Reload this Page >

Metropolis - The Complete Collection ---> November 2010

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 04-08-10, 07:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kino International Releases the new restoration of Fritz Lang's Masterpiece: The Complete Metropolis

New York, April 5, 2010 - Kino International is proud to announce the North American release of the new restoration of Fritz Lang's 1927 science fiction masterpiece METROPOLIS, now with 25 minutes of lost footage and the original Gottfried Huppertz score.

This new 147-minute version, being released as THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS, premiered on February 12 at the Berlin Film Festival and will have its first US showing on April 25 at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, as part of the TCM Classic Film Festival.

The film's national theatrical release will commence on May 7, with a NY premiere at Film Forum, and on April 14, at Laemle's Royal Theater in Los Angeles - followed by runs in all major markets throughout the US and Canada. The DVD and Blu-ray release is set for November of this year.

Seldom has the rediscovery of a cache of lost footage ignited such widespread curiosity as did the announcement, in July 2008, that an essentially complete copy of Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS had been found.

CUTS AND MAJOR RESTORATIONS:

When it was first screened in Berlin on January 10, 1927, the sci-fi epic ran an estimated 153 minutes. After its premiere engagement, in an effort to maximize the film's commercial potential, the film's distributors (Ufa in Germany, Paramount in the U.S.) drastically shortened METROPOLIS, which had been a major disappointment at the German box office.

By the time it debuted in the states latter that year, the film ran approximately 90 minutes (exact running times are difficult to determine because silent films were not always projected at a standardized speed).

METROPOLIS went on to become one of the cornerstones of science fiction cinema foreshadowing BLADE RUNNER and THE MATRIX to name just a few recent examples. Testament to its enduring popularity, the film has undergone numerous restorations in the intervening decades.

In 1984, the film was reissued with additional footage, color tints, and a pop rock score (but with many of its intertitles removed) by music producer Giorgio Moroder. A more archival restoration was completed in 1987, under the direction of Enno Patalas of the Munich Film Archive, in which missing scenes were represented with title cards and still photographs. More recently, the 2001 restoration combined footage from four archives and ran at a triumphant 124 minutes. It was widely believed that this would be the most complete version of Lang's film that contemporary audiences could ever hope to see.

But, in the summer of 2008, the curator of the Buenos Aires Museo del Cine discovered a 16mm dupe negative that was considerably longer than any existing print. It included not merely a few additional snippets, but 25 minutes of "lost" footage, about a fifth of the film, that had not been seen since its Berlin debut. The discovery of such a significant amount of material called for yet another restoration.

This was executed by Anke Wilkening of the Murnau Stiftung (Foundation), the German institution that is the caretaker of virtually all pre 1945 German films, Martin Koerber Film Department Curator of the Deutche Kinemateque and on the music side, by Frank Stoebel.

The result of their work was first seen by the public on February 12 at the 1600 seat Friederichstrasse Palaste, accompanied by a 60-piece orchestra playing the original 1927 score by Huppertz. The public and critical response was ecstatic.

Regarding the quality of the added footage Ms. Wilkening has said:

"The work on the restoration teaches us once more that no restoration is ever definitive," says Wilkening, "Even if we are allowed for the first time to come as close to the first release as ever before, the new version will still remain an approach. The rediscovered sections which change the film's composition, will at the same time always be recognizable through their damages as those parts that had been lost for 80 years."

Further information on THE COMPLETE METROPOLIS and annotations of all recovered scenes - as well as images, clips and theatrical playdates - will be uploaded to the new Metropolis website, which goes live on April 15. The site will be hosted at www.kino.com/metropolis.

Other films currently in release or opening soon through Kino International are: AJAMI, Oscar-nominated for Best Foreign Film from Israel; DOGTOOTH winner of the Best Film Award at the Un Certain Regard section of Cannes 2009, just screened to sold out shows at the New Directors New Films Festivalin New York ; DOUBLE TAKE opening at Film Forum New York on June 2 and WINNEBAGO MAN which opens July 9 at the Sunshine Theatre New York

Kino Lorber is the newly formed company that combines the resources, staffs and libraries of Kino International , Lorber Films, and Alive Mind, bringing together industry leaders Richard Lorber and Donald Krim to create a new leader in independent film distribution.
http://www.kino.com/news/news-article.php?id=89
Old 04-08-10, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Metropolis - The Complete Collection ---> November 2010

mouth-watering!
Old 04-09-10, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I held off on this for all this time.

Last edited by Case01; 04-09-10 at 12:51 AM. Reason: j
Old 04-09-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Old 04-09-10, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fantastic. Ever since I heard about the lost footage being found, I've held off on getting this. I will be getting the Blu-Ray as soon as possible.
Old 04-09-10, 02:14 AM

Great news! I've really been looking forward to this.
Old 04-09-10, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't wait. Will get the Blu. Still wish the Giorgio Moroder version would see the light of day again. I still got my laserdisc copy.
Old 04-09-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza
Can't wait. Will get the Blu. Still wish the Giorgio Moroder version would see the light of day again. I still got my laserdisc copy.
There's someone that's taken the 2002 restoration and added tints, color effects and the Moroder soundtrack. If you order a copy from him, you have to prove that you already have a version of Metropolis. I should get my copy within a week.

http://www.morodermetropolisdvd.com/

Here's some YouTube of the finished result.

http://www.youtube.com/user/metropol.../1/DBQkwa891kc
Old 04-09-10, 03:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I hope there is a 35mm screening here in Washington DC.
Old 04-09-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RKillgore
There's someone that's taken the 2002 restoration and added tints, color effects and the Moroder soundtrack. If you order a copy from him, you have to prove that you already have a version of Metropolis. I should get my copy within a week.

I WANT BOTH!!! Moroder's Redux version and the upcoming Blu-ray.
Ahhh
Old 04-09-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RKillgore

As much as I hate colorization and the like, that was pretty cool...
Old 04-10-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Maybe I'll finally get around to seeing this movie with this release...
Old 04-10-10, 03:20 PM

Glad I held off on this for all this time
Same here. Can't wait to see the complete version.
Old 04-10-10, 04:14 PM

I like this 1927 masterpiece, and am looking forward to the new release. Currently I only own the cheap, low-quality, non-remastered, public-domain version that's included in Mill Creek's "50 Movie Pack: Horror Classics" collection set.

Metropolis was originally filmed in fullscreen (1.33:1 aspect ratio), and I'm just hoping that the new Kino release will uphold it and NOT alter the format into widescreen/letterbox.
Old 04-10-10, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vlyger
Metropolis was originally filmed in fullscreen (1.33:1 aspect ratio), and I'm just hoping that the new Kino release will uphold it and NOT alter the format into widescreen/letterbox.
I would be extremely surprised if they did that. Kino's 2002 restoration was already quite brilliant, and certainly in 1.33:1.
Old 04-10-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the world premiere of the full cut on the internet. They broadcast a live feed from Germany on the night of the premiere.

A lot of stuff added back in, it's really exciting stuff.
Old 04-10-10, 06:40 PM

Glad I waited as well.
Old 04-10-10, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will definately double dip on this. I wonder if they will port over the 45 min. documentary on the previous release and the digital restoration featurette???
Old 05-19-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2S8xiZgfsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2S8xiZgfsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-19-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2S8xiZgfsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2S8xiZgfsg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Honestly, while the new footage is noticeable, it's really not as bad as I was expecting. I can't wait for the Blu-Ray of this...
Old 09-07-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Release date is November 16, 2010.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Metro...dp/B0040QYROA/
Old 09-07-10, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, looks like a Madonna video. I'll wait for the reboot.
Old 09-07-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Will pick this up on Blu-ray. When I heard about the lost footage was really excited for the inevitable release. Looks like never adding this to my collection all these years has finally paid off.