Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Screamers widescreen (ORIGINAL VERSION)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-07-10, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know where to find the original Peter Weller Screamers dvd.....I have searched the web and nothing.....the only discs I can find are overseas Pal versions of the movie. Thanks for the help !!!!
Old 07-07-10, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Screamers widescreen (ORIGINAL VERSION)

There's isn't an R1 widescreen version, which sucks. I like the movie.
Old 07-07-10, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
There's isn't an R1 widescreen version, which sucks. I like the movie.
Yes, there was. The original pressing was a flipper with the WS on one side, the FF on the other. It was one of those titles like SHEENA and HARD TIMES (amongst many others) that the studio later dropped one side of the disc to save costs. In these cases, the WS got dropped.

Just keep an eye out at used DVD stores or ask marketplace sellers if they have the old flipper version.
Old 07-07-10, 07:12 PM

I've seen it used at fye for around $4.
Old 07-07-10, 09:47 PM

I suspect the FS version is open-matte. When I watched it, the
subtitles seemed higher that usual. I zoomed it to fill 16X9 and still
had the subtitles clearly on screen. I've never seen this theatrically and
have no basis for comparison, but nothing struck me as cramped or missing.
Old 07-08-10, 07:08 AM

I actually have a fullscreen version .....do you think that the widescreen version on that flipper dvd is just cropped (top and bottom) to 16x9 with no more information on the sides of the image than the fullscreen version ? If that is the case, then that REALLY SUCKS !!!!
Old 07-08-10, 08:59 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I've had the original Screamers DVD for quite awhile now, when I was reseaching to buy it I looked high and low for a widescreen edition of this movie, never found it. The FS version looks pretty good on my 53" WS HDTV though so I'm not complaining (very loudly anyway). -kd5-
Old 07-08-10, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by samre5
I actually have a fullscreen version .....do you think that the widescreen version on that flipper dvd is just cropped (top and bottom) to 16x9 with no more information on the sides of the image than the fullscreen version ? If that is the case, then that REALLY SUCKS !!!!
A quick comparison of the two versions shows that the FF one is indeed open-matte and gains some extra image on the top and bottom. The widescreen version does have a bit of extra image on the sides, though.
Old 07-08-10, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine
A quick comparison of the two versions shows that the FF one is indeed open-matte and gains some extra image on the top and bottom. The widescreen version does have a bit of extra image on the sides, though.
Are you saying that you actually have the flipper disc and have made a physical comparison between the two? If so, you have what I am searching for to no avail........

Last edited by samre5; 07-08-10 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-08-10, 07:39 PM

Are you saying that you actually have the flipper disc and have made a physical comparison between the two? If so, you have what I am searching for to no avail........
Yes, I actually have the original flipper vesion which I bought when it first came out (and it has a 6-page Screamers fold-out booklet as well as a Columbia DVD catalog inside it). From what I saw by doing the comparison, the widescreen version doesn't really offer that much more on the sides so if you can never find the original disc, you aren't really missing much. Anyway, the flipper disc does exist - hopefully you can find one at a cheap price someday.
Old 07-08-10, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by man*machine
the flipper disc does exist - hopefully you can find one at a cheap price someday.
At this point, it would give me a great degree of satisfaction just to see what the dvd case looks like.......do you have an image of the dvd case that you can upload to this thread....if that's even possible ? I personally tried it once and failed. Thanks
Old 07-08-10, 09:07 PM

Ya, there's something really wonky right now on this site preventing anyone from posting a pic, but I will send you the back cover scan personally. I assume the front cover is the same.

----------

Last edited by man*machine; 07-08-10 at 09:21 PM. Reason: edit
Old 07-08-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

FYI The sequel has been showing up at Big Lots lately

Last edited by SterlingBen; 07-08-10 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 08:08 AM

DeepDiscount.com actually had the 2 sided disc......at least they claim to have it.......I ordered it and I will post back here with the results if it's a "bait 'n' switch" or not......I've heard some stories about "Fullscreen discs" in boxes with the old UPC code linked to "Widescreen disc". Thanks to that DUDE who posted the link........I got to it before "Big Brother" removed the post.
Old 07-09-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DeepDiscount.com actually had the 2 sided disc......at least they claim to have it.......I ordered it and I will post back here with the results if it's a "bait 'n' switch" or not......I've heard some stories about "Fullscreen discs" in boxes with the old UPC code linked to "Widescreen disc". Thanks to that DUDE who posted the link........I got to it before "Big Brother" removed the post.
The UPC's are the same for both releases. Some on-line retailers never noticed or got around to updating their product descriptions, though.
Old 07-09-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check Amazon third-party sellers and ask them to verify if disc is a flipper.
Old 07-09-10, 01:29 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
The UPC's are the same for both releases. Some on-line retailers never noticed or got around to updating their product descriptions, though.
Confirmed. The UPC# as reported by Deep Discount for their version of this DVD is the same UPC# that is listed on the back of my Full Screen edition of Screamers (0 43396 11869 0). -kd5-
Old 07-09-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep an eye out for old Sony flippers at Half Price Books locations. That's where I usually find them.
Old 07-09-10, 07:04 PM

You guys aren't exactly filling me with confidence about my recent purchase.....this is going to REALLY SUCK if that Screamers DVD is not a flipper......as described below >>>>>>

This action-packed sci-fi thriller is set upon the planet Sirius 6B in the year 2078. The planet has been decimated by a vast nuclear war. Many have survived, but their continued survival is threatened by the dreaded screamers, strange shape-changing mechanical creatures who use razor sharp knives to hack up any life-form in their way. They earned their name because when they kill, they make a horrible high pitched sound. The first screamer makes its appearance as a lone soldier approaches a bunker. He has come to deliver an important message from the NEB to its enemy the Alliance. Unfortunately, the low flying screamer gets to the soldier first, and quicker than Popeil's Vegamatic, slices and dices the fellow into tiny pieces. Later a jet crashes near the bunker. Aboard it is a nuclear reactor. One man survives the crash. The man, Ace, knows how to make a bomb with the reactor. Alliance-leader Col. Joseph Hendricksson takes Ace and they travel across the great irradiated desert to met with the NEB leaders. Along the way they find a small boy and though they don't want to, bring him along. Unfortunately, by the time they get to the NEB headquarters, the screamers have killed all but Becker, a tough soldier, Ross, who is nearly mad, and sexy smuggler Jessica. When Becker and Ross see the boy, they think he is a screamer and kill him. They are right and soon the little group find themselves surrounded by the hellish killing machines, all of which have taken the shapes of small boys. ~ Sandra Brennan, All Movie Guide

Actor/Actress: Jennifer Rubin, Peter Weller, Ron White
Director: Christian Duguay
Format: DVD
Screen Format: Enhanced Wide Screen / Pan and Scan, Pan and Scan
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1, 1.85:1/1.33:1
Rating: R
Runtime (minutes): 108
Year: 1995
UPC: 043396118690
Item Number: COL011869
Production Style: Color
Flags: Gore, Graphic Violence, Not For Children, Profanity, Scary Moments
Produced By: 3009122 Canada, Allegro Film, Fries Film Company, Fuji Eight Co., Ltd., Jaffa Road XXXI Limited Partnership, Triumph
Released By: Columbia TriStar
Sides: 2
Old 07-09-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Deep Discount also claims their Idle Hands is a flipper, and it's just the FS version.

You're likely fucked.
Old 07-09-10, 09:55 PM

I remember seeing "Screamers" on a VHS rental about a decade ago and liking it, but haven't seen it since. Ideally we would see a re-release of some kind on DVD/Blu, and though I might try to hunt down the flipper release in the future, I'll probably just wait for a new release.

Scott

Last edited by AlwaysOAR; 07-09-10 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-10-10, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Deep Discount also claims their Idle Hands is a flipper, and it's just the FS version.

You're likely fucked.
Someone please launch a SCUD in the general direction of DeepDiscount.com..........." I fffphart in your general direction" !!!!
Old 07-10-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 977 Likes on 607 Posts

I have the original flipper version, too. One of my favorite underappreciated SF movies, I remember seeing it in the theater long, long ago. Good luck with your search!
Old 07-10-10, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I have the original flipper version, too. One of my favorite underappreciated SF movies, I remember seeing it in the theater long, long ago. Good luck with your search!
That's a BIG 10-4 on that one.......I think the storyline and the characters in this movie are incredible, set aside the very dated spfx. I really became absorbed into the emotional aspect and the story and Peter Weller is just fantastic.......I really would hate to see this movie remade through the eyes of the "new generation" of movie-makers..., ala', "Twilight"......I would have to throw up. "Planet of the apes" is a perfect example of fucking up a movie that should NOT be remade. My opinion
Old 07-10-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Did it ever come out in widescreen on laserdisc?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.