Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-11-10, 06:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It seems as though a lot of people here have cut back on DVD/Blu-ray collecting and some have even sold off part of their collection. Out of curiosity, if you have cut back on collecting, what made you not want to collect as much anymore? Thanks to anyone that replies.
Old 10-11-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Although it may not seem it, I've cut back drastically. My main reason is simply just not enough time in the day. My piles of unwatched stuff are ridiculous and I need to really get through them. That, and prices drop so frequently I find myself adding more things to my wish-list to just get at a later date when they become cheaper. The biggest change I made, is I stopped blind-buying, and stopped buying movies that I liked, but likely will never watch again.
Old 10-11-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can only watch so many movies. I have gotten to the point where I have things sitting on my shelf unopened going on like 5 years, not much point in buying more unless I KNOW I will watch it soon and repeatedly.
Old 10-11-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I reached the point where I pretty much had everything I want that was out.

Now, I'm slowly upgrading to Blu-ray, but am highly selective in my purchases, waiting until I see the title I want around $10. I've already paid $20 for the DVD, thank you, and they're not going to fool me again.
Old 10-11-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just came to the realization that I don't re-watch them as much as I should to justify buying them. I still like the format and get BDs from Netflix when at all possible, but I generally don't watch something again for a long time. I have some DVDs I haven't re-watched in 10 years.

And when I have access to so many titles as I do through such a service, I find myself wanting to watch something new instead of something I've seen before. Years ago, I'd be buying movies just to watch them. I gave up blind buying a long time ago as well.
Old 10-11-10, 07:28 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at blu-ray format as a fresh start, I have over 2000 DVDs, which I'd love to cut down and plan on spending my November doing that. So when it comes to blu, I plan on only buying titles I know I want to own, I have so many DVDs that are basically bullshit, that I should have never bought...so basically being unhappy with my DVD collection is the reason I will be cutting back my purchases come November. I'll be buying pretty much all blu with the exception being smaller independent companies releases (Synapse, Code Red, etc) and not buying shit I'll never watch or watch only once.

That being said...I have no idea how/why people have 600-800 blu-rays already...that is crazy to me, but to each their own.
Old 10-11-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh, I think indifference... I find even movies I love, I just dont have the desire to own them anymore.
Old 10-11-10, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I switched from DVD to Blu-ray, I have cut back drastically. I'm being a lot more discerning now.
Old 10-11-10, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've cut way back. When they first came out, I'd buy a movie just because it was supposed to be better. But lately, the blu-ray either doesn't have all the features of a dvd (or has most, but missing some of the best ones), or the blu-ray doesn't look any better. Now, I'm a lot more careful about what I get. Of course, I'll get the classic Disney films, but aside from that, I try to only get blu-rays of my absolute favourite movies.
Old 10-11-10, 07:58 PM

Shelf space is running out, I've reached a saturation point, and that's what wishlists are for. Putting titles on that give my friends and family stuff they can get me for holidays.
Old 10-11-10, 08:01 PM

Netflix is the main reason for me. The Insta-watch for me gives me reason not to buy many movies.
Old 10-11-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I simply don't have the time. During the fall I spend the majority of my nights watching TV, during the summer I'll buy more because there isn't much on.
Old 10-11-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time to watch the films and like another said, I already own everything I want.
Old 10-11-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I cut back my DVD's (my peak was approaching 500) about five yrs ago due to time, space, questionable purchases, and knowing Blu-Ray was coming up. I now have 300+blus and 40ish dvd's. I expect my eventual overall total to settle in around 400... more than enough to choose from but not ridiculous. I probably watch on average two a wk and one new release from redbox... and little to no tv. It just comes down to priorities, I like my entertainment but not at the expense of other stuff. (work, health, social outings, etc) Not saying a person's irresponsible if they own or watch more, just for me at this point in my life that's what works for me.

Last edited by Artman; 10-11-10 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Netflix is a big part of it but also I've got most of what I want to own.

Last edited by milo bloom; 10-12-10 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone auto-correct.
Old 10-11-10, 10:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm out of space.
Old 10-11-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

$$$
Old 10-11-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me it was space and money. I've converted all my DVDs to thin cases, so I cleared up the space issue. I recently had to find another job that didn't pay nearly as much as my old job did, so that became a huge issue.

Recently though, I've been buying again, and that really has to stop. JOB HUNTING BEGINS AGAIN! Yeah, I hate my present job.
Old 10-11-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've cut back because the titles I want will always be there, so there's no rush to collect them. Even the so-called "limited edition" ones can be had for a reasonable price, somehow, somewhere on the internet.

I used to collect laserdiscs because owners and users were rare, and there was something to be said about being a collector of an "elite" format. Everyone one else was watching AMADEUS on crappy full screen VHS while I had it on stunning widescreen laserdisc with extended scenes and digital sound. It cost me over a hundred bucks and was worth it.

Now, you can get a copy of the movie with even better picture and audio quality and more supplements for $5.99 on DVD, and about $10 on Blu-ray. Movies are no longer a collectors item. There is no urgency or need to pick up a title, unless you get lucky and pick up a recalled version, or something out of print.
Old 10-11-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by doraemon10
Netflix is the main reason for me. The Insta-watch for me gives me reason not to buy many movies.
Same here.
Old 10-11-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Time and money. I think for some collectors it is more about "collecting" than actually watching the content on the disc itself.

If you have a collection of 4000 DVDs, that would take you 5 1/2 years to get through watching two titles per day - and that doesn't included the hundreds of new titles in the next 5 1/2 years!

Life is too short and I choose to select the few titles that really appeal to me.

I try not to purchase just because it's cheap. A crappy movie I probably won't watch for $2 is still a crappy movie I won't watch.
Old 10-12-10, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I mostly have what I want, and outside of a blu-ray reissue here and there and some Criterions, there aren't too many new releases I'm interested in.
Old 10-12-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bse
I'm looking at blu-ray format as a fresh start, I have over 2000 DVDs, which I'd love to cut down and plan on spending my November doing that. So when it comes to blu, I plan on only buying titles I know I want to own, I have so many DVDs that are basically bullshit, that I should have never bought...so basically being unhappy with my DVD collection is the reason I will be cutting back my purchases come November. I'll be buying pretty much all blu with the exception being smaller independent companies releases (Synapse, Code Red, etc) and not buying shit I'll never watch or watch only once.

That being said...I have no idea how/why people have 600-800 blu-rays already...that is crazy to me,
but to each their own.
Not really crazy, If you are a big enough fan of movies, and they entertain you. Personally i have 743 movies on bluray now, which is only a fraction of the 3000 dvds i had at one point. For the most part I only buy what I like, the exceptions being if there are some really great documentaries or behind the scenes stuff that explores why that particular movie turned out less than stellar. (after all its always been joked that quite a few DVD and now Bluray special features can be like your own personal film school, the way some of them really delve into the inner workings of a production, (excluding the fluff pieces of course) I never blind buy anything, with my career being what it is I have seen every movie to come to theatres in the last 15 years for free quite a few multiple times) so everything i buy ive seen. And everything i buy i make a point to watch asap, and watch multiple times.

but like you said to each their own.
Old 10-12-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

1) Time
2) Space
3) Have most of what I want
4) Money
Old 10-12-10, 01:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

netflix and it's instant streaming have caused me to buy wayyyyyyyy less.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.