Reload this Page >

Young Justice League Animated Series in the works

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-04-10, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It got leaked this week that Warner Bros is working on a DC animated series based on the Young Justice comic book. Apparently, this may be tied-in to the Batman Animated series canon.

From MTV.com:

'Young Justice League' Animated Series In The Works?

Posted 2/3/10 11:31 am ET by Blair Marnell in DC Comics, News

Arrowette - Young Justice LeagueCould a "Young Justice League" animated series be on the horizon? A report that hit the 'Net and was removed a short time later seems to indicate that's the case.

"I am beyond thrilled to announce that I was recently cast in the new animated series, 'Young Justice League', based on the famous (and awesome!?) DC Comics," wrote actress Stephanie Lemelin in a statement on her website that was snagged by Mania.com before being removed. "I seriously could not be more excited about being welcomed into this amazing family… what a fantastic way to start the new year! I will be voicing the character of Arrowette (see ridiculously hot avatar below!!! um, could I love her anymore?) as well as several supporting cast members."

"Due to the extreme popularity of this series, however, that’s about all I can say… for now," continued Lemelin. "[I am] so excited, this is really a dream come true for me, I have always wanted to be a Saturday morning cartoon!"

Lemelin is perhaps best known for her supporting role in the short lived "Cavemen" sitcom on ABC and was also the voice of Mei Ling in "Kung Fu Panda: Secrets of the Furious Five." Shortly after this story broke, the statement was removed from her website.

"Young Justice" was originally published in 1998 as an ongoing series written by Peter David (with art by Todd DeZago and Todd Nauck) that featured Robin, Superboy, Impulse, Wonder Girl and two new super-heroines, Secret and Arrowette. The series was often noted for its lighter touch on superheroes and ran until 2003 when the majority of the cast was folded into a new "Teen Titans" title.

If a "Young Justice League" television series is going forward, it will presumably be used to create a brand outside of the "Teen Titans" franchise, which ran for several years as a popular animated series.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/02/03...-in-the-works/

http://www.animatedsuperheroes.com/2...eam.html#links
Old 02-04-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Young Justice League Animated Series in the works

Sold!!
Old 02-05-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

they should've never canceled the original Justice League show. I will watch, but it's not the same.
Old 02-05-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think JL was canceled so much as Bruce Timm decided to end it.
Old 02-05-10, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
they should've never canceled the original Justice League show. I will watch, but it's not the same.
Agreed 100%. That is the show I miss the most right now.

Originally Posted by Thrush
I dont think JL was canceled so much as Bruce Timm decided to end it.
It was canceled. Timm and Co wanted to continue doing episodes but they were told at the start of the second season of JLU that the series would be cancelled, so that way production could give a fitting ending.
Old 02-05-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

A young justice league? Aren't they known as the Teen Titans?
Old 02-05-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dx23

It was canceled. Timm and Co wanted to continue doing episodes but they were told at the start of the second season of JLU that the series would be cancelled, so that way production could give a fitting ending.

I remember from interviews at the time. Timm made it seem like it was his decision to end the show.
Old 02-05-10, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thrush
I remember from interviews at the time. Timm made it seem like it was his decision to end the show.
I remember that Timm and McDuffie wanted to continue the series and even had a JLU Animated film script, which turned to be the Crisis on Two Earths coming in 2 weeks. WB decided to go forth with The Batman and drop JLU. I remember that WB started putting restrictions on what characters Timm could use and at one point all Batman and Aquaman characters, except Batman and Aquaman were out of bounds. The same thing with Plastic Man, Captain Marvel, in the first season, the JSA. I can't believe the ridiculous restriction they had, when now all characters are free to use in Batman the brave and the Bold.

I remember reading that season 3 of JLU was going to have Firestorm stories.
Old 02-05-10, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I saw the thread title I thought they were going to make a show with the characters as kids, like in "Kid Stuff", which is one of my personal favorite episodes of JLU.

I'll watch. Of course I'll watch. But I really miss JLU.
Old 02-09-10, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
A young justice league? Aren't they known as the Teen Titans?
It is really weird, because they basically ended the Young Justice comic book run in order to make the main characters into Teen Titans, and along the way pretty much destroyed what made Peter David's Young Justice great. Most of the supporting cast, including Arrowette, are nowhere to be found now.
Old 05-20-10, 08:44 AM
Banned

BREAKING NEWS: Today, at their annual Advertising Upfront presentation, Cartoon Network announced a new series coming to CN this fall! Young Justice is executive produced by Sam Register and produced by Brandon Vietti and Greg Weisman! The first season will be 26 episodes. Here is the official show description:

In Young Justice, being a teenager means proving yourself over and over—to peers, parents, teachers, mentors and, ultimately, to yourself. But what if you’re not just a normal teenager? What if you’re a teenage super hero? Are you ready to join the ranks of the great heroes and prove you’re worthy of the Justice League? That’s exactly what the members of Young Justice — Robin, Aqualad, Kid Flash, Superboy, Miss Martian and Artemis—will find out, whether they have what it takes to be a proven hero. This all-new series is produced by Warner Bros. Animation and based upon characters from DC Comics.

http://www.animatedsuperheroes.com/2...ent.html#links
Old 05-20-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't there issue of using Superboy? The Superman airs own that character compared to Superman which is still in the courts. Is that Clark Kent or some other character.

Always thought it was sort of lame to just have a bunch of essentially knock-offs (either younger versions or opposite sex version) of characters. Robin is the only one I'd consider his own character & in a way, he's just a young version of Batman.
Old 05-20-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

How do you have Robin in a JL without Batman? Meh.
Old 05-20-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
How do you have Robin in a JL without Batman? Meh.
Young Justice is the middle ground between Teen Titans & the Justice League.
Old 05-20-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

animation looks cool, but seems like it's still catering to younger crowds. i want adult comic book shows.
Old 05-20-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

animation looks cool, but seems like it's still catering to younger crowds. i want adult comic book shows.
Maybe Speedy will make a guest appearance and get hooked on heroin.

I don't think DC should be trying to cater to an older crowd, especially with their animated series. Marvel and DC need to appeal to new, young readers, not continue catering to the desires of an aging fanbase.

These are wish-fulfillment characters that fly around in colorful costumes and have magic rings. How adult do things really need to be?
Old 05-20-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As long as there are compelling stories comparable to BtAS and Justice League.. and not along the lines of Teen Titans (although there were some decent episodes that were more serious in tone), I don't see a problem. Now, I don't care for the look of Ms Martian. And I sort of assume she's the Starfire in this series.
Old 05-20-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Aren't there issue of using Superboy? The Superman airs own that character compared to Superman which is still in the courts. Is that Clark Kent or some other character.

Always thought it was sort of lame to just have a bunch of essentially knock-offs (either younger versions or opposite sex version) of characters. Robin is the only one I'd consider his own character & in a way, he's just a young version of Batman.
At the WB TV-animation chat last month-there was no mention of a problem with the Superboy name. They even hinted that the long awaited Superboy animated series from the 60s might be in the works.
Old 05-20-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I will pass on this series. Why not have a Hawkman,Green Lantern ,The Flash or The Atom series? Try something different. The same ole ,same ole(Teen Titans,Legion of Superheroes) is getting old.
Old 05-20-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Maybe Speedy will make a guest appearance and get hooked on heroin.

I don't think DC should be trying to cater to an older crowd, especially with their animated series. Marvel and DC need to appeal to new, young readers, not continue catering to the desires of an aging fanbase.

These are wish-fulfillment characters that fly around in colorful costumes and have magic rings. How adult do things really need to be?
i understand kids watch this shit, but adults have the money to spend. i'm just a jaded adult because DC has canceled three awesome series (Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League).
Old 05-20-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main problem I have with developing these kinds of series, is that their life span seem to be 5 truncated seasons (if, as adults, we're that lucky). Cartoon series seem like the opposite of what prime time is looking for. Prime time wants the long running series that pulls in audience ratings. Cartoons seem like they just want enough exposure to sell toys and then they get yanked off tv because ratings don't seem to be an issue.
Old 05-20-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

You know it is kind of funny...I know Marvel/DC wants to get cash out of these things from merchandising, which is fine. But at the same time, they seem to want to have critical acclaim like some of their earlier series.

I would like them to do like a Daredevil series that is dark and adult like and the same with Batman (or Planetary on the DC side, that would be cool).

Why they haven't done something like this is beyond me.

But this series does look kind of cool, I am totally digging the new Batman series. So I will certainly give it a chance.
Old 05-20-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The main problem I have with developing these kinds of series, is that their life span seem to be 5 truncated seasons (if, as adults, we're that lucky). Cartoon series seem like the opposite of what prime time is looking for. Prime time wants the long running series that pulls in audience ratings. Cartoons seem like they just want enough exposure to sell toys and then they get yanked off tv because ratings don't seem to be an issue.

Maybe if they geared them towards adults like The Simpson, Southpark, and other 5+ year run animated shows they'd have a successful series.
Old 05-20-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by macnorton
I would like them to do like a Daredevil series that is dark and adult like and the same with Batman (or Planetary on the DC side, that would be cool).

Why they haven't done something like this is beyond me.

They did a "Dark" series when they did The Silver Surfer and it wasn't well received . I totally dug it but people were freaked out.
Old 05-20-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

5 years is exactly it. The school of thought is for kids shows, once they are hooked from the beginning, that after 5 years the kids have out grown the toys.

With that said, I'll watch it just for Robin, Kid-Flash, and Superboy

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.