Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Old 07-26-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post all discussions on these three services in one convenient thread.

Xbox Live Arcade
Used to be a platform for smaller, fun games but is now another platform for first/third person shooters.
Used to be a platform for smaller arcade style games but is becoming a platform for smaller retail/commercial style games.

PixyJunket's Recommendations:

Kedrix's Recommendations:

Decker's Recommendations:

fumanstan's Recommendations:

Xbox Live Indie Games
Where the smaller, fun games went.. if you can find them hidden in the Zombie, Avatar and Fart games.
Where the smaller, arcade style games went.. but you have to find them. These DVDTalk recommendations should get you started.

Xbox Live Game Room
Old, shitty games (lol ROMs) wrapped under a pretty sweet interface.

01. Time Pilot
02. Tower of Doom
03. Pitfall!
04. Shao-Lin's Road
05. Mr. Goemon

Kedrix's Recommendations:
01. Centipede
02. Crystal Castles
03. Time Pilot
04. Gyruss
05. Tower of Doom

Last edited by PixyJunket; 07-27-10 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-26-10, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

I'm just going to take another moment here to hype the hell out of Protect Me Knight. It might be the most fun I've had on my Xbox 360 since Geometry Wars 2. It's pretty fun in single player by itself, but if you ever have anobody over that would play local co-op, this is a game you really MUST own.

Also, Tower of Doom on Game Room is a sick, awesome game, for reals. It could be the meatiest value on Game Room right now (it is an RPG, after all). Unfortunately, it's slightly confusing as hell. I made #8 on the worldwide leaderboard and I'm still pretty clueless on certain aspects of the game (such as what most of the traps do) and the whole item color coloration. I couldn't find a good resource online for additional help either.

Mr. Goemon was a crazy surprise to me as well. It is hard as hell but in a way that you can build yourself up to it.
Old 07-26-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The official Xbox Live Arcade/Indie Games/Game Room Thread of Space Bucks for Fun

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Used to be a platform for smaller, fun games but is now another platform for first/third person shooters.

Where the smaller, fun games went.. if you can find them hidden in the Zombie, Avatar and Fart games.

And remember kids, every game on all three services is too expensive!
Welcome to Pixy's 1st Post In the Thread, an official "No Spin Zone".
Old 07-26-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That reminds me... I gotta order more space bucks this week. Any deals?
Old 07-26-10, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Welcome to Pixy's 1st Post In the Thread, an official "No Spin Zone".
Exaggerations aside, there HAS been a major shift in focus on XBLA and you really can't deny that looking at the "Top Downloads" section of XBLIG is not only depressing, but shame-worthy.

Originally Posted by chuckd21
That reminds me... I gotta order more space bucks this week. Any deals?
Amazon has 1600 for $16.54, a lukewarm deal, but a deal all the same.
Old 07-26-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, if anybody wants to give their Top Five for each service, post them in the same format (with marketplace links for XBLA/XBLIG) and I'll stick them in the OP.
Old 07-26-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post all discussions on these three services in one convenient thread.
Convenience?! WTF? Who needs that ?
(I suck at links because I'm at work )
Xbox Live Arcade
Kedrix's XBLA Recommendations:
1. Puzzle Quest 1 (until I get PQ2 probably)
2. Bomberman Live (best XBLA multiplayer ever)
3. Shadow Complex
4. Marvel vs Capcom 2
5. tie: Poker Smash/Peggle (I'm not sure what it is about these games, but they are addicting as hell)

Xbox Live Indie Games
Seriously, I have not touched these enough to make recommendations, except that Breath of Death VII is awesome, that is all

Xbox Live Game Room
Kedrix's Game Room Recommendations:
01. Centipede
02. Crystal Castles
03. Time Pilot
04. Gyruss
05. Tower of Doom (I just wish I knew what I was doing)

Last edited by Kedrix; 07-26-10 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-26-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Xbox Live Arcade

June:
Snoopy Flying Ace
Earthworm Jim
Neo Geo Battle Colloseum
Space Ark
Duke Nukem
Risk Factions
Ancients of Ooga
Puzzle Quest 2

July
Monkey Island 2
Blacklight Tango Down
Deathspank
Deadliest Warrior
Limbo
Hydro Thunder

August
Castlevania: Harmony of Dispair
Monday Night Combat
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Yeah... they're really stuck in a rut lately. Hell you can go all the way back to March and still only add Perfect Dark, Doom and Metal Slug to the "shooter" list. So roughly 5 shooters in 6 months. "Shift in focus" - my ass.
Old 07-26-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

My Top Five XBLA Games
1: Shadow Complex
2: Splosion Man
3: Peggle (+ Peggle Nights DLC)
4: Castle Crashers
5: Toy Soldiers

Last edited by Decker; 07-26-10 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Made it look all fancy-schmancy the way Pixy likes it.
Old 07-26-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah... they're really stuck in a rut lately.
Wow. I mean, yikes.

A shift in focus is absolutely there, XBLA games are now much bigger, over produced and "commercially viable" than before. Almost every game you listed subscribes to this shift. Just like every XBLIG isn't a fart game, obviously not every XBLA game is a shooter. I'm sorry (but not surprised) I had to actually explain that.
Old 07-26-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

XBLA is too commercial. Sell outs!
Old 07-26-10, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

XBLA is the Metallica of video gaming.

Seriously, though, it's a good shift as the Indie Games allow smaller development houses to get their stuff out there without having to charge prices that people aren't willing to pay.
Old 07-26-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

A shift in focus is absolutely there, XBLA games are now much bigger, over produced and "commercially viable" than before. Almost every game you listed subscribes to this shift.
And a lot of them got either great reviews or were well received. What's wrong with a well produced game that is actually worth the price of admission? We can't all subscribe to the "if it's not indie, it's not worth my time" mentality. Trashing the service and games we all come in here to discuss daily wasn't the right way to start off the thread. We get it, you haven't bought anything since Shadow Complex (which actually falls into the "over produced and "commercially viable" angle), but the rest of us do.

I'm sorry (but not surprised) I had to actually explain that.
I know we like to bump heads, but come on, is that necessary?
Old 07-26-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kedrix
05. Tower of Doom (I just wish I knew what I was doing)
First thing you gotta know to know is that you can have eight items max, including whatever you have equipped. Using X in your inventory box drops items but it's in a pain in the ass to do this in corridors, either there are just locations that you can't drop items in or you have to be lined up so perfectly to do it. I tend to drop things I don't need in open rooms. Using A in your inventory box "uses" items. For consumables, you consume them, food, potions, rigs, cloaks, etc., effects happens immediately. For weapons, you'll equip the weapon. For treasures, you'll "cash in" the treasure and get the points/experience for that treasure.

Also note that you get a larger number of points/experience for all treasures on hand each time you go up a flight of stairs. So it's better to keep some higher valued treasures on hand and cash in extras you pick up along the way. Now WHAT is more valuable is the rough part. I'm assuming each item has a different value (a crown is probably worth more than coins, for instance) but that's clouded by the item's color. Each item other than food has a color that indicates its value, strength or whether it'll have a positive or negative effects. If you look at the instructions, it says that certain towers the colors are set while others the colors are randomized. I believe the tower used for Ranked Mode is one where colors and randomized. I also believe that exhausting a projectile weapon will give you and idea of the color scale. If you pay attention to the last couple of colors the item is before it runs out, you might get an idea. In my last game, I used up a throwing axe and the last two colors were green and purple sure enough, any green items I used had negative effects.

I hope that helps a little.. still kind of figuring it out myself.
Old 07-26-10, 10:25 AM

(Tower of Doom)First thing you gotta know to know is ...

I hope that helps a little.. still kind of figuring it out myself.

No, honestly thank you. There isn't much information out there for this one and anything helps. I do want to take the time to mess with it more and this will hopefully go some of the way.

However, I think that in itself is a problem with Game Room. There will be gems like this one that most people completely gloss over because of the lack of information out there about how to play some of these.
Old 07-26-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think there's more shumps on XBLA then first person shooters. But those are ok because the genre isn't mainstream yet.
Old 07-26-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
XBLA is the Metallica of video gaming.

Seriously, though, it's a good shift as the Indie Games allow smaller development houses to get their stuff out there without having to charge prices that people aren't willing to pay.
Well, I never said it was a bad thing, mind you. Never. Hell, one of the games in my Top Five falls DIRECTLY under the over produced shooter banner. I don't know if I can agree that it's a better change though, obviously. It's a change, that's it. Though in general, you're not going to have the same level of quality in the smaller, more arcadey games and genres prevalent on XBLA before from indie developers than from more experienced developers, some exceptions allowed (in both directions). Developers with a previously established pedigree (Behemoth and Twisted Pixel, for instance) will be allowed to take some chances and you may get something in the same vein if it's a remake/sequel to a classic (Mega Man, Rocket Knight, etc.) but otherwise, there's a lot more flash than substance nowadays and DeathSpank is a shining example of that.

I guess I shouldn't have attempted a little sarcasm in the opening post as it just gave the same couple of people a chance to jump into attack mode and derail the thread the second it was posted, as usual.
Old 07-26-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Convenience?!
4. Marvel vs Capcom 2
This one over Super Street Fighter 2 HD Turbo Remix (or whatever combo of those words they actually called it)? Because I thought that game was superior to MvC2 in just about every way. Certainly MvC2 is a good game, but after hearing for years how it was the Holy Grail of discontinued video games, the port seemed a little sloppy and lazy to me. Personally, I liked the super-crisp, great-playing SSFII remake a lot better.
Old 07-26-10, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
This one over Super Street Fighter 2 HD Turbo Remix (or whatever combo of those words they actually called it)? Because I thought that game was superior to MvC2 in just about every way. Certainly MvC2 is a good game, but after hearing for years how it was the Holy Grail of discontinued video games, the port seemed a little sloppy and lazy to me. Personally, I liked the super-crisp, great-playing SSFII remake a lot better.
Never bought it . I probably should, but alas it got lost in the shuffle. Honestly, MvC2 for me is totally entertaining. Sheer amount of characters+different teams+challenging but not too cheap computer opponent = lots of fun. Then again I'm not a hardcore fighter fan, I like my fighters arcadey and full of options. It could also be because I absolutely suck at most fighting games in multiplayer and didn't need yet another Street Fighter game for somebody to whoop my ass in .
Old 07-26-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. I mean, yikes.

A shift in focus is absolutely there, XBLA games are now much bigger, over produced and "commercially viable" than before. Almost every game you listed subscribes to this shift. Just like every XBLIG isn't a fart game, obviously not every XBLA game is a shooter. I'm sorry (but not surprised) I had to actually explain that.
Hey, Try Not to Fart is a good game!
Old 07-26-10, 10:49 AM

I wasted many quarters on Hydro Thunder in the arcade. I hope that Hydro Thunder Hurricane meets my (admittedly inflated) expectations.
Old 07-26-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My random Top 5 XBLA games. I don't spend that much time trying out every single game, so mine are fairly limited.

1. Castle Crashers
2. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (and Monkey 2)
3. Bomberman Live
4. Shadow Complex
5. Pinball FX
Old 07-26-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I wasted many quarters on Hydro Thunder in the arcade. I hope that Hydro Thunder Hurricane meets my (admittedly inflated) expectations.
My understanding is that it will not.
Old 07-26-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, honestly thank you. There isn't much information out there for this one and anything helps. I do want to take the time to mess with it more and this will hopefully go some of the way.
Well if you make sense of a few things, post 'em here!

I forgot to mention keys. These aren't for opening doors but instead they're supposed to allow you to be unaffected by a certain trap, I'm guessing each color of key invalidates a different trap. In general, I find these to be a waste of an inventory spot.. most (maybe all) of the traps seem to be minor annoyances more than crippling dangers. I would probably keep a key around if it stopped the confusion or paralysis traps, but that's it. At least, from what I gather now. I have no idea what most of the traps do unfortunately.

I wish I had come to the useless key conclusion before my last game, carrying an extra two treasures with me for that run would have moved me up a few more slots on the leaderboard.

However, I think that in itself is a problem with Game Room. There will be gems like this one that most people completely gloss over because of the lack of information out there about how to play some of these.
Hmm, I don't know. I think most of them are explained well enough, more so than you'd get on instruction cards in arcades, definitely, but maybe not to the degree instruction manuals would (for the console games). Tower of Doom seems to be the exception here based on how much more complex it is over other arcade and early console games.
Old 07-26-10, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
My understanding is that it will not.

Found this review, seemed very enthusiastic (perhaps a little too enthusiastic?). Never heard of the site though:

http://www.xboxic.com/news/6382

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.