Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Disputing Amazon Trade-In Condition?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-07-12, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried disputing the condition of an item they've sent to Amazon for a trade-in credit? I sent a brand new, factory sealed copy of a DVD to them and they downgraded it saying that it's not in the original wrapping? I bought it brand new from Deep Discount several years ago and never opened it, so I am perplexed.

I chose the option for them to just pay me value for the condition of the item, but if I expected them to downgrade a brand new item from brand new and screw me out of $6.00 (dropped the item from $7.75 to $1.75), I would've selected otherwise.
Old 02-07-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Disputing Amazon Trade-In Condition?

Just contact Customer Service.... Did you take pictures of it before sending? I ask since I took actual video of me putting it into the box to send.... and I had them return any downgrades. when I got it back (again taking video of me opening the package).. it was opened... so I contacted Customer Service... and they took care of it...
Old 02-07-12, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by b2net
Just contact Customer Service.... Did you take pictures of it before sending? I ask since I took actual video of me putting it into the box to send.... and I had them return any downgrades. when I got it back (again taking video of me opening the package).. it was opened... so I contacted Customer Service... and they took care of it...
I did not, but that is a good CYA move on your part. I trust Amazon and do a lot of business with them without any problems, so I wouldn't expect them to screw me over. I don't know if they did this or the marketplace merchant determined it wasn't brand new, but either way it's B.S. They also have credited everything else in the order except for one item (there were over 200 items in the order), so I'm guessing this one they haven't credited is "misplaced."
Old 02-07-12, 07:48 PM

Alright, well I just sent an e-mail about it. Just figured I'd ask on here first to see if Amazon will generally work with you on these issues or if it's sort of a situation where they don't want to budge. I'll report back.
Old 02-07-12, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a couple of threads over on CAG about this very same subject. Apparently, the company that is handling Amazon's trade-ins have done this to a few other ppl.

here's one of the threads...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=314148

But I would definitely try and contact Amazon and voice your displease. Hopefully if they get enough complaints they will look into making some changes.
Old 02-07-12, 07:56 PM

Thanks, darkdaze. Good to know it's not just me. Maybe it's an honest mistake since it's a very large (to me) trade-in order and this is the only one they seemed to screw up. Funnily enough, they upgraded something that wasn't factory sealed to "Brand New" status, so I guess it works both ways but that upgrade was nowhere near enough to offset the $6.00 lost on this one. I should note they downgraded another item from "Like New" to "Acceptable" or whatever the lowest tier is, which I also feel is incorrect but I figure with the one they erroneously upgraded, that's a wash.
Old 02-07-12, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

That's really ironic considering Amazon doesn't really make any attempt to ship brand new items to its customers in a "like new" condition. Just throw that book or DVD boxed set into an empty box and let USPS/UPS kick the shit out of it.

I've also received some re-shrink-wrapped DVDs from Amazon (from Amazon itself, not marketplace sellers).
Old 02-07-12, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've also received some re-shrink-wrapped DVDs from Amazon (from Amazon itself, not marketplace sellers).
Are you sure? The only reason I question this is because I buy a lot from Amazon and haven't noticed this and a lot of publishers are just putting the cheap factory sealing with no security stickers on their DVDs/Blu-rays these days, so maybe that's the issue?
Old 02-07-12, 09:57 PM

Well, Amazon gave me some canned response that doesn't even summarize my problem, but bottom line is that they're issuing me $9.25 in promotional credit, so all's well that ends well I guess but it'd be nice if they'd understand the problem.
Old 02-07-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

This has happened to me. I sent customer service a message and they covered it.
Old 02-07-12, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition
Are you sure? The only reason I question this is because I buy a lot from Amazon and haven't noticed this and a lot of publishers are just putting the cheap factory sealing with no security stickers on their DVDs/Blu-rays these days, so maybe that's the issue?
Positive. It was a fairly recent release of a tv set. The set I got from Amazon had obvious scuffing damage visible on the box while the shrink-wrap was pristine, and there were no stickers on the shink-wrap, where there are two on all of the ones I've seen at retail. And I don't mean security stickers; the kinds of stickers that say "Watch new episodes of XXXX starting September 5 on YYY.")

Looks like the box probably got beat up in a warehouse and was re-wrapped. Don't know if Amazon did, or a distributor, but it was definitely re-wrapped.

I probably wouldn't have even noticed if the front cover of the case wasn't covered in big white scuffs that were so severe the color printing was removed from areas of the box.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-07-12 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's really ironic considering Amazon doesn't really make any attempt to ship brand new items to its customers in a "like new" condition. Just throw that book or DVD boxed set into an empty box and let USPS/UPS kick the shit out of it.
I've been disappointed by this too, though I do occasionally still get orders where the packaging guy has actually made an effort. Not often though.

Same here. During the holidays I got three DVDs like that. But what really surprised me was that I got another one with ZERO shrinkwrapping. The keepsake box had some obvious wear too. I contacted Amazon, but apparently the title was not going to be stocked anymore, so they gave me a refund. All 4 were absolutely from Amazon rather than any market sellers.
Old 02-11-12, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten two BDs from amazon of late where the packaging was in not-so-great condition despite being sealed. One had paper slipcase packaging and looked like it had been on the bottom of a pile of discs for years, since the slipcase had a deep pressure dent in it. Another looked as though it was unsold inventory from a store that had been banged around a bit.

I only did a trade-in with them once. I chose not to have any downgraded discs returned. They gave me full stated value for all my discs that were worth a few bucks or more; they downgraded me on two titles (all were used copies). The ones they docked me on were two basically worthless discs I tossed in just to fill up the package. (They gave me a quarter instead of the stated fifty cents for a like new copy).
Old 02-11-12, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is Amazon doing with these trade-in items, anyway?

I really hope they're not reselling them as regular "new" inventory. If they do, that means we can potentially be sold re-sealed used DVDs or former rental discs when we buy from Amazon.
Old 02-11-12, 11:04 PM

What is Amazon doing with these trade-in items, anyway?

I really hope they're not reselling them as regular "new" inventory. If they do, that means we can potentially be sold re-sealed used DVDs or former rental discs when we buy from Amazon.
They go to a Marketplace merchant, according to their FAQ about the Trade-In program. It doesn't sound like Amazon is directly involved in the process besides the fact that you get Amazon credit for the trade-ins, but they seem to be pretty willing to correct any screw-ups by the third-party.
Old 02-12-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I've never had a problem with Amazon trade-in. I just sent a bunch of "new" (never opened) Blu-rays back their way a couple weeks ago and got full credit for all of them. Most Blu-rays (thank goodness) have that sticker over them in addition to the shrink wrap, so they're probably keeping their eye out for people trying to re-shrink wrap products. That was my biggest concern over their new trade-in policy.
Old 02-12-12, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I've never had a problem with Amazon trade-in. I just sent a bunch of "new" (never opened) Blu-rays back their way a couple weeks ago and got full credit for all of them. Most Blu-rays (thank goodness) have that sticker over them in addition to the shrink wrap, so they're probably keeping their eye out for people trying to re-shrink wrap products. That was my biggest concern over their new trade-in policy.
Yeah, I would think if you send in legitimately-sealed discs, there wouldn't be any issue about the value they give you for them. Hence why I was shocked that they tried to claim what I sent was not brand new.

They downgraded something else for me in a different order, by the way. It wasn't a huge drop and they already over-reimbursed me from my last complaint, so I won't say anything, but people considering doing the trade-in should be aware that there is the strong possibility they will downgrade your value for seemingly no reason (besides cost savings on their part, of course). I'm an adult, I handle all of my possessions with care and have generally watched most of these movies once if at all, so to be downgraded with the reason being "minor scratches" is just not true.
Old 02-12-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'm an adult, I handle all of my possessions with care and have generally watched most of these movies once if at all, so to be downgraded with the reason being "minor scratches" is just not true.
Same reason they gave me, "minor scratches." I treat my movies with extreme care like you. I keep all my DVDs/BDs in my office downstairs and my two young kids are not allowed there. (It doubles as an office and I also have job-related material down there I don't want them to have access to).

I guess they must look at these discs with a microscope since that's what they'd need to see the majority of scratches on my discs.
Old 02-12-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I've gotten two BDs from amazon of late where the packaging was in not-so-great condition despite being sealed. One had paper slipcase packaging and looked like it had been on the bottom of a pile of discs for years, since the slipcase had a deep pressure dent in it. Another looked as though it was unsold inventory from a store that had been banged around a bit.
Pretty common practice for retailers. Should sealed titles not end up getting sold they get returned to the distributor and then redistributed, when other retailers ask for certain titles. I've seen Best buy and wal-mart stickers at Target before, and It's not due to returns by customers.
Old 02-13-12, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I would think if you send in legitimately-sealed discs, there wouldn't be any issue about the value they give you for them. Hence why I was shocked that they tried to claim what I sent was not brand new.

They downgraded something else for me in a different order, by the way. It wasn't a huge drop and they already over-reimbursed me from my last complaint, so I won't say anything, but people considering doing the trade-in should be aware that there is the strong possibility they will downgrade your value for seemingly no reason (besides cost savings on their part, of course). I'm an adult, I handle all of my possessions with care and have generally watched most of these movies once if at all, so to be downgraded with the reason being "minor scratches" is just not true.
This is fascinating to me, as I've probably traded in 40 or so Blu-rays since their "new" policy came into play and haven't had so much as one downgraded (I'm guessing about 25 of the titles I sent back were still in their shink wrap). It makes me wonder if they have certain employees working on certain zip codes or regions, so someone like you is always getting "Mr. Nitpicky", while someone like me isn't.
Old 02-13-12, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is fascinating to me, as I've probably traded in 40 or so Blu-rays since their "new" policy came into play and haven't had so much as one downgraded (I'm guessing about 25 of the titles I sent back were still in their shink wrap). It makes me wonder if they have certain employees working on certain zip codes or regions, so someone like you is always getting "Mr. Nitpicky", while someone like me isn't.
That's possible. To be fair, I have sent in over 300 items so I guess, as a percentage, this is a relatively low rate at which my values are being downgraded; however, I have been totally honest about the conditions when I submit the trade-ins so the rate should be 0%. They already aren't giving people GREAT trade-in prices so I don't see the need to give even less. I got $11 for sealed Criterions, they have made their money off of me.
Old 02-13-12, 09:52 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Their prices tumbled a few months ago. Not sure why. I sent in about 8 items last week that came to roughly $70. Mostly worthless crap. Sadly, the good ol' days are long gone. Most DVDs hover at below $1, and BDs are about $3. Once and a while you find a good "deal".
Old 02-13-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the prices aren't very good...it's just a matter of convenience for me versus trying to resell them online.
Old 02-13-12, 03:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Their trade in prices change often also just like their sale prices. I've seen trade in prices for some tv seasons that I want to trade in jump from the $7 to $12 range all throughout the week. Trade in price today can be completely different tomorrow for the better or worse.
Old 02-13-12, 05:23 PM

Woooow, shit is about to go down. My final and most recent order I sent them included 30 items. They downgraded 3 of them and are now rejecting two brand new, factory sealed items with the reason "major scratches." If I get these back in the mail and they are a) open and 2) scratched to hell, I feel sorry for the Amazon rep I contact about it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.