Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last American Virgin - woah

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-07-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched this bad boy, getting it through the older MGM deal.

Spoiler:
So what's up with the ending? How friggin' depressing! Why'd that chick flip like that? One minute, she seems happy that Gary, a dude who stuck with her and helped her out in her time of need, and the next, she's back making out with that creep again!? Not your typical ending, that's for sure. Was there a happy ending shot or was that the intended ending?

Either way...woah.
Old 09-07-03, 09:51 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
First off, thanks for starting a thread for this flick!

I watched it for the first time last weekend and had the same thoughts you posted above. I don't think there was ever an alternate ending shot for the movie - I had always heard that the ending
Spoiler:
was very depressing.

I found the movie to be a riot though - all three of the leading guys were fun to watch (boy, their careers really took off, didn't they?). Even though the movie kept repeating the same 5 songs over and over once one escapade ended and another started.

Good stuff though.
Old 09-07-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Geofferson
Even though the movie kept repeating the same 5 songs over and over once one escapade ended and another started.
haha, yeah, I noticed that too. It was fun, for sure! The fat guy looks like one of my best friends, which made it more hilarious.
Old 09-07-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Last American Virgin - woah

Originally posted by Tarantino
Spoiler:
So what's up with the ending? How friggin' depressing! Why'd that chick flip like that? One minute, she seems happy that Gary, a dude who stuck with her and helped her out in her time of need, and the next, she's back making out with that creep again!?
Cuz she's a CHICK, man! I'm sure ya'll have met plenty like that..
Old 09-07-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
But for the movie, it seemed like "here we go, we're on our way to a happy ending", and then WHAM. Nothing like movies today.
Old 09-08-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
And the ending is what makes me like love this movie.. and how I related to it unfortunately. When I first saw LAV in the theaters, I thought, "cool, another Porky's with gratuitous T&A" but towards the end and the last shot of Gary had me in tears. It also made it hard for me to listen those songs by REO Speedwagon and James Ingram even to this day.

I'm glad it's on DVD now and people are having the chance to experience it. Thinking about it, it was combination of themes from Porky's and Fast Times at Ridgemont High, all three were released in 1982.
Old 09-08-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bill Simmons (ESPN's "The Sports Guy") awarded this movie the #1 title in his most underated movies of all time article. It's quite a hilarious read (I particularily enjoy his summation of Sudden Death)

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/030808.html
Old 09-08-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Wazootyman
Bill Simmons (ESPN's "The Sports Guy") awarded this movie the #1 title in his most underated movies of all time article. It's quite a hilarious read (I particularily enjoy his summation of Sudden Death)

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/simmons/030808.html
By the way, don't read that article if you don't want spoilers!
Old 09-08-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Last American Virgin - woah

Originally posted by Rogue588
Cuz she's a CHICK, man! I'm sure ya'll have met plenty like that..
Yes, and I'm sure men ALWAYS choose the more plain girl over the hot girl that is sure to break their heart.
Old 09-08-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad I read that spoiler. I forgot why I hated this movie quite as much as I do (I just disliked up until the end, but the end pushed me over into the hate zone).

Thanks for saving me the trouble of sitting through it again to remember why it stands out for awfulness.
Old 09-08-03, 01:13 PM

These were high school kids. Have you guys forgot about high school ?

That's just how it works. Although I didn't like the ending, I realize the ending is more realistic.
Old 09-08-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ending gave the movie an ounce of respect from me, but the rest of the film, MY GOD THAT WAS BAD!!!!!! Unwatchable bad! I'm mean, really! Sheesh... I can't remember fast forwarding through any part of a movie since VHS days 5 years ago, but I just couldn't take that.

Frankly I'm shocked everyone else seemed to like it. I mean, I like Saved by the Bell, so I'm into cheese, but this was putrid.
Old 09-08-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
I always wonder how theatre audiences reacted to this. With the way they test-screen everything, there's little chance it would have been released with that ending today.
Old 09-09-03, 03:07 AM
Banned

And how's this story for a 20 year sequal.
When the kid grows up and in late 30's he's a blue collar worker working 2 jobs to keep his wife of 1 year happy.
Then he finds out she's been cheating on him because he wasn't home enough.
Old 09-09-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally posted by Ginwen
Glad I read that spoiler. I forgot why I hated this movie quite as much as I do (I just disliked up until the end, but the end pushed me over into the hate zone).
I had a feeling I knew what the spoiler was going to be before I checked it out. I know some people love this movie... but I'm with you, Ginwen. The ending just totally depressed me. I could not believe it when the credits started to roll.... "This can NOT be the end.... he should not have to take that **** from her!"

Anyway, I have to give it props for trying not to have a syrupy ending. But I still hate this movie.
Old 09-09-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by wm lopez
When the kid grows up and in late 30's he's a blue collar worker working 2 jobs to keep his wife of 1 year happy.
When they make the details of my divorce public?
Old 09-09-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by wm lopez
And then add to that scenario where his "supposed" wife is really a he-she making him still the Last American Virgin still in his 30's.
Old 11-20-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

She is arriving.
Old 11-20-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked it for what it was and I liked the realistic ending. I read that this was actually a remake from a foreign film by the same director. I wonder if the original differs from it. Anyone here ever see it?
Old 11-20-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I liked it for what it was and I liked the realistic ending. I read that this was actually a remake from a foreign film by the same director. I wonder if the original differs from it. Anyone here ever see it?
It's said to be a bunch of combined moments from a series of films he made in Israel. I've only seen one of them. Another is currently available on Netflix-Instant, "Eskimo Limon / Going All the Way". It sounds like a double-feature, but knowing Netflix-Instant, the stream will likely cut off after the first movie.
Old 11-20-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I've seen it. It's called "Lemon Popsicle". The main difference is the setting. In the original, it's set in 50s Israel and the music are American 50s songs. Other than that, they're extremely similar. The actors resemble their counterparts, and the script is almost scene-for-scene. It's on Netflix "Watch it Instantly" at the moment, so everyone can check it out.

In Israel, it kicked off a big series with the characters - 8 or 9 movies I think. I only saw the first sequel. Rather disappointing:
Spoiler:
it was if they just discarded all the traumatic events of the first movie. All the guys are best friends again, and chasing after new girls. I suppose, taken on its own, its a decent teen sex comedy.
Old 11-20-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm wondering if Tarantino is a little more wise about the world and such since he started this thread.

Wow... talk about naive back in '03.
Old 11-20-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I'm wondering if Tarantino is a little more wise about the world and such since he started this thread.

Wow... talk about naive back in '03.
Old 11-20-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hard to believe it's been 7 years since then. I should watch the movie again, I haven't seen it since then.
Old 11-20-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

Good movie that rose above most of the similar fare from the era

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.