Reload this Page >

Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-05-11, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts

This game is about as difficult as I was expecting. I'm hoping a lot of members pick it up so we can help each other out. Please put story spoilers in tags. After about 7 hours, I'm still working on getting the 1st bell rung. Has anyone figured out how to take out the boar in the Undead Parish?

I'm not yet sure how the multiplayer and Humanity system works. If anyone has figured it out, please chime in.

Edit: I'm playing on PS3 if anyone wants to try some multiplayer.
Old 10-05-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official Dark Souls Support Group - Spoilers Inside

I'm only about an hour and half in. I think I died 3 times so far. I've made it to like the third camp fire.

For the boar, I remember watching videos of that fight back at E3:
Spoiler:
You stab him the ass, seriously. Or you can get him to charge into that fire. Or both.
Old 10-05-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am about two hours in and died a lot during the tutorial boss fight.

I have never played Demon's Souls so I am new to this.

Spoiler:
In the second section, after you get out of the Asylum, none of the creatures attack me unless I attack them. Is this the way it always is?
I of course attack them though, haha.
Once I got all the way down to the water and crossed the bridge I was immediately killed by the white ghost things with long arms. Then I stopped for the night.

From what I can gather looking around online, you can't do multiplayer (i.e. go into another game and help out or have people come into your game) unless you are human. It seems it may take a while to become human.
I found a "humanity" on a corpse but when I look at my status, it still says humanity is zero....so I'm not sure how it all works. All I know is that you can become human or un-hollow yourself at a camp fire. What you need to do that though....???????
Old 10-05-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love this game. It's funny because I had Rage preordered for months, but just picked this up on a whim when I happened to be at Walmart at midnight (I'm not usually at Walmart at midnight, for the record, this was a special case). So far I've played Rage about 15 minutes, and I've put well over 10 hours into Dark Souls.

The boar: there are several things that will work, but I wasn't having any luck with the two methods mentioned above. I went onto the archway above him (where the two archers are), and there's a corpse with a convenient item that'll lure him below you. Then I just did the drop-stab move from above.

I haven't made it to the first bell yet either, but I'm working on the boss fight which is (I think) just before doing so.

I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the fact that you're given virtually no guidance even in anything as simple as the controls. I just figured out last night, again after 10+ hours of playtime, that you can jump in this game. There are times when I feel like I must be playing wrong, and that there surely has to be an easier way. But maybe not.

I'm on 360.
Old 10-05-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
From what I can gather looking around online, you can't do multiplayer (i.e. go into another game and help out or have people come into your game) unless you are human. It seems it may take a while to become human.
I found a "humanity" on a corpse but when I look at my status, it still says humanity is zero....so I'm not sure how it all works. All I know is that you can become human or un-hollow yourself at a camp fire. What you need to do that though....???????
You sort of answered your own question there. The item you found will give you one Humanity if you use it. You also gain Humanity from killing certain enemies, though I'm not sure which ones yet. You can use one Humanity at a bonfire to un-hollow yourself, and you can use another Humanity once you're human to Kindle that bonfire. Kindling a bonfire gives you 10 flask refills at a time rather than just 5. You can only have one bonfire kindled at a time, so it sort of becomes your primary "home" bonfire for the time being, though you can still rest and respawn at others if you're wandering around.

Be aware, though, that dying takes you back to hollowed status. You also lose whatever collected Humanity you have when you die, just like with souls. I lost 5 Humanity last night on a boss fight and wasn't able to retrieve it.

I haven't figured out exactly how Humanity works with the multiplayer aspect yet, but apparently it's involved.
Old 10-05-11, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePage
You sort of answered your own question there. The item you found will give you one Humanity if you use it. You also gain Humanity from killing certain enemies, though I'm not sure which ones yet. You can use one Humanity at a bonfire to un-hollow yourself, and you can use another Humanity once you're human to Kindle that bonfire. Kindling a bonfire gives you 10 flask refills at a time rather than just 5. You can only have one bonfire kindled at a time, so it sort of becomes your primary "home" bonfire for the time being, though you can still rest and respawn at others if you're wandering around.

Be aware, though, that dying takes you back to hollowed status. You also lose whatever collected Humanity you have when you die, just like with souls. I lost 5 Humanity last night on a boss fight and wasn't able to retrieve it.

I haven't figured out exactly how Humanity works with the multiplayer aspect yet, but apparently it's involved.
Ah, i may be more confused now. I kindled a bonfire in the asylum, not knowing what it did and I saw my flasks go from 5 to 10. So now I am beyond that level.....so if I die on the next level (i did and turned the game off) I will only have 5 flasks now because this isn't the bonfire I kindled?

I also read something somewhere about getting additional flasks if somebody else kindles a fire you already kindled? or something like that.
Old 10-05-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I'm not sure whether I like or dislike the fact that you're given virtually no guidance even in anything as simple as the controls. I just figured out last night, again after 10+ hours of playtime, that you can jump in this game. There are times when I feel like I must be playing wrong, and that there surely has to be an easier way. But maybe not.

I'm on 360.
At the very beginning of the game they put down messages to help you learn the controls. They definitely mention the jumping mechanism.

That's the way these games are though. They purposely don't give you much direction, you can either enjoy it that way, or go searching online for help (like I often do, haha).
Old 10-05-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Ah, i may be more confused now. I kindled a bonfire in the asylum, not knowing what it did and I saw my flasks go from 5 to 10. So now I am beyond that level.....so if I die on the next level (i did and turned the game off) I will only have 5 flasks now because this isn't the bonfire I kindled?
You can kindle another one when you have two Humanity (one to become human, one to kindle), it's just that you can only have one kindled at a time. If you rest at another bonfire that isn't your currently kindled one, then yes, you will only get 5 flasks instead of 10 when you die and respawn there.

Originally Posted by flashburn
At the very beginning of the game they put down messages to help you learn the controls. They definitely mention the jumping mechanism.
I read all the messages and remember one about jumping, but wasn't it for a jump attack? (I still haven't perfected that either, btw!) I'm talking about holding the button to get a sprint going, then releasing it and tapping it again to actually jump freely. It's entirely possible that this was covered in the tutorial messages and I missed it or forgot about it.
Old 10-05-11, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I got to play for about 90 minutes last night and didn't die at all. I think it was because I was scared shitless of the game, and playing very carefully. For example, as soon as I got the hint that I can stab downward while falling, I automatically did so when I fell down on the tutorial boss, which too half his life, and the rest was easy peasy. I KNOW it'll get tougher, WAY tougher, but starting out, it's been kind of a cake walk.
Old 10-05-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just made it past the first bell. I'm not sure which way I want to go now; there seems to be a few options. I like how the areas are starting to link together.
Old 10-05-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's this about getting human and un-zombiefied?
Old 10-05-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Ive played for 12 hours or so and Im just barely getting a grasp on this games mechanics.

I know that you can only summon people to help you if you are human, and you can only be summoned into someone elses game if you are human. Also your world can only be invaded if you are human.

Found an AMAZING sword just a few hours into the game. Think its called the Flying Dragon Sword or something like that. Highly recommend you look it up on youtube if you are interested.

Ive wasted tons of souls Im afraid trying to learn the Heal miracle for my warrior. Ive neglected strength, dexterity, endurance, and health, and now Im starting to pay for it.
Old 10-06-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I played for another hour last night. This game is kinda tricky becuase when you are going to the right place, its really hard. So if you are going to the wrong place and its really hard, you'll never know it.

I spent a while going downstairs at Firelink Shrine and I would get destroyed by the white ghosts. Okay...don't go that way.

I went up instead, to the graveyard and got my butt handed to me over and over by the skeletons.....at least I could hit them so I thought this was the right path.

Looked up on the wiki today and there is a 3rd place to go I didn't even know existed and that is where you are supposed to go in the beginning. Guess I will go there.

I think I will spend more time looking for online help with this game than any other...
Old 10-06-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea until just now that there are NPC's that you can bring in to help with fights, the same way you would with other players. I guess I don't spend enough time as human to notice any marks on the ground.
Old 10-06-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played for about an hour last night and made it to the Undead Burg (or whatever that place is called). Seems a little more forgiving than Demon's Souls. I'm having a lot of fun so far.

I contemplated buying the guide, but some of the fun is in exploring and figuring stuff out for yourself. There are also wikis out there if you really get stuck.
Old 10-06-11, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'm torn between the desire to discover everything for myself and avoid all spoilers, or looking online to discover secrets I'd probably never find otherwise (already found 2 great weapons, including the one I use pretty much constantly now, from online tips).

The game definitely isn't any more forgiving than Demon's Souls once you get farther into it.

I'm pretty much finished with Undead Burg, but of course it opens into several other areas that I'm starting to explore now. It's all a matter of figuring out which area is slightly more survivable than the others.

Currently working on the Catacombs, which are an absolute nightmare.
Old 10-06-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

In the first game, I would spend most of my time as a phantom so that nobody would come in and try to mess with me while I was farming or questing (then I would suicide in a world that I wanted to make darker).

I agree about the controls. They could at least explain the basics, seeing as how the instruction manual is pretty bare. I must have missed the jumping hint as well, and I used a flask by accident. I also had no idea how to use magic until I stopped and experimented. I don't mind the game being hard, but at least explain the controls.

In another nitpicky complaint, while the deluxe box is nice (though I have no idea why game companies are enamored with these tins), they manage to fit three languages on the package and yet no screenshots or even a decent description of the game. I'm sure they're expecting those that played Demon's Souls to pick this up anyway, and maybe everyone just goes online to view game descriptions, but I was a little surprised.

Other than that, I love the game. Like the last one, I'm wary, almost scared, whenever I enter a new place... that initial boss "fight" through the doors is great in that regard, where you just know you're in over your head. Are there still geckoes in this one? If so, I'll have to look those up and plan accordingly. Also, I'm not that far along but do you eventually either have a home base or find a way to open up portals, or is it just one cohesive world this time?

What class is everyone using?
Old 10-06-11, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are geckos in this one. I've found 2 so far; one is close to the 1st boss.

The areas start to link together as you go through them and open new doors. It's laid out as one big world. I'm not expecting there to be any type of portals.

I'm using a thief. The master key is nice and they had decent stats to start.
Old 10-06-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I saw this in the RedBox today and rented it blindly (and the new Spiderman game)...looks like it may be quite the spectacle.
Old 10-06-11, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone else finding the controls to be a rather unresponsive and overly sluggish? Feels like there's a delay between button presses and the resulting action, and hit detection seems off too - basically, bad controls making a tough game tougher than it needs to be.
Old 10-06-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check your equipped weight. If it's more than 50% of your weight limit, every action you take will be noticeably slower. I know this because I'm playing as a knight with heavy armor. Sometimes it's easier to just unequip the armor to fight certain bosses, since dodging is practically impossible with a lot of weight on.

To check this stat, go into your status screen and look at "Equip Load."
Old 10-06-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Noonan
There are geckos in this one. I've found 2 so far; one is close to the 1st boss.
I noticed that the geckos respawn if you don't kill them. In Demon's Souls didn't they only appear once and if you didn't kill it you were screwed?
Old 10-06-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
I noticed that the geckos respawn if you don't kill them. In Demon's Souls didn't they only appear once and if you didn't kill it you were screwed?
They had some internal spawn counter, which started at one, and increased whenever a main boss was killed. So if you saw one and couldn't kill it, you had to go kill a boss to get even a chance at another spawn, so you had to make sure you knew where they were and were able to kill them when you saw them.

Are there still light/dark levels in stages (that effect the environment and enemies)?
Old 10-06-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, they got rid of character and world tendencies, woohoo! That shit was annoying.
Old 10-06-11, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Only got to play for a little bit today but I was able to beat a fairly tough boss (for me anyway) and I got invaded too, which was fun. Kicked the guys ass pretty quickly and got a nice shield out of it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.