Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

MTV's 30th Aniversary weekend July 30th-August 1st on Vh1 Classic

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-22-11, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I have been seeing commercials on VH1 classic for next weekend's (7/30-8/1) programming to celebrate MTV's 30th Aniversary. Does anyone know what they are planning to show? I hope they get in the vault and show plenty of different programs and music videos from MTv's history, and not the same 80s videos they air all the time.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 07-22-11 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-22-11, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MTV's 30th Aniversary weekend July 30th-August 1st on Vh1 Classic

I am going to go out on a limb and say that they won't be showing any music videos.
Old 07-22-11, 08:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/jul...iversary.shtml

VH1 Classic is airing "MTV30 On VH1 Classic," a three day tribute to MTV beginning Saturday, July 30 at 6AM to Monday, August 1 at midnight. "MTV30 On VH1 Classic" will relive countless iconic moments in MTV's history with segments from memorable musical performances, hit series, specials, promos and news events that shaped the history of the network. Viewers can also experience MTV's first original hour of programming from its debut back in 1981 during the tribute marathon Sunday night, July 31, at midnight on VH1 Classic.
From MTV News and "Beavis and Butt-Head" to Britney and Madonna's VMA kiss and unforgettable Spring Break performances, MTV fans can bask in the pop culture land marks that shaped their youth and celebrate 30 years of MTV on VH1 Classic beginning Saturday, July 30 at 6AM ET/PT. The three-day celebration will contain a must-see mix of clips from favorite classic series including Remote Control, YO! MTV Raps, Beavis and Butt-Head, Headbangers Ball, The Real World, Liquid TV, Club MTV and more unforgettable moments from MTV specials including The MTV Movie Awards, VMA's and Live Aid, among others. The original first hour of MTV's debut will air Sunday night, July 31, at midnight on VH1 Classic and feature music videos, including the first video ever played on MTV, "Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Buggles, as well as classic VJ segments from the original MTV VJ's: J.J. Jackson, Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Martha Quinn and Alan Hunter.

The marathon will also showcase many of the original promos and contests from MTV's early days including Miss Cleo, Nintendo Power Glove, John Mellencamp's Pink House Giveaway, and the original "I Want My MTV" ad campaign.
Paint the Mother Pink!
Old 07-22-11, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pretty funny that the MTV channel itself isn't airing it. It has come a long way down in those 30 years.

if you want a good flashback look at stuff like this

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y49O9T0jPHM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-23-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Even if some of the music sucked at least back in the day all they played was music and maybe you could discover a band or song that you never heard before and might like.

FUSE is probably the closest to a real music channel besides VH1 Classic.
Old 07-23-11, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

even the stuff that sucked back then I'd much rather hear than the stuff that sucks now! What was cool is that you see they played little unknown bands too- they would never do something like that now.

VH1 Classic used to be better. It's becoming like VH1 slowly but surely. Why do they need to play movies that aren't music related? What's the fixation with just metal music? I stopped watching after they axed a 60's music video block they had.
Old 07-31-11, 12:37 AM

Old 07-31-11, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. They really are playing the first hour - including the original commercials. Rerunning tomorrow at 8am, 1pm, & 9pm.
Old 08-01-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Lokimok
Wow. They really are playing the first hour - including the original commercials. Rerunning tomorrow at 8am, 1pm, & 9pm.
Just got done watching it....."IN STEREO!!!"

Have to say that that was a complete buzzkill when that special of The Ramones had to cut to a Jackass episode (Time-limit ran out)
Old 08-01-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the first hour was cool but this turned to random trash afterward- had to turn it off. Showing a Jackass episode with early 80s MTV promos directly following the first hour from 1981 makes zero sense.
Old 08-01-11, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With the crap that dominates the top 40 now I am thankful MTVs top priority programming is Jersey Shore and Teen Mom instead of music related stuff.
Old 08-01-11, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by statcat
the first hour was cool but this turned to random trash afterward- had to turn it off. Showing a Jackass episode with early 80s MTV promos directly following the first hour from 1981 makes zero sense.
Agreed, I had it all DVR'd but after the first 6-7 hours, its been basically a loop of the same stuff over and over again.
Old 08-01-11, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Howie2000
With the crap that dominates the top 40 now I am thankful MTVs top priority programming is Jersey Shore and Teen Mom instead of music related stuff.
In fairness we can also blame the top 40 today on the fact that MTV has moved so far away from music programming that people have relied on payola radio and shows like American Idol to keep them "in the know" about music. If MTV put forth the effort to nurturing artists the way that they care about Snooki and The Situation, chances are that maybe just maybe there might be some more decent music getting actual exposure. Sadly even with YouTube and Spotify/Multiply/Pandora/whatever... way too many people play it very safe with the music they listen to. MTV broke a lot of acts in the 80's and 90's who likely wouldn't have been superstars had they only relied on the radio... without that type of exposure its practically impossible to break big today unless you do Idol, Disney Channel or have serious payola to break you.
Old 08-01-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
but after the first 6-7 hours, its been basically a loop of the same stuff over and over again.
Ummm...You just described MTV through the 80s.
Old 08-01-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Kept hearing on almost every radio station this morning that today is the 30th Anniversary. Need to dust off my Buggles music.
Old 08-01-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Martha Quinn as she look now.

I thought she look great at her age. She remind me of Karen Allen.
Old 08-01-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Ummm...You just described MTV through the 80s.
Music videos are one thing. This whole "three days of nothing but highlights from MTV's first 30 years" highlighted as this 72 hour must-DVR celebration that turns out to be about 5 or 6 hours repeated over and over again is kinda disappointing. If that was to be that case, I would've rather maybe VH1 Classic air entire old VMA shows, old unplugged concerts (Nirvana, Clapton, LL Cool J and George Michael were highlighted on there), maybe a "Best of Live Aid", some Beavis And Butt-Head and Remote Control episodes, some old 120 Minutes, Headbanger's Ball, Yo MTV Raps, etc with old MTV commercials in between.... That would've made more sense than what they've been showing instead, which is just little excerpts from all of the above.
Old 08-01-11, 02:44 PM

I could watch that fifteen minute space shuttle pre-launch all day.

It would have been nice if VH1 Classic aired MTV's first 24 hours on August 1st instead of just Hour One (or the first 12 hours shown twice, or even the first 8 hours shown three times). I'm already tired of them airing the same stuff that had been on all day Saturday and Sunday.

Who else thought Dee Dee Ramone looked liked Bruce Lee near the end of the first hour?
Old 08-01-11, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very disappointed about the programming of this weekend-long special as well. Even though they did pick some great moments, they could have picked even more. I do like seeing the first 10 minutes of the very first Real World episode from season 1 as that was a much better show than what reality TV has become, but why not a full episode, or a full episode of Remote Control?

And I've seen Thriller so many friggin' times now that it's really not as big a deal anymore as it once was (Although it was interesting to see it on the same day [Sunday] that John Landis appeared on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show and was talking about the making of it; They probably had no idea VH1 Classic was screening it ad-nauseum all weekend).

The LL Cool J segment from the hip-hop episode of Unplugged is still awesome to see now (Nice that LL does have at least one historic moment in his career), but I'm not sure why the segments are all shown out of order. Why have Jackass on during the same hour as promos from the early '80's? I agree with that. They probably should show all of the Unplugged shows that were the best like Nirvana and Clapton (What about REM's episode? And for that matter, they could have shown a few clips from the early episodes with Jules Shear).

The 1st hour of MTV's existence with the commercials--Really cool to see that now as I didn't even have MTV until 1988, but I have a question. Did most people see all of that space coverage in the first 12 minutes, or was that not transmitting everywhere? Because the clip of the first hour that's on YouTube has it cutting in just before the liftoff of the craft and then the John Lack line that comes after it (Wiki even says only people in New Jersey were able to see it).

I noticed that when we got MTV in the late 80's they were starting to phase out the VJ's. You didn't really see Mark Goodman or Martha Quinn very much (I'm not sure who was on then except Adam Curry and Downtown Julie Brown), and when the 90's started, The Real World came on along with a few other programs, and that was probably the beginning of the end of the good days of MTV, except for The State and You Wrote It, You Watch It with John Stewart.

And what about 120 Minutes? Nothing from that during this special??

Last edited by HUG-H; 08-01-11 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Did most people see all of that space coverage in the first 12 minutes, or was that not transmitting everywhere? Because the clip of the first hour that's on YouTube has it cutting in just before the liftoff of the craft and then the John Lack line that comes after it (Wiki even says only people in New Jersey were able to see it).

They showed 12+ minutes of shuttle countdown here (DirecTV, Ohio).

Or are you talking 'originally'?
Old 08-01-11, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow

I meant on the original broadcast. I did see the beginning of it on here in CT on DirecTV when I DVR'd the midnight airing of it!

BTW, whatever happened to PhD? And where were they from exactly?? I've never even seen that video or that band before!

Last edited by HUG-H; 08-01-11 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-01-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one thing I liked about "the first hour" is that they aired the original commercials too. My significant other is a self-proclaimed comic/sci-fi geek and he got a kick out of seeing the Superman II commercial.

I also liked the original video tags, as far as I'm aware, MTV had moved to the more familiar ones by 1982 from YouTube clips I've seen of recordings
Old 08-01-11, 03:54 PM

I also agree that it's ridiculous that MTV isn't screening its own retrospective. It's kind of like throwing a surprise birthday party for a no-show.
Old 08-01-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow

I think the "countdown" started well before the channel officially launched, several hours or even a whole day IIRC.
Old 08-01-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That Buggles song is as catchy as ever. It's been running through my head all day.

It would have been cool if they did a one-hour compilation for each year; I would have watched a bunch of those. But I guess that would have been too much trouble.

As long as they're showing old MTV stuff, I'd love to see a marathon of Sorority Life season 1. Candace...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.