Reload this Page >

Tales of the Batman - Gene Colon

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 10-12-11, 04:45 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Early '80s Batman goodness from DC in a HC premium format. Just got mine and this is great stuff to be sure. Not enough early '80s Batman out there, and this is some of the best.
Old 10-12-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts
Re: Tales of the Batman - Gene Colon

Looks like a nice volume. I'm jonesing for the Jim Aparo one.
Old 10-12-11, 10:49 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The Don Newton one should also be great. The late, great Don Newton is one of the under-rated artists of the Bronze Age.

Old 10-13-11, 01:09 AM
Banned

This Marshall Rogers one is definitely on my list as well.
Old 10-15-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Colan, Rogers, and Aparo were all in my Gold Box quick picks today I bit on Aparo for an extra buck off.
Old 10-15-11, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
Colan, Rogers, and Aparo were all in my Gold Box quick picks today I bit on Aparo for an extra buck off.
I get tons of tpbs in my quick pick box but they're rarely the ones I want. I also don't like the way you're limited to just one now. I was fairly certain at one time you could pick from as many you wanted.
Old 10-17-11, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I get tons of tpbs in my quick pick box but they're rarely the ones I want. I also don't like the way you're limited to just one now. I was fairly certain at one time you could pick from as many you wanted.
You can still get multiple quick pick discounts on Amazon in your goldbox.
Old 04-12-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got the Jim Aparo volume and it's 500 glossy pages!
Old 04-12-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, it's nice. I was unaware until I read it in the hardcover that he passed away in 2005. What a great artist, no one ever did a better Phantom Stranger than him.
Old 04-12-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't realize that it was 23 issues of Brave and the Bold, which is fine with me because I used to subscribe to that mag back when it was delivered folded in a brown paper wrapper. Brave and the Bold Archives pretty much.

I was expecting it'd be a random assortment like the "Greatest ___ Stories Ever Told" series and hoping for this issue:

But the cover clearly says Vol. 1, so let's hope for more.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yep, it's nice. I was unaware until I read it in the hardcover that he passed away in 2005. What a great artist, no one ever did a better Phantom Stranger than him.
And who would know better than you?
Old 04-13-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Can someone post the cover to this? I tried looking for it online and I don't think the one listed at Amazon and the others I see are the final product. I simply can't remember if I ordered this or not.

Aparo is easily my favorite Batman artist and even though I'm sure I already have every issue he's done in one format or another, I'd like to have this on my shelf as well.
Old 04-13-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ytrez
Can someone post the cover to this? I tried looking for it online and I don't think the one listed at Amazon and the others I see are the final product. I simply can't remember if I ordered this or not.

Aparo is easily my favorite Batman artist and even though I'm sure I already have every issue he's done in one format or another, I'd like to have this on my shelf as well.
Amazon often posts placeholder art then never updates it. This customer image is correct, though:

Old 04-14-12, 07:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Have an unrealistic dream to someday own all of the DC 100 pagers from the 70s and 80s, or whatever years they were.
And who would know better than you?
If this forum was facebook you would have got a huge for that post.

Loved the Phantom Stranger all of my life and am attempting to own every appearance of he and my other favorite DC characters like Spectre, Deadman, and Swamp Thing.
Old 04-14-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Have an unrealistic dream to someday own all of the DC 100 pagers from the 70s and 80s, or whatever years they were.
I love 'em too. After we were discussing them in the Comic series before big character debut thread, I went to Emerald City Comic Con and picked up a couple of the Brave and the Bold 100PSS, though coincidentally I think the main stories might be included in the new Aparo volume. But I have those stories anyway in the Brave and the Bold Showcase. What I wanted these floppy copies for was the peripheral reprint stories like the Secret Six--I read this story about them then nothing ever again, and to my knowledge these haven't been reprinted or collected. The 100PSS always seem to be pretty expensive, but they were 70% off at the con, so around $1.50.

Old 04-14-12, 11:50 AM

Wow, always dream of finding a store sale or con where I can finish off my 70s collections that cheaply. Of course, I need to organize my last splurge into the hobby before I buy any more. About 5 years ago I went on a comics kick and between ebay and local shops I bought several long boxes worth of stuff; all still unorganized, much of it unopened in the packages from the sellers.

Thanks for that thread link, I somehow missed that one. It's full of eye candy for me. I really loved those 100 pagers. I think I own at least 50 of them, maybe I'll make cleaning up and reading some comics my summer project.
Old 04-14-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, always dream of finding a store sale or con where I can finish off my 70s collections that cheaply. Of course, I need to organize my last splurge into the hobby before I buy any more. About 5 years ago I went on a comics kick and between ebay and local shops I bought several long boxes worth of stuff; all still unorganized, much of it unopened in the packages from the sellers.
In retrospect I probably should have bought more but (1) it was early in the day and I was conscious about my cash and my armloads and (2) I believe these were relatively cheap--I remember picking one copy over another because it was 30 cents cheaper. I'll check my LCS on Free Comic Book Day since they discount everything in the store on that day and often have especially good deals on floppies.

Thanks for that thread link, I somehow missed that one. It's full of eye candy for me. I really loved those 100 pagers. I think I own at least 50 of them, maybe I'll make cleaning up and reading some comics my summer project.
I wasn't going to link the other thread, but noticed that you hadn't commented in it and it seemed Trevorish, so I figured better safe than sorry. I loved looking at the 100PSS and the digests too.
Old 04-14-12, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the content inside? The reviews for the Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers say there were some serious printing flaws/errors.
Old 04-15-12, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Loved the Phantom Stranger all of my life and am attempting to own every appearance of he and my other favorite DC characters like Spectre, Deadman, and Swamp Thing.
This is not my blog below, but another fan went through every major and minor Phantom Stranger appearance in chronological order (through 2010 anyway). It's a great read and highly recommended.

http://iamthephantomstranger.blogspot.com/
Old 04-15-12, 09:19 AM

I wasn't going to link the other thread, but noticed that you hadn't commented in it and it seemed Trevorish, so I figured better safe than sorry. I loved looking at the 100PSS and the digests too.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is not my blog below, but another fan went through every major and minor Phantom Stranger appearance in chronological order (through 2010 anyway). It's a great read and highly recommended.

http://iamthephantomstranger.blogspot.com/
I seriously love you guys.
Old 04-16-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kodave
How is the content inside? The reviews for the Legends of the Dark Knight: Marshall Rogers say there were some serious printing flaws/errors.
About halfway through and haven't found any problems. Gutters are a little tight.

I seriously love you guys.
Old 04-17-12, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Amazon often posts placeholder art then never updates it. This customer image is correct, though:

Thanks much! I checked and found ordered it but haven't received it yet from DCBS.

That's not much of a cover though. There are plenty better examples of Jim's work they could have used.

Aparo is my favorite Batman artist. He took what Adams introduced and, IMO, made it better. I wish he had a stronger inker for his final work on Batman than Mike DeCarlo (whose work I never enjoyed).
Old 04-17-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ytrez
Thanks much! I checked and found ordered it but haven't received it yet from DCBS.

That's not much of a cover though. There are plenty better examples of Jim's work they could have used.

Aparo is my favorite Batman artist. He took what Adams introduced and, IMO, made it better. I wish he had a stronger inker for his final work on Batman than Mike DeCarlo (whose work I never enjoyed).
Yeah, not my favorite cover either. But I paged through some of the covers in the volume and a lot of them give more presence to the guest star or the villain (makes sense considering the theme of the series and the other Batman titles that would have been on the shelf at the time). Plus, a couple of the better ones (Black Canary and Joker) have already been used for the Showcase Presents series.

Old 04-17-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, not my favorite cover either. But I paged through some of the covers in the volume and a lot of them give more presence to the guest star or the villain (makes sense considering the theme of the series and the other Batman titles that would have been on the shelf at the time). Plus, a couple of the better ones (Black Canary and Joker) have already been used for the Showcase Presents series.
Because you can never have too many classic covers in a comics thread:

Old 06-21-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

F yes, a second Jim Aparo volume coming in 2014!

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Dark-K.../dp/1401242960

Old 06-22-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I love Jim's work. Too bad it started to slide in the early 80's. I have most if not all the floppies of B&B and the early stuff is fantastic. His run on Adventure with the Spectre and Phantom Stranger's book is probably the best work he did. I think we had a discussion about this in another thread awhile back. It's still a good time to get the original runs since his work is so underrated that their reasonably priced even for raw mint copies.