Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to buy a PS3?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-13-11, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I've been saving for a PS3 and I'm now in range to get one. The $50 gift card deals are nice but so plentiful that they have me wondering what is coming next, like a price drop? Or another $100 gift card?

Basically I'd rather wait a month or two and get a better deal than buy now and watch a better deal come out. Of course, that logic could lead to never buying one because you're always waiting. I really want one by summer when I have more free time, so I'm fine waiting but if summer comes and the $50 gift card deals are gone and no price drop, then I'll be kicking myself.

I've never seen so many weeks in a row with one retailer or another offering $50 gift cards..........what is up with that?

Many of you follow this stuff a lot more closely than I do, so do you have any thoughts on what's ahead for the PS3 and its price?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-11, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Is it a good time to buy a PS3?

The PS3 is probably stuck in last place so I expect a $50 price drop soon. However, with the current gift card deals you are basically getting the price drop now so why not get one. It is a great system with plenty of good games. I love it as a media hub. Blu-ray, Netflix, Hulu, Vudu and great video playback for divx and vobs.
Old 02-13-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There might be a price drop in the pipeline, but the $50 off deals are focused entirely on the 160 GB unit if I'm not mistaken. So I'd say they're probably clearing out stock of that particular model to make way for a new unit with either a bigger hard drive or 160 GB w/Move. Or they could just be clearing out post-holiday overstock. That's all pure conjecture on my part though, I'm no expert on these things.

Last edited by FatTony; 02-14-11 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-13-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine there will be a price drop or another bundle announced before E3 in June. If you want one, go ahead. If you can wait 4 months for something to maybe happen, wait.
Old 02-13-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Get it now as 300 for a 160gb system is more than a fair price.
Old 02-13-11, 09:13 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there is a price drop, it will be 50 bucks...so pick one up..and get a game of your choice...(or two or three if older games)
Old 02-14-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there is a price drop, it'll be to $249.99 which is the same as 300 and a $50 gift card. And pinata is right there will be no price drop until 4-5 months from now. Buy it now and enjoy it.
Old 02-14-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's the best current gen system to me, so I highly recommend you get one.
Old 02-14-11, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling now is the time and getting excited now that I've made my decision.

Quick question: PSN cards are only for buying movies, tv shows, or games to download. the PS Network is still free to play on line correct?

Quick question 2: Since I wasn't seriously ready for a PS3 until now, I haven't been paying attention to prices. I'm interested in sports games mainly, but love Goldeneye on the Wii with the online play. Red Dead Redemption seems really cool too. Any recommendations for what should be my first game and what would be a good price to pay for it? ie: I saw Red Dead Redemption is now $39.99 regular price, Madden is still $59.99 (but no way I'm paying that with the season over). I'll have a $50 gift card from Bestbuy, what's the best way to stretch it?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-11, 09:03 PM
gamer for life

Go to Best buy and pick up the 29.99 3 game set if they have any in stock of Uncharted 1, Tomb Raider and Mercenaries 2....the last two games are fun but flawed, but Uncharted 1 is great....and 29.99 is what you would pay new for Uncharted by itself anyway. Also pick up Metal Gear for 19.99 at Best buy, so you are only out tax with your gift card...

Then take the 50 dollar credit at amazon and pick up Uncharted 2(skip the game of the year edition if you can get the older one 10 bucks cheaper)...and a couple of last years sports games of your choice...you should be able to get older sports games cheap...especially if you buy them used. (warning, if you plan on playing sports games online some of the newer ones require you buy the game new or spend 10 bucks)

If you don't want to risk two Uncharted games in case you don't like the first one....make that choice at amazon Red Dead, because it is one of the best games ever (I actually like it more than Uncharted 1 and 2 combined, so now that I think about it you might want to just go with that option)
Old 02-14-11, 09:06 PM
gamer for life

also, the ps3 plus membership is only to give you a few free games and early access to demos...it is only worth it if you plan on playing your ps3 a lot...skip it for now...you can also add money to your ps3 account with a credit card in case you want to try some dlc or movies...all online play is free...
Old 02-14-11, 10:02 PM

Interesting....... I liked the Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider games on PS2, although I never finished Tomb Raider Chronicles (I think it was that one). 3 games for $30 seems to be good value for sure. Red Dead seems like an awesome game...

Is there reason to be concerned about the 'yellow light' thing on the older PS3's I read about?

Again, thanks for all the help. I feel like you're walking me through this. I should stop reading the negative reviews on bestbuy.com.
Old 02-15-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't put much stock into public reviews of stuff. Lots of things are skewed by fanboys of other systems.
Old 02-15-11, 12:30 AM
gamer for life

Originally Posted by pinata242
Don't put much stock into public reviews of stuff. Lots of things are skewed by fanboys of other systems.
I have had my xbox for 3 years, and my son 2 years....we have had 4 total Red Rings during that time...

I have had my ps3 forever...and while for the most part it gathers dust until the next ps3 exclusive comes out....I have never had one problem with it....its a tank...like Pinata says...don't worry...
Old 02-15-11, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally even if you just want a blu-ray player then get it. I think the ps3 is probably the best one out there. You don't have to fuck with firmware updates as it's always up to date. My first blu was a pain in the ass. I would always hit movies that wouldn't play until the manufacture got off their ass and release a new firmware, sometimes 3 or 4 months after the movie came out.

The online is free, and pretty damn good for the price. Don't worry about a YLOD, I have never had one myself, of course I traded up from my old 80 gig to a 120 when the new slims came out with the gamestop deal for trading in your old 80 gig and 100 bucks for a slim. I personally love my ps3 more than I ever enjoyed my 360, probably because I love the blu-ray player too. It's a no brainer if you want a blu-ray player also honestly.

Oh, and get Uncharted and Uncharted 2. If you liked Tomb Raider like you said then these two games will literally blow your mind, they are that amazing.

You can probably pick up both of those for the 50 bucks easially. Just play the first one before you open the second to see if you like it so you can return the second if you want, but I doubt that will be an issue honestly, it is my favorite game honestly. First game I have ever felt the need to play through on all the difficulty settings.

Last edited by glassdragon; 02-15-11 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-15-11, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

If you have never owned a 360, there are a ton of really good multi platform games you can for pretty cheap too depending on your tastes:

Fallout 3
Oblivion
GTA IV
Williams Pinball hall of fame
Burnout Paradise
Ghostbusters

I haven't played the PS3 Katamari game, but if it is anything like the PS2 or 360 (which it most likely is), I'd pick that up too.

One thing you can do to get ideas for games is to go to gamerankings and look at the top rated games for the PS3.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.h...etter=&search=
Old 02-15-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

#1: You are correct.

#2: I'm going to disagree with some of the above advice on games.

While Uncharted and Uncharted 2 are probably the best games on the system, they are kind of short, and the other two games in that pack are not impressive at all. Considering the fact that price is a factor, and for your tastes, you should pick up last year's Madden (or NCAA if you prefer) and NHL and wait for this year's NBA 2K.

If you like playing Goldeneye online, you should try some of the PS3's better online shooters. Staying current on Call of Duty gets pretty expensive, so I suggest Battlefield Bad Company 2. The Ultimate Edition can routinely be picked up for $30, and it will keep you entertained for months. You could also play Warhawk with our group every Tuesday. The game is about $10 and all of the DLC is about $15.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/30soItyUGR0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=24450"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=24450" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

Other long and cheap games: Fallout 3, Oblivion, Darksiders, LittleBigPlanet, GTA 4

Games you absolutely have to play at some point: Uncharted 1&2, Bioshock 1&2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Red Dead Redemption

I can't emphasize this enough: Get a basic Netflix account for streaming TV and movies.
Old 02-15-11, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix on the PS3 is the best implementation of it I've seen, and works great with the remote control. I barely play games on my PS3 but I use it quite often for Netflix.
Old 02-15-11, 09:13 PM

Thanks everyone. Two final questions:

1. any kind of HDMI cable work for the PS3 or do you need the overpriced expensive official brand one?

2. I know support stops after the season for sports games online, but can you still play online after the new one has come out (ie: if I had Madden 2010 could I play online vs. someone now, or is only 2011 available to play online?)?
Old 02-15-11, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush
One thing you can do to get ideas for games is to go to gamerankings and look at the top rated games for the PS3.

http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.h...etter=&search=

Thanks, this list has given me a lot to think about, but in a good way. Its very helpful.

When I was younger and has the PS1 and then the PS2, I'd just buy any game on a whim, but now that responsibility has hit and such, I'm more limited in my budget (and time) and I feel more pressure to not have any 'misses' with games I get.
Old 02-15-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by LostFan
Thanks everyone. Two final questions:

1. any kind of HDMI cable work for the PS3 or do you need the overpriced expensive official brand one?

2. I know support stops after the season for sports games online, but can you still play online after the new one has come out (ie: if I had Madden 2010 could I play online vs. someone now, or is only 2011 available to play online?)?
1. Just get a good quality one from Amazon for no more than 10 bucks.

2. They usually don't take down the servers for the older game right away. Also, they will give you a heads up when they are going to take the servers down.
Old 02-15-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Any HDMI. For all your cable needs...ever: www.monoprice.com

2. What dsa_shea said.
Old 02-16-11, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

hey, if you haven't bought yet, there's a Killzone 3 bundle coming out for $299.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/L...14518-585.html
Old 02-16-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

Originally Posted by LostFan
When I was younger and has the PS1 and then the PS2, I'd just buy any game on a whim, but now that responsibility has hit and such, I'm more limited in my budget (and time) and I feel more pressure to not have any 'misses' with games I get.
A local rental place would help to avoid 'misses'. I prefer Gamefly to try out games/genres I am unsure of or to try older games. (realize though that all EA games require an online code to acess multiplayer features. Plus if you decide to keep the title you are renting you pretty much get a new PS3 title. From my experience - The case and booklets they send to you are pristine and all the online codes included in the games work.
Old 02-18-11, 10:22 PM

Done. First game purchase: NCAA 09 for $5 from KMART. Waiting to get NBA2k11 when it goes on sale on Sunday for $29.99 and waiting on the Show 11 whenever it goes on sale.

Right now the PS3 is doing the initial update and its SLOW......

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.