and right sides, which is an annoyance/inconvenience to some (I probably fall into that category).
Old 04-25-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I think that is essentially the reason. I have a TV stand that is supposed to be for a 36" inch TV that I purchased a really long time ago. I have my 42" TV on there now. It looks fine, though does extend over the sides a bit. I would be more worried about weight, but as light as TVs have become, that won't be a problem.
Old 04-25-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another issue is the TV toppling over. If it sticks out, there's a greater chance a little kid can grab the end and pull it enough the make it fall over (more common than you'd think). If you do go over the edge, I'd make sure to anchor it to the wall (some models come with a string/cable for just that), especially if you have kids living in or visiting the house.
Old 04-26-12, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I find it easier to just tie all the children up. You just have to remember to remove the rope before school starts each day.
Old 04-26-12, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. Hadn't really thought about the kid or dog bumping into the overhanging parts. Will probably just put bookcases or something close to the ides to help prevent that.

But we actually found a nicer one at Costco today that supports up to 60". Need to lose my behemoth of an entertainment center first, then will probably go with the Costco one.

Have lots of Best Buy store credit, so looking at 60" smart TVs there now, and trying to decide to 3D or not 3D.
Old 04-27-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a young stepdaughter, right? Go 3D. Kids love it. Hell, I love it and I'm old. Even if you don't like it at the theater, I think it's much more fun at home.
Old 05-03-12, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. Hadn't really thought about the kid or dog bumping into the overhanging parts. Will probably just put bookcases or something close to the ides to help prevent that.

But we actually found a nicer one at Costco today that supports up to 60". Need to lose my behemoth of an entertainment center first, then will probably go with the Costco one.

Have lots of Best Buy store credit, so looking at 60" smart TVs there now, and trying to decide to 3D or not 3D.
Are there any TVs that size that don't do 3D?

Go get an anti-tip kit if you're concerned about the kid ruining the TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Hangman-TV400B.../dp/B003VOEEOU
Old 05-03-12, 02:54 PM

Thanks all. Yes, we'll be going 3D. First, I need to find someone stupid enough to take this monstrosity of an entertainment center out of our living room. I'll get a mounting cable like that if needed, will depend on our final set-up.
Old 05-04-12, 07:44 AM

Thanks all. Yes, we'll be going 3D. First, I need to find someone stupid enough to take this monstrosity of an entertainment center out of our living room.[/IMG]
That looks to be about the size of the one we had to get rid of last fall. The wife and I managed to take it to the garage where it sat for a month or two, until an in-law decided they'd take it off our hands, so we let them have it for free, as long as they came and picked it up.

I was worried for quite some time that no one would even pick it up for free! Sucker's quite heavy, even without a 32" tube sitting on it!

Good luck!
Old 05-04-12, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
That looks to be about the size of the one we had to get rid of last fall. The wife and I managed to take it to the garage where it sat for a month or two, until an in-law decided they'd take it off our hands, so we let them have it for free, as long as they came and picked it up.

I was worried for quite some time that no one would even pick it up for free! Sucker's quite heavy, even without a 32" tube sitting on it!

Good luck!
I tried Freecycle to get rid of it back in December when I moved and had no takers; so we painfully moved it and have been using it. It fits her old 32" TV, and can fit up to a 36" I think, and I have my 42" on top of it at this moment. But neither option is ideal, and it really doesn't work at all unless you're fine with 36" or less.

And yes, it's very heavy and unwieldy. Luckily, I posted it again on Freecycycle last night and have four offers already. Hopefully one of them follows through with hauling it out of here.