DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hamilton Books

Old 12-28-10, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamilton Books

I thought this might have been posted before but it didn't come up with a search.

Hamilton Books (not allowed to post URLS but www-hamiltonbook-com) has a lot of good sale DVDs though be careful because they also carry near-full-price ones as well. Go to "power search" on the site and you can sort by publishers. Some good ones are A&E, Anchor Bay (Jodorwosky set for $9.95), Classic Media (Godzilla/kaiju), Eagle Rock (concerts), History Channel, Kino, Lions Gate, New Line, Tartan Video, Universal, Warner Home Video. Or you can search all DVDs by choosing that format.

The website has been acting a bit odd recently but I've been ordering from this company for 20+ years and they've always been good.
Old 12-28-10, 12:11 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Hamilton Books

Here's a few more publishers: Image, Koch, Paramount, TLA, Xenon
Old 12-28-10, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I am a little biased since I am the DVD buyer there, but...yeah those guys at Hamilton's are aweome! LOL.

Glad you guys noticed the Kino...you won't see their overstocks everywhere. I try to find the nichey/arty/cult stuff you don't get much of at Big Lots or Oldies. We have the OOP Dead or Alive Box Set and Single right now. Some Kimstim collection stuff too. (oh and unlike some other places I don't jack up prices because stuff is "OOP")

Wish the site was more user friendly for you guys...sorry. We're kinda old fashioned.

EDIT: Oh, and we'll have BRs soon! Frankly the selection (and, unfortunately, probably the prices) will stink, but hey, it's a start.

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 12-28-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-28-10, 03:47 PM

Awesome deal on Steve Hackett - Once Above a Time. Just $3.95 brand new and peraps the best song selection of any of his DVD's.

Pretty good on Yes - Live at Montreux as well for just $5.95
Old 12-28-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the days before the internet I used to buy tons of books from Ed every month, but now their prices just aren't competitive anymore for most things.

$7.95 for WB and MGM titles that sold at Big Lots for $3.00 or less isn't a very good deal. It reminds me of Oldies.com prices, sometimes a relative deal shines through, but taken as a whole, the rates are not very attractive. I appreciate the effort to offer more of a variety than the usual discount houses, but right now there doesn't seem to be enough bargains to merit a significant inclusion in this forum.
Old 12-28-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I used to buy books from Hamilton all the time, but haven't in years. I'll have to check out their website. Thanks for the post!
Old 12-28-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
In the days before the internet I used to buy tons of books from Ed every month, but now their prices just aren't competitive anymore for most things.

$7.95 for WB and MGM titles that sold at Big Lots for $3.00 or less isn't a very good deal. It reminds me of Oldies.com prices, sometimes a relative deal shines through, but taken as a whole, the rates are not very attractive. I appreciate the effort to offer more of a variety than the usual discount houses, but right now there doesn't seem to be enough bargains to merit a significant inclusion in this forum.
Prof...I wish I could disagree with the bolded, but I can't. Big Lots has a size, and therefore volume buying power, we don't. Best advantage we can offer over Big Lots is a better selection, and without digging through pallets. So far as competing price to price with the net..we just can't. No argument there.

We're making progress though...3-4 years ago when I took over we were basically A&E and MGM only (I think our A&E prices are still damn hard to beat). We've got Blue Underground now, and Severin and Synapse soon.

One thing I will say: it is worth it to get the DVD catalog as opposed to the just checking the site...the pricecuts show up in the DVD only catalog first, and I cut fast and hard based on sales--lots to 1.95-2.95 (some to a buck), and they are marked as they are cut.

Lastly...thanks for your past business!
Old 12-28-10, 05:46 PM
ktg

Thanks, checking out the website now...
Old 12-28-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels

One thing I will say: it is worth it to get the DVD catalog as opposed to the just checking the site...the pricecuts show up in the DVD only catalog first, and I cut fast and hard based on sales--lots to 1.95-2.95 (some to a buck), and they are marked as they are cut.
Thanks, ordered a catalog.
Old 12-28-10, 06:54 PM

I have found many a decent deal at Edward R Hamilton.
They have some good prices on the Weird N.J.,etc books too.
They also had an awesome price on the Miami Vice box set (around 60.00 if I recall correctly).
Old 12-28-10, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Thanks, ordered a catalog.
I am afraid the office will send you the main book or new arrivals catalog (both have lots of dvds though)...you have to actually order a DVD to get the DVD only catalog, similarly if you ordered a history book you'd get the history only catalog.

Sounds stupid I know but the DVD catalog goes out only 5 times a year, the new arrivals and main book are 9-11 times a year...it's all about getting you the latest, freshest catalog so you aren't ordering a bunch of stuff that's been sold out for a month.

The new DVD catalog is being created tomorrow and I will have samples in about two weeks. If anyone wants one they can PM me their address. (if anyone is wary of this, I am pretty well known on the Talk side as a contest sponsor).

Now, out of respect for this great forum that has been VERY hospitable to me and with respect to the vendors who pay to advertise here, I will stop shilling.
Old 12-28-10, 09:01 PM

Hey GoldenWheels,
I ordered several anime dvds about a month or two back. Will I get a dvd catalog?
Old 12-28-10, 09:37 PM

Yeah don't know how I missed mentioning searching for Image Entertainment since I just ordered a couple of the silent films that appear there.

Just fyi but some people might want to check out Marvel Comics under publishers because a bunch of the Essential reprints are available at great prices. Also some nice deals under Fantagraphics such as the Popeye, Dennis the Menace and Krazy & Ignatz volumes.
Old 12-29-10, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I mentioned the Marvel thing in the comics forum. Been ordering stuff from them for a while.

Also, if you get the catalog from http://edwardrhamilton.com/ you can actually get free shipping sometimes, though you have to mail the order in. That site is a lot harder to search though.
Old 12-29-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by blackmage214
Hey GoldenWheels,
I ordered several anime dvds about a month or two back. Will I get a dvd catalog?
I belive you should in about 3-4 weeks, as they fall in the DVD catalog. (ordering a Music DVD for instance, would get you our Arts & Entertainment catalog). I will double check though if web orders get you added or not...that I am not sure of.

EDIT: I checked and as long as you ordered a dvd OTHER than the musical/opera variety, you will receive a DVD catalog. So you should receive the new one--sorry to say I won't be buying more anime though....that was an experiment and the results were pretty bad.

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 12-29-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-29-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yep, I mentioned the Marvel thing in the comics forum. Been ordering stuff from them for a while.
Check IDW too...I bought a bunch of Transformers and GI Joe books that are now $1.95. They did not sell nearly as well as I expected!
Old 12-29-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One positive thing I neglected to mention in my mostly negative post above is the great customer service offered by Hamilton and even though I haven't made a purchase in a couple of years now, I have no doubt that their standards remain very high. They are a very old fashioned operation and this shows in the ethical principles by which they operate; I never had any problems with returns or missing orders and all processes were for the most part, easy to navigate and negotiate.

Now if they could just start matching or exceeding some of the book and DVD deals found elsewhere, I would once more become an active customer.
Old 12-29-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Just spent an hour going through the site. Lotta good stuff there. I'll probably sit down and order some stuff over the weekend.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-29-10, 03:54 PM

Thanks to Lang Thompson for posting this...I just spent an hour perusing the Hamilton site. What a great find!
Old 12-30-10, 07:41 AM

Jodorowsky set and two HVE for ~$25 shipped is killer. Thanks OP and thanks Golden Wheels.

More Homevision please?
Old 12-30-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BamaDan
Jodorowsky set and two HVE for ~$25 shipped is killer. Thanks OP and thanks Golden Wheels.

More Homevision please?
I will keep an eye out!
Old 12-30-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You should see if you can get some Alliance titles from Canada (B-rate Sci-fi shows).

Old 12-31-10, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're patient, you can save money on shipping by ordering from edwardrhamilton dot com. They should have the same titles, but you'll only have to pay one flat fee of $3.50, regardless of how many items you order. The catches are: after you select your titles, you have to print an order form (which will feature the titles you chose), write a check (no credit cards at this site) and send it via snail mail. It depends whether you want convenience or savings.
Old 01-03-11, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sent a mail order with them yesterday, hopefully it gets there soon and everything goes smooth. I'm looking forward to more orders already
Old 01-05-11, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I belive you should in about 3-4 weeks, as they fall in the DVD catalog. (ordering a Music DVD for instance, would get you our Arts & Entertainment catalog). I will double check though if web orders get you added or not...that I am not sure of.

EDIT: I checked and as long as you ordered a dvd OTHER than the musical/opera variety, you will receive a DVD catalog. So you should receive the new one--sorry to say I won't be buying more anime though....that was an experiment and the results were pretty bad.
Thanks for the effort and insights, GoldenWheels. Will have to check out the site. But why do musical/opera titles not qualify for the catalog?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.