View Single Post
Old 04-27-11, 07:59 PM   #21
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: May 2011 Make-Your-Own Challenge ***Lists Go Here***

The

Challenge

Rules:

Anything personally bought at Big Lots is considered be fair game. Titles purchased elsewhere are also acceptable if cross-referenced to one of the Big Lots threads in the DVD Bargains sub-forum. In the case you will want to note the price you bought it at and the price it sold for at Big Lots. Also you would need to use the same edition as sold at Big Lots. For example if you wanted to watch Blade Runner then you would only be able to watch the 2-Disc DVD set or the old snapper, no case or BR or HD-DVD set.

Movies = 1 entry (despite running time)

TV shows count according to length as they're aired on TV (including commercials):
30 minute shows = an entry
1 hour shows = an entry
2 hour shows = 1 entry

Mini-Series = 1 entry for each day it aired

Commentaries count. (no restrictions)

Up to three wild cards can be used on titles that were purchased at other closeout locations but never formally offered by Big Lots (i.e. Ross Dress For Less, Wal-Mart dump bin, ect.).

Checklist:
Spoiler:

Watch one film from every decade Big Lots has sold.
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch a film for each rating:
--- Unrated (pre-MPAA) - (insert film title here)
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- Unrated/X/NC-17 (post-1968) -

Watch films in at least three price tiers ($3, $5, $6, $9, $10 [Bonus for non-standard non-coupon tier price]).
--- First Price Tier, (insert price), (insert title).
--- Second Price Tier, (insert price), (insert title).
--- Third Price Tier, (insert price), (insert title).

Watch films in at least one language other than English [Bonus for additional languages].
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).

Watch a film in each of the following genres/types:
--- Action/Adventure - (insert film title here)
--- Comedy -
--- Crime -
--- Disaster/Terrorist -
--- Documentary -
--- Drama -
--- Movie you saw and liked when you were a kid and only bought because it was so cheap -
--- Fantasy/Scifi -
--- Anime -
--- Horror -
--- Musical -
--- Mystery -
--- Chick Flick -
--- War/Western -

Title Sold At Big Lots Purchased Elsewhere:
--- (Title) (Price Paid) (Big Lots Price/Money Saved/Lost)

--- *Bonus* (worth 3 checks) Watch one of the 3 BluRay title ever sold at Big Lots.

Goal: 50
Legend:
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- May 1st
Commentary
1.)
Commentary "Battlefield Earth" (2000) *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Bridging this challeng to last months B-Movie challenge I decided to see if the BAttlefield Earth commentary was like the parody commentary of The Postman on The Simpsons. It surprisingly was not, recorded prior to the film aquiring it's stigma the director is almost overly positive about the experience. The commentary is pretty run of the mill but the director does have a few interesting stories to tell between comparing his movie to Star Wars and Kurosawa.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 2.4 out of 10
2.)
A Mighty Heart (2007) **
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I normally don't watch things this low in the "to watch" pile but after trying to have the wife sit though Battlefield Earth I needed to make a concession. My first thought was man I am really tired of this kind of movie. Then, fuck It's about that guy, I don't want to watch this. It wasn't bad but it was real depressing and they did manage to make Angelina Jolie not hot. Not something I plan on revisiting.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Very sad ending. They need to put the captionated you know Indian or whatever speaking. Note: you will want to turn on subtitles #5 if you plan on watching this one. Sad to be true story. She did good job but that accent very difficult somehow. Good movie.

(4 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 6.7 out of 10
- May 2nd
3.) & 4.)
The Stand Parts 1 & 2 (1994)
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
(From The Stephen King Gift Set)
My Thoughts: Not quite as good as I remember from seeing it as a kid or compared to the source material that I recently enjoyed but still a solid peice of entertainment. I have always enjoyed these end of the world movies and this one hits that spot but it feels like it is stuck on fast forward compared to the book.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.2 out of 10
5.)
Return Of The Boogeyman (1994) *
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
(Double Feature with The Boogeyman)
My Thoughts: Fuck, this movie is awful. Easily the worst thing I have seen since Ghoulies IV! Never before have I seen a "sequel" show so many scenes from the first movie, to a point where it is beyond ridiculous, there are more flashback scenes than original ones in this travesty of celluloid.
(1 out of 5)

My Wife's Thoughts: That's not sequel just explain the movies. Suck. Nothing special, they didn't have to make this. Booo. Cause that's too much last movie nothing new, just review.

(1 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 1.4 out of 10
- May 3rd
6.) & 7.)
The Stand Parts 3 & 4 (1994)
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: This half doesn't hold up quite as well as the first half. Although it seems like King's endings never translate well to film. At least better than the horrible CG Langoleirs ending.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.2 out of 10
- May 4th
8.) - 14.)
The Golden Years (1991) *
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: After an accident at a government research facility an old Janitor starts pulling a Benjamin Button. Then he goes on the run on what feels like a bit of a slow X-Files episode. Entertaining but I think I would have liked it better if I had been 60+.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 5.0 out of 10
15.)
Casanova (2005) (Wildcard #1) *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Another concession title after having my wife sit through that piece of shit Return of the Boogeyman. Picked up this one at the now defunct megamovieoutlet.com at the $3 price point. This one was a fun romcom, not sure if I would have liked it as much without Heath Ledger though. Also it felt surprisingly tame for an R rated movie about the worlds most notorious lover.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Good, Heath Ledger main, he's gone, sad. 4-star love comedy but middle little weird situation unrealistic. Some disparaging remark, in Japanese, about me resembling one of the characters which I most certainly don't.

(4 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 6.5 out of 10
- May 5th
16.)
The Ruins (2008) *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Why are these bad things always happening to American tourists? This is serviceable monster movie, reminding me of the evil oil slick from Creepshow. But like that one it didn't quite deliver on the backstory to my satisfaction. So basically we were 10 minutes of plot away from being a 4 star movie, it would have needed to be a good 10 minutes though.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Pretty good, everyone dies. Did it make you want to go to Mexico?. Probably not soon, I will think about it. I will think about Machu Picchu too. Gross, yeah shouldn't go and have to learn language.
(4 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 6.0 out of 10
- May 7th
17.)
Born To Win (1971) *
--- ($4 Tier Title) ---
From The St. Clair Vision Star Power Set
My Thoughts: Some fun moments but it just played too slow for me. I know the style is in keeping with the times but the quality of the print prevented me from really enjoying that slower burn. Also a bit run of the mill, gritty New York, cops and junkies.
(2.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Finished? Extremely slow deshita at first, I don't understand what they want to tell, seriously. she got arrested friends dies, he's wrong, don't understand.
(3 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 5.7 out of 10
18.)
The Tracey Fragments (2007) *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Visually very entertaining, and the story is decent. But like most films that Ellen Paige chooses to be in this movie is a bit up it's own ass. Still it was decent, had some teen sex and was fun to look at.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: This is not movie it's more like documentary and i don't understand what they want to say really. So she was normal or what? And brother dead? Couldn't get it some point. But need a little more something the end seriously. Ellen Paige is not really cute cute or anything just regular people, just good actress.
(3.5 out of 5)

- May 9th
19.) - 19.5.)
Police Squad! (Complete Series) (1982) *
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I loved the Naked Gun series as a kid and this is more of the same, classic Zucker. There are a lot of bits that were re-used in the movies but there is enough new here to still be enjoyable for any fan. Why did they cancel this? My only complaint would be I liked the actors that played Ed & Nordburg in the movies much better.
(4 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 8.7 out of 10
- May 11th
20.) - 22.)
Stella (Complete Series) (2005) *
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I rode a strange line when watching this one of not liking the premise but enjoying the episodes, especially the outro stings. I want to grade it a 3 but, for the simple fact I was compelled and want more, it deserves a bit more. Nice to see Johnny Blue Jeans still on the scene.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 8.1 out of 10
- May 12th
23.)
"A Fine Madness" (1966) *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Connery as a ladies man in a screwball 60's comedy, right there I was sold. But then they make him a misogynist, alimony-dodging, accidental wife beater. There are still a few amusing moments in this film but it gets really dark and uncomfortable at times (stop reading now for spoiler reasons). There is even a point where Connery gets forcibly lobotomized. Makes me wonder how this played back in 66...
(3.5 out of 5)
- May 13th
24.)
Alfie (1966) *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Wow, 1966 bringing the extremely dysfunctional ladies men. Better than the Connery one but it did make me a little sad. Felt very much like a Woody Allen Movie without Woody Allen. Michael Caine was, as always, great and got me really excited to see him in the original Payback.
(4 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.1 out of 10
- May 15th
25.) - 27.5)
Dr Katz (Season 1) (1995)
Commentary Dr Katz (Season 1) (1995) *
--- ($5 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I remember when I was a kid watching this all the time to the point were I started to hate it. Watching it now it is just a really relaxing show and it's fun to hear all the 90's stand up again. The commentary was similarly mellow, and my crush on Laura has been rekindled.
(Actually 2.75 entries but rounded down to 2.5)
(4 out of 5)
- May 16th
28.) - 31.)
Dr Katz (Season 2) (1995)
Commentary Dr Katz (Season 2) (1995) *
--- ($5 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: This one was bittersweet. On the one hand we have better commentaries but there are less of them. Then we have the show which has really hits it's stride at this point but now I can't finish it. Or I can but I have to buy the Complete Series. Why the fuck did they release seasons 1 and 2 separately and then not seasons 3 thru 6? So I am either out the 10 bucks I spent on these 2 or out of luck on the last 4 seasons. This is what happens when I break my complete series rules. I thought I had learned my lesson from Farscape but apparently I need a refresher every half decade or so. Anyway, content great, Comedy Central bad.
(Actually 3.75 entries but rounded down to 3.5)
(4.5 out of 5)
- May 17th
32.)
Conan O'Brien: 10th Anniversary Special (2004)
The Best Of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog (2004)
--- ($6 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I was a little miffed at first that this "double feature" consists of 2 1-hour shows. But I have to admit, this is the most I have laughed all week. A great episode/retrospective for Conan and I think everything Triumph up until the release of this disc back in 04. A commentary and another episode or 2 of Conan would have been nice but It did brighten up my day.
(4 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 8.4 out of 10
- May 18th
33.)
Comedy Central Roast of Denis Leary (2003)
--- ($5 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Maybe I saw this one too many times when it first aired or maybe the comedy just isn't playing anymore. Either way I was amused various times but never to the point of say loling.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 6.8 out of 10
- May 20th
34.)
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie (1990)* *
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I am a sucker for a good horror anthology. This one isn't quite as good as either of the Creepshows but it is entertaining. The second story is by far the best of the three.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: (First she mocks me for 2 minutes about writing down what she is saying). "Good but I can guess easily that ending, so I gess started 3.5 but drop to 3 star. But I still like cat no mater what. Last one I guess the ending, second one is easy to guess to but the best. First one just famous people in the movie. Suppose to be shouldn't guess the ending but I kinda know that lady is evil in the middle, that cat story too."

(3 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 5.7 out of 10
35.) - 42.)
Star Trek: Fan Collective - Borg (1989+)
--- ($10 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I scoffed when these collections came out for the X-Files and even when they started coming out for Star Trek, but then the Borg Collection came out. Before I go on I should note that while I personally don't own the ST season sets, I did buy them, for my mom, so it is something I could borrow if the need arises. Anyways, the Borg have always been my favorite ST Villains, so since I don't officially have the ST season in my collection this was a no-brainer. OK, onto the content. Man the Enterprise theme song is a lot worse than I remember also I question the logic of putting this episode with the most advanced Borg at the beginning of the collection even though it does come first chronologically. In the middle we have our classic TNG Borg episodes and then they get to the Voyager ones which are for my money the best ones in this set. The Voyager feature length series finally was a great send off to the not only the Star Trek experience but their most powerful enemy as well. Since it aired I have seen no other ST content that has even come close to it aside from the remake. It is easily one of my favorite ST episodes, my only complaint being that I wish they had got a few more TNG cameos in, even just in audio would have been nice. In conclusion if you aren't going to buy the series in their entirety or are waiting for the BR release this set is easily 10 bucks worth of entertainment, and so far my favorite of the challenge.
(4.5 out of 5)
- May 22nd
43.)
Oh! What A Lovely War (1969)*
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: A weird social commentary musical set during world war one that uses period songs for it's tunes. I must admit I had to turn subtitles on as I often had a bit of a time understanding these the pronunciation of this song. Aside from that it was a pretty interesting movie, especially with them using all of those old WWI trench songs.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.0 out of 10
- May 23rd
44.)
Patton Oswald: No Reason To Complain (2004)*
--- ($5 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: I got a little carried away when the Comedy Central dump happened and snatched up a lot of things I normally wouldn't have just because of the brand. This DVD was one of those, I later lamented the fact I spent $5 on a 40 comedy routine but then I watched it. And for a 7 year old act it held up really well, still garnering plenty of lols. Whats strange is I have to say that the deleted scenes were actually funnier than the feature. Aside from that I do give CC some credit for throwing some of Pattons old work on the disc, an old Comedy Central presents and a really awful old sketch show called Food For Thought. I can only assume the ladder one was included as some sort of revenge and/or punishment as it was fascinatingly bad.
(4.0 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.9 out of 10
- May 24th
45.)
Roast of William Shatner (2006)
--- ($5 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: Just barely my favorite of the roasts over the Pam Anderson one. I do find it curious how Sulu blew away all the "professional" comedians. The disc also includes few fun featurette but all feel edited/truncated. Also I would love to see a commentary for one of these roast, either William Shatner or a collection of other comedians, something.
(4 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.5 out of 10
- May 25th
46.)
Jabberwocky (1977)*
--- ($3 Tier Title) ---
My Thoughts: This one was ok but I was never really got into it. It is like a less funny Monty Python movie. Somewhat amusing at times but that is about all, really and all around "meh" title.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 6.1 out of 10
More →
Part II Or Scroll ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-04-11 at 04:52 AM.