Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Ginger Snaps" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 23

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Ginger Snaps (2000)

IMDB PAGE

Selected by tarfrimmer.

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 Films in 31 Days Subset.

Main Discussion Thread | The List Thread

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Challenge Home

Old 10-10-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Ginger Snaps" Reviews/Discussion - 2010 Horror Challenge: Day 23

Ginger Snaps is an excellent film and I'm really glad someone picked it for this challenge. It's a great fresh modern day take on the werewolf mythos. I wasn't as fond of the sequels.

Spoiler:
However, it really bothers me this never received a proper widescreen original aspect ratio US home release. I've been tempted to hunt down the canadian "collector's edition" but am too cheap. It's amazing how some movies can spawn franchise sequels but never get proper home video masters. Hopefully this gets an upgrade soon, maybe blu-ray.
Old 10-10-10, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this for the first time the other day and loved it. I know were sparking this discussion early but using lycanism as a metaphor for puberty? So awesome.
Old 10-11-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Ginger Snaps is an excellent film and I'm really glad someone picked it for this challenge. It's a great fresh modern day take on the werewolf mythos. I wasn't as fond of the sequels.

However, it really bothers me this never received a proper widescreen original aspect ratio US home release. I've been tempted to hunt down the canadian "collector's edition" but am too cheap. It's amazing how some movies can spawn franchise sequels but never get proper home video masters. Hopefully this gets an upgrade soon, maybe blu-ray.
I got my Canadian copy off Amazon or Half.com about a year ago for around 10 bucks used. Since I love the film, it is quite worth the few extra bucks to get the collector's edition just for the OAR.

And as a big fan of this movie, I too was disappointed by the sequels. Haven't tried to watch those in quite some time since my memory of them was that they were pretty poor (with the third film just being plain out strange).

Since I watched this not too long ago, I probably won't give a full review but just to say that it, along with Dog Soldiers, are two of the best werewolf films ever and rank up there with American Werewolf In London.
Old 10-12-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow

Spoiler:
I got lucky and found it randomly used in a local Bay Area DVD/CD/Vinyl chain store for maybe $8.

I think the cheapest you can get it new is like $10-$13 new on Amazon/Ebay.
Old 10-12-10, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wish lionsgate (or whoever owns it now) would hurry up and release this on blu-ray
Old 10-13-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked this movie but the one thing that always bothered me was nobody in the high school ever went into the principal's office or tried calling him the entire day. His car has to be still parked there and unless my memory is hazy, the last thing anyone saw of him was when he had two young girls in his office before his door was closed for the rest of the day. Nope, nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-13-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love the movie and got to see it on the big screen in Canada upon its initial release. I also have the Canadian DVD.
Old 10-19-10, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by takingchase
I watched this for the first time the other day and loved it. I know were sparking this discussion early but using lycanism as a metaphor for puberty? So awesome.
It's a simple idea, but original and effective.

The first sequel isn't great, but pretty inoffensive. I've heard enough about the second sequel to stay far away. But the original is one of the best horror flicks to come out of the 2000s.
Old 10-19-10, 10:07 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie. The Canadian DVD is definitely the way to go.

Haven't seen the sequels; heard bad things about both, but I've always been curious about them anyway.

It's a shame Katharine Isabelle doesn't have a bigger career.
Old 10-23-10, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Burgundy LaRue
It's a simple idea, but original and effective.

The first sequel isn't great, but pretty inoffensive. I've heard enough about the second sequel to stay far away. But the original is one of the best horror flicks to come out of the 2000s.
Yes, they play out that idea/connection very well.

I sort of liked the sequel. Watching the third as we 'speak', and it isn't awful. But maybe I'm just liking the chances to see the two leads again, really like them in these roles, and hope they get more work.
Old 10-23-10, 02:15 PM

A major blip on the werewolf movie radar. The werewolf mythos has always been my favorite of the classic monster stories. After the 80's started with such a bang, the werewolf movies really disappointed (or disappeared) for quite a while. Bad Moon was a breath of fresh air in '96, but Ginger Snaps just seemed to come out of nowhere, becoming one of my favorites the first time I ever saw it. Skip the sequels.
Old 10-23-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The first is good but as others have said skip the sequel.
Old 10-23-10, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the first sequel...
Old 10-24-10, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Clever werewolf movie about two oddball sisters, one of whom gets bitten by a werewolf. When I first saw this eight or so years ago, I was rather underwhelmed; however, I now find it to be a fine addition to the werewolf canon. Both leads are superb, the script is witty and poignant, and there are enough twists on the traditional werewolf mythos that I at times felt like I was seeing a werewolf film for the first time. Shares the same theme as The Company of Wolves, but, unlike that film, Ginger Snaps doesn't try to drench everything in symbolism to the point of obtuseness. The only letdowns, and they're minor ones, are that the film feels somewhat overlong and the creature design isn't up to snuff. Other than that, I'd rank it as the best werewolf film of the last twenty-five years.
Old 10-25-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always enjoyed this film. Packed full of the best one-liners/quotes from any movie I've seen for this year's Challenge.

I don't think I've seen the sequels. Isn’t there also a prequel?
Old 10-25-10, 10:23 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 2nd movie is a sequel, the 3rd movie is a prequel that takes place in the 19th century.
Old 10-28-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
Me too!
Old 10-28-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i wish they'd release this on blu-ray...my third favorite werewolf film behind AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON and THE WOLFMAN (the original)
Old 10-28-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
I know were sparking this discussion early but using lycanism as a metaphor for puberty? So awesome.
My wife and I have long recommended Ginger Snaps to friends of ours that are parents of teen (or soon to be teen) girls for that very reason.

And as Undeadcow already mentioned, it is a damn shame this film hasn't received better DVD treatment.
Old 10-31-10, 04:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember reading about this one online for awhile before I had the chance to see it. I think I fall a little bit more in love with it with each viewing and it's quickly made its way into my top three werewolf films -- The Howling and An American Werewolf in London being my favorites since I was a little girl.

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
Same here. The first time I saw it, I wasn't all that crazy about it, but the second time around, I found I enjoyed it more. I think the first definitely outshines the rest of the series, but I still find them all fun to watch.

Originally Posted by Trevor
But maybe I'm just liking the chances to see the two leads again, really like them in these roles, and hope they get more work.
And that may be why!
Old 11-02-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i wish lionsgate (or whoever owns it now) would hurry up and release this on blu-ray
I have the latest release. Ginger Snaps Back which I like a lot. I haven't bought or even seen any of the others yet. But there's no need to buy them now until the bluray releases come out that is.