Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk Review of The Future

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-01-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/53416/future-the/

Do reviews no longer have the "click here to discuss this review in our forums" link? I'm not seeing it.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I saw this as part of a film festival screening earlier in the year, and if possible, I hated it even more than the reviewer here. Insufferably awful movie in every respect.

Miranda July spoke afterwards, and it became immediately clear that she did no "acting" in the film whatsoever. What you see on screen is exactly what she really is.

The screening was packed with adoring, sycophantic fans who asked her questions about how the symbolism in such-and-such a scene related to the fourth paragraph of an obscure short story she wrote for a long-discontinued publication, and so forth. All of which she answered in the most obtuse manner possible, much to the fans' enthusiasm. In fact, she started the Q&A by saying that she didn't want anyone to ask any questions until they took a few minutes to sit in silence and ponder the film. And then she stood there, waiting for something to happen.

Ugh. Terrible movie. Just terrible.
Old 12-01-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVDTalk Review of The Future

Josh,

I think it's been replaced with the Facebook streaming comments section below each review. I've noticed a lot more feedback since the change-over, so I suppose it's an improvement. Normally I'd get maybe three or four threads about my reviews per year (!), and I've gotten at least that many in the last month.
Old 12-01-11, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Josh,

I think it's been replaced with the Facebook streaming comments section below each review. I've noticed a lot more feedback since the change-over, so I suppose it's an improvement. Normally I'd get maybe three or four threads about my reviews per year (!), and I've gotten at least that many in the last month.
Ah, Facebook is blocked on my office computer. Didn't see it.
Old 12-01-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Yeah.

The review system can't access the forum database anymore, so I had to break them out...and it wound up prompting a lot more chatter, as luck would have it.
Old 12-01-11, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts

And again, now I really want to see this movie.
Old 12-02-11, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. In hindsight I was probably too kind in my review. I was tempted to compare this to Richard Kelley's abysmal SOUTHLAND TALES, in terms of just how far her second film had dropped in quality, but at least he had a semi-coherent idea of what he was doing.

On a related note, when I get hit with a real turd like this, I'll read the original reviews from which the cover quotes were pulled.

One was taken out of context so much, I have to laugh.

The cover says: "Unique [and] endearingly off-kilter."

The original context: "The elements that make "The Future" unique — it is narrated by the cat, has a complex, sci-fi-ish time-loop structure and endearingly off-kilter interludes of July's character attempting to dance — might also prove challenging to potential buyers and audiences."

To top it off, the quote was pulled from an article that isn't an actual formal review, more background info on the film with an interview piece.
Old 12-02-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After I saw it at the Boston Indepedent Film Festival, one of the critics from the Boston Globe called it "the bravest film at this or any American festival." Sadly, that wasn't taken out of context. He thought it was terrific. Over the last couple years, the Globe critics have been studying at the Armond White School of Obnoxious Contrarianism.