Reload this Page >

Walmart.com - Lots of $5 Warners DVDs

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 12-16-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

I noticed that Walmart.com has slashed the prices on tons of Warner Home Video titles. The titles are now all $5.

Just a few examples are:
A Face In The Crowd
A Tale of Two Cities (1935)
Bad Day At Black Rock
Executive Action (1973)
Far From The Madding Crowd
The Hill
Klute
The Pirate (1948)
Point Blank
Pride and Prejudice (1940)
The Fighting 69th (1940)
The Glass Bottom Boat
The Yakuza
The Yellow Rolls-Royce
Time After Time

Not sure if this is due to an upcoming price drop on these titles or if they are going out of print and Walmart is trying to clear inventory, but Walmart.com currently has the lowest price online for many of these titles.

* NOTE: Some of these $5 titles have appeared at Big Lots for $3 (and some of them are likely to appear there in the future).

** NOTE2: Walmart.com's shipping charges are exorbitant for multiple DVDs unless you use "Site to Store" shipping which is free, although it can also be a pain during pickup if you go to a store with poor customer service.

The full list of titles is here (scroll down the page until you reach the $5 titles). There are about nine pages of listings:

Walmart.com $5 Warner Home Video DVDs

Old 12-16-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Re: Walmart.com - Lots of $5 Warners DVDs

Will NEVER EVER do their site to store shipping again. They are the epitome of poor..make that poorest..customer service. No one gives a shit. Makes you wonder what the associates are hired for. And the stores itself...bah. Have completely avoided shopping at Walmart and not regretting. This is in no way to balk at the prices of the DVD's but a warning to those that are yet to try out the site to store ship if they have not tried yet and may want to based on the deal posted.
Old 12-16-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Will NEVER EVER do their site to store shipping again. They are the epitome of poor..make that poorest..customer service. No one gives a shit. Makes you wonder what the associates are hired for. And the stores itself...bah. Have completely avoided shopping at Walmart and not regretting. This is in no way to balk at the prices of the DVD's but a warning to those that are yet to try out the site to store ship if they have not tried yet and may want to based on the deal posted.
It all depends on the store. I've had good luck at one and terrible at the other. Now I have everything sent to the good one.
Old 12-16-10, 06:51 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I ordered quite a few of these for 5.99 at deepdiscount.com last week (Yellow Rolls Royce, Captain Horatio Hornblower, etc) . They may still be on sale there if people still trust them. They shipped mine but I haven't received them yet.
Amazon also has some of these cheap too.
I thought the more interesting walmart.com titles were the New line titles they just added like "Primer" which have rarely been discounted. Which I made a post about.

Last edited by g; 12-16-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-16-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

Thanks OP! I found over a dozen classics that are $5-$10 higher elsewhere. Even though there are many which have been at BL (at times I felt like I was looking at a list of what I've picked up there) there are many more which haven't.

Site to Store doesn't bother me as it's fairly good here. I've only had one or two times where I had to wait over a minute for someone to show up.
Old 12-16-10, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP! I picked up two Doris Day films ...

The Glass Bottom Boat
Please Don't Eat The Daisies

I wanted "The Pajama Game", "The Butterfly Effect", and "Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut" but am very low on funds right now.
Old 12-16-10, 08:30 PM

Found ten or so titles myself that I'd definitely consider grabbing. As others have said, a fair amount have been at Big Lots, but I haven't seen titles like "Barry Lyndon" or "Time After Time" anywhere.
Old 12-16-10, 08:45 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I found one more Warner title that I had been wanting that I hadn't seen on sale before. So I ordered Executive Suite too. There are a few others I hadn't seen as well on sale.
But, Most of the others but a few have been featured in sales on and off at DD and amazon over the past year.
Old 12-16-10, 09:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Walmart now offers free site to store to some FedEx Office locations instead of a Walmart Store. When choosing a site to store location, chose a FedEx Office location if there is one in your area that offers this service.
Old 12-16-10, 10:58 PM
ktg

Thanks OP.

Noted that there was a single WB Archive Collection title buried in that pile---Huckelberry Finn. Thought those Archive disks were all special-order.

Picked up a couple. Pays to price-check: The Bad Seed was about fifty cents cheaper at Amazon (assuming you have Prime).
Old 12-17-10, 12:29 AM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ktg
Pays to price-check: The Bad Seed was about fifty cents cheaper at Amazon (assuming you have Prime).
Seriously, I've monitored the price of The Bad Seed for over a year on Amazon. I last checked over Black Friday weekend and it was still $12+. When I saw it pop up at walmart.com for $5, I immediately ordered it (with $1.97 shipping!). Then I come here to post my find and read your message.

Oh, well - I submitted a cancellation request just a couple minutes later, so hopefully it goes through. Luckily, the other titles I ordered that were available for site to store were not cheaper anywhere else that I'm aware of. I've had them shipped to a store near where my brother works -- hopefully he can pick them up for me next time he grocery shops. I didn't have a good experience with a recent pick-up at my local store.

Anyway, ordered:

Dead Ringer (Bette Davis)
In the Mouth of Madness
Return of the Living Dead Part 2

Hopefully ItMoM isn't the old snapper case version. I passed on Wait Until Dark for $5 (currently $4.99 on Amazon) because I don't believe it was ever reissued in a keepcase. These could pop up for $3 at Big Lots tomorrow, but I've waited years to pick them up already - these prices are good enough. Thanks OP!

Last edited by joe_b; 12-17-10 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-17-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For whatever reason, THE LONG LONG TRAILER is not available for shipping site to store. ??? Does anyone have a free shipping code? I don't believe WalMart is participating in Free Shipping Friday.

It's true that a lot of these titles have been at Big Lots for two dollars less, but not all and the last batch of WB titles at BL have been priced at $5.00, so I'm not sure that waiting for some of these to show up there for less is a good prospect.

The ones I got I don't remember ever seeing at Big Lots:

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (Dbl. Feature!)
FREAKS
THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GREY
BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK
Old 12-17-10, 12:47 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the heads-up. Picked up "Bad Day at Black Rock" and "The Player".
Old 12-17-10, 03:28 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
For whatever reason, THE LONG LONG TRAILER is not available for shipping site to store. ???
Neither is "Cabaret". Too bad about that as I would have ordered it.
Old 12-17-10, 10:50 PM

^ Cabaret is $5.49 on Amazon currently - with no minimum on free shipping if you have a Prime trial. However, the reviews mention that the transfer is non-anamorphic - despite what it lists on the back of the case:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RCWITVM...wasThisHelpful
Old 12-17-10, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ Cabaret is $5.49 on Amazon currently - with no minimum on free shipping if you have a Prime trial. However, the reviews mention that the transfer is non-anamorphic - despite what it lists on the back of the case:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RCWITVM...wasThisHelpful

Yes, this is one of the early DVD transfers that for some unfathomable reason has never been revisited. C'mon, this one of the greatest musicals in film history and it deserves better treatment--maybe this will be rectified when it goes to Blu.

The S&H really weakens this deal, but I picked up some titles that I've wanted for years that are the lowest I've seen.

The Green Pastures
Marie Antoinette (1938)
For Me And My Gal
Freaks

Now let's see if they show up, or if Walmart gives me the same screwjob I'm getting from Warner.

Last edited by Gobear; 12-18-10 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-18-10, 11:49 AM

This seems like it's just an online version of stuff I've seen in the $5 DVD bin. I pretty much ignore the $5 DVD bin now, and though there might a few things I'd like buried in the dozens of pages online or in the $5 bin in the store, I've come up empty-handed so often that I don't feel it's worth the time scouring the pages online or digging through the bin any more.
Old 12-18-10, 11:27 PM

^ There's only about 8 pages of $5 Warner titles when you sort by price - it only took me about 10 minutes to scan through it. Most of the titles have never been in any of the WM dump bins I've come across.
Old 12-19-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, Joe. Not sure what Walmart stores Manzana has been shopping, but in Illinois and California there have never been many WB titles in the dump bin. Granted in the past year some have managed to be found there, mostly Clint Eastwood titles, but in general the dump bins have usually been the last sanctuary for Paramount releases, not WB. WB titles are staples at Big Lots, not Walmart.