Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone traded in their games at Best Buy???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-15-11, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are their trade in prices??? would you recommend it???
Old 08-15-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts
Re: Anyone traded in their games at Best Buy???

I have. Once in a while they give a great deal on an older game. I traded in 3 games that maybe would have netted me $15 each on Ebay (or less after fees) for $60 total.
Old 08-15-11, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I usually use Amazon and really no issues with them. At least they post the price of what you can expect and I take the credit and apply it to another game. However I'd like to hear more of BB trades and value.
Old 08-15-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I just did this past week. Took advantage of 40% more trade in value for games. It was sort of a PITA b/c their computers were messed up, so it took about 10 minutes longer than it should've. But, it worked out in the end, so no big deal.
Old 08-15-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I've traded there a couple times. They're not bad, but it kind of weirds me out that I have to give them a thumbprint when trading. In terms of trade-in values, I'd say that about half the time, they've been the same or more than I'd have made by selling a title on half.com or Amazon.
Old 08-15-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They also take back any game. I traded a Madden game from 4 or 5 years ago. I only got a few dollars but Gamestop won't even take old sports games back. At least really old ones. The prices I got for the other games I traded were pretty fair. Hassle free and they didn't ask if I wanted to pre-order anything.
Old 08-15-11, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done 4-5 trade-in's now through BB, and probably the same through Amazon. The first couple at BB were lengthy (mostly because I did them at the service desk), but now they have specific registers in the game area it's not too bad. You can check the prices yourself at https://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/Qu...ames.cfm?h=488. BB also runs promotions like GameStop so make sure you know the current ones (right now 2 or more games 25% extra, or 40% extra if you reserve something). I've read horror stories about sending them in to BB's clearing house (length of time it takes to get a gift card) so I wouldn't go that way.

Amazon also shows you the trade-in value on the website so it's easy to compare where you'll get more. Amazon pays shipping you just have to box it/drop it off for UPS, and then the credit gets deposited in your account within 4-5 days. Amazon though doesn't seem to do any promotions so what you see is what you get.

Another nice thing about BB is I've been using the credit to get Amazon gift cards anyway so it really all ends up in the same place.
Old 08-15-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I've traded there a couple times. They're not bad, but it kind of weirds me out that I have to give them a thumbprint when trading. In terms of trade-in values, I'd say that about half the time, they've been the same or more than I'd have made by selling a title on half.com or Amazon.
Thumbprint? Weird. That's not something they did for me. I wonder if it has to do with your local ordinances, where they consider this type of a transaction a pawn-type transaction. Do they do that if you had to trade something in at a Gamestop?
Old 08-16-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did 2 trade-ins via mail to Best Buy last year - took a while to complete the process, but I had no problems. Since they started the in-store trade-ins, I've done 3-4 of those, as well. No problems at all, except one time the register at the video game kiosk was broken, so I had to go over to the Geek Squad desk, which took longer (the Geek Squad guy wasn't as experienced doing it as the video game people). Prices were good with their bonuses (each time I did it, there was either a 40% or 50% bonus), and I like being able to have them check the games right in front of me - I've read too many stories where people had problems sending stuff in to Best Buy or Amazon.

And, as Edison says, most (but not all) Best Buy's sell Amazon Kindle gift cards which work just like a normal Amazon gift card, so you can choose to go that route if you like. I'm usually spend half of my credit on Amazon gift cards and keep half on the Best Buy gift card.
Old 08-16-11, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Thumbprint? Weird. That's not something they did for me. I wonder if it has to do with your local ordinances, where they consider this type of a transaction a pawn-type transaction. Do they do that if you had to trade something in at a Gamestop?
Nope, I've never seen any other store do anything like it. At the trade-in/pre-order desk in the video game section, there's what looks like a second credit card scanner, but it has a digital fingerprint scanner on the side and is only used for trade transactions. I balked at it the first time I traded there, but the guy doing the trade insisted they'd installed them at every store and it was just part of the process of trading with Best Buy.