Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Million Dollar Money Drop -- New Game Show with Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/10

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Million Dollar Money Drop -- New Game Show with Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/10

Old 12-20-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-12-20

What this damn thing is about:

MILLION DOLLAR MONEY DROP is the ultimate high-stakes game show that gives a team $1 million in cold, hard cash and all they have to do to keep it is correctly answer seven multiple-choice questions. The duo is given their prize money at the start of the game, and it's up to them to keep this life-changing cash. Once the question is revealed, the duo must debate and decide the answer - or answers - on which they will risk all of their money. When time is up and they have allocated all of their money, the team must step up to the drop to find out if their choices were right or wrong. In a dramatic reveal, the duo sees any cash placed on wrong answers disappear through the money drop below. As the game progresses, the questions get harder and the answers become fewer but after seven questions whatever cash - if any - is left on the table is theirs to keep.
Preview:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uY6md5WOTBo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uY6md5WOTBo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Anyone going to check this out? I know most of you loathe game shows, but I figured it was at least worth a mention here. at Kevin Pollak for taking a game show hosting gig.

FYI, it's 2 Hours Tonight on FOX.
Old 12-20-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Million Dollar Money -- New Game Show Hosted by Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/

I might be down for it just for Pollak.
Old 12-20-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Million Dollar Money -- New Game Show Hosted by Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/

Hopefully this turns out better for Pollak than that Little Genius show.
Old 12-20-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I just realized I forgot to put the word "Drop" in the title of the thread.

Jadzia: If you happen to read this thread, can please add the word "Drop" in the title please?

Thanks
Old 12-20-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For slick over produced game shows where you really don't have to know much to win, it's pretty decent. It doesn't hurt that they got a cute couple for the first episode. Pollak is solid, but I thought he'd add more humor to the proceedings.

I bet the tension of watching a million dollars disappear in front of your eyes does a number on your heart.
Old 12-20-10, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad show. Using couples as contestants is a good idea, as it yields situations where the couples doubt and second-guess one another. My one complaint is not enough Pollak.
Old 12-21-10, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

They messed up one of the questions!

The Post-It Note was introduced in 1977, but didn't sell well as it hadn't been used before. It was re-introduced in 1980, but since 3M recognizes 1980 as the official debut date, I guess the question is technically correct. But it was sold before 1979.
Old 12-21-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
They messed up one of the questions!

The Post-It Note was introduced in 1977, but didn't sell well as it hadn't been used before. It was re-introduced in 1980, but since 3M recognizes 1980 as the official debut date, I guess the question is technically correct. But it was sold before 1979.
The question included the phrase "sold in stores".
Old 12-21-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Not a bad show. Using couples as contestants is a good idea, as it yields situations where the couples doubt and second-guess one another. My one complaint is not enough Pollak.
He talked a little bit about the show on his chat show podcast (worth checking out if you haven't). I think he talked about this issue a little.
Old 12-21-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The question included the phrase "sold in stores".
Right, that's why the question was messed up. The Post-It was sold in stores in '77, but they didn't sell well so they were pulled and re-introduced in '80.
Old 12-21-10, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I missed the first episode, but I'm watching tonight's. Man, this couple is dumb.
Old 12-21-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I saw both of last night's episodes, but didn't watch tonight. It was a pretty good concept, but there were too many commercial breaks and "suspense-building" like on "Deal or No Deal." Seems like they could pick up the pace a little and easily fit it into 30 minutes.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure the couple from Monday night's second episode (the white couple) will end up getting a divorce.

Last edited by Quatermass; 12-22-10 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-21-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I missed the first episode, but I'm watching tonight's. Man, this couple is dumb.
Tuesday's couple wasn't that dumb, -they only blew one answer (they just put a large amount on it). Also, they made a couple of intuitive last minute changes that saved their bacon. Really, I don't know that I'd do better...
Old 12-21-10, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheKing
Right, that's why the question was messed up. The Post-It was sold in stores in '77, but they didn't sell well so they were pulled and re-introduced in '80.
A little searching finds reference after reference to the Post-Its being introduced in 1980 and articles about the 30th anniversary, but a little reading finds reference to the test marketing in 1977.

Those people lost $800,000 on that question.

Since you spotted this discrepancy right away, I'm guessing someone will tell that couple about it.

That's a pretty big fuck-up on something that should be simple, but then what else would I expect from FOX.
Old 12-22-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Million Dollar Money Drop -- New Game Show with Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/10

Updated the thread title, but had to drop the hosting info to fit Drop in there - it was too long otherwise.

I have been amazed at how stupid these people are. They didn't know aspirin was older than Band-Aids?
Old 12-22-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Million Dollar Money Drop -- New Game Show with Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/1

Where do they get these people?

Pollak is pretty decent host. BTW, the show returns January 4th after tomorrow night's 2 hour finale.

Ratings haven't been great, but steady. Last night for a 2.0 in the demos.
Old 12-22-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Million Dollar Money Drop -- New Game Show with Kevin Pollak -- Premieres 12/20/1

for some reason this reminds me of Gold Case, a fictional gameshow Kenneth on 30 Rock came up with.
Old 12-22-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The controversy surrounding a couple's recent $800,000 wrong answer on the reality show “Million Dollar Money Drop” is without merit, says the show's Executive Producer Jeff Apploff

Apploff stood by the show's determination that the Post-It answer was wrong.

In a statement he said: “The integrity of the questions and answers on our show are our No. 1 priority. In this case, our research team spoke directly with 3M, and they confirmed that although they had given out free samples in test markets in 1977 and 1978, it wasn’t until 1980 that Post-Its were sold in stores.

“’MILLION DOLLAR MONEY DROP’ stands behind the answer that was revealed on the show,” he said.
Old 12-22-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Quatermass
there were too many commercial breaks and "suspense-building" like on "Deal or No Deal." Seems like they could pick up the pace a little and easily fit it into 30 minutes.
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure the couple from Monday night's second episode (the white couple) will end up getting a divorce.
Totally. They drag it out for far too long.
Old 12-22-10, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Something about the contestants seem off, their reactions are a little too over the top and theatrical, even for a game show.

And an entire hour to answer seven questions is ABSURD.
Old 12-23-10, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone's complaints, but I was surprisingly entertained by the concept and found myself thinking "Where would I put the money" throughout the show. I also remember wondering if producers supply free alcohol and drugs for contestants beforehand. They certainly want characters, or caricatures, though I didn't mind the craziness of last night's MILF.

Also, I can't even begin to imagine watching this, or practically every other game show on cable TV, without using a DVR. I think it took me between 20 and 25 minutes to watch last night's show.
Old 12-23-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Something about the contestants seem off, their reactions are a little too over the top and theatrical, even for a game show.

And an entire hour to answer seven questions is ABSURD.
I only saw the first episode, but I have seen people do crazy stuff just playing video games. I can image putting huge stacks of cash in front of them would elicit even more extreme behavior.
Old 12-23-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also watch via DVR, which makes it much more entertaining (by skipping the filler).

Its funny to me that there are several game shows, -network and syndicated, -that can be packaged in half-hours and move rather quickly ("Jeopardy", for example)while Prime-time Network Game Shows seem to demand hour-long slots with lots of added dramatic padding.

"A Minute To Win It" moved pretty well at first and I enjoyed it. After the first bunch of episodes they began tinkering with the format so that there was only one contesent (or set of contestants) per hour which killed the game for me since you knew that the contestant won every stunt until whatever transpired in the last ten minutes. They also added a sentimental "Story Angle" with each contestant.
Old 12-23-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

To answer 6 or seven questions, they need a full hour?
Jeopardy does 61 questions (usually) in less than half an hour. More like 20 minutes.
I actually enjoy game shows, but this one seemed to fall flat for me. I really miss 1 vs 100 and Identity and hope they come back at some point.
Old 12-23-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
To answer 6 or seven questions, they need a full hour?
Jeopardy does 61 questions (usually) in less than half an hour. More like 20 minutes.
I actually enjoy game shows, but this one seemed to fall flat for me. I really miss 1 vs 100 and Identity and hope they come back at some point.
A new version of "1 vs 100" is currently running on GSN.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.