Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lethal Weapon Question

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lethal Weapon Question

Old 01-30-11, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lethal Weapon Question

I've read that the PQ of the American Blu-Ray for the first Lethal Weapon movie isn't good. Is there out there some where in the world a Blu-Ray of the first Lethal Weapon movie that has excellent PQ and can be played on a Region A player?
Old 01-30-11, 05:55 PM

Re: Lethal Weapon Question

There's a box set available internationally with a new transfer. Warner has not given the US a release date for the collection yet. I would expect it sometime this year.

If you want the set, it should be region free.

fitprod
Old 01-30-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, several forum members have purchased the set and it is region free.
Old 01-30-11, 09:58 PM

Lethal Weapon 1&2 in the Boxset, available in the UK, are the Theatrical Versions, not the Director's Cuts. The deleted scenes are included as special features.
Old 01-30-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Donner dislikes the DCs. He was asked to do DVD extras and declined, so Warner did the longer versions without him. He was displeased with them, so when he sat down to do interviews and commentary for the new Blu-Ray box set, he asked the TCs be restored.

Also, make sure you buy the UK set and not the Australian set, which uses the same two discs that are already available in America for the first two films.
Old 01-31-11, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slimdude
Lethal Weapon 1&2 in the Boxset, available in the UK, are the Theatrical Versions, not the Director's Cuts. The deleted scenes are included as special features.
umm the theatrical versions are the Directors cuts,
Dick Donner had nothing to do with the extended editions and he has written them off aswell.

This is a great set, definately worth importing if you are a fan of the lethal weapon series.
Old 01-31-11, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
umm the theatrical versions are the Directors cuts,
Dick Donner had nothing to do with the extended editions and he has written them off as well.
Umm, the theatrical versions were not the director's cut. The director's cut, contains additional footage reinserted into the movie, that was edited from their theatrical releases. And besides, the titles: extended editions and director's cuts are perceived to be the same.
Old 01-31-11, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Umm, the theatrical versions were not the director's cut. The director's cut, contains additional footage reinserted into the movie, that was edited from their theatrical releases. And besides, the titles: extended editions and director's cuts are perceived to be the same.
The theatrical versions are the director's cuts because they are the versions approved by the director. The additional footage re-inserted into the movies was not approved by the director, and has been removed at his request on the new Blu-Rays. They were marketed in the US as "Director's Cuts", but like the "Director's Cut" of Alien, it was only a marketing term.
Old 01-31-11, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Also, make sure you buy the UK set and not the Australian set, which uses the same two discs that are already available in America for the first two films.
Then how is it that the American Blu-Ray for Lethal Weapon 1 looks not as good as the UK one?
Old 01-31-11, 11:12 AM
FuQ

I have the new box set. The picture quality on 1 & 2 are greatly improved. You also get lossless soundtrack on every film. 3 & 4 look really good but I don't think they have been remastered. It was $40 for all 4 films, I highly recommend if you are a fan of the series.
Old 01-31-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by m_burlock
Then how is it that the American Blu-Ray for Lethal Weapon 1 looks not as good as the UK one?
I don't understand. What I meant was, the US and AU box sets have the same old discs, while the UK set has brand new discs with brand new transfers.
Old 01-31-11, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DO you know what the term Directors cut means?
It means the version that is the Directors prefered cut. Just cause the studio came along and said hey lets extend the movie so we have a excuse to re sell it again, even though Dick Donner says he is quite happy with the theatrical cut. does not make that a directors cut, Its a extended cut, and Most people know the difference between a directors cut and a extended cut even if you DONT!

Dick Donner has publicly gone on record as saying the Theatrical cuts of the Lethal Weapon movies are His directors cuts and he doesnt approve of the extended cuts and had nothing to do with them.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 01-31-11 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-31-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't understand. What I meant was, the US and AU box sets have the same old discs, while the UK set has brand new discs with brand new transfers.
I thought you were pretty clear in what you said. I picked up on what you were saying my first read.
Old 01-31-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
DO you know what the term Directors cut means?
It means the version that is the Directors prefered cut. Just cause the studio came along and said hey lets extend the movie so we have a excuse to re sell it again, even though Dick Donner says he is quite happy with the theatrical cut. does not make that a directors cut, Its a extended cut, and Most people know the difference between a directors cut and a extended cut even if you DONT!
To be fair, Warner branded the new cuts as "Director's Cut" on the DVD boxes and marketing. The snapper cases, box set and even the 4 Film Favorites all use the term "Director's Cut" on 1-3 to define the longer edits.
Old 01-31-11, 05:57 PM

To be fair, Warner branded the new cuts as "Director's Cut" on the DVD boxes and marketing. The snapper cases, box set and even the 4 Film Favorites all use the term "Director's Cut" on 1-3 to define the longer edits.
I want to thank you for clarifying my statement above, that was very kind, even though when there are other rude, and inconsiderate forum members like: AmityBoatTours (Mr. Know It All) who is arrogant towards others, when they're being misinterpreted.