Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Can I Exchange an Item at Wal-Mart Without the Box?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm quite upset right now. I bought a Phillips DVD player last month because of it's capability to play any region and it's PAL conversion. Well everything has been fine until today. I got a R2 DVD in the mail and played it for a short while and everything was fine. I go back to play some more of it and all I am getting is static in the audio. I have it plugged into an audio receiver so I thought it was the left speaker, since the audio coming out of the center and right speakers was fine, so I checked the wiring and changed the speaker and nothing helped. I played a different DVD and still got static, so I decided to play it through the coaxial cables directly to the TV, still getting static. Even when I tried component cables, still, static.

My question here is can I go back to Wal-Mart, receipt in hand, and exchange it? I don't have the box anymore though. Also, I don't know what WM's return/exchange policy is, but I bought this on April 22 and obviously it's been more than 30 days now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Okay, apparently it is working now. I don't know what happened, I hadn't touched the DVD player or the cables between viewings, but whatever I guess it works now. But for future reference if anyone could answer this for me it would be great, Thanks!

Last edited by The Monkees; 05-24-10 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Can I Exchange an Item at Wal-Mart Without the Box?

I think you would need the box.
Old 05-25-10, 08:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Walmart is 90 days.

They might exchange without box, but YMMV, may charge a restocking fee as well.

You could just buy it again, and return the broken one in the new box for a full redund.

But you really should save all boxes for at least the full manufacturer warranty period. Just keep them under a bed or in the shed/basement/whatever.
Old 05-25-10, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walmart has one of the most Lax return policies. I am not a practicing lawyer yet, but I do want to say that you usually can return items their.

Say you lost the receipt. Most walmarts will use your drivers license and let you return stuff without a receipt 2 times a year. If you have your receipt and no box you are very okay. The guy at the door will give you a 0 sticker and they will go back and scan another of the same item.
Old 05-25-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as you've got the receipt, I don't think they would give you a problem, because what you originally wanted to do was return defective merchandise, not make an exchange.
Old 05-25-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was this an actual listed feature of the player or some kind of "hack" that enabled other regions to be playable. Is it listed online?
Old 05-25-10, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
Was this an actual listed feature of the player or some kind of "hack" that enabled other regions to be playable. Is it listed online?
thats what i was thinking..
Old 05-25-10, 10:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't think any player has it listed as a feature, at least in the US, but I think around a quarter of all players have easy to google hacks to make them region free.
Old 05-29-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not listed on the box. It was a code you typed in. The player is set up to play any type of video (NTSC or PAL) I didn't do anything for that. But all I had to do was type in a code, then a thing showed up in the menu to allow me to select what regions I wanted the player to be accept. So it's definitely part of the player since it shows up in the menu, you just had to put in a code.

On another note I may need to exchange it anyway, I'm having audio problems again. This time the audio seems to just cut out. I'm playing through an HDMI now. I don't know, I may go in and exchange it anyway just to see.