Smallville -- "Booster" -- 4/22/11

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Smallville -- "Booster" -- 4/22/11

Synopsis
Spoiler:
After everything that happened with the VRA, Lois tells Clark it’s best to make “Clark Kent” forgettable and awkward so people don’t suspect he’s The Blur. However, the two are stunned when a fame-hungry superhero from the future, Booster Gold, sweeps into town and begins making saves and posing for press ops, completely winning over the city of Metropolis. Booster begins his campaign to take the Blur’s place as the “World’s Greatest Superhero” and tries to charm Lois into writing a story about him, but she’s not having his antics and begins her own campaign for the Blur. During one of Booster’s saves, an alien weapon in the form of a scarab falls from a truck and fuses itself to a boy named Jaime Reyes, turning him into the Blue Beetle. Unfortunately, Jaime is unable to control the suit and Blue Beetle starts attacking Metropolis.

Episode 19 of 22

Promo:
Old 04-22-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Smallville -- "Booster" -- 4/22/11

Unrelated to Booster, but...

Interview with Welling excerpt about Rosenbaum returning:

TV Guide Magazine: Michael Rosenbaum finally agreed to return one last time as Lex Luthor. What was it like working with him again?
Tom Welling: It was fun. [laughs] It was a lot of fun. It was like he'd never left, but it was also like he'd been gone forever. But he stepped right back into it. Michael is extremely hilarious, he has this really unique ability to entertain and to be a completely opposite version of Lex until they roll the camera and then he goes right into it. I don't think he lost a beat, and it was one of the highlights of the season to spend the day with him.

TV Guide Magazine: How involved were you in the negotiations to get him to come back?
Welling: Oh, are you kidding me? I did everything I could. I texted him, I called him, we went to dinner. I'm just really happy that they were able to find a way for him to come back. I think it's so great for the show and the fans.

==============================

A bit from Rosenbaum about his return:

TVLINE | Turning to your Smallville encore: Tom Welling told me that it was if you had never left, that you both just jumped right back into the whole Clark-Lex thing.
I have to say, that was the most amazing time, going back. There were people who worked on that crew that aren’t even working on the show anymore that came to see me. It was like a family I hadn’t seen in a while. People don’t know this, but I got nervous. I was really nervous. To jump back into that role and start quoting Sun Tzu, and I’m looking at Tom…? It felt so surreal. I was going, “Can I do this?” And finally you just do it! And believe it or not I’m actually glad I shaved my head all those years, because the bald cap [used in the series finale] is a bitch! It took like 2-1/2 hours to get on, and it is not the most comfortable thing.
Old 04-22-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm not familiar with Booster. Is he an actual character in the DC Lore?
Old 04-22-11, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

aaaaaand..... Tess from last week:

Spoiler:

Old 04-22-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Minor correction Michael, this is actually episode 18 (Brian Peterson says it in the promo).

There is only 3 weeks left, but the 2 hour finale counts as 2 episodes. Want to savor these last few weeks.
Old 04-22-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not familiar with Booster. Is he an actual character in the DC Lore?
Yup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booster_Gold
Old 04-22-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya
Minor correction Michael, this is actually episode 18 (Brian Peterson says it in the promo).

There is only 3 weeks left, but the 2 hour finale counts as 2 episodes. Want to savor these last few weeks.
I was following your lead so I didn't screw up the format. You had "Kent" listed as 18.

Sorry for butting in, I was ready to post those interviews and pics.
Old 04-22-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was following your lead so I didn't screw up the format. You had "Kent" listed as 18.

Sorry for butting in, I was ready to post those interviews and pics.
No worries man.

I did? Oops!! I think I read the production code number & got that mixed up.
Old 04-22-11, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Teaser/Promo for the 2 hour series finale with Rosenbaum footage:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/11Q1avSk1do" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-22-11, 09:37 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't watched Smallville in over a year...debating whether to watch the last few, or wait and watch all I've missed. Suggestions? Leaning towards watching them since I'm not sure I'll take the time to go through the DVDs (if they were streaming via Netflix, however...). Loved the first handful of seasons, just got too far behind last season and never caught up.
Old 04-22-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

while it was a decent episode I can't help but feeling we're in for a huge letdown
they've been cockteasing the shit out of us with glimpses of the suit and the future and here we are with only a couple episodes left and I think we're going to end up with the hugest case of blue balls ever and not see more than a blur of the suit at the end or at most a one second still image
Old 04-22-11, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

That was a stinker. No Tess, no sale.

Could they have made the Blue Beetle look any more cheesy?

Are they sweeping "the Darkness" under the rug?

This season has had some really good episodes but looking back on it as a whole it's really disappointing. Somehow they've managed to make the sum a lot less then it's parts.
Old 04-22-11, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a big Booster Gold fan I feel like I need to watch this, but I have never been able to get into Smallville. The user comments aren't exactly selling me on this particular episode either.

And to put my fandom of Booster into perspective, I have a tattoo of him.
Old 04-23-11, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was a fantastic episode, Johns did the character perfectly. I too thought Blue Beetle looked cheesy, but who cares. One of the best episodes since Justice IMO, although I'm a big Booster Gold fan, so maybe I am biased.

I too wonder wtf is going on with Darkseid. Next week is Zod's return, then what, one episode left until the finale? Not much time to resolve a season long arc. I'll really miss this show, it's episodes like this that showcases how good this show can be, and what we should've had over meteor freak of the weeks for years, and it's what Lois and Clark should have been instead of the constant cheese we got nearly 20 years ago. Amazing that this show, Smallville, transformed into an amazing Lois and Clark, Metropolis, Daily Planet, DC Universe characters such as The JLA and Booster Gold. Ten years ago, I could have never imagined this show would become what it is... Erica Durance was the best thing that ever happened to it.

My only complaint with this episode is I wasn't totally sold on the actor they selected to play Booster. Just didn't evoke the character from the comics for me, but Johns' writing more than made up for it.
Old 04-23-11, 10:32 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I thought it was good, but I've always liked Booster Gold.
Old 04-23-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I forgot to watch this episode.

Spoiler:

Old 04-24-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
And to put my fandom of Booster into perspective, I have a tattoo of him.
For Smallville, they handled Booster Gold much better and more faithfully than a lot of prior comic book characters on the show. The Booster Gold they use is not that far removed from his appearance on Justice League Unlimited.
Old 04-24-11, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Good episode. Booster Gold was handled very well. And the Blue Beetle costume didn't look as bad as I thought it would.

Nice that they got all three Beetle alter egos mentioned (Dan Garrett, Ted Kord and Jaime Reyes). But I would expect no less from Geoff Johns.
Old 04-24-11, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm not familiar with the character of Booster Gold, so I was expecting him to have gotten his powers from gold Kryptonite which the mentioned in the previous episode. Is that correct? There was some mention of gold at least. Either that or I thought his character was based on Nuclear Man.
Old 04-24-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spoiler:

Where has Tess been hiding those Luthors?
Old 04-24-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I hated Booter Gold, and I hated this episode. It felt like a complete waste of time this close to the series finale.

And I know that there is this glasses-mask think in superman lore, but it just stinks. This sums up my feellings about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIzHgv5Pj48
Old 04-24-11, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Where has Tess been hiding those Luthors?
Hopefully she will show them off more on her next project:

TV Guide Magazine: What's next for you?
Freeman: I'm shooting a pilot for the A&E network. It's called Longmire and it's a show about a sheriff, set in Wyoming. It's based on a bunch of mystery novels by Craig Johnson.
Old 04-24-11, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by windom
I'm not familiar with the character of Booster Gold, so I was expecting him to have gotten his powers from gold Kryptonite which the mentioned in the previous episode. Is that correct? There was some mention of gold at least. Either that or I thought his character was based on Nuclear Man.
Not sure how the show handled it, but in the comics he doesn't really have any powers, he's from the 25th century and uses technology for his suit and "powers".
Old 04-24-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^That's how they did it.

I enjoyed it. However the sudden clumsy Clark should have been a slow progress over a half a season, not a 12 hour transition. Loved the half dozen or so nods to the mythos.
Old 04-24-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now, it's perfectly reasonable for people to totally change their perceptions of someone in 12 hours

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.