Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

GoHastings - Out of stock on order info page?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe someone can help me with this - 2 days ago I bought a few used DVDs. Nothing that others would likely be interested in, mostly obscure foreign films. All showed in stock, ships in 48 hours. I ordered 3 of them and didn't think much of it.

I checked on the order today (online) and 2 of the items show out of stock. The other shows "In stock, ships within 48 hours"

I guess what I'm unsure of, is that related to my order, or is that the current site-status if you were to re-order? In other words, is it showing "out of stock" for new orders now because I ordered the last ones, or is it showing "out of stock" for my order, meaning it won't ship?

The 2 out of stock items (on my order details) show out of stock on the site. The "In stock" item shows "In Stock" on the site as well.

I've emailed them, but being the weekend I don't expect a response for a few days.Hoping someone else is more familiar with this.

The status is "In Progress" for all 3

Last edited by SPIDERone; 09-18-10 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: GoHastings - Out of stock on order info page?

This has happened to me several times and seems to be a toss up as to if your purchase put the item out of stock so it's on the way or if the item was just out of stock to begin with. Gohastings has a big problem with inventory control and often on obscure titles their "in stock" is unreliable. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the site.

Their policy is to hold 'out of stock' orders open (i.e. "in progress") for 7 days just in case they get stock but will cancel after a week.

They has good customer service and if the item(s) get in stock within the next few weeks you should be able to order and get them to match the current price even if their asking price rises by calling them.
Old 09-18-10, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
This has happened to me several times and seems to be a toss up as to if your purchase put the item out of stock so it's on the way or if the item was just out of stock to begin with. Gohastings has a big problem with inventory control and often on obscure titles their "in stock" is unreliable. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with the site.

If it hasn't been shipped out within 3 days I would assume they are holding the order open for 7 days just in case they get stock but that it will eventually be cancelled.
Thanks for the reply! I guess it's just the waiting game now then.

Do they offer any options or "sorry" for this happening.. whether a discount on a "New" version (opposed to used if it's out of stock) or basically just a "Sorry, out of stock." email?
Old 09-18-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Do they offer any options or "sorry" for this happening.. whether a discount on a "New" version (opposed to used if it's out of stock) or basically just a "Sorry, out of stock." email?
If you want to call customer service they can likely project if the item is a dead end or en route.

There's a current buy 2 get 1 free promotion and if one of those gets cancelled and you act indignant I understand they've offered a giftcard or refunded a full priced item (if a "free" item was cancelled).

Generally there are no consolations...

"Your order placed on 08/03/2010 has been completed.

The following item(s) have been cancelled. Either the item(s) were cancelled at your request or our sources were unable to ship the item(s) due to availability. You will not be charged for any cancelled items. We apologize for any inconvenience."
Old 09-20-10, 12:26 AM

Just got shipping confirmations on all 3!

Hope it helps someone in the future in a similar situation.. if an order is still "in progress" and shows "Out of stock" on the order status page, but was in stock when ordered, theres a definite chance that the item you ordered put it out of stock.

Very confusing as by looking at it, it gives the impression that they went to fulfill the order and noticed it was out of stock.